D600 dropped in ocean!

Started 9 months ago | Questions
djmagro
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
D600 dropped in ocean!
9 months ago

Hello

I have dropped my D600 in salt water. It initially was still one but once I took another photo it turned off and wouldn't turn back on. A few hours later after getting as much water off as possible I turned it back on and took anther picture then it turned itself back off. I have since taken the case off and rinsed it with normal water to rid of all the salt water to stop corrosion. I then put it in a container with rice to dry it out and soak up the water. I will leave this for a few days in the sun.

I was wondering if I'd be better to replace the Main Circuit Board once it is dry. I rang Nikon and they said they wouldn't fix bother fixing it, but I am determined to fix it if all it needs is a dry and maybe replacement PCB.

If anybody has has this problem, any information would be appreciated. Thank You

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 dropped in ocean!
In reply to djmagro, 9 months ago

Hello

I have dropped my D600 in salt water. It initially was still one but once I took another photo it turned off and wouldn't turn back on. A few hours later after getting as much water off as possible I turned it back on and took anther picture then it turned itself back off. I have since taken the case off and rinsed it with normal water to rid of all the salt water to stop corrosion. I then put it in a container with rice to dry it out and soak up the water. I will leave this for a few days in the sun.

I was wondering if I'd be better to replace the Main Circuit Board once it is dry. I rang Nikon and they said they wouldn't fix bother fixing it, but I am determined to fix it if all it needs is a dry and maybe replacement PCB.

If anybody has has this problem, any information would be appreciated. Thank You

Sorry. I would say the camera is trash now. Any thing metal or electrical is ruined or in the process of being ruined by saltwater. If you bought with credit card recently you may have built in damage protection with card.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
diverroy
Contributing MemberPosts: 727
Like?
In reply to scokill, 9 months ago

If you had soaked it in fresh water right away there could have been a chance to save it.I had this happen to my D300.

If you left the salt water for any length of time it will have corroded the electrics and will probably be beyond repair

-- hide signature --

Diverroy

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,216Gear list
Like?

Had you immediately immersed the camera in fresh water, there would have been a small chance of preventing any corrosion from the salt water. This was actually a recommended action back in the dark ages when cameras weren't practically small computers. That opportunity has been lost at this point.

And even then, the water residue on the sensor, mirror, and everything else in the optical path would still remain. As well as whatever parts might still corrode from the fresh water remaining in the camera. Plus any debris that might have entered the camera during the process.

I suspect the lens is likely useless as well, as it would also require a complete disassembly and through cleaning of every single surface, even if they weren't corroded by now.

Unfortunately, you killed it and there's really no useful course of action other than replacement.

On the other hand, I know a guy who dropped a cell phone in the toilet.  He shook it out and left it in the sun in the back yard for a few days and it worked fine.  Smelled a little funny, but worked fine

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?

it certainly amazes me how frequently these kinds of mishaps seem to occur! it isn't ever very long before someone new comes along to tell the tale again...

for the sake of the OP and all those who follow his unfortunate footsteps, the message should come through loud and clear:

the answer to the inevitable first question is NO. your camera is ruined. it cannot be repaired. dropping it in water is catastrophic, but seawater is another level of magnitude worse.

do not entertain false hopes that the damage can somehow be undone. it's permanent.

Bill1000Evening
Regular MemberPosts: 209Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugo First, 9 months ago

In addition to the neck strap (that I sometimes use), I have a wrist strap on all my cameras (that I always use).  They sometimes get in the way, but they provide an extra level of protection.

Bill1000Evening's gear list:Bill1000Evening's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon Df Nikon D800
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Salt water not the biggest worry...

Yes the salt water is corrosive, but as the other poster said, the optical path is the real mess.

I lost a D3200 and lens in a pool couple years ago.   I talked to a couple of the independent repair shops and they would not even take on the repair.   Too many labor hours to clean everything to be worthwhile.   They also seemed to think the sensor likely needed to be replaced since there is no way to clean between the sensor and AA filter, etc.

-- hide signature --

Jason

jjoyce's gear list:jjoyce's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V1
leopardskin
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?

djmagro wrote:

Hello

don't leave it on the sun, dry slowly. there is a chance it will still work - depends how much water you got in and where. if nothing just put it back together and leave it in some repair shop saying it's not working (without any reason).

Retzius
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?

I used to do research on a boat and we had things like this happen all the time.

Believe it or not, if you had immediately turned it off, removed the lens, soaked both in a bucket of distilled water, and then dried it out it probably would have worked fine.

Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?

That was a fairly expensive lesson to teach yourself and others.

Recently, I watched an episode of "Alaska, The Last Frontier", where the young buck, out setting beaver traps for his dad, "accidentally", dropped the valuable ice chisel into the river.

This, after knowing full well that he has been warned previously about wearing the wrist strap, for just this reason.

S**t happens, much more often, to those who refuse to listen, or follow instructions from others who already tramped down those dusty trails. Go figure.

I am going have two sturdy bolts implanted into my neck, similar to those which Dr.Frankenstien's creation had.

Just to attach my camera strap to... I know a swell turtleneck sweater, will help disguise those.

Sorry about this mishap, please be more careful in the future...

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
fishywisht
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319
Like?
In reply to Retzius, 9 months ago

Are these posts serious? If you dropped your camera in water, why would your first reaction be to immediately try to use it?...

mactac
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
In reply to fishywisht, 9 months ago

I left my d800 out all night in the pouring rain with a 24-70 2.8 attached.   I dried it out, and it still works perfectly.

I realize that salt water is a whole other level of hurt, and a d600 isn't sealed like the d800, but I thought I'd share my stupid mistake hoping it makes you feel a bit better

mactac's gear list:mactac's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,805Gear list
Like?
Insurance!

You should just file a claim with your homeowner's insurance if you don't have specific coverage for your cameras and lenses.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M8
Tahsin
Regular MemberPosts: 388
Like?
In reply to mactac, 9 months ago

mactac wrote:

I left my d800 out all night in the pouring rain with a 24-70 2.8 attached. I dried it out, and it still works perfectly.

Why??

mactac
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tahsin, 9 months ago

Tahsin wrote:

mactac wrote:

I left my d800 out all night in the pouring rain with a 24-70 2.8 attached. I dried it out, and it still works perfectly.

Why??

Your question implies that i did it on purpose.  It was of course an accident - I was taking pictures outside, set the camera down on my deck when the phone rang, had a long conversation, forgot about the camera.

mactac's gear list:mactac's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Jniel
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?

Even if you get insurance money keep the camera and lens and sell it on ebay.  I had a water logged D90 and 70-300 lens (long story) and I was able to get $350 for the parts.

Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,942Gear list
Like?

The issue is that you dropped the camera in salt water.  Salt water is a conductor of electricity so when you tried to use it, you probably suffered a short circuit.  I don't recommend you do this but I have seen labs soak electronics in distilled water a number of time to neutralize the effect of the salt water.  Distilled water is not a conductor of electricity and will leach out the soluble salts when given a chance.  Then dry the components.  What you will probably have to do is to send the camera to Nikon Service and have them perform the above procedures.  Of course, you might have done permanent damage by trying to use the camera after you dropped it in salt water.  They will send you an estimate and it will be up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not to repair the camera.  I'm not sure that you will be able to buy another main circuit board, especially in the US.  Nikon has a policy of not selling parts to 3RD party repair shops on their newer cameras.  There are other circuits that are not on the main PCB like the auto-focus system and the LCD display.  If you have home owner's insurance, they might be able to help with your issue.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +47 more
trend1
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?
In reply to mactac, 9 months ago

Nikon made it pretty clear, your D600 is junk. When you purchase your replacement (D610) get yourself a nice neck-strap and use it.

trend1
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?
In reply to Cliff Fujii, 9 months ago

Cliff Fujii wrote:

The issue is that you dropped the camera in salt water. Salt water is a conductor of electricity so when you tried to use it, you probably suffered a short circuit. I don't recommend you do this but I have seen labs soak electronics in distilled water a number of time to neutralize the effect of the salt water. Distilled water is not a conductor of electricity and will leach out the soluble salts when given a chance. Then dry the components. What you will probably have to do is to send the camera to Nikon Service and have them perform the above procedures. Of course, you might have done permanent damage by trying to use the camera after you dropped it in salt water. They will send you an estimate and it will be up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not to repair the camera. I'm not sure that you will be able to buy another main circuit board, especially in the US. Nikon has a policy of not selling parts to 3RD party repair shops on their newer cameras. There are other circuits that are not on the main PCB like the auto-focus system and the LCD display. If you have home owner's insurance, they might be able to help with your issue.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff, If you read the OP's post he/she said Nikon would not touch it.

Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?
In reply to trend1, 9 months ago

It's a shame the offender, turned him/her self in, before the crime had actually been discovered...

Ah, perhaps that's the other valuable lesson that should be learned here. Keep your mouth shut, don't admit fault.

Don't lie, but simply omit the bad painful parts... Let them that repair, figure it out!?!

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads