Just so we're clear. . .

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,757
Like?
Just so we're clear. . .
5 months ago

I don't give a rip what sort of camera you use. If you've bought a camera that works for you, Great! Post your photos where we can see them.

If you've bought a camera because someone did some 'trash talking' on a different camera you liked. . . Well, keep your photos. Anyone who could be swayed by the nonsense spouted in these jingoistic threads is probably every bit as bad a photographer as they are a logician.

Use the tools that work for you.  If you don't know what tools work for you, just buy something and start taking pictures. The ONLY way to know that sort of thing is to take pictures and think about them.

-- hide signature --
D 503
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: Just so we're clear. . .
In reply to Glen Barrington, 5 months ago

Glen Barrington wrote:

I don't give a rip what sort of camera you use. If you've bought a camera that works for you, Great! Post your photos where we can see them.

If you've bought a camera because someone did some 'trash talking' on a different camera you liked. . . Well, keep your photos. Anyone who could be swayed by the nonsense spouted in these jingoistic threads is probably every bit as bad a photographer as they are a logician.

Use the tools that work for you. If you don't know what tools work for you, just buy something and start taking pictures. The ONLY way to know that sort of thing is to take pictures and think about them.

-- hide signature --

I still prefer dslr's.

-- hide signature --

Fear is the only darkness

D 503's gear list:D 503's gear list
Olympus E-1 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,695
Like?

PICTURE!!!

sassenach74
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?

Glen Barrington wrote:

Use the tools that work for you. If you don't know what tools work for you, just buy something and start taking pictures. The ONLY way to know that sort of thing is to take pictures and think about them.

-- hide signature --

I don't give a rip that you don't give a rip. You sound a touch bossy.....and angry.......bizarre.

-- hide signature --

Neil.

sassenach74's gear list:sassenach74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,019Gear list
Like?
Go, Glenny, Go !

Senna Pod failure ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Marcamera
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,593
Like?

Glen Barrington wrote:

I've used Minolta, Pentax, Sony, Nikon, Canon and Fuji, never thought of a camera  in terms of brand name, only the purpose that a particular camera was for. None of them disappointed for what they were bough for.

-- hide signature --
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Marcamera, 5 months ago

Marcamera wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

I've used Minolta, Pentax, Sony, Nikon, Canon and Fuji, never thought of a camera in terms of brand name, only the purpose that a particular camera was for. None of them disappointed for what they were bough for.

-- hide signature --

Absolutely correct! However in this forum the gear is the thing  not the purpose of the gear ie taking piccies, not forgetting the fanboi hat as well.

-- hide signature --

'If the enemy is in range..so are you!

Jaberwok's gear list:Jaberwok's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +7 more
jackdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?
In reply to Marcamera, 5 months ago

Marcamera wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

I've used Minolta, Pentax, Sony, Nikon, Canon and Fuji, never thought of a camera in terms of brand name, only the purpose that a particular camera was for. None of them disappointed for what they were bough for.

For those of us who can't afford to buy a different camera for every purpose though we need to think in terms of a brand that offers the best compromises for our purposes.

57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,386Gear list
Like?
In reply to jackdan, 5 months ago

jackdan wrote:

Marcamera wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

For those of us who can't afford to buy a different camera for every purpose though we need to think in terms of a brand that offers the best compromises for our purposes.

Which smartphone do you recommend?

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Jacobite
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, 5 months ago

Martin.au wrote:

PICTURE!!!

Wow! They've certainly taken the new Holden SUV back to basics. 

Jacobite's gear list:Jacobite's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +4 more
Glen Barrington
Like?
Like most photos displayed on DPR. . .
In reply to Martin.au, 5 months ago

It needs to be over sharpened a bit. Why they can't display photos as well as other photos sites surprises and confounds me.

-- hide signature --
Glen Barrington
Like?
In reply to jackdan, 5 months ago

jackdan wrote:

That doesn't make the endless name calling, trash talking, lies, and half truths useful to anyone.  Can that sort of stuff, improve ANYONE'S decision?

-- hide signature --
CallMeAlan
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?
Re: Like most photos displayed on DPR. . .

It needs to be over sharpened a bit.

Eh? How can any pic need to be over sharpened? Isn't that a bad thing?

-- hide signature --

I do wish people would read what they've written before clicking Post. It's so easy to a word out or misspell soemhing.

CallMeAlan's gear list:CallMeAlan's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D800 Pentax K-3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Glen Barrington
Like?
Re: Like most photos displayed on DPR. . .
In reply to CallMeAlan, 5 months ago

CallMeAlan wrote:

It needs to be over sharpened a bit.

Eh? How can any pic need to be over sharpened? Isn't that a bad thing?

-- hide signature --

I do wish people would read what they've written before clicking Post. It's so easy to a word out or misspell soemhing.

Not at all, maybe the term "over-sharpened" is at fault, I was trying to be funny and cynical at the same time, I might not have been as successful as I would have hoped!

But you need to sharpen an image to a level that looks good for the method of how you intend to publish it. Many people do a little extra sharpening just before they print even though they were happy with the base level of sharpness prior to printing.

That is a mild form of sharpening called output sharpening. It is a temporary level of sharpening and you do it just before publication. DPR tends to turn photos to a gooey mush. Many people do some extra output sharpening before they upload to DPR because they know the photo that doesn't have that extra level of sharpening won't look as good as it does on their own monitor at home.

I explain it in this article:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7249856861/on-sharpening-images

-- hide signature --
carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,858Gear list
Like?
In reply to sassenach74, 5 months ago

sassenach74 wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

-- hide signature --

I don't give a rip that you don't give a rip. You sound a touch bossy.....and angry.......bizarre.

-- hide signature --

Neil.

Glen is possibly having "one of those days" normally he is a very helpful member of forum.

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D70
Glen Barrington
Like?
In reply to carl english, 5 months ago

carl english wrote:

sassenach74 wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Neil.

Glen is possibly having "one of those days" normally he is a very helpful member of forum.

I don't think so, though I'm not above having those sorts of days. I think this thread IS helpful. I'm trying to get people to understand that the endless flame war between the mirrorless/DSLR camps does nothing, nothing, to advance photography.

It comes from the same, dark, futile, and lame place as the Mac/PC wars, the Olympus/Canon wars and the Android/iOS wars. It's a waste of bandwidth and creates enemies of people who share many of the same passions.

Members of those groups are doing nothing for their cause, and making themselves look foolish.

-- hide signature --
merops
Contributing MemberPosts: 983
Like?

Glen Barrington wrote:

It comes from the same, dark, futile, and lame place as the Mac/PC wars, the Olympus/Canon wars and ...

What do you mean Olympus/Canon war. Everyone knows it's a Nikon/Canon war!!!!

Oh. Is that a Olympus/Canon/Nikon/Canon war?

Sorry

jackdan
Like?

Glen Barrington wrote:

jackdan wrote:

That doesn't make the endless name calling, trash talking, lies, and half truths useful to anyone. Can that sort of stuff, improve ANYONE'S decision?

It is not clear to me how you got from point A to point B.

Point A being "we need to think in terms of a brand that offers the best compromises for our purposes."

and

Point B being "That doesn't make the endless name calling, trash talking, lies, and half truths useful to anyone."

But of course it doesn't and if I somehow suggested that it did I certainly did not intend to. I was simply reminding someone apparently wealthy enough to buy a variety of cameras to suit different purposes that people who can afford to do so have a different perspective from those of us who can only afford one camera. They probably even have enough space to store all those cameras and lenses.

jackdan
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 5 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

jackdan wrote:

Marcamera wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

Which smartphone do you recommend?

My iPod touch happened to come with an excellent camera and for the phone I use a cheap pay as you go phone. My phone was free and I buy a 1 yr card for $100 that has all the minutes I need in a year and it is amazing how many places have free wi-fi.

crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
In reply to merops, 5 months ago

Olympus/Canon war?

Lol how can Olympus people intimidate Canon?

Reminds me of SMART/Ferrari forum.
SMART forum: I'm stuck in some Ferrarrs intake, help me get out of it!
Ferarri forum: I've got some SMART stuck in my intake system. Help me get it out...

Just joking. Gear is not what matters here. We all propably loose time in this thread..
--
Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads