Connecting a D800E to a hard drive or SSD

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Judy Stone
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
Connecting a D800E to a hard drive or SSD
9 months ago

It'd nice to be able to connect a hard drive or SSD to the D800E using the USB3 port (and some sort of USB3 to SATA cable) and then use the camera's menu to transfer the pictures from the flash card to the HD or SSD. That way I would just travel with a HD/SSD instead of the notebook. Does anyone know of any way to do this or similar solution? Thanks

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
Re: Connecting a D800E to a hard drive or SSD
In reply to Judy Stone, 9 months ago

Judy Stone wrote:

It'd nice to be able to connect a hard drive or SSD to the D800E using the USB3 port (and some sort of USB3 to SATA cable) and then use the camera's menu to transfer the pictures from the flash card to the HD or SSD. That way I would just travel with a HD/SSD instead of the notebook. Does anyone know of any way to do this or similar solution? Thanks

How would you power the hard drive? The camera operating system would also need to be designed  to mount external drives and probably a way of installing device drivers.

If you want portable storage why don't you just get a few extra high capacity SD & CF cards? Those would be smaller than an HD drive

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Judy Stone
Like?
In reply to CFynn, 9 months ago

CFynn wrote:

Judy Stone wrote:

How would you power the hard drive? The camera operating system would also need to be designed to mount external drives and probably a way of installing device drivers.

If you want portable storage why don't you just get a few extra high capacity SD & CF cards? Those would be smaller than an HD drive

-The hard drive or SSD could be powered via the D800E's USB3 port or if not possible then it doesn't hurt carrying a small AC/DC brick for the HD/SSD

- A firmware update would take care of the ability to mount external drives

- I'm talking of capacities over 512GB (up to maybe 4TB which is the current HD limit). Flash cards in this range are nonexistent and in the lower range are very expensive compared to an SSD or HD of similar capacity.

- I do recall that years ago there was a company that sold an external HD, self powered with internal AAA batteries and with its own built in OS and flash card slot. All you needed to do was insert the flash card and the unit would automatically transfer the pictures to the internal HD.

Judy Stone
Like?

This would be something close to what I meant, though a firmware update from Nikon would save us about $250+more convenience

David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,718
Like?
Good idea

Judy Stone wrote:

Have always wanted such a function.  It would be very useful, especially for video.

Photec
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?

Those self contained portable backup drives may still be available, but I don't recommend holding your breath waiting for that update from Nikon.

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,990Gear list
Like?

Judy Stone wrote:

- I do recall that years ago there was a company that sold an external HD, self powered with internal AAA batteries and with its own built in OS and flash card slot. All you needed to do was insert the flash card and the unit would automatically transfer the pictures to the internal HD.

I actually have one of those type of drives. Sitting in a box in my garage. Much too slow for my D800 files. Did use it with my Oly E-1.

Mine was made by I/O Magic and came with its own power brick and a 20 G drive which I then replaced with a larger drive. Fits in a nice padded zipper case with room for the USB cable..

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Judy Stone
Like?
In reply to digital ed, 9 months ago

digital ed wrote:

Judy Stone wrote:

I actually have one of those type of drives. Sitting in a box in my garage. Much too slow for my D800 files. Did use it with my Oly E-1.

Mine was made by I/O Magic and came with its own power brick and a 20 G drive which I then replaced with a larger drive. Fits in a nice padded zipper case with room for the USB cable..

-- hide signature --

I had one of those (I can't recall the brand) with around 20GB too. I only did a single picture transfer from my Oly xD card (files were fine in the xD card) to the unit, only to find out when I got home that all the files were lost due to corruption. I therefore never used it again as I lost trust in its reliability.

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,990Gear list
Like?

Judy Stone wrote:

digital ed wrote:

Judy Stone wrote:

-- hide signature --

I had one of those (I can't recall the brand) with around 20GB too. I only did a single picture transfer from my Oly xD card (files were fine in the xD card) to the unit, only to find out when I got home that all the files were lost due to corruption. I therefore never used it again as I lost trust in its reliability.

I agree, it was a bit funky. Also had a paper clip in the case for resetting. Don't recall ever losing a file though.

-- hide signature --

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
peter_moy13
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
In reply to digital ed, 9 months ago

I still have a device from this company that backed up files directly from CF and SD cards without the need for a laptop. Very handy when I had a D200 and multiple 2-Gig cards years ago.

Looks like they've upgraded the unit at least:

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/UDMA-2/

peter_moy13's gear list:peter_moy13's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads