DF with 24-85 VR?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
LeonardoG
Regular MemberPosts: 404Gear list
Like?
DF with 24-85 VR?
6 months ago

Anyone shot with this combination? Any comments?

-- hide signature --

LenG

LeonardoG's gear list:LeonardoG's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,532Gear list
Like?
Re: DF with 24-85 VR?
In reply to LeonardoG, 6 months ago

Yes! It's the only zoom that I use on my Df - mostly because of size.

I wrote about it here on my blog:

http://inthemistphoto.com/2013/12/08/compact-zoom-for-the-nikon-df/

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eric guzman
Contributing MemberPosts: 637
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, 6 months ago

I see you also have the Sigma 35 1.4 Art, what a great lens, this couples with the Nikon 85 1.4g copvers 90% of my needs with the DF.

Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,491Gear list
Like?
I tried the 24-85 VR (on a D4)

for ONE day and that was all. I really do not like the definition, not even in the center (may have been a lemon). Instead of the VR feature they could have improved optics; nice range.

regards

-- hide signature --

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

Luc de Schepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,087
Like?

I have used it only once so far on the Df (I'm a prime shooter).

See this set on Flickr Df + 24-85mm VR

About the lens, it's ok but no more than that.

LeonardoG
Like?
In reply to Luc de Schepper, 6 months ago

Thanks for all the responses. I have the lens on my D7100 and it seems very sharp. Gave up on primes when I switched from film to DSLR's. When I go hiking on local trails or overseas tours, I absolutely have no interest in changing lenses. At 81 years of age I want small, light, good quality, zoom lenses. No interest in mirror-less with terrible battery life. I am well aware that good quality primes give the best image quality, but am willing to compromise slightly.

-- hide signature --

LenG

Tiger1
Regular MemberPosts: 311Gear list
Like?

LeonardoG wrote:

Thanks for all the responses. I have the lens on my D7100 and it seems very sharp. Gave up on primes when I switched from film to DSLR's. When I go hiking on local trails or overseas tours, I absolutely have no interest in changing lenses. At 81 years of age I want small, light, good quality, zoom lenses. No interest in mirror-less with terrible battery life. I am well aware that good quality primes give the best image quality, but am willing to compromise slightly.

-- hide signature --

LenG

You're a legend LenG!

Don't discount mirror less so quickly.  I have an OMD EM-1 and have three batteries. Good for a full days shooting of over 1000 shots and much lighter to carry around.  You'll love the EVF with the 14x magnification in manual focus for absolutely critical focusing.

Keep on shooting and enjoy!

Tiger1's gear list:Tiger1's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sigma SD14 Sigma SD1 Merrill +8 more
LeonardoG
Like?
In reply to Tiger1, 6 months ago

Tiger1 wrote:

LeonardoG wrote:

-- hide signature --

LenG

You're a legend LenG!

Don't discount mirror less so quickly. I have an OMD EM-1 and have three batteries. Good for a full days shooting of over 1000 shots and much lighter to carry around. You'll love the EVF with the 14x magnification in manual focus for absolutely critical focusing.

Keep on shooting and enjoy!

Thanks for your reply. I have considered the OMD EM1 for some time now. Having shot D600 with 24-120 f/4 VR as well as the 24-85 VR as well as D7100 with both those lenses and loved the files, I think I just would love the DF with it's controls and great low light imaging. Since I never use flash and often shoot at ISO's of 6400 and more, I thought that the DF would be just right for my style of shooting. But oh the price!

-- hide signature --

LenG

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads