EM1 42.5 f/1.2 random shots Birthday Party...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,846Gear list
Like?
EM1 42.5 f/1.2 random shots Birthday Party...
9 months ago

I was just shooting and enjoying the party, not trying for any poses...I shot the A7r with 55mm and did not get one sharp shot as it could not focus fast enough to lock AF and shoot...the EM1 w/ 42.5 f/1.2 is a "class act" folks...it works excellent...it is excellent sharp at f/1.2...I shot these at f/1.4 I do not know why...should have shoot at f/1.2...

Large SF jpegs...cropped...added punch...reduced highlights...lifted shadows on the first photo of my brother in law and his beautiful wife (The backlight was killer!)

Look at the ISO's all 200...lol...indoors...

A7r went all the way to 2500 unnecessarily once and 1600 other times and not ONE clean clear sharp shot...too slow...

EM1 and 42.5 is a portrait machine...

http://acwilli.smugmug.com/Other/Lukes-Birthday-2014/

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sinkas
Contributing MemberPosts: 599Gear list
Like?
Re: EM1 42.5 f/1.2 random shots Birthday Party...
In reply to LTZ470, 9 months ago

So where are we - a Sony A7r kit costing over $3000 can't handle a birthday party! 

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl
Hobbes: You're ignorant, but at least you act on it.”
Bill Watterson, The Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes

sinkas's gear list:sinkas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to sinkas, 9 months ago

sinkas wrote:

So where are we - a Sony A7r kit costing over $3000 can't handle a birthday party!

Yep, I am really unhappy with it as well, the FE 55 f/1.8 lens got stellar reviews over the top IQ on the A7r, and then can't lock AF on a child's face at a birthday party with some backlighting...the EM1 made short work of it with the 42.5 f/1.2...

I should have tried Face Recognition and/or Eye Start AF on the Sony though...

EM1 was super fast and responsive...

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,634Gear list
Like?

And if you wanted to shoot a big sweeping landscape you'd pick up an A7r and some legacy glass (well I sure would anyway).

Cameras all have different strong points.

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, 9 months ago

Dheorl wrote:

And if you wanted to shoot a big sweeping landscape you'd pick up an A7r and some legacy glass (well I sure would anyway).

Definitely thats the reason i got it for Landscapes, but the FE 55 is a stellar lens you would think it would AF easily at f/1.8 indoors with plenty of light...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,634Gear list
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

Definitely thats the reason i got it for Landscapes, but the FE 55 is a stellar lens you would think it would AF easily at f/1.8 indoors with plenty of light...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Well the larger sensor does mean the af has to be more accurate. Also m43 is known for leading mirrorless when it comes to af.

ekaton
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?

"Portrait machine" is kind of an oxymoron, isn`t it;-). Anyway nice birthday candids.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Leica M9 Nikon Df
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?

what's really surprising for me is how the E-M1 managed to keep the ISO so low while the A7r pumped it up way beyond the 2 stop advantage limit.

Honestly if FF made cameras that were just as good as m43 but with FF IQ I would consider it. But with this performance of current FF mirrorless I really can't see any reason to even consider it let alone go for it one day.

Also, could you please comment in general on how you find the Sony 55mm sharpness compared to the 42.5mm when it actually does focus? I really want to know if the 55mm really is that good or is it DxO miscalculation hype.

One last note, I know you're a JPEG only user and I'm like you, but even I would shoot RAW if I were using the A7r. Sony reputation for JPEG is horrible.You're probably missing out on a whole lot because of it.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,539Gear list
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

I was just shooting and enjoying the party, not trying for any poses...I shot the A7r with 55mm and did not get one sharp shot as it could not focus fast enough to lock AF and shoot...the EM1 w/ 42.5 f/1.2 is a "class act" folks...it works excellent...it is excellent sharp at f/1.2...I shot these at f/1.4 I do not know why...should have shoot at f/1.2...

Large SF jpegs...cropped...added punch...reduced highlights...lifted shadows on the first photo of my brother in law and his beautiful wife (The backlight was killer!)

A7r went all the way to 2500 unnecessarily once and 1600 other times and not ONE clean clear sharp shot...too slow...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Some very nice shots there (and better than I expected from the 42.5).

I do think you should retry the A7R.

My A7 and kit lens focused well last night at the harness races in light that SEEMED a lot lower than you had  (maybe not but looks that way to me).... a lot slower lens but a lot faster action.

It is just a kit lens and I took it along to see how it would work and it surprised me (in terms of focusing in low light). I guess the lack of PDAF in the R makes a difference.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
JeanLucX
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?

Very nice shots you got there.  Between the Panasonic 42.5mm and the Olympus 75mm, which lens do you think is better?

JeanLucX's gear list:JeanLucX's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to JeanLucX, 9 months ago

JeanLucX wrote:

Very nice shots you got there. Between the Panasonic 42.5mm and the Olympus 75mm, which lens do you think is better?

Both are great sharp lens wide open, but indoors the 75 was just too long for me...the 42.5 f/1.2 all's I can say if you shoot it, your eyebrows will raise immediately at the quickness of the camera, the steadiness, the sharpness at f/1.2. the bokeh...

ONE of the best pieces of glass I have ever touched...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to neil holmes, 9 months ago

neil holmes wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Some very nice shots there (and better than I expected from the 42.5).

I do think you should retry the A7R.

My A7 and kit lens focused well last night at the harness races in light that SEEMED a lot lower than you had (maybe not but looks that way to me).... a lot slower lens but a lot faster action.

It is just a kit lens and I took it along to see how it would work and it surprised me (in terms of focusing in low light). I guess the lack of PDAF in the R makes a difference.

Yep, heavy contrast outdoors with additional lighting...I could not get locked on to any of the faces with A7R and FE 55...

A7 with PDAF is probably much better choice for anything even close to action...or party shots...even wedding photographers are going to have their hands full indoors with A7r and FE 55...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, 9 months ago

Dheorl wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Well the larger sensor does mean the af has to be more accurate. Also m43 is known for leading mirrorless when it comes to af.

Not just leading...leaping over the A7R!...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to ekaton, 9 months ago

ekaton wrote:

"Portrait machine" is kind of an oxymoron, isn`t it;-). Anyway nice birthday candids.

Yeah, it's a very fine glass the 42.5 f/1.2 and we know glass is where it's at...it really makes the EM1 shine indoors...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to highwave, 9 months ago

highwave wrote:

what's really surprising for me is how the E-M1 managed to keep the ISO so low while the A7r pumped it up way beyond the 2 stop advantage limit.

Honestly if FF made cameras that were just as good as m43 but with FF IQ I would consider it. But with this performance of current FF mirrorless I really can't see any reason to even consider it let alone go for it one day.

Also, could you please comment in general on how you find the Sony 55mm sharpness compared to the 42.5mm when it actually does focus? I really want to know if the 55mm really is that good or is it DxO miscalculation hype.

One last note, I know you're a JPEG only user and I'm like you, but even I would shoot RAW if I were using the A7r. Sony reputation for JPEG is horrible.You're probably missing out on a whole lot because of it.

Thats whats crazy? Why can't the all powerful LIGHT GATHERING holy grail of cameras AF in that kind of light?

FFF's will pee on your leg and tell you it is rain, IF you let them...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

photohounds
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Very nice lens ...
I have the 45 and 75 .. maybe there's room for it - AFTER the 40-150

-- hide signature --

Well designed gear performs better for longer than well marketed gear.
Pics:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/
Oly and other .. Gear test samples:

http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests

The tiny 45mm
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests/Zuiko-45mm-f18/

photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

highwave wrote:

Thats whats crazy? Why can't the all powerful LIGHT GATHERING holy grail of cameras AF in that kind of light?

Is that Ziess 55mm really as good as people say it is? or is this just very good but not phenomenal?

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to highwave, 9 months ago

highwave wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

highwave wrote:

Is that Ziess 55mm really as good as people say it is? or is this just very good but not phenomenal?

Yes, according to DxO, its great on A7R at 1.8, and Nex-7 and A3000 from f/2.8 upwards...supposedly excellent rivaling many other top lens for sharpness across the frame on A7r...but if it won't AF doesn't make any difference how sharp it is!

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18-on-Sony-A7R-versus-Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18-on-Sony-NEX-7-versus-Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18-on-Sony-A3000___1252_917_1252_736_1252_906

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

photohounds
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?

sinkas wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl

Onya Sinka  OMDs do very well indeed.
Goebbels and other opposing marketing men hate them, the lie is unraveling - you DON'T need a big cam to get great results.

-- hide signature --

Well designed gear performs better for longer than well marketed gear.
Pics:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/
Oly and other .. Gear test samples:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests

photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,614
Like?

sinkas wrote:

I don't think so. A camera doesn't handle anything. It is just a tool. So I'd say that what we have here, is more likely - a photographer with a newly purchassed Sony A7r kit costing over $3000, didn't have enough time to learn how to properly handle this camera and therefore, can't handle a birthday party!

Now don't get me wrong. I don't say that the OP isn't a good photographer, on the contrary, I've seen lots of great photos coming from him, but you simply can't expect to get the best out of a tool if you don't have the time needed to study it properly.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads