Lens Suggestions for Newbie with a Panasonic GH4

Started 6 months ago | Questions
scottyd5
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Lens Suggestions for Newbie with a Panasonic GH4
6 months ago

Posted this in the Beginners Questions forum, but would also like some opinions from you guys.
--

I mainly shoot concerts and other live events for IMAG (image magnification) where it's displayed on video boards. I would also be using it to record various events in a "run n gun" atmosphere. Most of the gear I have experience shooting on is pro-sumer type video cameras such as Panasonic AG-HMC80 with fixed lenses. I want to learn about lenses and such so I thought getting a DSLR/M would help me do this and also give me a chance to produce better quality footage.

I've been reading about the Panasonic GH4 and I'm really impressed with it. I went ahead and pre-ordered it, but now I need to decide on lenses. I'm guessing 2 lenses would be a good start. 1 being a close, mid range lens and another being a telephoto. Budget wise I don't want to spend more than a few hundred on each. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions? Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
paul cool
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens Suggestions for Newbie with a Panasonic GH4
In reply to scottyd5, 6 months ago

The 14-140 mm for ease of use ,sharp enough at all focal lengths ,and a good range ,if you could only own one lens in the m43 this would be  the one ,or maybe the Nocticron but that lens is really all about luxury exotic glass,.i actually don't own either but own the two panasonic 12-35 -35-100mm f2.8 lenses and there pretty good and weather sealed ,if you need it .

paul cool's gear list:paul cool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,951
Like?

scottyd5 wrote:

Posted this in the Beginners Questions forum, but would also like some opinions from you guys.
--

I mainly shoot concerts and other live events for IMAG (image magnification) where it's displayed on video boards. I would also be using it to record various events in a "run n gun" atmosphere. Most of the gear I have experience shooting on is pro-sumer type video cameras such as Panasonic AG-HMC80 with fixed lenses. I want to learn about lenses and such so I thought getting a DSLR/M would help me do this and also give me a chance to produce better quality footage.

I've been reading about the Panasonic GH4 and I'm really impressed with it. I went ahead and pre-ordered it, but now I need to decide on lenses. I'm guessing 2 lenses would be a good start. 1 being a close, mid range lens and another being a telephoto. Budget wise I don't want to spend more than a few hundred on each. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions? Thanks!

For concerts and not too much money, the Oly 45 1.8 would be great to start with...12mm f2 is also nice but dearer.    2.8 zoom would be the 3rd I would get and if you get 2.8 zoom that starts at 12mm could maybe do without the 12 f2 (that extra stop could be handy for concerts though).

Oly 45 for individuals under a spotlight would be great.

scottyd5
Like?
In reply to paul cool, 6 months ago

paul cool wrote:

The 14-140 mm for ease of use ,sharp enough at all focal lengths ,and a good range ,if you could only own one lens in the m43 this would be the one ,or maybe the Nocticron but that lens is really all about luxury exotic glass,.i actually don't own either but own the two panasonic 12-35 -35-100mm f2.8 lenses and there pretty good and weather sealed ,if you need it .

The 14-140mm has been recommended to me by a few people so I'm starting to lean towards this. Are you talking about the F3.5-5.6 or F4.0-5.8 ?

honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
In reply to paul cool, 6 months ago

paul cool wrote:

The 14-140 mm for ease of use ,sharp enough at all focal lengths ,and a good range ,if you could only own one lens in the m43 this would be the one ,or maybe the Nocticron but that lens is really all about luxury exotic glass,.i actually don't own either but own the two panasonic 12-35 -35-100mm f2.8 lenses and there pretty good and weather sealed ,if you need it .

It depends on the concert, really. At 90% of the concerts I go to, f/3.5-5.6 borders on being useless, with only f/3.5 truly useful for video. If it's a well lit and large venue, though, it'd definitely be enough. Otherwise, I'd go for one of the f/2.8 zooms, probably the 12-35. You can always use extra tele conversion for more reach.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
paul cool
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
In reply to honeyiscool, 6 months ago

definitely the 14-140mm 3.5_5.6 would be the better option ,i owned the previous one and it was bigger ,more expensive and not as good optically .

paul cool's gear list:paul cool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,706
Like?

Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 with Nikon mount and a Nikon to M43 adapter that can adjust aperature.

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

fevan
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
In reply to PrebenR, 6 months ago

Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 with Nikon mount and a Nikon to M43 adapter that can adjust aperature.

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

When using the sigma what are you sacrificing? Focusing speed?
Is it still 2x crop?

Jason1500
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?

For 'run and gun' I would get the 12-35mm F2.8 it's expensive but it will cover wide to a short telephoto, it has OIS, and it focuses silently. And then maybe add the Sigma 60mm.

Jason1500's gear list:Jason1500's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Rokinon 35mm f/1.4
Jason1500
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
In reply to fevan, 6 months ago

fevan wrote:

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

Is it still 2x crop?

The sigma with the adapter would only be manual focus. Crop with a normal adapter is still 2x but with a metabones speedbooster the crop decreases to 1.42x and you gain an extra stop, so the f1.8 becomes I think f1.1 or 1.2.

Jason1500's gear list:Jason1500's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Rokinon 35mm f/1.4
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,951
Like?
Good point
In reply to honeyiscool, 6 months ago

honeyiscool wrote:

paul cool wrote:

It depends on the concert, really. At 90% of the concerts I go to, f/3.5-5.6 borders on being useless, with only f/3.5 truly useful for video. If it's a well lit and large venue, though, it'd definitely be enough. Otherwise, I'd go for one of the f/2.8 zooms, probably the 12-35. You can always use extra tele conversion for more reach.

whatever lens you get, the GH4 is likely to have ETC which gives a 2.6x lossless teleconverter in video.

That means if you get a 25mm fast prime, you could use it for small groups of people on stage AND use it for individuals.

Most of the concerts I have shot with stills and the few I have tried with video, I want as fast a lens as possible....can always stop down but can not open up a slower lens.

3.5 lens would be about the slowest lens I would want with a GX7 and ISO 3200 ...that would be unusable at a lot of concerts too.

The GH4 might be usable for video at ISO 6400 so maybe get away with a slower lens a bit more often.

There are not many fast lenses for a few hundred dollars though (of course you can use fast legacy lenses and manual focus)....that's why I suggest a 45 1.8 (plus it will also give you a lossless 117mm 1.8 lens for video).

fevan
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
In reply to Jason1500, 6 months ago

fevan wrote:

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

Is it still 2x crop?

The sigma with the adapter would only be manual focus. Crop with a normal adapter is still 2x but with a metabones speedbooster the crop decreases to 1.42x and you gain an extra stop, so the f1.8 becomes I think f1.1 or 1.2.

You actually gain? At no iq sacrifice?
Interesting.

pannumon
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?
In reply to fevan, 6 months ago

fevan wrote:

fevan wrote:

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

Is it still 2x crop?

You actually gain? At no iq sacrifice?
Interesting.

Actually you gain resolution. Or to put it in another words, you re-gain the resolution that is lost because of cropping, because the cropping gets smaller.

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +14 more
pannumon
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?

I think it does not make sens to invest ~1400€/$/£ on the camera body and only ~600 on two lenses, unless you want to use manual focus legacy lenses (that are great). In that case, get a Metabones Speed Booster and fast 28mm, 50mm and maybe 100mm manual focus legacy lenses. If you can get the Olympus 12-50mm powerzoom for 200$/$/£, that's nice, too (but slow aperture-wise). If you want any wide-angle and 4k, you can forget the manual focus legacy lenses, because 4k crops even more than Full HD / stills.

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +14 more
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641
Like?

scottyd5 wrote:

--

Personally I think your going about this the wrong way, your looking at getting a very expensive body and leaving yourself very little capital for the lenses.

Sure the GH4 is very nice, but your not doing yourself any flavors budgeting so low for the glass.

Two lenses that will be just perfect for your type of shooting will be the Pany 12-35mm or Olympus 12-40mm along with a 35-100mm, and then possibly later, add two or three nice primes.

I think you will be better off looking at the Panasonic G6 or Olympus EM10 leaving you with enough change to add one decent zoom and a prime or two to get you started.

scottyd5
Like?
In reply to Paulmorgan, 6 months ago

Paulmorgan wrote:

Personally I think your going about this the wrong way, your looking at getting a very expensive body and leaving yourself very little capital for the lenses.

Sure the GH4 is very nice, but your not doing yourself any flavors budgeting so low for the glass.

Two lenses that will be just perfect for your type of shooting will be the Pany 12-35mm or Olympus 12-40mm along with a 35-100mm, and then possibly later, add two or three nice primes.

I think you will be better off looking at the Panasonic G6 or Olympus EM10 leaving you with enough change to add one decent zoom and a prime or two to get you started.

Hmm if I were to spring for 1 nicer lens to start out, would you suggest the 12-35mm over the 35-100mm?

All these replies about things I don't quite understand really tells me I have a lot of research to do.

SDPharm
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?

You already have a lot of good suggestions, but I have not seen any one suggested the Lumix 14-42mm PZ lens.  PZ stands for power zoom which gives you smooth zoom effects.  Some lenses, especially heavier ones like the 14-140 Mk II may give you more jerky zoom action.  14-42 PZ is a cheap lens, but it is designed with video in mind.  The added advantage is that it is very small and light.

SDPharm's gear list:SDPharm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +2 more
scottyd5
Like?
In reply to SDPharm, 6 months ago

SDPharm wrote:

You already have a lot of good suggestions, but I have not seen any one suggested the Lumix 14-42mm PZ lens. PZ stands for power zoom which gives you smooth zoom effects. Some lenses, especially heavier ones like the 14-140 Mk II may give you more jerky zoom action. 14-42 PZ is a cheap lens, but it is designed with video in mind. The added advantage is that it is very small and light.

I haven't heard of this. Thanks for posting this.

e1rond
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?

Are you planning on hand holding, or have some kind of stabilization rig?  If you're hand holding, and video is a big focus, you probably want to concentrate on lenses that have image stabilization.  Unfortunately that rules out all Olympus lenses, and the Panasonic primes that are 25mm or wider.  I'd echo some of the other comments that the panasonic 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8 are probably the best fit for your needs, but the cost is out of your budget.

honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paulmorgan, 6 months ago

Paulmorgan wrote:

While overall good advice, not sure that's a possibility, considering OP seems to want to use the camera for use w/ big screen, meaning clean HDMI out is probably important. Does G6 offer that?

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads