minor PP

Shutter Crazy
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
Re: 60 yr old model shot with Panasonic GX7
In reply to nucmanchh, 6 months ago

Do you want C&C?

Shutter Crazy's gear list:Shutter Crazy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nucmanchh
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
In reply to Shutter Crazy, 6 months ago

not sure what C & C is but go for it

Shutter Crazy
Like?

Comments and criticism

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,323Gear list
Like?

nucmanchh wrote:

minor PP

I'll be blunt, but these are opinions, so you are welcome to ignore them.

I find both the expression and the pose odd. The bright light on the chest attracts attention away from the face. The tilt of the background is a distraction as well.

Sidelight with no fill seems to accentuate even small imperfections and wrinkles, so a more even lighting will be preferred by many especially female subjects.

Your contact with the model is the most important, but you have to catch the right moment. I'm sure it was there, so keep practising, there's definitely something to build on.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
nucmanchh
Like?
In reply to Klaus dk, 6 months ago

thank you! Probably light behind her and use fill-flash?

Shutter Crazy
Like?

Your post is a little strange. First you announce subject's age, then you photograph her in the worst possible way, caricature-like. You don't like her?

RunnerSomewhere
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?

I would suggest trying again. Her hair has a green tint and she's wearing a shade of purple. She looks like she could be a sibling of the Joker. She also looks drunk.

Klaus dk
Like?
Bad taste
In reply to RunnerSomewhere, 6 months ago

RunnerSomewhere wrote:

I would suggest trying again. Her hair has a green tint and she's wearing a shade of purple. She looks like she could be a sibling of the Joker. She also looks drunk.

Commenting negatively on the looks of models is considered bad taste and not at all helpful to the photographer.

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
nucmanchh
Like?

I announce her age b/c I've been married to her for 30 years. In her 20s she was Miss Marshall University as well as other beauty titles. We're aging now, but being totally bias toward her I like to hear comments when I mention her age (wow! doesn't look her age, still a beauty, yada, yada).

Also I have mostly done landscape photog. I'm now learning portrait, so all ur comments are helpful. I don't have all the lightening I need &, as u noted and I stated, I'm still learning

RunnerSomewhere
Like?
Re: Bad taste

Klaus dk wrote:

RunnerSomewhere wrote:

Commenting negatively on the looks of models is considered bad taste and not at all helpful to the photographer.

I meant no disrespect, but it was in bad taste and I apologize. I will try to be constructive. It looks as though she was standing next to a window and shot with natural light. If you have no other lighting, try having her face the window (your back to the window) to get a nice even light across her face. I assume the green tint is the result of something on the window or in the room. That can be fixed by manually setting the white balance in-camera, or adjusted in PP. I'm not a pro, but the head tilt looks off.  It may look fine with adjusted lighting. I have no suggestions, other than to experiment.

TroiD
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
In reply to RunnerSomewhere, 6 months ago

RunnerSomewhere wrote:

After making comments like those, I think you must be the one who's drunk. People don't post photo's here to be ridiculed and insulted. They look for another set of eyes to give them feedback on which aspects work and where are the areas for improvement.

TroiD's gear list:TroiD's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
RunnerSomewhere
Like?
In reply to TroiD, 6 months ago

TroiD wrote:

RunnerSomewhere wrote:

After making comments like those, I think you must be the one who's drunk. People don't post photo's here to be ridiculed and insulted. They look for another set of eyes to give them feedback on which aspects work and where are the areas for improvement.

Point taken and I've already apologized.

TroiD
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?

She's got such pretty sparkling eyes... they deserve to get some light on them. I like natural light (from a window?) when it's available. Otherwise experiment with whats available. And do come back to show your results. We need to see more of this pretty woman.

David

TroiD's gear list:TroiD's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,940
Like?

You could have used a reflector to fill in the shadows on her face. If you do use fill-flash, you should use diffusion or reflection so as to avoid the harshness of direct and unmodified flash.  Also consider using off-camera flash both multiple and singular.

There is so much to learn and practice makes perfect. Get some books at the library on portraiture and maybe join a photography club or take a class.

Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

Bill

nucmanchh
Like?

from the same night. thoughts?

Shutter Crazy
Like?

There is so many things wrong about these, actually everything is wrong. Light, poses, poor focus, processing artifacts. It is not difficult to educate yourself on portrait taking. Libraries, bookstores and web are full of professional level advice and tutorials

nucmanchh
Like?

Yep, I'm learning

Klaus dk
Like?
My experience...

... with ladies in that age group (I'm 59 and recruit my models among friends) is that one really has to work with the light to get good results.

I don't know if this is correct, but it seems to me that you more or less use the available light, resulting in some WB challenges and generally some problems with direction of light and speculars. Available light often tricks us, because the low intensity fools us into believing it is also soft, which it most often is not.

If the precious moment and available light is what you wish to capture, by all means do so, but if you want to emphasise the beauty of your wife, you will have to work a little harder. Take a look at Christa Meola's work ...

Good luck.

nucmanchh
Like?
Re: My experience...

Thanks Klaus. That was helpful

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads