Who will abandon mirrorless first?

Started 9 months ago | Polls
CAcreeks
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,836
Like?
Who will abandon mirrorless first?
9 months ago

Open forum has another thread with similar title, mostly concerned with Sony and Fuji, but I'd like to see a count of those interested in voting. Canon and Nikon not included because the EOS-M seems already abandoned and Nikon 1 seems successful enough to continue. In alphabetic order:

POLL
Fujifilm
4.5% 5  votes
Olympus
10.9% 12  votes
Panasonic
8.2% 9  votes
Pentax
47.3% 52  votes
Samsung
13.6% 15  votes
Sony
15.5% 17  votes
  Show results
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,216Gear list
Like?
Re: Who will abandon mirrorless first?
In reply to CAcreeks, 9 months ago

Mirrorless is the future my friend.

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,577Gear list
Like?

Why on earth would anyone abandon mirrorless?

When the crunch properly comes, having a more efficient and cheaper way to build cameras will be a significant competitive advantage.

I don't think even Canikon are likely to abandon mirrorless. They'll play it quite for a while to get as much gain from their existing systems as they can, but I would put money down that they're keeping their R&D department ticking over with research into technologies required for mirrorless (eg: 70d).

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
doctorxring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,142Gear list
Like?

Who the heck wants a frigggin flappin' mirror anyway ?

I don't think anyone does.  It's just that some photogs are pinned to it until technology evolves to the point they don't need it anymore.

The trend is obvious and inescapable.

doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II +4 more
Martin.au
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, 9 months ago

Martin.au wrote:

When the crunch properly comes, having a more efficient and cheaper way to build cameras will be a significant competitive advantage.

I don't think even Canikon are likely to abandon mirrorless. They'll play it quite for a while to get as much gain from their existing systems as they can, but I would put money down that they're keeping their R&D department ticking over with research into technologies required for mirrorless (eg: 70d).

To add, the only way I can see any of these companies abandoning mirrorless in the next few years (with the exception of Pentax, as Pentax is still predominantly a DSLR company and the Q could get lost in the compact camera slaughter if it's unlucky) is if they got out of cameras all together.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
HappyVan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,079Gear list
Like?
The tortoise and the hare

The tortoise and the hare

Here's a variation on the classic story.

Once upon a time, there was a 30k race. The tortoise (called Canikon) had started early and was three quarters to the finish line. Eight hares arrived late at the start line, and sprinted onwards.

The tortoise had spotters keeping an eye on the hares. When the hares passed the 5K mark, the tortoise picked up speed. The tortoise was prepared to speed up further if the hares got within 10K. To sprint to the finish line if the race got competitive.

Contrary to popular folklore, the tortoise wasn't slow. It just preferred to move at a comfortable pace.

Some of the hares were overly competitive. They started racing against each other. Some were unfit, and would be winded. Some were unhealthy and would have a heart attack. Some would hit the dreaded 'wall' and finish with a whimper.

One hare (called Fuji) didn't try to finish in the top three. It was there for its fans. As it ran at a comfortable pace, it worked social media. It knew that when it got to the finish line, its fans would be there cheering.

Here's the important thing.

To the tortoise, the finish line was all important. It didn't matter what shoes it had to wear to get there. In fact, it was open minded on the matter.

To the hares, they were proud of their style. Boasting of why their shoes were the best. They were sure to win the race because of their special shoes.

This is the modern tale of the tortoise and the hare. Hopes this helps.

AlphaTikal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,544Gear list
Like?
Mirror is retro

No one will abandon mirrorless. How do you come to the conclusion anyone would?
--
· http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackhole_eater/
· (All photos are creative common licensed. Check them out.)
· English is not my native language.

AlphaTikal's gear list:AlphaTikal's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Sony SLT-A65 +10 more
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,216Gear list
Like?
Re: The tortoise and the hare
In reply to HappyVan, 9 months ago

This smells kinda like Kodak

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Aaron801
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?
I totally agree...

Martin.au wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that the mirrorless thing is definitely the future for the reasons stated.

Canon's and Nikon's ventures into the mirrorless game seemed kind of half hearted. Maybe because all of their energies were taken up by the DSLR cameras that they're so famous for, or maybe because they didn't really want to compete with those their own DSLR lines so much. Whatever the reason is, they definitely aren't so happening in the mirrorless sector of the market. When the whole market moves towards this technology (and I really see no reason that it won't), they're surely come out with another much better designed system that they'll give a bigger marketing push toward.... and they'll very well likely create a system that's as successful as their DSLR stuff is now, though this might take a several years for this all to happen.
The market moves so fast, with technology providing so many improvements every year that DSLRs as well as the state of the art mirrorless cameras made right now are ALL going to seem really clunky and low performance soon. Whatever type of system we have if we care about having the latest and greatest, we'll have to upgrade soon.

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
HappyVan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,079Gear list
Like?
Kodak was a bit player ...
In reply to EthanP99, 9 months ago

EthanP99 wrote:

This smells kinda like Kodak

... in digital.

Gained an initial advantage in compact cameras. But couldn't make money and cashed out.

Best known for the failure to have a competitive FF sensor sensor. Caused Nikon a lot of grief.

Hope this helps.

Pantyhose Bandit
Contributing MemberPosts: 750Gear list
Like?

this has to be Olympus. Olympus abandoned SLR cameras 20 years ago.

Pantyhose Bandit's gear list:Pantyhose Bandit's gear list
Leica S2 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Brother MFC-J6910dw Echo One File Juicer Vertu Ti +2 more
Martin.au
Like?
In reply to Pantyhose Bandit, 9 months ago

Pantyhose Bandit wrote:

Err wut?

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,682Gear list
Like?
nt)Canon, their heart was never in it with their "me too" camera.

nt=No text

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695Gear list
Like?
Re: The tortoise and the hare
In reply to HappyVan, 9 months ago

HappyVan wrote:

One hare (called Fuji) didn't try to finish in the top three. It was there for its fans. As it ran at a comfortable pace, it worked social media. It knew that when it got to the finish line, its fans would be there cheering.

Wait on.... it was there for its fans? They were, like, already there, just waiting for Fuji to make something? I don't think so. I (and most other Fuji adopters) were neutrals who liked the cut of their jib, thought we might give it a try.

As it has turned out, the Fuji X series have been really good fun to use - it's something people say time and again, "this [Fuji X] camera has put the fun back into photography". People don't become enthusiastic for no reason and they're certainly not forgiving of the odd brain-fart in Fuji's products - you should see the wailing and gnashing of teeth about even minor "suboptimal" features over in the Fuji forums.

Maybe you should give, say, an X-T1 a try for a couple of weeks? Tell us how awful it is once you've used it?

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Pantyhose Bandit
Contributing MemberPosts: 750Gear list
Like?

Pantyhose Bandit wrote:

Err wut?

20 years ago Olympus abandoned SLR cameras totally. They came back two years later and started making junky compact 35mm cameras again. Never again did they make on cameras. Fast forward a few years of dismal 35mm compacts and digital arrived. The rest is history. I fully expect olympus to dump 4/3 to concentrate on micro 4/3. I expect them to dump that shortly thereafter. Its what they do.

Pantyhose Bandit's gear list:Pantyhose Bandit's gear list
Leica S2 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Brother MFC-J6910dw Echo One File Juicer Vertu Ti +2 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,427Gear list
Like?
EOS-M isn't DEAD.....but its is on a Life Support barely holding on

CAcreeks wrote:

Open forum has another thread with similar title, mostly concerned with Sony and Fuji, but I'd like to see a count of those interested in voting. Canon and Nikon not included because the EOS-M seems already abandoned and Nikon 1 seems successful enough to continue. In alphabetic order:

EOS-M isn't dead....yet.  It's still alive and kicking but only in a few "selected" Asian countries.  I would say EOS-M is in comatose on a life support....barely holding on.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
Who will abandon trolling first ?

Hard to take seriously a post on this subject when you omit Nikon and Canon, but think that Olympus and Panasonic ( who ONLY have mirrorless ) are more likely to leave mirrorless than Nikon, who barely have a mirrorless strategy.

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,247Gear list
Like?

CAcreeks wrote:

EOS M is still produced for Asia. Nikon 1 goes down quickly, and certainly not more successful than Olympus, Panasonic and Sony.

Right question should be who abandons DSLRs NEXT - because Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and Fuji have already abandoned them.

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,247Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pantyhose Bandit, 9 months ago

Pantyhose Bandit wrote:

Pantyhose Bandit wrote:

Err wut?

20 years ago Olympus abandoned SLR cameras totally.

Dude, Olympus produced OM-4Ti all the way to 2002. Check your calendar.

And BTW, now they are leaders in mirrorless sales, taking about 1/4-1/3 of the market all to themselves.

Paul Lowe
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?

CAcreeks wrote:

This is like asking which car companies are going to abandon hybrids first becuase a few had inauspicious entries into this new market.

The answer is:

If the platform is viable (it looks like it is), then no one can AFFORD to abandon it for long....

This doesn't mean everyone will be tripping over themselves to be on the bleeding edge though....

Paul Lowe's gear list:Paul Lowe's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads