Cancel 150-600 tamron?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,541
Like?
Cancel 150-600 tamron?
8 months ago

I was going to respond to Jim's thread and mention hang tough..ect. I came across this test from lens rentals. Now the last thing i want to be is a 'debbie downer' but these test show a huge drop from 500 in resolution. Isn't that the main reason for the lens to begin with?

Not having stabilization beside how much is the 100mm at a decreased resolution along with shutter/iso and handholding going to really gain with this lens?

Could be the copy possibly, but for those who have $1,000 tied uo for what may amount to..well it does go to 600mm, but at what cost in iq, resolution and practicality?

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/01/tamron-150-600-telezoom-shootout

I am not interested personally and am not out to put down the lens in any way, i thought it might be of valuable information to my comrades/friends/ and fellow a-mount shooters here. -Thank you-brian

Jim Funston
Senior MemberPosts: 1,441
Like?
Re: Cancel 150-600 tamron?
In reply to brian14478, 8 months ago

brian, I have been looking at user shots and their feedback far more than the tests. There seems to be a slight drop from 500-600 in IQ at full aperture but it seems to clean up with a step or two smaller aperture or in post processing. You do not hear many user complaints about this and the 600mm images I have been seeing recently from Canon 6d's are outstanding and to me it is the final output after PP that really matters in the end to me.

For me it is not a issue with the Tamron's IQ that is making me think about canceling but the fact I expected to receive it 1/17/14 per it's listing in several NYC retailers and it seems like it will actually be 9 months later. This just festers under my skin every time I think about it. I have no problem with the lens and its results I have been seeing from actual user's. I still want the lens just not the wait...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
denisg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,178Gear list
Like?

brian14478 wrote:

I was going to respond to Jim's thread and mention hang tough..ect. I came across this test from lens rentals. Now the last thing i want to be is a 'debbie downer' but these test show a huge drop from 500 in resolution. Isn't that the main reason for the lens to begin with?

Not having stabilization beside how much is the 100mm at a decreased resolution along with shutter/iso and handholding going to really gain with this lens?

Could be the copy possibly, but for those who have $1,000 tied uo for what may amount to..well it does go to 600mm, but at what cost in iq, resolution and practicality?

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/01/tamron-150-600-telezoom-shootout

I am not interested personally and am not out to put down the lens in any way, i thought it might be of valuable information to my comrades/friends/ and fellow a-mount shooters here. -Thank you-brian

Huge drop? depends on what you want the output to be. In the real world and taking into account this lens has a learning curve for handling and camera settings (on my Canon anyway!) it is pretty good at 600mm using f7.1-f8. Don't read tests, look at real photographs of real subjects that the lens was designed for IMHO.

Brian (or anyone interested), if you use Photoshop or similar and want to play with a raw file from this lens then feel free to try this one https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47013864/1D3_0643.CR2 if it will help. Shot at 600mm, ISO200, f7.1 and in decent light for the UK. The camera was a Canon 1D Mk III which is only 10mp with a 1.3x crop factor.

Please note that I am not a ship jumper as such, most of my equipment is still Minolta or Sony and I am not parting with any of it. I just managed a 1D with this lens for less than I would have paid for an A99 body only which was the route I was considering.

Hope this helps.

Denis.

-- hide signature --

DenisG.
http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/
First get a pic, if it's still there, compose one!

denisg's gear list:denisg's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 7D +11 more
capt bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,670Gear list
Like?

I saw this test a while back and was more surprised at the performance of the Sigma for having that lens and knowing it's capabilities on the long end , And the 200-500 Tam I recently sold was also a good long end performer , Me thinks Lab testing might be Scientific while outdoor wildlife shooting Realistic at F 8 , I have seen nothing to cause me to pulling out although doubt it will be my Primary lens.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +27 more
SteveJnerChicago
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?

For what it's worth...

I had this lens on order back in December 2013 and, based on initial ads and reports, thought I would have it in January 2014. When I saw the first test shots, of Yellowstone Park Bison, I thought not bad, not the best but not bad. I then so some early user shots from different Canon users which ranged from just ok to usable. I then learned it would not be until at least late April or May that I could take delivery of the Sony version. This gave me time to re-consider and watch what the Canon systems could produce. While the image quality improved, even the best still seemed less than what I desire in a final image. Note that, as a Bird photographer with a lot to learn, I put high priority on Sharpness and contrast. There is something else about even the best images that I've seen that I can't really quantify but I just could not find any images that made me say Holy Cr#p!!!!!

While a 600mm reach at $1100USD is an incredible value, The image quality and the long wait for the Sony version made me re-think and I started to look at used Minolta 600 f4's. Once I learned how good the Minolta 600mm f4 APO AF HS G was, I canceled my Tamron 150-600 order with B&H and purchased the Minolta. I already have a Minolta 500f8 ($465 on eBay) from which I can get the same quality IQ as what I have seen from the Tamron. I also rationalized that I would save $1100 on the Minolta 600 and get a Great lens vs. a good lens.

After reading this thread and using the Minolta 600, I am even more confident that I made the right choice for me. I dread post processing and if the Tamron requires the same or more time than what I sometimes have to do on 500f8 and SAL70400G photos then I would be disappointed. I find with the Minolta I am having to spend significantly less time in post and have a higher keeper rate.

Now some of the recent Tamron captures I see are pretty darn good especially when you consider this lens price. And once the Sony version is released and I can see image samples and tests I might still buy the Tamron as a walk about with a Monopod. The $1100 price is fantastic for that reach but not if the IQ isn't there. We'll have to wait and see. (Damn you CanoNikon for making us wait) In the meantime, I am looking at a used Minolta 400mm f4.5 AF APO G to replace my Sony SAL70400G. Because of the Minolta quality, I'd bet I can get better image IQ from the Minolta 400mm when cropped to match the Tamron's reach.

Again, I think the Tamron is a great lens at it's price point but, like everyone else, I work really hard for my money and I'm not "rich" in any sense of the word, So when I spend my money I want the best results I can afford. I think that if I waited for the Tamron, I would have been disappointed compared to what I get and can get from other lens. It's a personal choice.

SteveJnerChicago's gear list:SteveJnerChicago's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 300mm F2.8 G +5 more
lehill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,325Gear list
Like?

I've compared the MTF's of the Tamron against my Sigma 150-500mm. Now I don't know much more about reading MTF's than "higher numbers are better" but the Tamron still has slightly better, at the very least the equivalent, sharpness and contrast at 600mm than my Sigma at 500mm. This also means the Tamron will be even better at 500mm.

Then there's that fast focus - that's soooo much better than my Sigma. This is actually the main reason I'm keenly interested in this lens.

Like Jim says, if the lens was a real dog at 600mm we would have heard about it by now. The early adopters have had it for almost 2 months.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II +23 more
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,648Gear list
Like?

I don't see it that way. The Tamron is essentially as good as the $1700 Canon at 400mm which is as long as the Canon goes.

The bottom line, though, is at 400mm the Tamron 150-600 VC and Canon 100-400 IS are virtually identical, with the Tamron 200-500 and Sigma 50-500 a bit behind. Let’s keep it in perspective, though, both the Sigma and Tamron 200-500 are still very good at 400mm.

There’s only one contestant here, obviously – we just wanted to compare the Tamron’s results at the extreme end to the rest of the range. And let’s be realistic: at 600mm and f/8 technique is going to have a lot more to do with how good the images look than the MTF 50 data generated in a lab. Yeah, I know you have a great image taken hand-held at 600mm and f/8 with 1/150 shutter speeds. One time I dropped my camera, the shutter went off when it hit, and it made a great macro of the bottom of a dandelion.

There’s no question that resolution drops off at the extreme telephoto end of the zoom range, as shown below. A number of photographers have noted the same thing, but have shown 600mm resolution is much better at f/8.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,690
Like?
In reply to lehill, 8 months ago

lehill wrote:

Like Jim says, if the lens was a real dog at 600mm we would have heard about it by now. The early adopters have had it for almost 2 months.

Yes, I think it's going to be quite a while before we start to see them show up on Ebay

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
In reply to denisg, 8 months ago

denisg wrote:

Brian (or anyone interested), if you use Photoshop or similar and want to play with a raw file from this lens then feel free to try this one https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47013864/1D3_0643.CR2 if it will help. Shot at 600mm, ISO200, f7.1 and in decent light for the UK. The camera was a Canon 1D Mk III which is only 10mp with a 1.3x crop factor.

-- hide signature --

DenisG.

That nuthatch looks perfect. Sharpness is very good, what more do you want at 600mm and F7.1.

I use my Tamron 200-500 at 500mm and F6.3 most of the times and I am very happy about the sharpness. Maybe the 150-600 is at its best from F7.1 and higher. Not a big problem for me.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
NAwlins Contrarian
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?

Almost all of the long zoom lenses are less sharp (usually substantially less sharp) at their extreme long ends. The emerging consensus of tests is that the Tamron 150-600mm is the winner; not only is it the only one to reach 600mm, but it is sharper at 500mm than any of the Sigmas (original 50-500mm, current 50-500mm OS HSM, old 170-500mm, and current 150-500mm OS HSM) or the older Tamron 200-500mm. For example, its closest competitor, the Sigma 150-500mm, starts getting significantly less sharp past about 350mm.

So I think your choice is:

* get the Tamron 150-600mm ($1069), the zoom lens with both the best performance at 500mm and the longest reach;

* get the Sigma 150-600mm ($969), zoom lens that gives you a stabilized viewfinder even in Sony mount;

* get a prime lens for a lot more money, size, and weight, and with less flexibility, but better optical performance; or

* get one of the older, cheaper options, and give up one or more of optical quality, SSM-type focusing, a stabilized viewfinder through in-lens stabilization, and/or reach.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Nikon Coolpix S30 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +6 more
doctorxring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
In reply to SteveJnerChicago, 8 months ago

SteveJnerChicago wrote:

For what it's worth...

I had this lens on order back in December 2013 and, based on initial ads and reports, thought I would have it in January 2014. When I saw the first test shots, of Yellowstone Park Bison, I thought not bad, not the best but not bad. I then so some early user shots from different Canon users which ranged from just ok to usable. I then learned it would not be until at least late April or May that I could take delivery of the Sony version. This gave me time to re-consider and watch what the Canon systems could produce. While the image quality improved, even the best still seemed less than what I desire in a final image. Note that, as a Bird photographer with a lot to learn, I put high priority on Sharpness and contrast. There is something else about even the best images that I've seen that I can't really quantify but I just could not find any images that made me say Holy Cr#p!!!!!

While a 600mm reach at $1100USD is an incredible value, The image quality and the long wait for the Sony version made me re-think and I started to look at used Minolta 600 f4's. Once I learned how good the Minolta 600mm f4 APO AF HS G was, I canceled my Tamron 150-600 order with B&H and purchased the Minolta. I already have a Minolta 500f8 ($465 on eBay) from which I can get the same quality IQ as what I have seen from the Tamron. I also rationalized that I would save $1100 on the Minolta 600 and get a Great lens vs. a good lens.

After reading this thread and using the Minolta 600, I am even more confident that I made the right choice for me. I dread post processing and if the Tamron requires the same or more time than what I sometimes have to do on 500f8 and SAL70400G photos then I would be disappointed. I find with the Minolta I am having to spend significantly less time in post and have a higher keeper rate.

Now some of the recent Tamron captures I see are pretty darn good especially when you consider this lens price. And once the Sony version is released and I can see image samples and tests I might still buy the Tamron as a walk about with a Monopod. The $1100 price is fantastic for that reach but not if the IQ isn't there. We'll have to wait and see. (Damn you CanoNikon for making us wait) In the meantime, I am looking at a used Minolta 400mm f4.5 AF APO G to replace my Sony SAL70400G. Because of the Minolta quality, I'd bet I can get better image IQ from the Minolta 400mm when cropped to match the Tamron's reach.

Again, I think the Tamron is a great lens at it's price point but, like everyone else, I work really hard for my money and I'm not "rich" in any sense of the word, So when I spend my money I want the best results I can afford. I think that if I waited for the Tamron, I would have been disappointed compared to what I get and can get from other lens. It's a personal choice.

How much did you pay for the Minolta 600mm f4 APO AF HS G ?

The one I found on Ebay was $7,000

Apples and Oranges ?

doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II +4 more
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,541
Like?
denisg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to danny006, 8 months ago

danny006 wrote:

denisg wrote:

Brian (or anyone interested), if you use Photoshop or similar and want to play with a raw file from this lens then feel free to try this one https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47013864/1D3_0643.CR2 if it will help. Shot at 600mm, ISO200, f7.1 and in decent light for the UK. The camera was a Canon 1D Mk III which is only 10mp with a 1.3x crop factor.

-- hide signature --

DenisG.

That nuthatch looks perfect. Sharpness is very good, what more do you want at 600mm and F7.1.

I use my Tamron 200-500 at 500mm and F6.3 most of the times and I am very happy about the sharpness. Maybe the 150-600 is at its best from F7.1 and higher. Not a big problem for me.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

The sweet spot for my 200-500 on my Sony A700 has always been f8. I have used that lens for ten years and that has never changed despite much use. Probably the most reliable lens I have had especially as it has shot more frames than all my other lenses put together. Its long service and reliability is the reason I purchased the 150-600 without question.

Denis.

-- hide signature --

DenisG.

denisg's gear list:denisg's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 7D +11 more
Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,458Gear list
Like?
After lots of contemplation, I did

...having the 2470za and both 70200&400Gs, my long term lens strategy was to next acquire a 1635za ... but got caught up in the new Tammy hype and pre-ordered. This caused me to compromise on the wide angle end and purchased the Samyang 14mm instead of the CZ...

After struggling to like my copy of the 14 (it suffers a soft left edge at all apertures) I've decided I have made way more compromises than am comfortable with... so I cancelled the Tammy, returned the Sammy, and have the wide CZ headed my way. I feel like I'm back on track now, for my needs. Am looking forward to seeing the results of the early Alpha Tammy adopters, who knows, may end up getting it in the long run, just not now.
--
- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,690
Like?

That's an excellent review, but he doesn't seem to realize that there is a Sony alternative

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Jim Funston
Senior MemberPosts: 1,441
Like?
Re: After lots of contemplation, I did
In reply to Alan_S, 8 months ago

Alan I think you made the right move for your overall photography strategy ....... I have 24 lenses and actually NEED and another one like a hole in the head. But you know how this needs and want's thing goes

One thing I have found over time is that no matter how many lenses one might have most people tend to keep 1-2 lenses in use on a specific body 90% of the time and the rest just sit in the case till a specific need arises where one of the others would be of greatest use and advantage for a specific shoot.

I shoot outdoors 95% of the time and 90-95% of that time I am shooting scenics. I am old and carry size and weight is a issue for long trek's. My rig of choice is my Sigma DP2m on a Nodel Ninja. It is light weight and a exceptional camera system for this type of shooting with hike in's and out's. I may use my Nex 7 for this as well with a CG45mm on it and Singh ray filters depending on the expected environment I will be shooting. I almost never change lenses afield due to the environments I shoot are normally windy and with sand and salt in the air. What I leave the vehicle with is what I will shoot the rest of the day with generally and I have 13 OEM E mount lenses plus a bunch of legacy glass for the NEX that rarely see light of day.

My slr/slt's are my wildlife and indoor flash rigs. When afield one body carries a long tele and the other a long macro most of the time. I have UWA glass through TELE's but usually for wildlife right now the 70-400G is on one and the 180 Tamron is on the other....... just the way this works out for my way of shooting. Most times the other glass does not leave the house.

Good ole need's and want'seh?????  At the time I was ordering the other glass I justified the need the whole time but when it arrived I shot them a few times and ended up going back to my other regularly used glass.

Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,458Gear list
Like?
Re: After lots of contemplation, I did
In reply to Jim Funston, 8 months ago

Yeah, Jim, I did use that word "need" a bit loosely! Am really looking forward to seeing your results when that new lens arrives!

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,045Gear list
Like?
I'm staying on board...

Despite the delays and frustrations actually getting this lens in my hands, and the fact that I already sold off my 200-500mm in anticipation when I thought I could get this lens by late January...I still can't think of any other choice that would be better overall for the money.  I have other long lens solutions I can shoot with while I wait, I had the 200-500mm Tamron which by every 'test' and many 'reports' by others was soft wide open at 500mm while I found the output quite excellent at that setting...so tests to be honest mean little to nothing for me - real world use, and moreover, my OWN real world use, it what will tell me if this lens is good at 600mm and wide open.  If it can match what the Tamron 200-500mm did at 500mm F6.3, but do it at 600mm, then I'm completely satisfied.  If it sharpens up even more by F8 or so, then I'm in bliss.  Add in a focus limiter, silent motor, and good build with some moisture-resistant seals, and it's a complete bargain compared to anything that can even get close in focal reach.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
lehill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,325Gear list
Like?

The site has a cool widget where you can compare just about any 2 lenses he has reviewed against each other using a resolution chart. He's done quite a few, so pick a lens you're familiar with and check it out.

Here's the Sigma 150-500mm @ 500mm vs. the Tamron 150-600mm @600mm, both at f8. Move cursor over the image to switch lenses:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=683&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=5&API=2&LensComp=929&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=2

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II +23 more
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,801
Like?
Re: I'm staying on board...
In reply to zackiedawg, 8 months ago

zackiedawg wrote:

Despite the delays and frustrations actually getting this lens in my hands, and the fact that I already sold off my 200-500mm in anticipation when I thought I could get this lens by late January...I still can't think of any other choice that would be better overall for the money.

That's pretty much why I'm staying as well. It's in fact why I pre ordered in the first place.  It's really amazing what folks compare as if they fill the same photographic niche.  Even the 70-400G is not the same niche in my system of A mount equipment and I'd already decided the 200-500 would go when Tamron came out with a longer focal length model if it was better, the decision was made to fill the niche.  The 150-600 certainly fits that.

Besides I have over $80K of potential fire insurance proceeds to keep me busy now.  In one week I will no longer be able to add to the list and it will be down to just buying what they covered. I'll end up short of the $80K by quite a bit as they rule out things. And a major search these last couple weeks of everything leaves three tripods and one tripod head to add to the list as they have not surfaced. Carbon fiber and magnesium just vanishes in a fire.  That alone is more money than the lens. Claim or loose that's what I'm busy with. In due course the 150-600 will arrive, no worries or headaches to make that happen.

-- hide signature --

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say, Not For What You Understand.
-Walt-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads