to sell a Nikon d800 for a d7100??

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Chips Pringle
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
to sell a Nikon d800 for a d7100??
6 months ago

QUESTION - I own a DX d5200 and a FF d800. I have a few lenses for each and I realize I can use the FF lenses on my d5200. I'm considering selling my d800 and replacing it with a d7100, I would just have the two DX bodys. I know with good glass I will still get very good images from these two DX bodys, and I can use the money from selling the d800 to buy more glass, like maybe a f2.8  17-55 DX, or a f2.8 FF f4 70-200 VR lens. I had dreams of becoming a higher level of photographer than what reality is now showing me. I did shoot an outdoor wedding last fall with both my DX and FF bodies, but I could have easily gotten by with two DX bodes and good glass. I will be shooting for fun, shooting birds, nature, doing portraits for small money, smalll and not to expensive types of weddings, family shoots and whatever comes my way that isn't above my ability and knowledge. I did shoot dental office employees and those images made it to his web site, but that too could have been accomplished with DX. So far the things I've shot could have been accomplished with a d7100. I guess I can't justify me having a d800. Do you think I will be fine or regret selling a FF for a DX. This may seem like a STUPID question, but I am serious.

-- hide signature --

Chip

Chips Pringle's gear list:Chips Pringle's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nikonuserinfo
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
Re: to sell a Nikon d800 for a d7100??
In reply to Chips Pringle, 6 months ago

Chips Pringle wrote:

Do you think I will be fine or regret selling a FF for a DX. This may seem like a STUPID question, but I am serious.

In an average of different photographic situations where DR, high iso and other characteristics are involved, D800 with a 125$ second hand lens like 28-105 might give you better IQ than a DX with 1500$ lens.
You can find 80-200 F2.8 used for $400 as well, just like 35-70 F2.8 for $200-300.
Even a new 85mm AF-S F1.8 isn't very expensive, and it's a dream lens .

-- hide signature --

Chip

-- hide signature --

Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info
My former Dpreview profiles ( For which I do not have the Original email address anymore)
Stany Buyle
Photoforfun

nikonuserinfo's gear list:nikonuserinfo's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D200 Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goshigoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?

Why do you need 2 DX bodies?
Why don't you sell your D5200 instead?

bowman
Contributing MemberPosts: 540Gear list
Like?
Re: to sell a Nikon d800 for a d7100?? My friend has done it.
In reply to goshigoo, 6 months ago

My friend had a 7100 and a D800 until yesterday!

He is so impressed with the 7100 for wildlife and landscape that he sold me his D800.

I in turn sold another friend my mint D700, I sincerely hope we have all done what is the best for us, it may be different for you. I do admit to feeling a bit worried about the change as my D700 has been brilliant for five years.

John B

bowman's gear list:bowman's gear list
Nikon D700
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,475Gear list
Like?

In a 20x16 inch print to 1600 ISO it is near impossible to tell the difference between a D7100 and a D800 image without looking at the EXIF data.

Step up to a 30 inch wide print and the D800 wins.

Obviously the D7100 is smaller and lighter than a D800, and if you never print seriously big your D800 has little advantage for you.

I suggest you consider upgrading your current DX body to a D7100 and shoot the D7100 alongside the D800. This is the way I work.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
We all aspire to take great photos but may always achieve this perhaps due to a lack of application, a lack of knowledge, or even a lack of talent.
The best photographers probably work quite hard at their photography.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
MattiH
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 6 months ago

Do not sell the D800.

JWReagan
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?

Only you can know if you need the D800 but it seems like you don't to me. Im thinking about getting the shutter replaced in my D600 and selling it to purchase a D7100. Extreme low light is the only place I see an advantage in full frame, it seems to pull shadow detail better than the crop sensors but the D7100 is such an awesome camera it's hard to resist it.

One thing to consider, it is rumored that we will be getting a D7200 this year. If it's getting the new expeed processor and a new AF module it may very well be worth waiting for.

JWReagan's gear list:JWReagan's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +8 more
Chips Pringle
Like?
In reply to goshigoo, 6 months ago

Why do you need 2 DX bodies?
Why don't you sell your D5200 instead?

I still want two bodies as I want to comtinue to shoot those not to glamorous or expensive types of weddings and have different focal lengths for each.
--
Chip

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Chips Pringle
Like?
In reply to JWReagan, 6 months ago

Only you can know if you need the D800 but it seems like you don't to me. Im thinking about getting the shutter replaced in my D600 and selling it to purchase a D7100. Extreme low light is the only place I see an advantage in full frame, it seems to pull shadow detail better than the crop sensors but the D7100 is such an awesome camera it's hard to resist it.

One thing to consider, it is rumored that we will be getting a D7200 this year. If it's getting the new expeed processor and a new AF module it may very well be worth waiting for.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for your comment. I know that for what I have done and likely will do, a d7100 will be more than just fine. Then again with the d800 money I can get the d7100 AND a lens or two. I'm really thinking seriously about this.
Chip

Chips Pringle
Like?
In reply to MattiH, 6 months ago

Do not sell the D800.

-- hide signature --

Why? For my needs and deeds I feel it's so much more than I can justify, and I could put that money toward glass. Again, I don't feel I'm going to take this passion to where I had hoped to go.
Chip

Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,434
Like?
Re: to sell a Nikon d800 for a d7100?? My friend has done it.
In reply to bowman, 6 months ago

bowman wrote:

My friend had a 7100 and a D800 until yesterday!

He is so impressed with the 7100 for wildlife and landscape that he sold me his D800.

I in turn sold another friend my mint D700, I sincerely hope we have all done what is the best for us, it may be different for you. I do admit to feeling a bit worried about the change as my D700 has been brilliant for five years.

John B

I have both. One for winter (D800 with a 500mmf4) and the other for the rest of the year with a 80-400afs. Mind you I am a bird photographer and light is so different in the UK in the winter . If I could only keep one it would be the D800.

Photec
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?

Chips Pringle wrote:

I had dreams of becoming a higher level of photographer than what reality is now showing me.

Have you given up on your dream?

I did shoot an outdoor wedding last fall with both my DX and FF bodies, but I could have easily gotten by with two DX bodes and good glass.

Are you willing to just get by?

I will be shooting for fun, shooting birds, nature, doing portraits for small money, smalll and not to expensive types of weddings, family shoots and whatever comes my way that isn't above my ability and knowledge.

The photographic technique required to get the most out of the D800 is at a much higher level than it is for lesser cameras. A FF 36MP chip has zero forgiveness for poor technique and does require the best possible glass. I certainly am not knocking the D5200 or the D7100, they are excellent pieces of equipment in the right hands and will do a fine job for many applications. But, it sounds to me like you are not ready and willing to accept the challenges of learning the requirements of using the D800. If that is the case I would recommend that you sell it.

MattiH
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

Well, if you insist. I just thought, that basically D800 is not only a 36mp ff but also a 15mp dx. So in one camera you have both.

If I were you, I'd sell the 5200 + dx - lenses and buy a af-s 24-85 vr and 50mm 1,8...

But you do what you like.

Although I must say that you don't seem to know what you really need. Or don't need.

No hard feelings.

Chips Pringle
Like?
In reply to Photec, 6 months ago

Chips Pringle wrote:

I had dreams of becoming a higher level of photographer than what reality is now showing me.

Have you given up on your dream?

I did shoot an outdoor wedding last fall with both my DX and FF bodies, but I could have easily gotten by with two DX bodes and good glass.

I will be shooting for fun, shooting birds, nature, doing portraits for small money, smalll and not to expensive types of weddings, family shoots and whatever comes my way that isn't above my ability and knowledge.

The photographic technique required to get the most out of the D800 is at a much higher level than it is for lesser cameras. A FF 36MP chip has zero forgiveness for poor technique and does require the best possible glass. I certainly am not knocking the D5200 or the D7100, they are excellent pieces of equipment in the right hands and will do a fine job for many applications. But, it sounds to me like you are not ready and willing to accept the challenges of learning the requirements of using the D800. If that is the case I would recommend that you sell it.

I agree with you my friend. I don't see myself having the time, or putting in the effort to become so good that I can sell my work in shops or online, or ...... I feel that where I will likely settle in this art, the d7100 will serve me well.
--
Chip

Photec
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?

I agree with you my friend. I don't see myself having the time, or putting in the effort to become so good that I can sell my work in shops or online, or ...... I feel that where I will likely settle in this art, the d7100 will serve me well.
--
Chip

Good luck and have fun with it, and enjoy it as a hobby. Buying good glass will definitely bring out the best in the D7100.

mathi_vadhanan
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?

I went FF, because of the rich choices with wide angle lenses.

If you can't justify keeping a D800, go ahead and sell it. I would also sell the 24-70 and get a 17-55 & 70-200 2.8's

mathi_vadhanan's gear list:mathi_vadhanan's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
JWReagan
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photec, 6 months ago

The D7100 will do a hell of a lot more than "get by". There are a few circumstances where one would need a D800 instead of a D7100. Very large prints are one of those situations and in that case using a D800 is probably just "getting by" because the shooter can't afford to go digital medium format. For low light there are better options than the D800. IMO that leaves cropping and again you are just getting by with the D800 because you don't have the focal length you need. If there is a "getting by" camera in the Nikon line up, it's the D800.

JWReagan's gear list:JWReagan's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +8 more
antonoat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,574
Like?

Shoot both cameras at iso 400 and then you will answer your own question.

I own the d800e and d7100, the 7100 is a great camera with excellent detail, but, that

detail falls off sharply as iso gets over iso 200.

I honestly think it is best to keep the 800 and try and get a 7100, if you own just the d7100

you will very quickly learn it's limitations.

This is just my opinion of course!

Kind regards

Tony

antonoat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,574
Like?
Remember.....

The d7100 has much higher pixel density than the D800/800e that brings it's own considerations.

It too requires excellent glass and an accomplished technique to get the very best from it!

Regards

Tony

Chips Pringle
Like?
In reply to mathi_vadhanan, 6 months ago

I went FF, because of the rich choices with wide angle lenses.

If you can't justify keeping a D800, go ahead and sell it. I would also sell the 24-70 and get a 17-55 & 70-200 2.8's

-- hide signature --

sounds like good advice.
Chip

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads