Panasonic GX7 with Oly 45mm prime

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Pete2
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Panasonic GX7 with Oly 45mm prime
6 months ago

I just bought a Olympus 45mm lens for my GX7. I also have 20mm and a 14-140mm zoom which are both Panasonic. The Panasonic lenses fit just perfectly to GX7 with no effort at all and you get a feeling of high quality. When I put my new Olympus lens the fit is much tighter and it doesn't slide as nicely to lock position (you get a feeling that it should need some oil. Of course I don't put any). Is this normal for Olympus lenses?

Pete2's gear list:Pete2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GX7 with Oly 45mm prime
In reply to Pete2, 6 months ago

Not all Olympus lenses, but the 45mm is a tight lens across the board.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ultbruin
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?

Pete2 wrote:

I just bought a Olympus 45mm lens for my GX7. I also have 20mm and a 14-140mm zoom which are both Panasonic. The Panasonic lenses fit just perfectly to GX7 with no effort at all and you get a feeling of high quality. When I put my new Olympus lens the fit is much tighter and it doesn't slide as nicely to lock position (you get a feeling that it should need some oil. Of course I don't put any). Is this normal for Olympus lenses?

Hi Pete,

You got the exact same camera and lens that I picked.  Just received my 45mm as well.  It is definitely more snug than the Panasonic lens.  Seems like the norm.

-- hide signature --
 Ultbruin's gear list:Ultbruin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,027
Like?

Pete2 wrote:

My 45 is fine on the GX7 no different in that regard to Oly 14-42 kit lens or 12 f2 Oly or Pana 20.

brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 870Gear list
Like?

I've never noticed this before.  I just tried both my 20mm and my Oly 45. The latter did give a bit more resistance when mounting, but nothing that seems abnormal to me.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +8 more
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?
In reply to brentbrent, 6 months ago

I have both Olympus 17 f/1.8 and the 45 f/1.8 on the GX7, no problem...

I did have a problem with Olympus 12 f/2 when I had that lens and the EM5... very tight... so I guess individual copies may vary....

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list:Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?
In reply to brentbrent, 6 months ago

brentbrent wrote:

I've never noticed this before. I just tried both my 20mm and my Oly 45. The latter did give a bit more resistance when mounting, but nothing that seems abnormal to me.

-- hide signature --

Brent

For me it was noticeable on the 45mm straight out of the box when compared to the kit 14-42 II... Can't say I've noticed it over time vs the 20mm or the 12-32mm though.

My 20mm bumps ever so slightly against the tripod-mount strap I have on my camera anyway, so if anything it feels the tightest cause it's back edge rubs slightly as I turn it on the mount. The 12-32mm is so tiny there's just less to grab on so it probably feels tighter than it is too...

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
Lawrence W
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?

I find the smaller grip on 45mm makes it difficult to rotate. Other than that, a beautiful lightweight lens.

Lawrence W's gear list:Lawrence W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Nikon D7100 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads