I do not understand the HATRED for mirrorless cameras on this forum.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Dr Hal
Contributing MemberPosts: 765Gear list
Like?
I do not understand the HATRED for mirrorless cameras on this forum.
6 months ago

First of all I must say that I am very happy with my mirrorless cameras but I could not care less whether or not other people are using DSLR's, Point and Shoots, Bridge Cameras, or even cell phone or I pad cameras.  I hope that all of them thrive and that the manufacturers keep making them all better and better.  I love photography and have been buying and using cameras from the time I was thirteen years old and my dad bought me a Retina IIIC in 1957.  Photography has allowed me to see the world in special ways and has truly enriched my life and I dare say that most of us on this or any of the other forums feel the same way.  Please calm down and stop all the stupid mean comments back and forth.  Just because we live in a crazy "polarized" world, there is no need for us to get crazy about different types of cameras.  These are merely choices.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
charleyd
Contributing MemberPosts: 936
Like?
Re: I do not understand the HATRED for mirrorless cameras on this forum.
In reply to Dr Hal, 6 months ago

No hatred,  just no need.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,564
Like?

Rather, well, not hatred, but annoyance at all the self-appointed 'market experts' predicting the imminent demise of the DSLR.   Cameras themselves don't bother me in the slightest.

rj conklin
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?

fear and ignorance cause hatred.

Paul Lowe
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?

Dr Hal wrote:

First of all I must say that I am very happy with my mirrorless cameras but I could not care less whether or not other people are using DSLR's, Point and Shoots, Bridge Cameras, or even cell phone or I pad cameras. I hope that all of them thrive and that the manufacturers keep making them all better and better. I love photography and have been buying and using cameras from the time I was thirteen years old and my dad bought me a Retina IIIC in 1957. Photography has allowed me to see the world in special ways and has truly enriched my life and I dare say that most of us on this or any of the other forums feel the same way. Please calm down and stop all the stupid mean comments back and forth. Just because we live in a crazy "polarized" world, there is no need for us to get crazy about different types of cameras. These are merely choices.

Hal

Who knows.... some people just like to complain

Some might feel a bit perturbed by the thought of a sub $400 kit creating images that rival their $3K, $4k, $k+ investment in the gear race.... trashing it might make them feel a tiny bit better.

I have no doubt that there's true artists here that could make an image with a pinhole camera that blows away anything i could make with an unlimited about of gear- so Im long past thinking its "all about the gear"

I think they are a cool new tool.... the more the merrier!

Paul Lowe's gear list:Paul Lowe's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Paul Lowe, 6 months ago

Some might feel a bit perturbed by the thought of a sub $400 kit creating images that rival their $3K, $4k, $k+ investment in the gear race.... trashing it might make them feel a tiny bit better.

I have no doubt that there's true artists here that could make an image with a pinhole camera that blows away anything i could make with an unlimited about of gear- so Im long past thinking its "all about the gear"

Canikon trolls and dinosaurs.

-- hide signature --

'If the enemy is in range..so are you!

Jaberwok's gear list:Jaberwok's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +7 more
dannybgoode
Contributing MemberPosts: 829Gear list
Like?

I have moved from mirrored to mirrorless.  Why?  Simply because the X Pro 1 fits my current requirements better than anything else (size being the driver at the moment).

If in the future some form of SLR/SLT suits me better I will move back or get a second ILC camera.

In a nutshell I do not care whether a camera has a mirror, doesn't have a mirror or has a unicorn for a battery - so long as it works and I like the handling of it and the IQ is what I would expect for the price then I am happy.

-- hide signature --
 dannybgoode's gear list:dannybgoode's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,196
Like?
well, isn't it because of the owners?

Funny how mirrorless owners post things like "obsolete blah blah dinosaur blah blah brick blah blah weighs 100 pounds blah fueling owner ego blah blah."

But then in the next post, they wonder why people dislike them?

Like Rodney Dangerfield might have said, I'm not going to give respect until I get respect.

Tell you what. For every post you find started by larger formats knocking mirrorless, I'll find you ten by mirrorless knocking larger formats.

I'm sure the majority of mirrorless owners are great guys who've found the ideal camera for their needs. But a vocal minority seems to take great delight in promoting their perceived superiority over every other format out there. Not the best way to win friends and influence people.

If you look at this thread responses, you'll see the perfect examples of this. A lot more people attacking Nikon/Canon with more rhetoric than vice versa.

tko
tko
Like?
In reply to rj conklin, 6 months ago

I can only assume you referring to the mirrorless owners irrational hatred of mirrors . . .

rj conklin wrote:

fear and ignorance cause hatred.

tko
tko
Like?

Please list your $400 mirrorless kit with lenses, and lets compare performance.

cool new tool.... the more the merrier!

and there are cell phones, that, under the right conditions, can rival mirrorless. And your point is?

ShawnHoke
Contributing MemberPosts: 560
Like?
Re: well, isn't it because of the owners?
In reply to tko, 6 months ago

^This probably. I don't think people hate mirrorless cameras. The cameras themselves are fine and they are getting better and better every year. If I could afford to have a pro system and a mirrorless system I'd probably have both.

It's some of the mirrorless owners that probably engender most of the hatred. Same thing with DSLR owners or film junkies. It's the users, not the cameras.

User A, B, or C posting repetitive posts about their gear being better makes user D, E, or F reply with their gear being better. And on and on...

-- hide signature --
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 3,562Gear list
Like?
Same thing when PCs replaced Typewritters

It may even be the same people. 

I remember reading how MP3s would never replace CDs because they had inferior quality.  Of course the DSLR guys hate CDs and think they will never replace LPs. 

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,252Gear list
Like?

tko wrote:

and there are cell phones, that, under the right conditions, can rival mirrorless. And your point is?

Olympus E-PM2 with 14-42 and 40-150 lenses for $349.  Certainly not going to give the image quality of a full frame Canon or Nikon, but could rival many crop sensor cameras (except for CAF tracking) and the image quality would probably satisfy most users.  The price would be closer to $500 with an added EVF.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Paul Lowe
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
It never occurred to me that mirrors & mirrorless were mutally exclusive??!?
In reply to Jaberwok, 6 months ago

Jaberwok wrote:

Canikon trolls and dinosaurs.

-- hide signature --

'If the enemy is in range..so are you!

I just picked up a mirror-less to experiment with.

I have a DSLR and have no plans of dumping it!

That would be like saying "I have a 400M lens now, who needs those damn primes!"

They're tools.... and some will situationally be better fits than others.

Paul Lowe's gear list:Paul Lowe's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,557Gear list
Like?

Dr Hal wrote:

First of all I must say that I am very happy with my mirrorless cameras but I could not care less whether or not other people are using DSLR's, Point and Shoots, Bridge Cameras, or even cell phone or I pad cameras. I hope that all of them thrive and that the manufacturers keep making them all better and better. I love photography and have been buying and using cameras from thetime I was thirteen years old and my dad bought me a Retina IIIC in 1957. Photography has

Ha! I've used several Retinas!

allowed me to see the world in special ways and has truly enriched my life and I dare say that most of us on this or any of the other forums feel the same way. Please calm down and stop all the stupid mean comments back and forth. Just because we live in a crazy "polarized" world, there is no need for us to get crazy about different types of cameras. These are merely choices.

Hal

First - there's mirror less and then there's M43. Generally, the irritation comes from aggravating M43 fans who like to cross post into Nikon or Canon forums and taunt guys to respond.

So it's not because they're M43 users, it's because they're as&#&#holes. They tend to have an inferiority complex and are prone to splat their misinformed opinions all over the place and try to start arguments. They even have handles like "micro four dude" or whatever.

Me? I've only got so much money to spend and weight I can carry, so I don't want to waste it on a M43 body with half the resolution of my A7. If I want M43, I want it in a compact format like the new Panasonic.

hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,546
Like?

No hate here. I've been a photojournalist for 30 years and would be pleased to do away with the noisy, heavy and delicate mirror and pentaprism system used by DSLR. But I'm just not seeing mirrorless cameras being used on a professional basis.

And, yes, before anyone starts jumping up and down and hyperventilating, I'm sure there are some pros out there using mirrorless. I just haven't seen any.

mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,337Gear list
Like?
Re: Same thing when PCs replaced Typewritters
In reply to Lab D, 6 months ago

DrHal, I don't understand it either. It seems to me that more choice is better, and mirrorless gives us more choice. I use DSLR's and high end compacts because that's what I like. Everyone else is free to use whatever they like. I can see the day as I get older and feebler when I might go to a lighter mirrorless system. I can see younger and stronger people going for their lighter weight now. Whatever turns you on is fine with me.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,498
Like?
Mirrorless extremists..

Mirrorless extremists (not all mirrorless users) go on and on proclaiming "the DSLR is dead", "DSLR users are Dinosaurs", and get well-earned backlash from DSLR users.

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,031Gear list
Like?
I have not seen HATRED for mirrorless cameras on this forum.

I sincerely do not recall any posts reflecting the situation you describe. Please dredge one up for me. It would, in any case, be fairly bizarre to hate mirrorless cameras since they don't seem to hurt anybody.

There are, though, heated responses to some posts about mirrorless cameras that reflect hatred but those seem to be about the poster rather than about cameras.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,921
Like?

tko wrote:

If you talk to some of the cellphone users they'll tell you their phones will rival medium format, under the right conditions.

Seriously though, I went through 3 mirrorless cameras before I found one that was right for me but I'm not one of those people who thinks they're "better" than a DSLR.

Different but not better. Naturally, there are different levels of mirriorless cameras just like there are different levels of DSLRs and some of the mirrorless cameras are very, very good.

Just the same, when it comes to all around performance, it's hard to beat a mid to upper level DSLR but almost any camera does a good job on my snapshots.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads