HVL-F60M on A7

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
drjs
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
HVL-F60M on A7
7 months ago

I got this flash together with the A7.  I am having problem getting the IR assist to work.  On my Canon, the IR assist just turns on when the scene is too dark.  I can't seem to get this one to go even in a completely dark room.  I have read the manual but couldn't pin point what I am not setting correctly.  Anyone have any suggestions? I am an experienced shooter but this is my first SONY.

drjs's gear list:drjs's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +8 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tn1krr
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
Re: HVL-F60M on A7
In reply to drjs, 7 months ago

drjs wrote:

I got this flash together with the A7. I am having problem getting the IR assist to work. On my Canon, the IR assist just turns on when the scene is too dark. I can't seem to get this one to go even in a completely dark room. I have read the manual but couldn't pin point what I am not setting correctly. Anyone have any suggestions? I am an experienced shooter but this is my first SONY.

The AF Assist beam does not work in any any external flash when attached to an E Mount camera. The compatibility list below is for F43AM but it is same with all Sony flashes and E Mount cameras. Actually the AF Illuminator does not work even with the flagship A99...

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/resources/en_AP/html/Compatibility/DSLR/Flash/sony/F43AM.html

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
drjs
Like?
In reply to tn1krr, 7 months ago

tn1krr wrote:

drjs wrote:

I got this flash together with the A7. I am having problem getting the IR assist to work. On my Canon, the IR assist just turns on when the scene is too dark. I can't seem to get this one to go even in a completely dark room. I have read the manual but couldn't pin point what I am not setting correctly. Anyone have any suggestions? I am an experienced shooter but this is my first SONY.

The AF Assist beam does not work in any any external flash when attached to an E Mount camera. The compatibility list below is for F43AM but it is same with all Sony flashes and E Mount cameras. Actually the AF Illuminator does not work even with the flagship A99...

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/resources/en_AP/html/Compatibility/DSLR/Flash/sony/F43AM.html

Thanks for the quick reply.  Do you know if this is a limitation of the A7 or the flash?

Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +8 more
tn1krr
Like?

drjs wrote:

tn1krr wrote:

drjs wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know if this is a limitation of the A7 or the flash?

Since the AF Illuminator on these flashes work with a pile of A mount bodies I'd say it is the limitation of camera body. There is no known flash available that would give you the external AF illuminator with an E Mount camera.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +12 more
Scottsphotos
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?

drjs wrote:

tn1krr wrote:

drjs wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know if this is a limitation of the A7 or the flash?

The compatibility issue seems to be with E mount cameras.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/How-dissapointing-A7-or-A7R-and-External-Flash-HVL-F60M/m-p/293036#M3126

"The AF Illuminator function on the external flash unit is designed for A-mount cameras (SLT and DSLR). It is not compatible with E-mount cameras, even if an A-mount adapter with Phase Detection AF is used.

In this case, using an external light source to help achieve focus is recommended if possible. If you cannot change the lighting conditions try selecting a different Focus."

Scottsphotos's gear list:Scottsphotos's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
tn1krr
Like?
Re: an AF tip for low light
In reply to Scottsphotos, 7 months ago

Scottsphotos wrote:

drjs wrote:

tn1krr wrote:

drjs wrote:

The compatibility issue seems to be with E mount cameras.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/How-dissapointing-A7-or-A7R-and-External-Flash-HVL-F60M/m-p/293036#M3126

"The AF Illuminator function on the external flash unit is designed for A-mount cameras (SLT and DSLR). It is not compatible with E-mount cameras, even if an A-mount adapter with Phase Detection AF is used.

In this case, using an external light source to help achieve focus is recommended if possible. If you cannot change the lighting conditions try selecting a different Focus."

If one is shooting fast glass like FE 55/1.8 stopped down then turning Live View Setting Effect off makes the camera AF lens wide open. I've tested this in a darkened room ( light meter said -2EV) and when shooting with for example with selected aperture above 2.8 it really helps locking the AF.

drjs
Like?
In reply to Scottsphotos, 7 months ago

Thanks!  Not sure why this wasn't addressed before the bundle was announced.  At a minimal, it should have some type of notice to perspective users.  This kind leave a bad taste in my mouth.  I love the camera and lenses, but not crazy about this flash.

Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182Gear list
Like?

drjs wrote:

Thanks! Not sure why this wasn't addressed before the bundle was announced. At a minimal, it should have some type of notice to perspective users. This kind leave a bad taste in my mouth. I love the camera and lenses, but not crazy about this flash.

Ebay the flash, you should make a profit.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
red fuji
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
In reply to tn1krr, 7 months ago

That is a big disappointment; just so happens i was testing the flash for the first time yesterday in total darkness and sure enough could not get the AF assist to do its job; no luck. only the AF-A on camera works. But the camera would never take the shot because it could not find focus in that darkness . The AF-A on the A7 does fire but it is not powerful enough to bounce a beam beyond a certain distance although it is within the flash coverage area. This is totaly unacceptable for Sony to make their most powerful flash partially compatible with the A7 A7R.

red fuji's gear list:red fuji's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,809Gear list
Like?
In reply to red fuji, 7 months ago

red fuji wrote:

That is a big disappointment; just so happens i was testing the flash for the first time yesterday in total darkness and sure enough could not get the AF assist to do its job; no luck. only the AF-A on camera works. But the camera would never take the shot because it could not find focus in that darkness . The AF-A on the A7 does fire but it is not powerful enough to bounce a beam beyond a certain distance although it is within the flash coverage area. This is totaly unacceptable for Sony to make their most powerful flash partially compatible with the A7 A7R.

so do you know any other big flashes from Canon or Nikon or whatever that will assist mirrorless camera AF (whatever brand is - like Canon flash assisting canon eos-m, etc) ? just curious...

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
drjs
Like?
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, 7 months ago

so do you know any other big flashes from Canon or Nikon or whatever that will assist mirrorless camera AF (whatever brand is - like Canon flash assisting canon eos-m, etc) ? just curious...

As far as I know, Canon/Nikon never offered to sale one of their DSLR flashes as part of their mirror-less bundle.

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,809Gear list
Like?

drjs wrote:

As far as I know, Canon/Nikon never offered to sale one of their DSLR flashes as part of their mirror-less bundle.

And what it has to do with AF assist - was there any promise anywhere that flash assists in focusing for mirrorless cameras ?

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,719Gear list
Like?
No flashes AF assist light works with mirrorless cameras period.

That is true with all mirrorless cameras. and the flashes.   Across brands.   Olympus, Fuji, they all have the same issue across brands and always have.   Basically their TTL flashes are designed only to work with normal phase autofocus detect method through mirror like on DSLRs.  When using with a DSLR, the autoassist light works because DSLR use Phase Autofocusing.    The auto assist light does not work with any camera using contrast focus method focusing.  100% on that.   I've tried numerous other flashes from other brands and the result is always the same

The only two questions I had unanswered were

1)  PDAF on sensor, will that trigger the AF Assist light on flashes designed for DSLR.  My guess would be either NO, or maybe Yes in Daytime shooting when PDAF focus points actually work.  They turn off in low light as we all know as a limitation of every PDAF on sensor in every mirrorless camera from all manufacturers, and it is back to contrast method so no flash af assist light would work.

2) what about using LA-EA4 with Sony A lenses?  Logic tells me that in this scenario, AF Assist light on flashes such as 60AM or 60M SHOULD WORK, because the  A7/r then starts being like any other A big camera with its normal phase af method.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
compositor20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,585
Like?
Re: No flashes AF assist light works with mirrorless cameras period.
In reply to Absolutic, 7 months ago

can someone confirm that with la-ea4 + sony alpha lenses and fl-60 the camera or the flash emit an AF beam? or if there is any menu option to use the Flash light as an autofocus light... like a built in flash with Sony A57. THanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads