F8 25mm body cap lens please

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Trollshavethebestcandy
Regular MemberPosts: 460
Like?
F8 25mm body cap lens please
9 months ago

Anyone else think that a f8 50mm equivalent body cap lens for under $150 but still half way decent would be pretty sweet? Also I would want a ring instead of a lever that goes closed to open/near to far focus. Another thing.... Filter thread!!!! Some corner fall off is ok as long as it has a sharp center. Thinking an EPM2 with a 50mm OVF would be a fun B&W street shooter.

CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Re: F8 25mm body cap lens please
In reply to Trollshavethebestcandy, 9 months ago

Anyone else think that a f8 50mm equivalent body cap lens for under $150 but still half way decent would be pretty sweet? Also I would want a ring instead of a lever that goes closed to open/near to far focus. Another thing.... Filter thread!!!! Some corner fall off is ok as long as it has a sharp center. Thinking an EPM2 with a 50mm OVF would be a fun B&W street shooter.

What you want is a 25mm pancake, not a bodycap lens.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Trollshavethebestcandy
Like?
In reply to CharlesTokyo, 9 months ago

What you want is a 25mm pancake, not a bodycap lens.

It can be a pancake under 12mm thick in my imaginings without need of electronic contacts. Decent glass but cheap construction. Built in lens cap actuated on focus ring. A filter thread would make this so much cooler. Add a cheap plastic integral pull out lens hood?

Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,113Gear list
Like?
How about a 17mm f/4 and be there?

A cheap but very small, hyperfocused 17mm f/4 lens would be a great street shooter. DOF would go from about 8 feet to infinity.

It would be the equivalent of the old Weegee rule of "f/8 and be there."

Fat chance anyone would make one.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
beameup
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Re: How about a 17mm f/4 and be there?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 9 months ago

The 15mm BCL works just fine for "f/8 and be there".

Adding bells and whistles to a simple lens just increases the cost, as it approaches a "pancake lens".

beameup's gear list:beameup's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +1 more
gnewsch
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?
In reply to beameup, 9 months ago

Get a Holga 25mm/f8 off ebay. very small, very cheap, very light.

gnewsch's gear list:gnewsch's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more
Jim Salvas
Like?

beameup wrote:

The 15mm BCL works just fine for "f/8 and be there".

Adding bells and whistles to a simple lens just increases the cost, as it approaches a "pancake lens".

I have the 15mm BCL, but find it a bit dim for many situations.

The BCL introduced the idea of slow, but small and cheap. It would be nice to see that concept extended, instead of always striving for fast, big and horribly expensive.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Jim Salvas
Like?
In reply to gnewsch, 9 months ago

gnewsch wrote:

How big would it be with the adapter?

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Trollshavethebestcandy
Like?

A cheap but very small, hyperfocused 17mm f/4 lens would be a great street shooter. DOF would go from about 8 feet to infinity.

It would be the equivalent of the old Weegee rule of "f/8 and be there."

Fat chance anyone would make one.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

I really want a 40mm equiv but since there is a 30 equiv I figure a 50 has a better shot of getting produced. There are a few moderate to expensive 50's but how about an inexpensive one? That and a re imagined one where you have a ring and not a fidgety lever not to mention able to take a freaking filter!

tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512
Like?

Ah . . . no. And here's why: the 20mm f/1.7 Panasonic exists, and although it's not bodycap-small, it IS a very small pancake with stellar IQ. Except for the extra cost (which isn't that much), why would I replace it with a slow fixed-aperture lens with inferior IQ?

IMO Oly made the same mistake with the 15mm bodycap lens . . . I saw no reason to keep it instead of the slightly more expensive but vastly superior 14mm f/2.5 pancake lens. It's not like Oly was unaware that Panasonic was already producing a tiny lens with nearly the same FL.

Now the 9mm bodycap fisheye lens, on the other hand, is a brilliant concept.

Trollshavethebestcandy
Like?
In reply to tjuster1, 9 months ago

Ah . . . no. And here's why: the 20mm f/1.7 Panasonic exists, and although it's not bodycap-small, it IS a very small pancake with stellar IQ. Except for the extra cost (which isn't that much), why would I replace it with a slow fixed-aperture lens with inferior IQ?

IMO Oly made the same mistake with the 15mm bodycap lens . . . I saw no reason to keep it instead of the slightly more expensive but vastly superior 14mm f/2.5 pancake lens. It's not like Oly was unaware that Panasonic was already producing a tiny lens with nearly the same FL.

Yes the 9mm is a brilliant concept. Yes there is a 20mm that is great albeit focus issues but still not cheap and one reason I suggested a 50 since there are not many small and cheap options. I like the quick Lo-Fi concept matched with IBIS. I would chose the soon to be panleica 15 over the panny 20.
9, 15 and 25mm body caps would be a sweet cheap trio that would not take up too much space next to your kit or pro zoom. If budget permits you could have the better larger primes of Rokinon 7.5 or 8mm fish, 15 panleica and 25 Oly.

gnewsch
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?

Jim Salvas wrote:

gnewsch wrote:

How big would it be with the adapter?

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

There are native versions out there, no adapter required.
They're about the size of a pancake lens like the 20mm or 17mm.

See here, for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holga-25mm-f-8-Toy-Lens-for-Sony-NEX-7-NEX-3-NEX-5-NEX-5N-NEX-C3-/261021834096?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cc61d1b70

I am not affiliated or endorsed with this seller in any way.

gnewsch's gear list:gnewsch's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,685
Like?
In reply to gnewsch, 9 months ago

gnewsch wrote:

Here are some of my Holga 25 shots:

http://markhahnphotography.wordpress.com/2013/03/24/junk-trash-plastic-lens/

http://markhahnphotography.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/solar-culture-gallery-as-close-as-a-truck-stop-gets-to-heaven/

I removed the vignetting mask. Fun little lens.

One word of advice, they just put the distance scale from their 60mm MF lens on the 25 so it doesn't work! Basically everything is around the mountain symbol -- far side of the mountain for infinity, near side of the mountain for hyperfocal distance, etc. Was annoyed with the bad focus until I figured this out.

$15 of pure fun!!!

Best!

-- hide signature --
mh2000
Like?
In reply to tjuster1, 9 months ago

tjuster1 wrote:

Ignoring the de-kitted P14's from Korea, the P14 is a $300 lens! The P20 a $400 lens! Saying the cost difference between this and a $50 body cap lens is trivial is not realistic. Yes, I already owned both the 14 and the 17 pancakes, so the O15 didn't have much appeal to me, but a 25 would really fun for me since there is no 25mm pancake lens! Had Oly come out with a 25mm pancake it wouldn't have made sense, but I'd think they could make a 25mm BCL that was actually pretty good!

Yup, I'm in!!!!

-- hide signature --
n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?

I just use my 24mm Pentax Auto 110 f/2.8 lens with an adapter.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +29 more
mh2000
Like?
pentax
In reply to n3eg, 9 months ago

n3eg wrote:

I just use my 24mm Pentax Auto 110 f/2.8 lens with an adapter.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

The problem with the P110 24mm lens on m43 is that the corners are such utter crap and the center so perfectly good... at least that's what bugs me. If I could treat it as a toy lens it might be fun, but it's not a toy lens, it's a really good lens that performs badly on m43 in the corners.

Here's a set I took with mine (look at the corners! mush even at this little size!):

https://markhahnphotography.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/another-road/

PS And this is with the lens "stopped down" to f5.6! The corners are even worse when shot wide open!

For example, look at the gravel in the corners of this shot:

-- hide signature --
beameup
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?

15mm Body Cap Lens on E-M1 - Art Filter 'Key Line' - no post processing
Camera around neck, touch screen used for shutter = candid camera 'f/8 and be there'

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj108/beameup64/StreetFair_zpse02765b1.jpg

beameup's gear list:beameup's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads