D800 + Nikkor 14-24 2.8

Started 6 months ago | Questions
Growlernz
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
D800 + Nikkor 14-24 2.8
6 months ago

I am looking for some photos taken with this setup if anyone cares to share.

Specifically landscape, architecture and astro/night photography. I am looking to invest in this exact kit and want to make sure it's the correct way to go.

The D800/MP is of importance as I also print these images up to 2400mm wide sometimes bigger.

Thanks to anyone that can share some images, it's appreciated

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,731Gear list
Like?
Just Rent One
In reply to Growlernz, 6 months ago

Looking at other people's photos really doesn't tell you how it will work for you.

If you can, rent one and try it for yourself.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Growlernz
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Just Rent One
In reply to user_name, 6 months ago

Wish it was that simple, but that doesn't happen round here in my neck of the world.

I'm more looking to see detail, DR, noise etc, not worried about the actual content.

lickity split
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 + Nikkor 14-24 2.8

I don't think astro photography and the 14-24 should be used in the same sentence..  But what do I know???   

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
user_name
Like?

Growlernz wrote:

Wish it was that simple, but that doesn't happen round here in my neck of the world.

I'm more looking to see detail, DR, noise etc, not worried about the actual content.

Lloyd Chambers did a review on this lens.

Given the cash outlay it is probably worth buying a subscription to read his observations.  He does some pretty in depth reviews along with critical analysis of pictures taken with the lens.

I own both the D800 and 14-24, butI think you would get more from that review than any pictures I have of that combination.

mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?
In reply to lickity split, 6 months ago

lickity split wrote:

I don't think astro photography and the 14-24 should be used in the same sentence.. But what do I know???

Didn't know NASA is looking for space station screw 

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Howard Podgurski
Forum MemberPosts: 50Gear list
Like?

About a year ago I did a photo shoot for a local coffee shop's Facebook page using this combo.
At there request it was processed in HDR.  If I still have the original RAW files I will post.

Howard Podgurski's gear list:Howard Podgurski's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
mhammon
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
In reply to Howard Podgurski, 6 months ago

Howard,

I use that combo for landscape photos and love it.  The 14-24 is very sharp and compliments the D800's high pixel count very well.  I always use it on a tripod, though, when doing landscapes.  That said, there is no problem using it hand-held.

Here are two images from my summer trip to Yosemite and Bryce Canyon parks.  The first is a night shot with the full moon lighting up Yosemite Falls during Gary Hart's Waterfalls and Moonbows workshop last year.

Enjoy,

Mike

Yosemite Falls By Moonlight

Bryce Canyon Sunset Point at sunrise

mhammon's gear list:mhammon's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Per Baekgaard
Contributing MemberPosts: 898Gear list
Like?

There's one here (and a more in the same gallery, I think):

http://b4net.dk/photos/RejserOgNatur/Soederaasen%20Efteraar%202012/index.html#20121020_PB8_3262.JPG

You can download the full res if you want from the link.

It's probably not the best the lens can do, as I didn't haul a tripod to the location and I only had a brief opportunity to get that shot (the sun disappeared a few minutes later).

But it is shot in a somewhat difficult conditions for any lens, and I think the lens did pretty well (not commenting on the photographer here, just the lens!).

- Per.

Per Baekgaard's gear list:Per Baekgaard's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +15 more
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?

I don't think astro photography and the 14-24 should be used in the same sentence..  But what do I know???   

what?
--
facebook https://www.facebook.com/stevenrphotographs
google + https://plus.google.com/u/0/+StevenRobinsonPhotographer/
flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/steverphotographer/

primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?
In reply to mhammon, 6 months ago

Howard,

I use that combo for landscape photos and love it.  The 14-24 is very sharp and compliments the D800's high pixel count very well.  I always use it on a tripod, though, when doing landscapes.  That said, there is no problem using it hand-held.

Here are two images from my summer trip to Yosemite and Bryce Canyon parks.  The first is a night shot with the full moon lighting up Yosemite Falls during Gary Hart's Waterfalls and Moonbows workshop last year.

Enjoy,

Mike

Yosemite Falls By Moonlight

Bryce Canyon Sunset Point at sunrise

Mike that first shot is really something. Is that 14mm? On my phone here.
--
facebook https://www.facebook.com/stevenrphotographs
google + https://plus.google.com/u/0/+StevenRobinsonPhotographer/
flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/steverphotographer/

j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,158Gear list
Like?

Below is a nightime street shot, done on tripod, with this combo.

I also have some hand--held event shots with this combo, some with on camera flash and some no flash, low light. I'm not sure any of those would be helpful for what you are interested in. But if you want to seem them, let me know.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Matsu
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?
In reply to user_name, 6 months ago

user_name wrote:

Growlernz wrote:

Given the cash outlay it is probably worth buying a subscription to read his observations. He does some pretty in depth reviews along with critical analysis of pictures taken with the lens.

I own both the D800 and 14-24, butI think you would get more from that review than any pictures I have of that combination.

Not asking you to divuldge the details, but what was the overall conclusion regarding image quality and autofocus?

Matsu's gear list:Matsu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
user_name
Like?
In reply to Matsu, 6 months ago

Matsu wrote:

user_name wrote:

Growlernz wrote:

Given the cash outlay it is probably worth buying a subscription to read his observations. He does some pretty in depth reviews along with critical analysis of pictures taken with the lens.

Not asking you to divuldge the details, but what was the overall conclusion regarding image quality and autofocus?

The 14-24mm is unmatched by any other zoom.  However, there are some caveats.

Rearward focus shift is a very real issue with the 14-24mm and needs to be mitigated.  To get maximum sharpness with the 14-24mm you need to use Live View and focus at the aperture you wish to use for the picture.

In comparison, the Zeiss 15mm Distagon lacks the focus shift issues, but at $3000 you pay for that and you are limited to one focal length.

ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?

I can't help with this particular combination here but I LOVE the 14-24 2.8 for what it does.  It is not often that I break it out but it is a must-have when I travel.

While heavily processed in HDR, I took this photo with a D700 and that lens.  For landscape shots like this I like how it distorts the foreground to add some interest leading you into the shot.

mhammon
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
In reply to primeshooter, 6 months ago

Yes, it is. It was really dark and tough to compose, so I took a ton of images and reviewed them on the LCD to make adjustments.

Let me also recommend the 16-35mm f/4, if you want to use filters and VR.  The focal lengths are similar, but the latter offers some more composition choices and it's lighter, I think.

Whatever you decide, I can't recommend Gary Hart highly enough.

Since the OP is interested in astrophotography, here's one I took from The Grotto parking lot in Zion NP last summer.  Very little moon, ISO 800, 19mm, f/2.8, 20 sec.

mhammon's gear list:mhammon's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,238Gear list
Like?

Fantastic lens, nothing like it.

General Toner
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?

First night shot with the 14-24 on D800 along with few landscapes. More 14-24 samples can be found on my flickr stream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/generaltoner/

General Toner's gear list:General Toner's gear list
Nikon D800
Charles Bittinger
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?

You might want to try the astrophotography talk forum also.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads