Which film camera for my buddy's wedding?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
ThaQuest
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337Gear list
Like?
Which film camera for my buddy's wedding?
8 months ago

My buddy is flying me back from China to shoot her wedding in a month. She's giving me a bit of cash which I will throw towards a long-overdue film camera, as she appreciates film. I've been shooting a manual focus Olympus OM-10 for a few years, but it's time for something serious. Perhaps 25% of the wedding will be shot on film, serious stuff will utilized the DSLR.

I'm looking at the following:

- Contax G2 (small and light)

- Mamiy 6 or 7 (always aspired towards MF)

- Standard Canon SLR (can use my current lenses)

I'm worried that if I go with the Contax or Mamiya, there might be a higher learning curve, which I won't master in time for the wedding (I will only have the camera for 2-3 days before the wedding begins). Whereas a Canon SLR will be 2nd nature. I want something that will last a lifetime and expand my passion for film.

Any other ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

www.shenzhenphotos.com

ThaQuest's gear list:ThaQuest's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Greenville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,072Gear list
Like?
Re: Which film camera for my buddy's wedding?
In reply to ThaQuest, 8 months ago

You might find better and quicker help on photo.net. They have forums dedicated to film. Here most film threads break down to endless bickering. When I was doing a lot of scanning I found great help on photo.net. Most of the answers were very detailed and helpful.

Greenville's gear list:Greenville's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX300 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Incredible Hoke
Contributing MemberPosts: 777
Like?

My first response as I was reading your list was "Mamiya for sure, no brainer."

But, if you haven't shot with MF gear there is a learning curve. 2-3 days is not enough time to get you up to speed to shoot a wedding.

Go with the Canon SLR since you already have the lenses.

The fun question is "What film?" 

-- hide signature --
FinDERP
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?

If you want to stick with 135 film I am amazed you aren't considering the Olympus OM1, or OM4 if you want some good auto shutter features.

The OM system is absolutely fantastic of course, but really you want medium format - 35mm is a paltry format compared to 6x6 or anything else! The mamiya 6 etc are great but highly priced (and rightly so from what I hear!), you could however get a great MF system with a twin lens reflex camera and it wouldn't cost the world. I recommend checking out the Rolleiflex/Rolleicord and Mamiya C series (I have a C3 and it is fantastic), they really are beautiful pieces of very simple kit that produce utterly stunning images - all that would be required is a handheld lightmeter!

FinDERP's gear list:FinDERP's gear list
Pentax K-30 +14 more
Super16mman
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?

ThaQuest wrote:

My buddy is flying me back from China to shoot her wedding in a month. She's giving me a bit of cash which I will throw towards a long-overdue film camera, as she appreciates film. I've been shooting a manual focus Olympus OM-10 for a few years, but it's time for something serious. Perhaps 25% of the wedding will be shot on film, serious stuff will utilized the DSLR.

I'm looking at the following:

- Contax G2 (small and light)

- Mamiy 6 or 7 (always aspired towards MF)

- Standard Canon SLR (can use my current lenses)

I'm worried that if I go with the Contax or Mamiya, there might be a higher learning curve, which I won't master in time for the wedding (I will only have the camera for 2-3 days before the wedding begins). Whereas a Canon SLR will be 2nd nature. I want something that will last a lifetime and expand my passion for film.

Any other ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

www.shenzhenphotos.com

My Canon AE-1 must be magic, because it never takes a bad shot. I'm serious, the Canon AE-1 plus a 50mm prime can do no wrong in my book.

puttin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,038Gear list
Like?

Canon EOS 3, that way you can use your Cannon AF lenses.

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 +23 more
darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
None - you were paid to shoot a wedding

Shoot a wedding ( a once in a lifetime event for most people ) with the best gear you have, not as a pet project for yourself.

I would use the 6D and the 50 f1.4. Rent a 24-70 f2.8 and a 70-200 f4 L IS or 70-200 f2.8. And a flash if you don't have one.

By all means bring a film camera ( any EOS will do - think film choice instead ), but don't experiment with a wedding that's not yours to play with. I

You mentioned perhaps shooting 25% of the wedding on film. Think 5% and make it the least critical parts. Double every shot you take with film on digital.

carlvalle com
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: None - you were paid to shoot a wedding
In reply to darklamp, 8 months ago

By shooting film do you mean to deliver darkroom prints? If not, and you are going to scan 35mm film, why bother? If you mean darkroom, then medium format is the way to go, since getting prints bigger than 5x7 from 35mm film will be blown out by modern digital. If the 'real wedding guy shoots with something like a d800 or MF digital, your film is not probably going to impress anybody even if it is 645 or 66 Mf.

The Incredible Hoke
Contributing MemberPosts: 777
Like?

darklamp wrote:

Shoot a wedding ( a once in a lifetime event for most people ) with the best gear you have, not as a pet project for yourself.

I would use the 6D and the 50 f1.4. Rent a 24-70 f2.8 and a 70-200 f4 L IS or 70-200 f2.8. And a flash if you don't have one.

By all means bring a film camera ( any EOS will do - think film choice instead ), but don't experiment with a wedding that's not yours to play with. I

You mentioned perhaps shooting 25% of the wedding on film. Think 5% and make it the least critical parts. Double every shot you take with film on digital.

Interestingly enough, there is a growing movement of wedding photographers who shoot weddings entirely on film. They charge a fortune, are usually fully booked a year out, and the shots (usually MF) look gorgeous.

For the OP, they said this: "My buddy is flying me back from China to shoot her wedding in a month. She's giving me a bit of cash which I will throw towards a long-overdue film camera, as she appreciates film."

No harm in shooting some of the wedding on film if the bride enjoys and appreciates film.

-- hide signature --
Pontoneer
Contributing MemberPosts: 980Gear list
Like?
In reply to The Incredible Hoke, 8 months ago

If you haven't used medium format before then either a Pentax 6x7 , or something like a Hasselblad with pentaprism will be the least of a culture shock for you ( getting used to a waist level finder with everything reversed left to right takes more than a couple of days to master .

Use it for posed shots on a tripod and you won't go too far wrong .

Not all Canon DSLR lenses are backwards compatible with the film bodies - look into that before splashing out .

Contax with Zeiss lenses are nice ; if you want something compact also consider Pentax MX or LX with period SMC Takumars ( most modern Limited lenses also useable ) or , as someone else said , Olympus .

A good light meter ( like a Weston ) would also be of benefit since you don't have instant feedback as with digital to check exposure on the wedding dress etc .

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +37 more
TRIODEROB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,115
Like?
In reply to The Incredible Hoke, 8 months ago

Pick up a Nikon F100 for around $150 in mint condition.

then get a Nikon 85mm 1.8 g for around $400 new

set camera on matrix metering

if it is daylight shoot porta 160 film

super easy to use  - great meter - and the equipment does not go down in value as a new model is released.

forget about MF in this application

here is an example of this exact combo - look at the color of the hat and try to do that with digital

Dr Hal
Contributing MemberPosts: 779Gear list
Like?
In reply to TRIODEROB, 8 months ago

Used to use Pentax 645 no learning curve simple straight forward beautiful images

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
Dr JLW
Contributing MemberPosts: 563
Like?

I'd rule out the Contax G2.  I had a G1 and it never focused properly.  Admittedly the odds of this happening are not great, but your will be completely dependent on it focusing correctly unlike an SLR where you can usually see the focus.

They were expensive cameras and nicely built but the older they get the more likely they are to develop problems.

Wedding are not the place to take chances.

EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?

you can do that with digital all day long

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
OP has EOS lenses - an EOS body makes sense

Whatever about whether or not the OP should be using film, the OP has EOS lenses and it makes absolutely no sense to suggest he use a non_EOS film body. Doing that would require a whole new set of lenses. It's not as if Canon didn't make good film bodies - they did.

FrancoD
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?

Make sure you put a film through the camera first.

till you do you will not know if it is working correctly or not.

A guarantee covers repairs but it isn't a certificate that tells you the item is working.

TRIODEROB
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, 8 months ago

prove me wrong.

post a photo.

TRIODEROB
Like?

for Canon get a Canon EOS 1N

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 6,457
Like?

if your om 10 is working well it will be fine. spend the money on a good flash. and a good zoom.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

003tvd
Contributing MemberPosts: 811
Like?
In reply to bosjohn21, 8 months ago

get a Fuji Instax Mini 90 and blow the guest's minds. It's the coolest thing going......uses film, retro camera styling, instant prints. Serious photogs can poo-poo, but people find it very cool to see prints develop before their eyes, in this, instant, digital world.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads