New camera for club/concert photography

Started 6 months ago | Questions
bfesta
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
New camera for club/concert photography
6 months ago

Hi, I'm a hobbyist shooting on a D90. I want to purchase a new camera, and I take the majority of photo's in small jazz clubs. I guess it comes down to a choice between two cameras, The D7100 and the D800. I skipped the D610 because to me if I'm going to spend the money to go full frame for another $700-800 I might as well go for the D800. Since I am a hobbyist The D7100 has the safety net of the auto setting, though I seldom use auto now....

So any opinions?

thanks

bfesta's gear list:bfesta's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,320Gear list
Like?
Re: New camera for club/concert photography
In reply to bfesta, 6 months ago

D800.

The FX sensor will be more suited to low light, also easier to get a fast wide lens for it too. 20mm will be 20mm.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,536
Like?

Canon 6D.  I only say this because a member here shot with a D600 (or maybe a D610) side by side with a 6D for the same type of photography and chose the 6D.  Do a search for that guy's thread.

Radu Grozescu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,761Gear list
Like?

bfesta wrote:

So any opinions?

Df ?

-- hide signature --

Radu Grozescu

Radu Grozescu's gear list:Radu Grozescu's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
bfesta
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
In reply to starman1969, 6 months ago

D800.

The FX sensor will be more suited to low light, also easier to get a fast wide lens for it too. 20mm will be 20mm.

-- hide signature --

I am leaning toward the D800, but wondering why is the FX more suited for low light?
I currently use a.few FX Lens on my D90 and they perform very well with the DX Sensor, but would like the full frame.
Thanks for your input

bfesta's gear list:bfesta's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,320Gear list
Like?

bfesta wrote:

D800.

-- hide signature --

I am leaning toward the D800, but wondering why is the FX more suited for low light?
I currently use a.few FX Lens on my D90 and they perform very well with the DX Sensor, but would like the full frame.
Thanks for your input

The larger sensor of the full frame body should give maybe a couple of stops advantage over the DX type when using high ISO's.

That said, I'm sure you would find the image quality of the D7100 far superior to the D90's. For that I'd recommmend the D7100. All the money saved would buy you a nice lens to go with it, like a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4. That would be perfectly suited to the D7100.

-- hide signature --

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,507Gear list
Like?
In reply to Radu Grozescu, 6 months ago

Radu Grozescu wrote:

bfesta wrote:

So any opinions?

Df ?

-- hide signature --

Radu Grozescu

I was thinking that too.  Nice sensor and it would look awesome in a jazz club.

Otherwise, D800.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
terraG7
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, 6 months ago

I would never use a SLR in small clubs, too much noise, because of that in fact unusable.

I advise you to buy very good low light camera like a Canon G1X or one of it's successors.

And buy a D800 for everything else.

knightmelodic
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?

If you don't need a new camera, for that $$$, a  used D3. The rest of those cameras aren't even in the conversation.

-- hide signature --

Just keep clicking, something will turn out fantastic.

knightmelodic's gear list:knightmelodic's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads