Windows 7 activation

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,719
Like?
Windows 7 activation
9 months ago

Hi,

my wife's Windows 7 notebook needed repair for a defect switch. But besides fixing this they said it had some serious virus infection which demanded reformatting. When reinstalling the system they used a different product key than imprinted on the sticker fixed on the notebook's back and now when performing Windows updates the system alerts for non original Windows. Frankly I'm already sick with those people and I don't want to take the notebook back. So here's the question: is there a way to exchange the Windows product key for the correct one? According to MS's site it should work in a way - however it doesn't. I'd appreachiate your help. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,971
Like?
Re: Windows 7 activation
In reply to Michael Fritzen, 9 months ago

It may be easier to call Microsoft and explain the problem, where they'll probably give you a key that you can plug in to resolve it. Phone Numbers for Microsoft Activation Call Centers here:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Fritzen
Like?
In reply to Jim Cockfield, 9 months ago

Hi,

tahnks for the input. Thought about that but I'm in Brazil and I'm a bit afraid of being ripped - you know "taxes may apply".

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,496Gear list
Like?
Changing Windows 7 activation key

Michael Fritzen wrote:

Hi,

my wife's Windows 7 notebook needed repair for a defect switch. But besides fixing this they said it had some serious virus infection which demanded reformatting. When reinstalling the system they used a different product key than imprinted on the sticker fixed on the notebook's back and now when performing Windows updates the system alerts for non original Windows. Frankly I'm already sick with those people and I don't want to take the notebook back. So here's the question: is there a way to exchange the Windows product key for the correct one? According to MS's site it should work in a way - however it doesn't. I'd appreachiate your help. Thanks.

Please check as following steps:

Control Panel->System-> at the Windows activation selection, see if there is change product key link.

If there is not, please use command to try to change:

1. type cmd and right click it to run as administrator;

2. in the cmd window, type slmgr.vbs -ipk <type your product key here>;

3. To activate windows after changing the key, type: slmgr.vbs -ato

[Source: TechNet (I do not have the direct link anymore)]

All the best,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,727Gear list
Like?

Windows Vista and newer (Win7 & 8) allow the user to easily change the product key.  Here's how to do it:

1) Click the Start button, right-click on Computer, and select Properties.  A dialog window will appear with information about the system.

2) Scroll to the bottom of the dialog window to the area where it tells you about Windows activation.  To the right of the Product ID you should see "Change product key"  in blue lettering.  Click this to enter the correct key and try to activate Windows.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
Michael Fritzen
Like?
In reply to Bob Collette, 9 months ago

Bob Collette wrote:

Windows Vista and newer (Win7 & 8) allow the user to easily change the product key. Here's how to do it:

1) Click the Start button, right-click on Computer, and select Properties. A dialog window will appear with information about the system.

2) Scroll to the bottom of the dialog window to the area where it tells you about Windows activation. To the right of the Product ID you should see "Change product key" in blue lettering. Click this to enter the correct key and try to activate Windows.

Hi,

thanks for the reply. As far as I remember that's also what it says on MS' site but was puzzling me is the fact that there's no saying "Change product key" but simply the logo of "original Microsoft" as if it had been tested and confirmed. But then again at starting the notebook there's always a message appearing that it's not original - what is right because the shown product key on the page you mentioned isn't the proper one for the machine.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Michael Fritzen
Like?
In reply to Bob Collette, 9 months ago

Adding to the previous: after I proceeded like Oswald Christo suggested it seems that the right ID was accepted, activated and SURPRISE now the link in blue with the saying for Chaning the product key appears.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Michael Fritzen
Like?
Re: Changing Windows 7 activation key
In reply to Osvaldo Cristo, 9 months ago

Osvaldo Cristo wrote:

Michael Fritzen wrote:

Hi,

Please check as following steps:

Control Panel->System-> at the Windows activation selection, see if there is change product key link.

If there is not, please use command to try to change:

1. type cmd and right click it to run as administrator;

2. in the cmd window, type slmgr.vbs -ipk <type your product key here>;

3. To activate windows after changing the key, type: slmgr.vbs -ato

[Source: TechNet (I do not have the direct link anymore)]

All the best,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Hi Oswaldo,

thanks a lot. It worked a charm. Now I hope that the next time I start the computer I won't see that boring message again

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads