Steve Huff reviews X-T1, loves it (mostly)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?
Steve Huff reviews X-T1, loves it (mostly)
7 months ago

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/03/10/the-fuji-x-t1-review-fuji-creates-the-best-x-to-date/

Another (mostly) positive review for Fuji's newest camera.

"I have to hand it to Fuji, they kicked ass with this release and to me, it is the best APS-C camera solution on the market today."

Still, he doesn't intend to buy one for himself since he has a Leica M and Oly EM1 already and is invested in those systems, which is understandable.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,790
Like?
Uh, oh, the SLC Guy ain't gonna like this...
In reply to Tapper123, 7 months ago

From the review:

So do I prefer the X-T1 to the E-M1?

As many here know. I have been a HUGE fan of the Olympus Micro 4/3 offerings for years and the E-M1 has been my daily “goto” camera since launch for its build, speed, response, feel, control and lenses. The IQ is also quite fantastic though many dismiss it due to the sensor size. With this new Fuji many have asked if the X-T1 will unseat my E-M1 for my new “goto” camera.

To that I say…NO. As much as the Fuji is an improvement over the previous Fuji bodies, and by a large margin it does not have enough for me to buy it over an E-M1. I have aLeica M 240 which is my premium IQ camera and the Fuji does not come close in IQ, feel rendering, etc to my M, so I have no need for the Fuji. I also have a Nikon V1, J1, and new stuff on the way soon. If I bought the Fuji I would still prefer to shoot the E-M1 for its faster speed, better build, better JPEG output, 5-Axis IS and the gorgeous lenses. IQ is a draw besides some shallow DOF effects, but for that I have my Leica which beats them both easily.

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,633Gear list
Like?
Some of his results

sure don't match up with my experience. I had the Olympus EM1 along with several primes and zooms and honestly there is NO way I would compare the two in ultimate IQ results. The EM1 (as is the case with ALL mft cameras) produce a higher level of ISO noise as well as diminished resolution from ISO800 on up. It's not only in technical tests out there but in real world results I've experienced. The one thing that really raised the hair on the back of my neck is him insinuating that the X-T1 blew highlights earlier than an EM1. That's just flat out NUTS! I'm getting a solid 1 to 1.5 stops better highlight retention in RAW than the EM1 could ever hope to muster. ISO3200 is really pushing it in several regards for an EM1 viewed full screen while I wouldn't hesitate to scrutinize a X-T1 right up to 6400 all day long. Build is a matter of taste, and now I'm used to the X-T1 I frankly wouldn't want to go back to the EM1's ergonomics. Viewfinder aside I feel build wise it is at least as good and better in some areas than the EM1. As for color rendition, Oly has always been a favorite of mine, but having watched the evolution of Fuji's and now experiencing it for myself there is NO way I'd make the comment that the Oly is superior to the Fuji in color rendition.

As for speed, sure, in good light the focus lock on a subject with contrast is a speck faster on the EM1, not much that's for sure. In low light the T1 smokes the EM1 as when I tested it in lower light with items with less contrast it hunted and stopped and gave up, where my T1 locks focus with very little hesitation. I darn sure don't miss the "all ISO noise" in sky's of which I have a lot of here in Utah. That annoyed the crud out of me with ALL Olympus's and the EM1 was as if not more guilty then other's in their line. The X-T1 gives me the results of a FF camera's I've owned and tested (Nikon D700 and Canon 6D) without any artifacts and lack of detail rendering. In fine detail like landscapes when viewed 100% on screen the Oly falls completely apart above ISO1600. I can shoot the X-T1 at ISO6400 with outrageous wonderful results no loss of detail or smudging (which the EM1 was full of on fine details). So I have NO idea why Huff commented as he did. We either used two different cameras or he's just in denial. It's his perogative I guess.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
fongg
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
Re: Some of his results
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, 7 months ago

Steve was very excited with his 1st video about The X-T1, but then sort of changed his tone in his actual review all of the sudden.

My conspiracy theme. For his previous review of Fuji cameras, he has had issues with Fuji, that to the extent Fuji no longer sends new cameras to him for review. I think he admitted this also. He was hoping to "regain" the relationship with Fuji, and thus he shot his 1st video with very positive preliminary comments. But then Fuji's attitude wasn't as what he expected, and so he turned his tone a bit.

Not sure how others feel, but I definitely think so.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Gary

fongg's gear list:fongg's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 Leica M9-P Canon EOS 7D
Robert Garcia NYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
In reply to fongg, 7 months ago

fongg wrote:

Steve was very excited with his 1st video about The X-T1, but then sort of changed his tone in his actual review all of the sudden.

My conspiracy theme. For his previous review of Fuji cameras, he has had issues with Fuji, that to the extent Fuji no longer sends new cameras to him for review. I think he admitted this also. He was hoping to "regain" the relationship with Fuji, and thus he shot his 1st video with very positive preliminary comments. But then Fuji's attitude wasn't as what he expected, and so he turned his tone a bit.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Gary

interesting, my theory was that he tried the camera out and then realized it wasn't for him. But besides that it got a thumbs up.

Robert Garcia NYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

sure don't match up with my experience. I had the Olympus EM1 along with several primes and zooms and honestly there is NO way I would compare the two in ultimate IQ results. The EM1 (as is the case with ALL mft cameras) produce a higher level of ISO noise as well as diminished resolution from ISO800 on up. It's not only in technical tests out there but in real world results I've experienced. The one thing that really raised the hair on the back of my neck is him insinuating that the X-T1 blew highlights earlier than an EM1. That's just flat out NUTS! I'm getting a solid 1 to 1.5 stops better highlight retention in RAW than the EM1 could ever hope to muster. ISO3200 is really pushing it in several regards for an EM1 viewed full screen while I wouldn't hesitate to scrutinize a X-T1 right up to 6400 all day long. Build is a matter of taste, and now I'm used to the X-T1 I frankly wouldn't want to go back to the EM1's ergonomics. Viewfinder aside I feel build wise it is at least as good and better in some areas than the EM1. As for color rendition, Oly has always been a favorite of mine, but having watched the evolution of Fuji's and now experiencing it for myself there is NO way I'd make the comment that the Oly is superior to the Fuji in color rendition.

As for speed, sure, in good light the focus lock on a subject with contrast is a speck faster on the EM1, not much that's for sure. In low light the T1 smokes the EM1 as when I tested it in lower light with items with less contrast it hunted and stopped and gave up, where my T1 locks focus with very little hesitation. I darn sure don't miss the "all ISO noise" in sky's of which I have a lot of here in Utah. That annoyed the crud out of me with ALL Olympus's and the EM1 was as if not more guilty then other's in their line. The X-T1 gives me the results of a FF camera's I've owned and tested (Nikon D700 and Canon 6D) without any artifacts and lack of detail rendering. In fine detail like landscapes when viewed 100% on screen the Oly falls completely apart above ISO1600. I can shoot the X-T1 at ISO6400 with outrageous wonderful results no loss of detail or smudging (which the EM1 was full of on fine details). So I have NO idea why Huff commented as he did. We either used two different cameras or he's just in denial. It's his perogative I guess.

I hear you but it seems we have two camps one that likes texture and grain (a photographic look) and one that likes a more smooth digital look. Fuji has gone for the digital look and hasn't given the other folks the ability to completely turn off the NR so that we get that other look too. I'm of the texture and grain camp, I prefer that look being that I like to shoot people mostly. And no, I see NR being applied to the raws I prefer to do it myself I need to.

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,194Gear list
Like?

fongg wrote:

Nice conspiracy theory - I think it's bunk. He likes the XT1 - he likes it a lot. And compared to previous Fuji X-bodies, he freakin' LOVES it. But he still likes the EM1 more. Owning both, I get that. I'd be hard pressed to choose the Fuji over the EM1 if I had to choose. I'm glad I don't because I really like both. And the Fuji is more in tune with my day to day shooting needs. But the EM1 still does more things well IMHO. I'll do more of my shooting on the Fuji just because it's best lenses are better in the focal lengths I usually shoot. But I won't get rid of my EM1 or some of the great m43 glass I own.

And I agree with him that the differences between the two on IQ are minimal, not the night and day difference some folks would have you believe. We can measurebate all day, but I can turn out really extremely pleasing images with both, even in really trying conditions. I think they're wonderful complimentary systems. And to the extent they're competitors for a lot of people, there are plenty of good reasons to choose either over the other. He just happened to choose the EM1. But he still gives the XT1 a VERY positive review, which is new for him with the Fuji X-bodies. So take that as the compliment to Fuji that it is.

And, BTW, if he was trying to ingratiate himself with Fuji so they'd send him pre-release gear (he already get's free loaners from B&H), I don't think he'd have said in the video something to the effect of 'I think it's sad when you can't say what you honestly find and can't be critical of a camera or they'll cut you off'. He did - that doesn't sound like a desperate attempt to get back in their good graces! Sounds like he'd accepted that Fuji isn't gonna help him out anymore going forward...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,906
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, 7 months ago

Ray Sachs wrote:

fongg wrote:

Nice conspiracy theory - I think it's bunk. He likes the XT1 - he likes it a lot. And compared to previous Fuji X-bodies, he freakin' LOVES it. But he still likes the EM1 more. Owning both, I get that. I'd be hard pressed to choose the Fuji over the EM1 if I had to choose. I'm glad I don't because I really like both. And the Fuji is more in tune with my day to day shooting needs. But the EM1 still does more things well IMHO. I'll do more of my shooting on the Fuji just because it's best lenses are better in the focal lengths I usually shoot. But I won't get rid of my EM1 or some of the great m43 glass I own.

And I agree with him that the differences between the two on IQ are minimal, not the night and day difference some folks would have you believe. We can measurebate all day, but I can turn out really extremely pleasing images with both, even in really trying conditions. I think they're wonderful complimentary systems. And to the extent they're competitors for a lot of people, there are plenty of good reasons to choose either over the other. He just happened to choose the EM1. But he still gives the XT1 a VERY positive review, which is new for him with the Fuji X-bodies. So take that as the compliment to Fuji that it is.

And, BTW, if he was trying to ingratiate himself with Fuji so they'd send him pre-release gear (he already get's free loaners from B&H), I don't think he'd have said in the video something to the effect of 'I think it's sad when you can't say what you honestly find and can't be critical of a camera or they'll cut you off'. He did - that doesn't sound like a desperate attempt to get back in their good graces! Sounds like he'd accepted that Fuji isn't gonna help him out anymore going forward...

It may be that the differences are minimal but I consider the "minimal" IQ differences easily as important as the differences in responsive, speed, etc (which could certainly be considered minimal as well).   I've learned to look past all of the overly generalized praise or criticism and look for the details that really tell me more about a camera or how one camera compares to another.   This review provides very little of either IMO.   Not that I think it was a bad review overall or any kind of conspiracy but very average at best once you take out all of the fluff.

djezraj
Contributing MemberPosts: 620Gear list
Like?
Re: Steve Huff reviews X-T1, loves it (mostly)

I think it's safe to say Steve Huff loves his EM-1 and to be fair with good reason. What i don't quite understand is his refusal to even try other Raw developers to judge the IQ. Would this not be more "no BS" and more "real world"?

However supposing if Adobe for whatever reason lagged behind development for Olympus files and Picture code picked up the slack he might jump in a finally try out Photoninja to get the most out of the files.

At the end of the day its just a childish rant I know but it bug's me somewhat because most of the time I like his one balanced approach. Now more often than not his current reviews seem to be X camera VS EM-1 and this Fuji XT-1 review while more positive than expected is halfway a review for the EM-1 and Adobe Lightroom

Im glad he has found a camera for everyday and has settled somewhat to less systems but for pete's sake try out another converter it won't kill you...and you might just learn something new about X-Trans while you at it..

Whats the worst that could happen?

Rant over.

Roger

djezraj's gear list:djezraj's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Pentax K10D Fujifilm X-E2 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) +8 more
fotophool
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, 7 months ago

Clayton1985 wrote:

It may be that the differences are minimal but I consider the "minimal" IQ differences easily as important as the differences in responsive, speed, etc (which could certainly be considered minimal as well). I've learned to look past all of the overly generalized praise or criticism and look for the details that really tell me more about a camera or how one camera compares to another. This review provides very little of either IMO. Not that I think it was a bad review overall or any kind of conspiracy but very average at best once you take out all of the fluff.

We eagerly await your own web site and hands-on reviews of both cams.

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Clayton1985
Like?
In reply to fotophool, 7 months ago

fotophool wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

It may be that the differences are minimal but I consider the "minimal" IQ differences easily as important as the differences in responsive, speed, etc (which could certainly be considered minimal as well). I've learned to look past all of the overly generalized praise or criticism and look for the details that really tell me more about a camera or how one camera compares to another. This review provides very little of either IMO. Not that I think it was a bad review overall or any kind of conspiracy but very average at best once you take out all of the fluff.

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Thanks....   I enjoyed that reply as much as the last time you said the same thing......   and about as much as the review that you rushed to the forum to post about.

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,194Gear list
Like?

I basically agree. I'm just saying that I think the differences are largely a matter of taste rather than one being clearly better or worse than the other. And I've never found reviews being very helpful in determining those matters of taste. I just have to get ahold of the cameras, or at least plenty of files, and work with them for a while. In the case of these two cameras, I have and like them both a lot. The files have very different looks, both of which I like a lot and both of which I can seem to get results I like from in similarly challenging situations.

I'm not a fan of Huff's reviews either - I was mostly just taking on the previous charge that he only "changed his mind" after it became clear Fuji wouldn't add him back to their most favored nation status... I think his conclusion is perfectly reasonable whether it's the same one I'd have reached or not. One place I think he clearly missed the boat, though, at least according to every other review I've read, has to do with tracking / continuous AF. He finds the EM1 notably better, but the emerging consensus is that the XT1 is the best mirrorless yet other than the small sensor Nikon V1 / J1. That's more a matter of objective fact rather than taste...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

fotophool
Like?

Clayton1985 wrote:

fotophool wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Thanks.... I enjoyed that reply as much as the last time you said the same thing...... and about as much as the review that you rushed to the forum to post about.

While we still await your own web site and comparative, hands-on reviews of both cams.

Not that I'm holding my breath, mind.

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

kewlguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545Gear list
Like?

from the review: "The Fuji is still applying some NR, the Olympus is NOT"

Just take a look at the crops - both have NR applied! If Oly didn't apply any NR at iso3200, the crop would be very grainy... I'm sure of that because even 6D and Df still show fine noise at this ISO (in RAW, of course)

I know many would buy $1500 camera and shoot JPG, but come on, for a "die hard Leica shooter" like him...

kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon 1 J1 +15 more
Clayton1985
Like?
In reply to fotophool, 7 months ago

fotophool wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

fotophool wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Thanks.... I enjoyed that reply as much as the last time you said the same thing...... and about as much as the review that you rushed to the forum to post about.

While we still await your own web site and comparative, hands-on reviews of both cams.

fotophool

I'm hesitant to write what I think you mean by "we".

tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,119Gear list
Like?

Nice review, I agree with his statement of t1 being the best aps-c on the market. I'm waiting for higher pixel count to jump ship, since I'm invested in another system, but I'm aware that this camera is - for my needs - miles ahead of what I own now.

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +12 more
John Rausch
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?

So Fuji only sends cameras to those who give good reviews. That's something to remember.
--
John Rausch

John Rausch's gear list:John Rausch's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
fotophool
Like?

Clayton1985 wrote:

fotophool wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

fotophool wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

fotophool

I'm hesitant to write what I think you mean by "we".

Whatever.

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,252Gear list
Like?
MFT OOC JPEGS Are Fine

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

sure don't match up with my experience. I had the Olympus EM1 along with several primes and zooms and honestly there is NO way I would compare the two in ultimate IQ results. The EM1 (as is the case with ALL mft cameras) produce a higher level of ISO noise as well as diminished resolution from ISO800 on up. It's not only in technical tests out there but in real world results I've experienced.

My one week experience with the E-M1 makes me feel that the camera does a great job scrubbing out noise from the OOC JPEG.  I personally had issues process E-M1 RAW shots in Photoshop, Capture One, DXO, and the Olympus RAW processing program (forgot the name).

Here's hoping Fuji fixes the high ISO smearing issue in a future firmware --- not so much for me, but, those who review cameras using OOC JPEGs.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +39 more
nplanet
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?

When was the last time he did not like a camera?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads