Distortion at high shutter speeds

Started Mar 11, 2014 | Discussions
OdinKlavs Junior Member • Posts: 40
Distortion at high shutter speeds

Hi!

I discoverd this when I was making shots for stacking i burst mode on the Panasonic G6 at a shutter speed of 1/640. Some test has revealed that it also happens at other high shutter speeds. The distortion happens at different horizontal parts of the image. I use the electronic shutter.

Here it happens in the lower part of the picture.

It is rather easy to discover in camera, when you take pictures in burst mode - it is as some parts of the picture jumps in the viewer.

I think it is a shutter problem.

Is this a generel problem or is it my camera?

Greetings from Denmark

OdinKlavs's gear list:OdinKlavs's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 37,679
Re: Distortion at high shutter speeds

OdinKlavs wrote:

Hi!

I discoverd this when I was making shots for stacking i burst mode on the Panasonic G6 at a shutter speed of 1/640. Some test has revealed that it also happens at other high shutter speeds. The distortion happens at different horizontal parts of the image. I use the electronic shutter.

It could be that (e.shutter), as - if I understand the concept - the electronic shutter scans the height of the sensor (as opposed to the shutter being completely opened for an exposure), and if there's any movement of the subject it would be distorted.   Here it looks lie the camera was moved slightly at the beginning or end of the exposure period.

Try it w/o the electronic shutter,.   And then with the e.shutter on static scenes.   Rapid exposures at high speeds can be insurance for when one is prone to be unsteady at longer focal lengths, but this may not be appropriate for the e.shutter in general.   I'm sure others with a firm grasp of e.shutters will follow.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-H1 Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549

So an electronic shutter still takes a while to scan no matter the shutter speed, right? It's almost like there is shutter shock at the end of the scan.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

ernstbk
ernstbk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,142

OdinKlavs wrote:

Hi!

It is rather easy to discover in camera, when you take pictures in burst mode - it is as some parts of the picture jumps in the viewer.

Greetings from Denmark

Please try again with the use of a tripod and a remote shutter release.

This can not be a shutter problem because there is not shutter involved.

Electronic shutter is a (wrong) term used to mean electronic readout of the sensor. Reading the sensor is done row by row, in you example you can see that the bottom part is affected, this looks more likely that the camera was moved slightly at either the beginning or the end of the exposure. As projection of the lens is upside-down I suspect that it happens at the beginning of the exposure.

ernstbk's gear list:ernstbk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +28 more
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 13,036

ernstbk wrote:

OdinKlavs wrote:

Hi!

Greetings from Denmark

Please try again with the use of a tripod and a remote shutter release.

This can not be a shutter problem because there is not shutter involved.

Electronic shutter is a (wrong) term used to mean electronic readout of the sensor. Reading the sensor is done row by row, in you example you can see that the bottom part is affected, this looks more likely that the camera was moved slightly at either the beginning or the end of the exposure. As projection of the lens is upside-down I suspect that it happens at the beginning of the exposure.

I have the same feeling: handshake while pressing down shutter button, but I'm not positive - never had camera with e.shutter

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
chris_j_l Regular Member • Posts: 355

I think you are right - if the camera moved while ESHTR was on, the line would not bifurcate - it would curve - here it bifurcates, implying for some of the exposure of the full frame it was in one place and for the remainder it was in another. It does look like some kind of shock.

C

s_grins

Please disregard my first post.

Try to trace this  line split with different lens. This is something I've never seen before

-- hide signature --

Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 6,368
Not distortion, more like a double exposure!

I have never seen anything like that! It looks like a double image, with the shift between the two increasing at the bottom. If you look at the full sized image, it is double everywhere, just with a very small separation for most of the image.

I cannot think of any mechanism that would cause this other than a double exposure.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,497
First find which way it scans.

Has anyone determined which way the electronic shutter scans? Is it from top to bottom of the displayed image or bottom to top?

That is the first step.

Maybe have the camera on a tripod or held steady while some vertical line is passed across the frame during a fairly high shutter speed (move say from left to right), the bend in the line will show which was the start of the scan and which was the end, then you have a starting point for investigating the weird doubling, is it start or end of scan?

Even a playground roundabout that has vertical bars that rotate past you would be a good start for testing. Come to think of it, even passing traffic will show distortion as the 1/10 second to scan will makes cars lean forward or backward depending on scan direction.

No electronic shutter here so can't experiment myself.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
OP OdinKlavs Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Not distortion, more like a double exposure!

Thank you very much - now i understand what is happening.

And I am sorry that i forgot to tell that the picture is a stack of two.

OdinKlavs's gear list:OdinKlavs's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Thomas Niemann Veteran Member • Posts: 4,428
Distortion with electronic shutters

If either the camera or target is moving you can get some weird effects. Electronic shutters scan one line at a time so even if the shutter speed is fast this can still happen.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,497
It is a double exposure!

OdinKlavs wrote:

And that explains it, some camera movement on one of the stacked shots distorted the start/finish of the 1/10 sec scan.

Hand held is not suitable for electronic shutter use.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
s_grins
Re: Not distortion, more like a double exposure!

OdinKlavs wrote:

Thanks!

I'm deeply relieved.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads