Sweet Deal on Olympus 2 year extended warranty

Started Mar 6, 2014 | Discussions
SteveS58 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,775
Sweet Deal on Olympus 2 year extended warranty

Bought a refurb OMD EM-1 a few weeks ago. It only comes wiith a 90 day warranty. I got an e-mail from Olympus this morning that they are running a special on extended warrnaties: regularly $99.00, for a short time $69.00. To my mind, a great deal at $35.00 per year.  I jumped on it!

By the way, just as a general comment, it seems as if lately Olympus is doing a much better job of marketing.  I'm getting regular e-mails on specials and refurbs, etc.  They seem to be intelligently keeping closer contact with customers via the internet.  Their website also seems much sharper.  Anyone else notice this?

http://mail.aol.com/38430-111/aol-6/en-us/Suite.aspx

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,551
Re: Sweet Deal on Olympus 2 year extended warranty

SteveS58 wrote:

Bought a refurb OMD EM-1 a few weeks ago. It only comes wiith a 90 day warranty. I got an e-mail from Olympus this morning that they are running a special on extended warrnaties: regularly $99.00, for a short time $69.00. To my mind, a great deal at $35.00 per year. I jumped on it!

By the way, just as a general comment, it seems as if lately Olympus is doing a much better job of marketing. I'm getting regular e-mails on specials and refurbs, etc. They seem to be intelligently keeping closer contact with customers via the internet. Their website also seems much sharper. Anyone else notice this?

I bought a reconditioned E-M5, and I haven't seen the offer yet.  Perhaps it is for the E-M1 customers only, or perhaps the people who ordered refurbished gear on the Presidents day sale will get the offer in the mail shortly. I hope it is the later.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
PatrickNSF
PatrickNSF Regular Member • Posts: 406

I got an e-mail from Olympus this morning that they are running a special on extended warrnaties: regularly $99.00, for a short time $69.00. To my mind, a great deal at $35.00 per year.

Is there an offer code for this, or did they send you a direct link? It still shows up as $99 on their website. Thanks.

PatrickNSF's gear list:PatrickNSF's gear list
Canon G7 X II Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
OP SteveS58 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,775

use the code thanks30 when you check out

PatrickNSF

Did they indicate how long the promotion will be running?

Offer ends March 28th.

PatrickNSF

SteveS58 wrote:

Offer ends March 28th.

Thanks. Ended up getting the extended warranty for the E-M1 and the 12-40mm. Hoping that my backordered 75mm ships before the promotion ends.

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,159

SteveS58 wrote:

By the way, just as a general comment, it seems as if lately Olympus is doing a much better job of marketing. I'm getting regular e-mails on specials and refurbs, etc. They seem to be intelligently keeping closer contact with customers via the internet. Their website also seems much sharper. Anyone else notice this?

Agree with this. It would seem somebody over there has a pulse, because they're much more active with advertising, direct mail and updating and upgrading the web site.

Shocking, I know.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Michael Meissner
Thanks for the code

SteveS58 wrote:

use the code thanks30 when you check out

I just used the thanks30 code to pick up the warranty, and while I was there picked up a refurbished MMF-3 adapter for $80 (note, Olympus put it into the general accessory category in the outlet store, and not the lens category where you would expect).

So lets see, at the outlet store with the recent President's day sale and Thanks30 coupon I got:

• Reconditioned E-M5 + 12-50mm lens
  • Reconditioned macro converter Mcon-p01
  • Extended 2 year warranty for the camera
  • Reconditioned MMF-3 adapter
  • Total $934.53 ($775.18 + $159.35)

At B&H, pricing it new would be $1,617.90 (i.e. saving $683.37).

Now, it will take me a year to pay it off all of the camera gear I just got.

Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Re: Thanks for the code

Yeah, Olympus store refurbs is dangerous to your wallet:-)

ia1324 New Member • Posts: 2

How often does Olympus run promotions on extended warranties?  I missed this promotion and would like to hopefully catch the next one.  Just signed up for their promotional emails.

Thanks

Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,736

ia1324 wrote:

How often does Olympus run promotions on extended warranties? I missed this promotion and would like to hopefully catch the next one. Just signed up for their promotional emails.

Thanks

I think if you have the 1 year window for a new camera you will be fine to watch for a promo.  On a refurb I would just spend the extra dollars and get the warranty while it is valid.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
Michael Meissner

Ken Gosden wrote:

ia1324 wrote:

How often does Olympus run promotions on extended warranties? I missed this promotion and would like to hopefully catch the next one. Just signed up for their promotional emails.

Thanks

I think if you have the 1 year window for a new camera you will be fine to watch for a promo. On a refurb I would just spend the extra dollars and get the warranty while it is valid.

I just got a promo mail from Olympus America, 20% off of accessories (*) for the E-M5 (which is the camera I got, but perhaps it will work for other cameras). The code is "SPRINGACC".

Here is the fine print:

* Offer excludes battery grips, underwater housings, conversion lenses, Four Thirds/OM/Micro Four Thirds lens adapters, body cap lenses, flashes and lighting, LED light guide, electronic viewfinders and reconditioned products. Offer ends 4/27/14. Available in the US and Canada for orders made directly from Olympus through 11:59:59 EST. See site for additional details and end dates for "Buy lenses with a body and save" offer.

Now, with the exclusions, there isn't much left in the E-M5 accessories, except for the warranties.  The memory cards are cheaper at B&H.  There are the fake leather straps, and the over-priced cases, and the cables/remote (that you can get 3rd party replacements much cheaper).  So if you need the warranty, try using the code.

Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,736

Michael Meissner wrote:

Ken Gosden wrote:

ia1324 wrote:

Thanks

I think if you have the 1 year window for a new camera you will be fine to watch for a promo. On a refurb I would just spend the extra dollars and get the warranty while it is valid.

I just got a promo mail from Olympus America, 20% off of accessories (*) for the E-M5 (which is the camera I got, but perhaps it will work for other cameras). The code is "SPRINGACC".

Here is the fine print:

* Offer excludes battery grips, underwater housings, conversion lenses, Four Thirds/OM/Micro Four Thirds lens adapters, body cap lenses, flashes and lighting, LED light guide, electronic viewfinders and reconditioned products. Offer ends 4/27/14. Available in the US and Canada for orders made directly from Olympus through 11:59:59 EST. See site for additional details and end dates for "Buy lenses with a body and save" offer.

Now, with the exclusions, there isn't much left in the E-M5 accessories, except for the warranties. The memory cards are cheaper at B&H. There are the fake leather straps, and the over-priced cases, and the cables/remote (that you can get 3rd party replacements much cheaper). So if you need the warranty, try using the code.

It should work as I got the exact same code based on my XZ-2 registration.  Strangely I did not get one for my newer E-M1 registration.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner wrote:

Though now it appears the reason for some of the above exclusion is Olympus America is offering separate sales on the FL-600R/FL-300R flashes, the MAL-01 LED light guide, the 15mm body cap lens, plus sales on selected lenses. It ends this Thursday (4/24): Olympus America weekly deal, ending 4/24

Isabel Cutler
Isabel Cutler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,786
Re: Others might want to check their credit card fine print

We get an extra year's manufacturer's warranty with our Visa card, but must produce lots of documentation about the purchase of the item.

I used that benefit a few years ago to have a Canon lens repaired.  Had to send the estimate for the repair (well over $300) to Visa, and they paid up, because I had proof of purchase and proof of cost of repair.

Isabel

Isabel Cutler's gear list:Isabel Cutler's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +1 more
Michael Meissner

Isabel Cutler wrote:

We get an extra year's manufacturer's warranty with our Visa card, but must produce lots of documentation about the purchase of the item.

I used that benefit a few years ago to have a Canon lens repaired. Had to send the estimate for the repair (well over $300) to Visa, and they paid up, because I had proof of purchase and proof of cost of repair.

Obviously you have to buy it with a card that has the warranty protection.

As I've posted before, for cameras I plan to keep awhile, the thing I like about the Olympus America/Canada extended warranty is it includes a free cleaning during the extended warranty period.  In the cameras I've used it on (C-2100UZ, E-1, E-3, E-P2), the camera always came back looking like it was when I bought it.  I generally try to do the warranty cleaning 1-2 months before the warranty runs out.

Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 6,380

Is it worth much on lenses?

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic GX850 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +29 more
Isabel Cutler
Isabel Cutler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,786

Impulses wrote:

Is it worth much on lenses?

Not sure I understand your question, but if you're talking about Visa paying for my lens repair, their payment was well over $300.

Isabel

Isabel Cutler's gear list:Isabel Cutler's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +1 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 6,380

Oh no, sorry, I was asking Michael if the free cleanup/checkup the extended warranty entitles you to would be worth anything on lenses (vs bodies)... I'm looking at the 9-18 and the price (2x that of any of my other three lenses) plus the collapsible design (possibly an additional failure point?) have me wondering about the extended lens warranty ($60).

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic GX850 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads