Ridiculously colorful bird taking a bath

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,153Gear list
Like?
Ridiculously colorful bird taking a bath
9 months ago

From a few weeks ago - I just thought it would be nice to help break up the various tech data, new camera debates, and occasional argument threads with a few occasional photo threads too - these were not the best of conditions as it was raining almost constantly this day - I had my NEX-5N in its Ziploc bag cover, with the 55-210mm lens and DH1758 1.7x teleextender, in very grey poor light, and found this bird way down at the waterline hiding under overhanging trees - pretty much a nightmare scenario for nice shots.  But these birds are so ridiculously colorful that even in poor low light and grey overcast they look like a carnival float or colorful stuffed kids' toy.  I couldn't help but snap some pics of the little guy - ended up being my only birding photos from that day as the rain got heavier and heavier and eventually chased me away.  Here you go:

Male painted bunting, standing in the water - notice I started with ISO3200 to make sure I had enough shutter speed to get the shot

Once I knew I had a few shots of the bird safely on the card, I decided for as long as he was willing to stay there, I'd lower the ISO, bring the shutter speed down, and see how slow of a shutter I could use and still get usable details on the bird - this was ISO1600

Really pushing it - I went down to ISO800 - which at F8 could only net me a 1/40 shutter speed - at 535mm equivalent focal!  Stabilization and a good old steady hand to the rescue, and timing the bird in between its shakeoffs and head bobbing (birds seem in almost constant motion and stabilization won't help keep the bird still!)...but I got a few usable shots out of 4 or 5.

Not my finest work - the conditions were horrible.  But I thought the birding crowd here might enjoy a look at one of the more colorful wild birds you'll find in the United States!

Comments, questions, critique welcomed, as always.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
joeletx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,018Gear list
Like?
Re: Ridiculously colorful bird taking a bath
In reply to zackiedawg, 9 months ago

What a nice chance you have. I made a day trip last April to a park in west Texas hoping to take picture of this bird. It was no where to be found.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?

Thats a bird I've never heard of thanks for sharing, especially the third shot.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
gkstar
Regular MemberPosts: 281Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan92084, 9 months ago

Wow! Looks like a sparrow with a very funky "hair" style.

gkstar's gear list:gkstar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,838Gear list
Like?

FL has a population of very colorful birds I have not seen. He looks like one wet bird. You would think he would take cover. Maybe he does not mind the wet so much. We often think animals do not like the rain, but that is likely not true.  A good bath is a routine for many animals.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
peacefrog33756
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?

Very pretty.  I believe it's a Rainbow Lorikeet.  Nice capture!

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,006Gear list
Like?
re: Rainbow Lorikeet?
In reply to peacefrog33756, 9 months ago

peacefrog33756 wrote:

Very pretty. I believe it's a Rainbow Lorikeet. Nice capture!

perhaps not - pls. look esp. at the beak, but also the tail, and the general size & posture

jpr2

Jabba23
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?
In reply to peacefrog33756, 9 months ago

peacefrog33756 wrote:

Has colours like a rainbow lorikeet but it certainly isn't one.

Great captures Justin.

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

Jabba23's gear list:Jabba23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
MikeSul
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
Re: re: Rainbow Lorikeet?
In reply to jpr2, 9 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

peacefrog33756 wrote:

perhaps not - pls. look esp. at the beak, but also the tail, and the general size & posture

jpr2

It is a Painted Bunting, assuming you are in North America.

MikeSul's gear list:MikeSul's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax K-3
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,112
Like?
In reply to gkstar, 9 months ago

Wow! Looks like a sparrow with a very funky "hair" style.

Yup.

No idea what that fellow is, but really colorful.
--
Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?

I know what you did... You captured that bird, and then you spray painted it using multiple colors, and then you let him loose and took some quick pictures. You bird abuser you! And all that for a few pictures. Shame on you!

Now with that out of the way. Do you know of any good comparisons of the 55-210 + that extender, against some of the run-of-the-mill A-mount telezooms (eg. 70-300, 75-300, 55-300, etc)?

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,088Gear list
Like?
Re: re: Rainbow Lorikeet?
In reply to MikeSul, 9 months ago

MikeSul wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

peacefrog33756 wrote:

jpr2

It is a Painted Bunting, assuming you are in North America.

I was going to guess a Cyndi Lauper-Bird...

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,999Gear list
Like?
Awww come on !!

You been out with the spray cans again huh Was it put to sleep before you painted it ??

LOL, what a gorgeous bird, man those colours are out of the 70's Justin. I reckon it's been listening to Purple Haze with Hendrix.

What a beauty to have seen let alone get some great shots of. Painted Buntings I have seen shots of, but these would probably be the most fun shots I've seen of them ..... by far. That last shot is to die for, gorgeous in fact. Talking about colours, how about green with envy this end We have nothing on this little beauty.

Had a beautiful fine weekend here but couldn't get out to shoot. Too much to do at home, but, aha, going away up north for 4 days this week to cover the formula 1 and hydroplane power boats, that should be fun. Gives the long lenses a shot or two at high speeds. Really looking forward to it.

Anyway, this little one is just remarkable and so darn cute !!. All the best up there Justin, take care mate.

Danny.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Mavica CD1000 +11 more
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,912Gear list
Like?

zackiedawg wrote:

From a few weeks ago - I just thought it would be nice to help break up the various tech data, new camera debates, and occasional argument threads with a few occasional photo threads too - these were not the best of conditions as it was raining almost constantly this day - I had my NEX-5N in its Ziploc bag cover, with the 55-210mm lens and DH1758 1.7x teleextender, in very grey poor light, and found this bird way down at the waterline hiding under overhanging trees - pretty much a nightmare scenario for nice shots. But these birds are so ridiculously colorful that even in poor low light and grey overcast they look like a carnival float or colorful stuffed kids' toy. I couldn't help but snap some pics of the little guy - ended up being my only birding photos from that day as the rain got heavier and heavier and eventually chased me away. Here you go:

Male painted bunting, standing in the water - notice I started with ISO3200 to make sure I had enough shutter speed to get the shot

Once I knew I had a few shots of the bird safely on the card, I decided for as long as he was willing to stay there, I'd lower the ISO, bring the shutter speed down, and see how slow of a shutter I could use and still get usable details on the bird - this was ISO1600

Really pushing it - I went down to ISO800 - which at F8 could only net me a 1/40 shutter speed - at 535mm equivalent focal! Stabilization and a good old steady hand to the rescue, and timing the bird in between its shakeoffs and head bobbing (birds seem in almost constant motion and stabilization won't help keep the bird still!)...but I got a few usable shots out of 4 or 5.

Not my finest work - the conditions were horrible. But I thought the birding crowd here might enjoy a look at one of the more colorful wild birds you'll find in the United States!

Comments, questions, critique welcomed, as always.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Wow, those are some fun colours!

Thanks for posting!

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

jack scholl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,138Gear list
Like?

Justin,

Amazing little bird.  Nature sure has surprises for us.

Great series . . .

Jack

jack scholl's gear list:jack scholl's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon 1 V3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
zackiedawg
Like?
Thanks Joel...
In reply to joeletx, 9 months ago

I'm not sure of Texas' schedule for these birds - down here, we typically start seeing them around September, and they stick around through mid-April...depending on the weather they can be a few weeks early or late.  If you come down this way in winter, especially Feb - early April, I can pretty much guarantee sightings - there are dozens of them at this particular wetlands I go to, and they're not too shy of people so they'll stay within 10 feet of you.  A few feeders are out that bring them in, but shots of them on a feeder aren't as nice photographically - so if you get lucky you can stake them out in other spots like this, where they like to take baths!

-- hide signature --

Justin

Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
zackiedawg
Like?
Thanks Ryan! [nt]
In reply to ryan92084, 9 months ago
-- hide signature --

Justin

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 19,069Gear list
Like?
Great colours Justin !!!

regardless the conditions a job well done ( as usual from you ).

keep them coming my friend.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
zackiedawg
Like?
They are very cool little birds...
In reply to gkstar, 9 months ago

The funniest thing is watching people who don't know birds very much, and happen to see one - it takes them completely by surprise because they don't expect to see such a colorful looking bird - many think it's some kind of baby parakeet or something!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Like?
Thanks Dave - it's a painted bunting...male...
In reply to davect01, 9 months ago

The males get all the colors - the females are just a plain green color, head to toe.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads