Piece of Junk.

Started 4 months ago | User reviews
Todd Ka
Senior MemberPosts: 2,683Gear list
Like?
Piece of Junk.
4 months ago

This lens is garbage.  The SDM is poorly designed and it predictably fails just after a year of normal usage.  This is a well known issue and has happened to many users.

I sent it for service after the warranty expired and paid over $200 to have it fixed, then guess what?  A little over a year later if failed again!

Optically the lens is great.  It just does not work.  If you are thinking about getting one, buy the longest extended warranty you can get or even better yet don't.  Get a Tamron or Sigma instead.

Todd Ka's score
Average community score
Jim Beverlin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054
Like?
Re: Piece of Junk.
In reply to Todd Ka, 4 months ago

I only have one (1) SMD lens (DA*55mm f/1.4) and since I bought it used from Adorama I could only get the highly questionable Mack warranty.  I kind of hold my breath every time I use it.  But I went ahead with it since it only set me back $30.  Hard to beat the 6 year warranty on Tamron lenses and the 3 year on Sigma lenses.

-- hide signature --

JRB

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soheil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,942Gear list
Like?
Maybe

I've got my 16-50 about 5 years ago and it still works perfectly, but my 50-135 which I bought at the same time stopped working since a year before. My cars have developed more problems during the same period, though

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +17 more
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,756Gear list
Like?

Class Awants you to stop using his avatar

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,682Gear list
Like?

Why now? ------

12 months ago you said

Lens is trash. I had 2 of them fail. Get a new or used Tamron 17-50mm screw drive lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50971684

2 years ago

Plan on spending that $274 every couple of years.

If you thought buying the 16-50mm was expensive, try keeping it working.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42413488

3 years ago

I would not buy this lens again for $100 brand new. Its been nothing but trouble.

I did buy a Pentax 17-70mm to replace it. I have had it for 4 months and so far I am satisfied. It focuses faster then the 16-50 and I am inclined to believe that it is sharper.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39820213

So why write a review on a lens you havn't owned for over 3 years ?

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
fotobert
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?

I confess, that I did not buy any SDM lens for exactly that reason. AFAIK not all SDM lenses are affected. I heard of these problems mostly with the 16-50 and 50-135 lenses. I hope the DC autofocus will be more reliable.

I had to send back my Sigma 8-16 HSM for AF problems last year within the 3 years extended warranty (first AF hunting, then no focus confirmation in 90%). It came back after 2 weeks. I think this is very good.

Have a nice weekend

Albert

fotobert's gear list:fotobert's gear list
Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +10 more
BFD
BFD
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?

Sorry your's lens is a peice of junk. You are rightly upset.

My 16 x 50 has been a real jewel for me since August of 2007. My most commonly used lens. I have  used it in all kinds of different weather extremes: hot,cold, rain, fog, and dessert dry. And four different camera bodies.

I also own 3 other lenses with SDM and never have had a SDM problem with any.

I wish you better luck on your future purchases with what ever the brand is that you choose.

hans_ch
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?

I took the risk to buy a DA 16-50mm about 3 month ago. From the beginning, the lens frequently refused to lock focus, especially at the long end (50mm). Manually de-focusing helped to re-activate SDM-focusing. The focus problems are becoming more frequent by now, and the motor is noisier. Too bad that I waited more than 30 days before contacting B+H, otherwise I could have sent it back. I was not sure how warranty would be handled out of USA. Pentax USA now sent me an international warranty and I hope I can get the lens serviced in Switzerland or Germany.

However the story ends, I managed to get a few keepers .. (but expensive ones).

-- hide signature --

www.hrfisch.zenfolio.com

hans_ch's gear list:hans_ch's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +6 more
Wanganuilad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,166Gear list
Like?
In reply to moving_comfort, 4 months ago

moving_comfort wrote:

Class Awants you to stop using his avatar

yeah, I wouldn't mess with Class A

-- hide signature --

K-5 K-01 some Len

awaldram
Like?
In reply to BFD, 4 months ago

BFD wrote:

Sorry your's lens is a peice of junk. You are rightly upset.

The guy hasn't owned the lens for over three years ,

I don't know what his agenda is but this is not a genuine review.

Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
In reply to hans_ch, 4 months ago

"I took the risk to buy a DA 16-50mm about 3 month ago. From the beginning, the lens frequently refused to lock focus, especially at the long end (50mm). Manually de-focusing helped to re-activate SDM-focusing. The focus problems are becoming more frequent by now, and the motor is noisier"

This is my experience also with my 16-50 about four months old.   I have it packed up and am about to send it back for repair.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +18 more
rondeann
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,671
Like?

I don't blame you a bit for complaining.  I cannot understand how Pentax can expect anyone to buy this lens with all the problems that have been described here and in other threads.  They should give a blanket 6 year warranty to anyone that has purchased or will purchase this lens.  Pentax, you should be ashamed.

Britney Elvis
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,706
Like?
Be prepared for an investigation
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 4 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

"I took the risk to buy a DA 16-50mm about 3 month ago. From the beginning, the lens frequently refused to lock focus, especially at the long end (50mm). Manually de-focusing helped to re-activate SDM-focusing. The focus problems are becoming more frequent by now, and the motor is noisier"

This is my experience also with my 16-50 about four months old. I have it packed up and am about to send it back for repair.

-- hide signature --

I hope you all have never said anything good about the lens or a certain Detective will search your posting history and make you eat your words...

All kidding aside, I am sorry to hear that problems with the two DA* lenses are still happening. It has been intimated here on this forum that the issues have been solved. Yet a few still pop up with the same old story.
I have always wanted a DA50-135, but since I buy many lenses used, I never felt comfortable with the risk... about to pull the trigger on a 70-200 Tamron for the F2.8.
Good luck with the repairs.

gus

awaldram
Like?
Re: Be prepared for an investigation
In reply to Britney Elvis, 4 months ago

Britney Elvis wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

This is my experience also with my 16-50 about four months old. I have it packed up and am about to send it back for repair.

-- hide signature --

I hope you all have never said anything good about the lens or a certain Detective will search your posting history and make you eat your words...

Irrelevant of how crxp SDM is or isn't posting a review for a lens you haven't owned for 3 years casts doubt on many legit grievances like OE's .

Do you really think not pointing out his 'agenda' would somehow make it not true... ?

Whereas me taking Pentax to court did a lot more to entice them to improve there product than stupid childish and often fabricated rants on a web forum.

6x9
6x9
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Ricoh has to go Nikon way with Pentax

Same story here, just the repair price tag and currency are different.

My 16-50 was not focusing well from the beginning (was very inacurate AF @ 16 mm). I'd decided to keep it thinking that My K10 was partially responsible for this. So my lens was sitting on a shelf for some (long) time. Then I've bought a K5 and started using the 16-50 with it again. All worked as a dream. But AF started showing some issues in about a week time (it was taking a few seconds after power on to make it work), then one day SDM died.

Called Pentax guys for a quote and they have given me estimation of 300 Euros. Well, thanks! I had bought my entire lens for some 550 bucks (just a bit over 400 EUR) s few yeras ago. Well, the price went up dramatically since then (why?).

It would br fair to claim cash for repair, if this would be an exceptional failure. However, internet is full of complaints about SDM faults.

Ricoh (or earlier - Pentax) should have acknowledged the issue and offered a free fix - same as Nikon have done recently for the D600 oil/dust shutter issue. This would contribute a lot to the positive image of the brand.

And now... Ricoh have lost me as a customer for their SDM lenses. Call me old-fashioned, but I am only buying the "screwdriver" lenses from them now.

Very unprofessional way of handling problems...

-- hide signature --

- 6x9 -

6x9's gear list:6x9's gear list
Nikon D80 Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Pentax K-01 +14 more
BFD
BFD
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 4 months ago

Thanks.

I was hooked by a TROLL.

wizofoz
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?

I'm sorry your 16-50 let you down so badly that you still feel the need to rant years after getting rid of it (if the information above is correct)

I need to report that I have had exactly the opposite experience with this lens.

Mine is faultless after 3 years or so of buying it 2nd hand from a fellow Pentaxian. The SDM works swiftly and silently, the focusing is spot on over the range and the image quality is superb.

I have 4 SDM lenses and the only one I have had trouble with is the 50-135. (which failed and I had repaired locally for under $100au) The 55 is a superb portrait lens, and the 60-250 is a superior meduim tele zoom, up there with anything anyone else has is is range.

From my personal POV, the rants about SDM failure are out of proportion with the actual problem. Each should be taken with an appropriately sized grain of salt.

wizofoz's gear list:wizofoz's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +25 more
MrLuffy
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
In reply to wizofoz, 4 months ago

Many similar complains on many forums have made me stay away from SDM lenses.

MrLuffy's gear list:MrLuffy's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +6 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,215Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 4 months ago

Thanks for enlightening us Andrew - good research.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
awaldram
Like?
In reply to wizofoz, 4 months ago

It does get a bit pitiful if lives are so short of attention they need to repeatedly rant here for pleasure..

When you have a decent memory and notice the same people posting the same rants about the same lens again and again ad infinitum.

Sadly it means people with new issues dare not post for fear of being tarred with the same brush.!

You also get the same crowd lapping it up as if it the first time they've seen it, which I'll admit makes me laugh.

Think there's a saying about it 1st , 2nd and then 3rd time?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads