Have you sold to Adorama?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
2kcougar
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
Have you sold to Adorama?
9 months ago

I sent in a lens hoping that I would receive a decent price. They have the same lens listed on their website for $375 with a condition of "E". They told me that they could sell my lens for $150. So, I would get $105. Is this typical of their service?

2kcougar's gear list:2kcougar's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,514Gear list
Like?
You should sell your own lenses.
In reply to 2kcougar, 9 months ago

2kcougar wrote:

I sent in a lens hoping that I would receive a decent price. They have the same lens listed on their website for $375 with a condition of "E". They told me that they could sell my lens for $150. So, I would get $105. Is this typical of their service?

This is an area where the most reputable dealers get sleazy real quick IMO.

I use Craig's List.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link. Includes 5D3 vs D800E, 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
Re: Have you sold to Adorama?

2kcougar wrote:

If I remember correctly (about 8 years ago), B&H bought a body from me for $300 and the going price for it was $600 to $700. So, yes, the big companies will sell it for at least double what they pay you. Even with 12% fee, you'd do much better on eBay.

Stan

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,199Gear list
Like?
No, but I contacted them and B & H both

Both offered around $2500 for a top condition D3x with all the OEM stuff, which they were selling at the time for around $3500. As an aside, Competitive Camera in Dallas, which is a large very well stocked professional dealer, offered $1900   Don't hold me to the prices, because I'm sure they shift frequently according to market conditions.

I don't think it's a shady deal, it's just that they have set a price point at which they think it's worth their while. Since I don't think it makes it worthwhile for me, I don't sell to them.

I don't think this is much different from selling a used car yourself vs selling to a private individual.

If you don't feel comfortable with eBay it's kinda the only game in town. Personally, I think I'm better off in the long run selling on eBay and recognizing that there are some business risks for the higher payoff.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

PaulV
Contributing MemberPosts: 777
Like?
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, 9 months ago

I have bought and sold many on Craigslist and eBay. I had one really horrible experience selling on eBay but, for the most part, all transactions went well.

If I want to sell to a company and take the financial hit, I'll do KEH.

I bought a used F3 from Adorama in the 90s and it was defective, but I didn't find out until I had run about 20 important rolls of film through the camera. That's the last time I dealt with them aside from getting basic supplies, and I live ten minutes from them.

-- hide signature --

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be lived.

MrPicky
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?

Ive been give a quote over the phone and when they received it they gave me a lot less because it depreciated within a week. All was in like new condition. If you buy something else from them you can negotiate more for your item.

sportmaster
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?

Bestbuy buys used cameras.  They offered $1600 for my D4.

Randy Z
Senior MemberPosts: 2,530
Like?
Try Amazon

I have good luck selling on Amazon.  You can only sell used items that they list new, but you take advantage of their massive audience, and I just price stuff a tiny bit under what others are listing for (you can see them), there's no "auction" or deadlines, and stuff moves fast.  They take a percentage but they give you a bit toward shipping.  You'll do much better than selling thru Adorama.  Amazon deposits your funds in your checking account as soon as you ship.

-- hide signature --

Z-Man

Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212Gear list
Like?

2kcougar wrote:

I have not used Adorama, but B&H has a good setup on their site to estimate the price and you can ship it out free. I have always gotten what their est. is and I plug it back into store credit. I do it with coolpix and I can imagine that they will get a good return. But they make the process quick easy and no after sale hassles. you will never get what you think you should get.

also I feel the brick and morters have a right to up sell to their hearts content. After all they inspect, clean and attach their name to  it. A lot of times they warranty them for a short time as well.

You should not look at what they are selling it for- instead look at what it is selling for on ebay and factor in all the costs and hassle.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
2kcougar
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?

Thank you for your responses. Most of the sold listings on ebay were between 275-340. I was figuring my offer would have been in the lower end of that range. I'll look into amazon. It might net me a higher return.

I won't deal with B&H. Their customer service reps have been rude and nasty when I've called. At least the reps at adorama were willing to answer all of my questions and really took the time to show me what I wanted the last time I was there.

sportmaster: I'll buy your D4 for $1600 I can't even believe they would think that was an appropriate price.

For those of you that have used Amazon, did you use the fulfillment by Amazon offer?

Thanks again!

2kcougar's gear list:2kcougar's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Randy Z
Senior MemberPosts: 2,530
Like?
Re: fullfillment by amz

I think the fullfillment by amazon is for selling multiple quantities, and involves them holding the items and shipping them.  I'm sure that would add to your expenses.

I just created an account and list my items one by one.  I've sold at least a hundred things, but again, it has to be an exact item that they already carry.

-- hide signature --

Z-Man

henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,889Gear list
Like?

2kcougar wrote:

I won't deal with B&H. Their customer service reps have been rude and nasty when I've called.

I am very sorry you feel this way and apologize for any rudeness.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,339Gear list
Like?

2kcougar wrote:

Thank you for your responses. Most of the sold listings on ebay were between 275-340. I was figuring my offer would have been in the lower end of that range. I'll look into amazon. It might net me a higher return.

I won't deal with B&H. Their customer service reps have been rude and nasty when I've called. At least the reps at adorama were willing to answer all of my questions and really took the time to show me what I wanted the last time I was there.

sportmaster: I'll buy your D4 for $1600 I can't even believe they would think that was an appropriate price.

For those of you that have used Amazon, did you use the fulfillment by Amazon offer?

Thanks again!

Rude and nasty? B&H?

I've dealt with them for decades and have never experienced anything but excellent service and polite treatment. I'm certain that they train their staff this way. If you really have a gripe, just call them and speak to customer service. They actually listen to their customers.

I've gotten much better prices for my used equipment from B&H compared to Adorama or KEH. However, KEH does have good  prices on used photo equipment that they sell.

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,199Gear list
Like?
favorite B & H story
In reply to henryp, 9 months ago

henryp wrote:

2kcougar wrote:

I won't deal with B&H. Their customer service reps have been rude and nasty when I've called.

I am very sorry you feel this way and apologize for any rudeness.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

I have a favorite B & H story.  The very first time I had purchased anything from them.

I got a new Nikon 28-70 f2.8 and it was stiff and scratchy out of the box.  I just knew I was going to have a problem getting the issue resolved and was already about half mad when I called the store.

As I was telling my story to the representative I could hear him typing in the background.  I mistakenly interpreted this to mean he was doing something else and not really listening.

On finishing my story, the representative informed me that he had just shipped a new lens to me and when it arrived I was to take the defective one, put it back in the box, and use the enclosed prepaid shipping label to return it to B & H.  He sent it second day air.

Since that day I have been a steady B & H customer.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 471Gear list
Like?

2kcougar wrote:

Yes, that was my experience.  In fact they promised a certain amount if in a certain condition and they came in 30% under that after I sent it in.  I was quite annoyed and won't do business with them again.  Pure bait and switch maneuver.  I was even going to make a considerably-sized purchase from them in the same transaction but they pulled their shenanigans.  Stick with BH is my recommendation.  They are straightforward even if you don't like what they tell you.

-David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
ChapelThrill23
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?

No but I have purchased from them before and had issues on a couple of occasions. A quick bit of Googling of some of the reseller feedback sites will reveal a lot of issues with Adoroma and suspect practices. I won't use them any more. Instead my typical store is B and H. I've never had a problem with them. So far as selling lenses, I've had good luck doing it through camera forums before and on Craigslist. KEH has also been solid for me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads