Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,454
Like?
Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r
9 months ago
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,598Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r
In reply to Horshack, 9 months ago

Horshack wrote:

http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/sony-nex-camera-reviews/sony-a7-and-a7r-review.html

Thom Hogan has been dumping on Sony for some time now. He has become very much of an M43 fanboy.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,469Gear list
Like?

Horshack wrote:

http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/sony-nex-camera-reviews/sony-a7-and-a7r-review.html

Interesting, although I agree with his assessment that the A7 is the camera to get, he is unnecessarily harsh on the A7r in his conclusion. Or perhaps it is a backhanded compliment to the D800E?

Fact is that the A7r reaches a notch above the A7 in both detail and (surprisingly) low light performance, but it does introduce handling compromises (no PDAF, no EFC).

FE lenses are impressive, on the A7r, but the A7 is more forgiving to most lenses with its lower pixel density - especially WA RF lenses. In fact, the A7 with 2870 kit lens does quite well.

He also criticizes JPG shooters for wanting 24Mp or even 36Mp - why?

And he ends with the D800 being the best all around camera ... but that is 5lbs of gear (f/2.8 zoom lens).

I find neither the A7 nor A7r do-all cameras. They both have a place, but I also see  the A6000 as being complimentary with the A7/r cameras. Or depending on the activity, the A6000 could be primary, and the A7/r secondary...

This makes me think that the A7 + A6000 combination is preferable to the A7r, after all, it is the same budget.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,887Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

captura wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Thom Hogan has been dumping on Sony for some time now. He has become very much of an M43 fanboy.

He only mentioned Nikon D800 as opposed to Sony A7 series?

Thought it was accurate, at least my findings, but it could be that we are accustom to faster cameras with faster AF affecting our opinions?

A7 is the way to go for someone that wants to shoot something that moves, at least something slow with AF...and the shutter shock, yes you have to pixel peep to see it on the A7R, but always slight motion blur 80% 0f the time unless you are shooting off tripod...same with m43 though and the long lens to be honest...

It is what it is...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487
Like?

Repetitious and precisely zero new information.

mx5002
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?

thanks for posting his review.  i completely agree with his opinion.  this review and mel snyder's post has convinced me to get the a7 instead of the a7r

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to mx5002, 9 months ago

mx5002 wrote:

thanks for posting his review. i completely agree with his opinion. this review and mel snyder's post has convinced me to get the a7 instead of the a7r

+1

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 2,004
Like?
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

captura wrote:

Horshack wrote:

10 minutes of my life that i'll never get back, lol...

he very briefly attempts to compare the 6d/610 to the a7, but nowhere in the review does he mention evf focusing versus ovf focusing?? he ignores one of the biggest reasons for going with these sony cameras.

he claims to have used the a7 for months... how could he not know how to use the camera, after handling it for that long? maybe he just never uses manual focus? he doesn't understand basic camera operation; probably because he's a blogger, not a photographer.

the phrase "d800e" never gets mentioned in the review, but he uses a7r vs. d800 in the same sentence... does he not understand that the a7r sensor setup compares directly with the d800e, not the d800? does he even know that there is such a thing as a d800e?

unfortunately he's not alone in his incompetence...

-- hide signature --

dan

fjbyrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,205
Like?
Good review IMO

I think it was a fair and straight forward review.

Why is there not an option to have uncompressed RAW?  Come on Sony this is something that should be my decision.

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,841Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, 9 months ago

Tuloom wrote:

Repetitious and precisely zero new information.

he does not write for existing A7* users or those who already spent time learning about A7* though

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
LouMeluso
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 9 months ago

I'm not sure how one can construe Mr. Hogan's review as "dumping". He basically is repeating what has been discovered about the cameras by a number of testers and added his own user opinions and images. Seems like a fair way to approach it. I would consider his user opinions quite experienced and informed.

To begin replying to this thread with immediate name calling (fanboy-as despicable a word if there ever was one) is not only disrespectful of Mr. Hogan but not conducive to any useful discussion on this thread.

LouMeluso's gear list:LouMeluso's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
TClair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,643Gear list
Like?

I though the article was very well written and accurate compared with my findings.  The only thing not mentioned, it is a big thing to me, was the A7 or A7r ability to use manual focus lenses.  This camera gives me the ability to use my older Leica and Nikkor mount lenses and it works well for me.  I don't even own a auto focus lens for my A7 and I'm happy with the results.

TClair's gear list:TClair's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Sony Alpha 7
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,100Gear list
Like?
In reply to osv, 9 months ago

osv wrote:

he very briefly attempts to compare the 6d/610 to the a7, but nowhere in the review does he mention evf focusing versus ovf focusing?? he ignores one of the biggest reasons for going with these sony cameras.

He did not talk much about using adapted lenses at all. If you are on a tripod, you can use the rear-LCD for magnified manual focus. With a reliable AF mechanism and back-button focus control, you don't need manual focus often.

maybe he just never uses manual focus?

At eye-level, probably not.

the phrase "d800e" never gets mentioned in the review, but he uses a7r vs. d800 in the same sentence... does he not understand that the a7r sensor setup compares directly with the d800e, not the d800? does he even know that there is such a thing as a d800e?

http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-nikon-dslr-reviews/nikon-d800--d800e-review.html

unfortunately he's not alone in his incompetence...

I'd say ranting about a writer w/o knowing much about him means you are more correct than you realized.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 9 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Interesting, although I agree with his assessment that the A7 is the camera to get, he is unnecessarily harsh on the A7r in his conclusion. Or perhaps it is a backhanded compliment to the D800E?

Fact is that the A7r reaches a notch above the A7 in both detail and (surprisingly) low light performance, but it does introduce handling compromises (no PDAF, no EFC).

FE lenses are impressive, on the A7r, but the A7 is more forgiving to most lenses with its lower pixel density - especially WA RF lenses. In fact, the A7 with 2870 kit lens does quite well.

He also criticizes JPG shooters for wanting 24Mp or even 36Mp - why?

And he ends with the D800 being the best all around camera ... but that is 5lbs of gear (f/2.8 zoom lens).

I find neither the A7 nor A7r do-all cameras. They both have a place, but I also see the A6000 as being complimentary with the A7/r cameras. Or depending on the activity, the A6000 could be primary, and the A7/r secondary...

Good point Henry, the A6000 is "most" likely configured to do very well with the FE Lens available and will be a great compliment to the A7...

This makes me think that the A7 + A6000 combination is preferable to the A7r, after all, it is the same budget.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

noel58
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?

I thought it was a balanced article.  I agree fully with his request that Sony provide a no compression raw format.  His point about the importance of high quality adapters is well taken, but I wish he had tested one rather than just warned about their inherent risks.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Horshack wrote:

Tom's reviews are designed to get people talking and get people visiting his site, he might have offered unbiased reviews in the past but not anymore, he's a total joke.

I knew that he would dump on the A7/R as soon as I saw those photos of a grubby looking A7

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,469Gear list
Like?
In reply to LouMeluso, 9 months ago

LouMeluso wrote:

I'm not sure how one can construe Mr. Hogan's review as "dumping". He basically is repeating what has been discovered about the cameras by a number of testers and added his own user opinions and images. Seems like a fair way to approach it. I would consider his user opinions quite experienced and informed.

To begin replying to this thread with immediate name calling (fanboy-as despicable a word if there ever was one) is not only disrespectful of Mr. Hogan but not conducive to any useful discussion on this thread.

Did you perhaps mean this as a response to Captura's message?

You posted your response wrong then.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 2,004
Like?
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 9 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

I'd say ranting about a writer w/o knowing much about him means you are more correct than you realized.

perhaps i'm the dunce, not him, lol

it just seems that the things that he missed are so obvious to those of us who use these cameras.

if i reviewed the d800e, i'd at least mention evf vs. ovf, because i know that it matters to those of us who have used both... as steve huff put it: "The resolution of the LV and EVF on the A7r is double that of the D800 LV, and the EVF is much easier to use than the D800's OVF"

plus one for huff, zero for hogan

another example of how he's not understanding his readership was his fixation on the raw file situation... he devoted a bunch of prose to something that most of us don't notice, or are able to work around, in the worst case.

even with those raw file issues, wouldn't you rather be shooting sony a7r raw than any raw file that canon offers on their cameras? sony simply has more latitude in their raw files than anything canon currently offers, which i didn't see him mention.

fred miranda covered that in detail, it's noticeable, and imho, it'll have a bigger impact on your workflow than what thom was ranting about.

-- hide signature --

dan

radissimo
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, 9 months ago

Oh No!

Posterization strikes again!!!

radissimo's gear list:radissimo's gear list
Ricoh GR NEX5R Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7S
robert1955
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, 9 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Tom's reviews are designed to get people talking and get people visiting his site, he might have offered unbiased reviews in the past but not anymore, he's a total joke.

I knew that he would dump on the A7/R as soon as I saw those photos of a grubby looking A7

do you always blame the messenger ?

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads