Wedding with the Df

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
Wedding with the Df
9 months ago

I accidentally posted this on the Nikon lens forum, when I meant to put it here! Oh dear...

In any case, I recently attended a friends wedding in Dublin and decided to take my Df to see how it fared. Thought you might be interested in the results. I was purely there as a guest, but they didn't have an evening photographer so even though there was a fair bit of drink flowing I tried to capture some of the fun of the evening (does focus the mind as I was very conscious of not dropping, damaging, forgetting or losing the camera!).

As expected, there was very little light at times and I loved the fact that you could bump the ISO up to 10,000 or thereabouts and not worry too much. I only had a 50mm 1.8D on the camera which is a lovely combo as it doesn't take up much space and doesn't look too intimidating. I have come from an Olympus EM5 (which i still own) and really love the quality from the Df, whilst the images might not be as 'punchy' in terms of colour, they have a wonderful 3D feel to them.

There are a few parts to it but you can start at the beginning:

http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/the-wedding-of-gillian-and-graham-torrance/

Then these ones I really liked, taken about 3 in the morning smoking cigars under a heat lamp:

http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/part-9-the-cigars/

All thoughts welcome!

Cheers
Tom

tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tissunique
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,219
Like?
Re: Wedding with the Df
In reply to tkelly11, 9 months ago

Hi Tom

Nice observation but this is you and not the DF which does not seem to be the sharpest image-maker, and I do not like the colours. B&Ws are nice but once again, it's you and not this camera. If you want to see what a real compact is capable of in the right hands check this out from a Fuji photographer: http://ericbouvet.com/#Heroes-from-Maidan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yodog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,400Gear list
Like?

Hi Tom,

Let me be the first to say I thought the entire suite of wedding photos was wonderful.  You captured memories for the bride and groom that would otherwise  never be captured.  I'll bet it was rewarding to see the images for the first time!  Your Nikon Df shooting with the 50mm looks like a dream combination and the venue was amazing. Thanks for sharing your work.

Mike (a visitor from the D300 forums)

-- hide signature --

Give the gift of life - donate blood

yodog's gear list:yodog's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,093Gear list
Like?

tkelly11 wrote:

I accidentally posted this on the Nikon lens forum, when I meant to put it here! Oh dear...

In any case, I recently attended a friends wedding in Dublin and decided to take my Df to see how it fared. Thought you might be interested in the results. I was purely there as a guest, but they didn't have an evening photographer so even though there was a fair bit of drink flowing I tried to capture some of the fun of the evening (does focus the mind as I was very conscious of not dropping, damaging, forgetting or losing the camera!).

As expected, there was very little light at times and I loved the fact that you could bump the ISO up to 10,000 or thereabouts and not worry too much. I only had a 50mm 1.8D on the camera which is a lovely combo as it doesn't take up much space and doesn't look too intimidating. I have come from an Olympus EM5 (which i still own) and really love the quality from the Df, whilst the images might not be as 'punchy' in terms of colour, they have a wonderful 3D feel to them.

Then these ones I really liked, taken about 3 in the morning smoking cigars under a heat lamp:

All thoughts welcome!

Cheers
Tom

Tom, for a moment I thought the images were soft, but then I clicked through and saw they were mostly tack sharp.

I think overall it's a very nice set!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
dread_tai
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 9 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

tkelly11 wrote:

All thoughts welcome!

Cheers
Tom

Tom, for a moment I thought the images were soft, but then I clicked through and saw they were mostly tack sharp.

Robert

robert, odd i was thinking the exact opposite same thing, but didn't want to comment. many did seem "soft", even when i looked at the actual size. but it didn't matter to me b/c the point of the images was to capture the great moments and not display the df's merits...... it's not like he was there as the "photographer" but as the "guest". i think he did a good job.

i chalked up the softness due to ambient conditions, settings, etc......but it's the moments that were captured that mattered to me, and i was impressed.

dread_tai's gear list:dread_tai's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
tkelly11
Like?
In reply to dread_tai, 9 months ago

dread_tai wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

tkelly11 wrote:

All thoughts welcome!

Cheers
Tom

Robert

robert, odd i was thinking the exact opposite same thing, but didn't want to comment. many did seem "soft", even when i looked at the actual size. but it didn't matter to me b/c the point of the images was to capture the great moments and not display the df's merits...... it's not like he was there as the "photographer" but as the "guest". i think he did a good job.

i chalked up the softness due to ambient conditions, settings, etc......but it's the moments that were captured that mattered to me, and i was impressed.

Thanks guys, yeah I am still very much learning my way with it (and the gin possibly didn't help my technique ;-)). Overall I have found the 50mm 1.8D creates pleasing images but not in any way astounded by the sharpness. But then again, its a pretty good deal for what it costs so cant be too harsh. Would like to invest in something better in the future, then combined with a greater understanding of the camera should lead to better results. But overall I appreciate the memories.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
tkelly11
Like?
In reply to yodog, 9 months ago

yodog wrote:

Hi Tom,

Let me be the first to say I thought the entire suite of wedding photos was wonderful. You captured memories for the bride and groom that would otherwise never be captured. I'll bet it was rewarding to see the images for the first time! Your Nikon Df shooting with the 50mm looks like a dream combination and the venue was amazing. Thanks for sharing your work.

Mike (a visitor from the D300 forums)

-- hide signature --

Give the gift of life - donate blood

Thanks Mike, appreciate it. Really enjoying the Df, particularly with a small prime. Learning the ways of it, and having a great time!

39matt
Regular MemberPosts: 376
Like?

Very nice set of images and the Df is doing a great job from what I can see.

As someone who is using a D800 D700 combo for weddings I have been interested to see how the DF performs at such an event and it looks good. i am interested in one as a low light replacement for the D700 as the D4(S) is way out of my price bracket

Some people are concerned about it not having two card slots but then neither did the D700 and it is has been well used as a wedding camera.

tkelly11
Like?
In reply to 39matt, 9 months ago

39matt wrote:

Very nice set of images and the Df is doing a great job from what I can see.

As someone who is using a D800 D700 combo for weddings I have been interested to see how the DF performs at such an event and it looks good. i am interested in one as a low light replacement for the D700 as the D4(S) is way out of my price bracket

Some people are concerned about it not having two card slots but then neither did the D700 and it is has been well used as a wedding camera.

Yeah, I can understand that being a consideration as a pro. I have (and I realise by saying this, will probably mean it will now happen to me) never had an issue with an SD card. And you are right, if the D700 did the job, no reason the Df couldn't also. The only thing that i occasionally find a challenge is focusing without an af assist lamp in really low light. I picked mine up for £1624 which I think makes it far more appealing than the £2750 list price in the UK. At £1624 its right in amongst the D610 and D800 in terms of price. Really enjoying getting to grips with it.

39matt
Regular MemberPosts: 376
Like?

I had heard a few reports about the focusing as well but for the most part I am sure it's okay.
If you get chance it would be worth trying the new 50mm 1.8g and the 85mm 1.8g. I purchased these as upgrades to the D versions and they are really superb.
Just out of interest where did you purchase your Df from

Many thanks Matt

foto2021
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?

tkelly11 wrote:

Overall I have found the 50mm 1.8D creates pleasing images but not in any way astounded by the sharpness. But then again, its a pretty good deal for what it costs so cant be too harsh. Would like to invest in something better in the future, then combined with a greater understanding of the camera should lead to better results. But overall I appreciate the memories.

I liked this set very much. As a pro wedding shooter who has been doing it since 1973, I think this is an excellent set of 'informals' to complement the formal shots that the pro will have provided.

You should expect far more of the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D. It may not be expensive but its optical design has been recognised as outstanding since its introduction in 1979 as the Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8. Soon after, it gained multi-coating and was later released as an AI-S Nikkor.

There are few lenses sharper than this. It is sharp in the centre wide open and the edges are sharp by f/4. From f/5.6 to f/11 it is sharp across the frame but from f/11 diffraction inevitably blunts performance.

The AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D uses the focusing motor in the camera body to drive its focusing ring. Consequently, autofocus will be slower than with an AF-S lens. The most recent version of the 50mm f/1.8 is AF-S and has a 'Silent Wave' focusing motor in the lens allowing much faster response.

A couple of your shots showed clear signs of the camera not having focused properly, possibly because the shutter released without confirmation of correct focus having been obtained. But all of them showed less than optimal sharpness.

This suggests either that you have a bad copy of the lens, which is possible but unlikely - I must have used six or seven different examples of this optic over the years and they have all been very sharp - or the camera's AF system is in need of adjustment. I suggest you should carry out the simple tests needed to confirm the latter.

-- hide signature --

Colin

tkelly11
Like?
In reply to 39matt, 9 months ago

39matt wrote:

I had heard a few reports about the focusing as well but for the most part I am sure it's okay.
If you get chance it would be worth trying the new 50mm 1.8g and the 85mm 1.8g. I purchased these as upgrades to the D versions and they are really superb.
Just out of interest where did you purchase your Df from

Many thanks Matt

Hi Matt, yeah I am hoping to pick up the 85mm 1.8G in the next few months, just saving for it at the moment.

I picked the Df up from Panamoz in HK, at over £1000 less than what we are charged here in the UK I thought it was worth a go. Only potential issue I may now be facing is finding suitable insurance for travel when the camera doesnt have a UK receipt. Off to South Africa end of the week and really want to have that sorted!

tkelly11
Like?
In reply to foto2021, 9 months ago

foto2021 wrote:

tkelly11 wrote:

Overall I have found the 50mm 1.8D creates pleasing images but not in any way astounded by the sharpness. But then again, its a pretty good deal for what it costs so cant be too harsh. Would like to invest in something better in the future, then combined with a greater understanding of the camera should lead to better results. But overall I appreciate the memories.

I liked this set very much. As a pro wedding shooter who has been doing it since 1973, I think this is an excellent set of 'informals' to complement the formal shots that the pro will have provided.

You should expect far more of the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D. It may not be expensive but its optical design has been recognised as outstanding since its introduction in 1979 as the Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8. Soon after, it gained multi-coating and was later released as an AI-S Nikkor.

There are few lenses sharper than this. It is sharp in the centre wide open and the edges are sharp by f/4. From f/5.6 to f/11 it is sharp across the frame but from f/11 diffraction inevitably blunts performance.

The AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D uses the focusing motor in the camera body to drive its focusing ring. Consequently, autofocus will be slower than with an AF-S lens. The most recent version of the 50mm f/1.8 is AF-S and has a 'Silent Wave' focusing motor in the lens allowing much faster response.

A couple of your shots showed clear signs of the camera not having focused properly, possibly because the shutter released without confirmation of correct focus having been obtained. But all of them showed less than optimal sharpness.

This suggests either that you have a bad copy of the lens, which is possible but unlikely - I must have used six or seven different examples of this optic over the years and they have all been very sharp - or the camera's AF system is in need of adjustment. I suggest you should carry out the simple tests needed to confirm the latter.

-- hide signature --

Colin

Thank you Colin, I appreciate your thoughts. I think in terms of optimal sharpness, that can probably at least in part be down to user error. Coming from m43 where, in general, the prime lenses are pretty much sharp wide open I am having to work out what works best with FX. It would be great if it could be sharp from wide open, and from what I understand, very few FX lenses are that way. So I am just trying to learn what works best.

In terms of the focusing speed I have found it to be more than acceptable, with only the odd exception when its really dark and the camera temporarily gives up even trying. But apart from that, quite happy with it.

I am planning to pop into my local camera shop today so might try a few other options to see how they compare. Would love to get hold of the 85mm 1.8G to see what everyone is talking about as it seems to be a gem.

Thanks,

Tom

Felts
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

The cigar shots are amazing... Great mood captured in those!

I too couldn't resist the Panamoz option for the Df, and have recently picked up the 85mm 1.8G. It is a stunning as the DxOMark scores suggest...

-- hide signature --
 Felts's gear list:Felts's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +4 more
tkelly11
Like?
In reply to Felts, 9 months ago

Felts wrote:

The cigar shots are amazing... Great mood captured in those!

I too couldn't resist the Panamoz option for the Df, and have recently picked up the 85mm 1.8G. It is a stunning as the DxOMark scores suggest...

-- hide signature --

Thank you, very kind! I did really like those ones too. They were under a heat lamp and they came out far better than I had anticipated. Particularly as it was 3am in the morning!

Had a look on your Flickr and you have a wonderfully distinctive style. And glad to hear others have taken advantage of Panamoz. I was really impressed with their service.

The 85mm is very much on my list. I really like that focal length with the Panasonic Leica 45mm so looking forward to trying the 85mm when I get the cash together. I am off to South Africa at the end of this week so actually deliberating whether I can afford to buy it before the trip. Sure I could find a suitable use for it!

Felts
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

Thank you kind sir! Just a thought, if you are leaving the EU you might get the lens at the airport VAT free... Having said that I picked mine up in pristine condition for £300 on eBay. Great bang for the buck 

-- hide signature --
 Felts's gear list:Felts's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +4 more
tkelly11
Like?
In reply to Felts, 9 months ago

Felts wrote:

Thank you kind sir! Just a thought, if you are leaving the EU you might get the lens at the airport VAT free... Having said that I picked mine up in pristine condition for £300 on eBay. Great bang for the buck

-- hide signature --

That is an excellent suggestion! I have been keeping an eye on eBay but they seem to be going for a bit more than £300 at the moment. However its Heathrow I am flying from on Thursday so should have a decent range. I more often fly from Stansted which is pretty poor for camera stuff.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads