Nikon DF live view shooting..

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Pandaemas
Contributing MemberPosts: 554
Like?
Nikon DF live view shooting..
7 months ago

Hi everyone,

Im new to Nikon and Im wondering, when I manual focus with live view and zoom in on my intended focus area, is it possible to set it up to zoom out all the way once I nailed focus and half-press the shutter button? Rather than pressing the zoom-out button a couple of times which in turn throws the focus off again anyway..

Any help would be appreciated thanks!
--
www.memorialucis.blogspot.com

frank-in-toronto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,001
Like?
Re: Nikon DF live view shooting..
In reply to Pandaemas, 7 months ago

i suppose you're using the shutter half-press to focus.  switching to rear AF-ON will resolve that focus change issue.  as to how to get out of magnified view, try pressing OK.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pandaemas
Like?
In reply to frank-in-toronto, 7 months ago

Sorry for sounding nitpicky, but I dont find it comforable to AF with AF-on button.. Im used to halfpressing..
--

Pandaemas
Like?

Tried pressing ok it doesnt work..
--

Pandaemas
Like?

So no one knows how to instantenously get out if magnified zoom mode when you manual focus using live view? Or such option does not exist at all? I find it wierd if it doesnt..
--

frank-in-toronto
Like?

you're using the term "manual focus". if u manually focussed the lens, nothing you do on the camera will change the focus plane.

Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,770Gear list
Like?

frank-in-toronto wrote:

you're using the term "manual focus". if u manually focussed the lens, nothing you do on the camera will change the focus plane.

And if you are "half pressing" or using AF-on to focus you are not using manual focus.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Kent J
Senior MemberPosts: 2,378Gear list
Like?

Hi everyone,

Im new to Nikon and Im wondering, when I manual focus with live view and zoom in on my intended focus area, is it possible to set it up to zoom out all the way once I nailed focus and half-press the shutter button? Rather than pressing the zoom-out button a couple of times which in turn throws the focus off again anyway..

Any help would be appreciated thanks!
--

If you are in manual focus, nothing should "throw off focus"
--
-Kent

Life is too short for slow glass.
www.kentjoostenphotography.smugmug.com

Kent J's gear list:Kent J's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +15 more
Pandaemas
Like?
In reply to Kent J, 7 months ago

Maybe I didnt explain it well..

Im using live view handheld with a 55/1.2 ai lens. WHEn I have achieved a focus point, I'd like to half press my shutter to zoom out of magnification completely and frame properly then press the shutter.

If I have to press the "zoom out" button a couple times, will shake my camera , and thus throw the focus off, especially using 1.2.

On a other cameras I can simply half press and it will zoom out completely for me to recheck my composure.
--

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,199
Like?
"OK" button 1-press magnification

You can configure the OK button to toggle between 100% magnification and completely zoomed-out via a single press. Go to Custom Settings -> f2 (OK Button) -> Live View -> Zoom on/off -> Medium Magnification.

Pandaemas
Like?
Re: "OK" button 1-press magnification
In reply to Horshack, 7 months ago

Horshack thank you! Will try ASAP!
--

Artur81
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

Hi, shooting at f1.2 with live-view is probably not the best thing to do in my opinion! With the camera held at arms lenght, manual focusing and then pressing the OK button to zoom out and re-frame, by the time you take the shot, you probably lost focus already!

frank-in-toronto
Like?
In reply to Artur81, 7 months ago

something to think about is that if camera shake moves you off-focus, then recomposing might introduce the same problem. this is much discussed but here's one page:

http://digital-photography-school.com/the-problem-with-the-focus-recompose-method

Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,324Gear list
Like?
recompose fails

frank-in-toronto wrote:

something to think about is that if camera shake moves you off-focus, then recomposing might introduce the same problem. this is much discussed but here's one page:

http://digital-photography-school.com/the-problem-with-the-focus-recompose-method

Not what the OP is discussing but when shooting people with my 85mm f1.8G on DX at F2, when I switched from using single focus, center point and recompose to continuous focus, move focus point and no recompose, my keeper rate exponentially increased. I almost never miss focus now, before it was a crap shoot.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Pandaemas
Like?
Re: recompose fails
In reply to Stacey_K, 7 months ago

I can always move the intended magnification point to where I want it and 1.2 will be used on careful and not rushy photoworks, so is fine.

The OK button works! Thanks man
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads