Where to get a tripod collar for Pany 100-300 lens

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
billbourd
Regular MemberPosts: 473Gear list
Like?
Where to get a tripod collar for Pany 100-300 lens
7 months ago

As a followup to my question on where to find a tripod collar for my Pany 100-300 lens which I stupidly posted on the Oly SLR forum -

Reposting on the correct forum should it be of interest to anyone with this lens.

I ordered one from Roesch Feinmechanik in Germany on 2/19 for $105.00 [all fees incl]. They were out of stock at the time and it was then shipped on 2/28 and arrived in the NY depot [ISC NEW York NY USPS] on 3/3 where it currently sits I assume waiting for customs clearance. Will advise when received along with my thoughts on the product, which I expect to be high.

billbourd's gear list:billbourd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: Where to get a tripod collar for Pany 100-300 lens
In reply to billbourd, 7 months ago

Tripod Collar for Panasonic 100-300mm lens

Search this forum for "Rosch", "Roesch" and/or "Rösch" to learn more. A number of people here have ordered this collar, and all reports I have seen agree that it is very well made.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
billbourd
Like?

Here is the link to their website -

http://www.roesch-feinmechanik.de/29701.html

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?

"billbourd wrote:

Here is the link to their website -

Indeed. I included this link in my initial reply to you, where I linked the words "Tripod Collar for Panasonic 100-300mm lens" to the exact same URL you shared above (as I have done again in this post).

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Jim T
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,233Gear list
Like?
Why would I need a tripod collar for Pany 100-300 lens?
In reply to texinwien, 7 months ago

Just wondering why I would want a tripod collar?

Jim T's gear list:Jim T's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +11 more
BBbuilder467
Contributing MemberPosts: 593
Like?
Re: Why would I need a tripod collar for Pany 100-300 lens?
In reply to Jim T, 7 months ago

Jim T wrote:

Having a a tripod collar or mount makes it nicer to balance the lens/body, especially if you're dealing with subjects in motion or wildlife that you might have to track.

With these tiny bodies, it also makes it a little safer with the heavy weight of the lens supported by the smallish lens mount and the very narrow tripod mount area.

It's a good idea with a monopod too.

When hand-held, you always are supporting the lens with your hands.

Brian D. Schneider
Forum ProPosts: 16,139
Like?
In reply to Jim T, 7 months ago

Jim T wrote:

Why would you not want one?

BBuilder gave the same reasons so I won't repeat them except to say, after using one I would not want that sort of lens without a collar. Panasonic should include one with the lens.

I also have one for my 35-100.

Mike Raub
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
In reply to Brian D. Schneider, 7 months ago

Does anyone have the link to the ordering page, with price and shipping information?

Brian D. Schneider
Forum ProPosts: 16,139
Like?
In reply to Mike Raub, 7 months ago

Mike Raub wrote:

Does anyone have the link to the ordering page, with price and shipping information?

You have to e-mail the company and they will e-mail you the ordering details.

There is no actual order page

hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,260
Like?
Next shipment is 20 March

I just missed out on their last shipment, by one day

Next shipment is 20 March - does anybody have experience with how long it takes to ship down here to NZ (or Aus)?

-- hide signature --
lattesweden
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
Re: Next shipment is 20 March
In reply to hindesite, 7 months ago

I got that collar, it is nice but expensive as it is made in small quantities in a non massproduction way.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
I'm from Sweden, but my pictures are in all languages: http://500px.com/anderslattermann

Linda F
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Re: O/T but anyone using a bag for G6 plus lens plus collar?

Please is anyone using a small drop in type bag small enough to take a body plus this lens plus collar only? I want as small a bag as possible, I have other bags for more kit etc.

Thanks, Linda

Tom B.
Contributing MemberPosts: 731Gear list
Like?
In reply to Linda F, 7 months ago

Linda F wrote:

Please is anyone using a small drop in type bag small enough to take a body plus this lens plus collar only? I want as small a bag as possible, I have other bags for more kit etc.

Thanks, Linda

Linda- I like to use this one, Lowepro Event Messenger 100. I currently have the 100-300 with collar in it. I also have the 150 Messenger for times when I want to take more lenses.

Lowepro Event Messenger 100

-- hide signature --

Tom

Tom B.'s gear list:Tom B.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,413
Like?
Re: Next shipment is 20 March
In reply to hindesite, 7 months ago

I am also waiting for the next production batch.  From previous threads it sounds like the usual shipping time is 2 - 4 weeks with how long it sits in customs being the biggest variable.

billbourd
Like?
Received today the tripod collar

As noted I received the collar this morning. It is a very well designed, machined and finished device and to my mind well worth the $105 cost [75 euro]. Excellent directions on mounting which are really not needed. The only thing you could possibly lose would be the screws which hold the base to the collar, so they provided an extra two.

To give you a time frame of delivery: 2/17 E-Mail to them requesting info 2/17 Rcvd info & notice of backorder of a few days 2/28 Collar shipped and received e-mail invoice 3/3 Arrived NY customs 3/7 Received registered mail USPS

To the question of why is it needed I would like to add to the already answered "balance" the ability to quickly turn the camera to portrait mode.

Thanks to Texinwien for pointing me to this.

Linda F
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
In reply to Tom B., 7 months ago

Tom,

Thanks for the link, it may be a little larger than I wanted, but I'll see if I can get a look at one.

Linda

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads