New Canon Pixma iP8750, are ICC profiles possible as on Pro 100?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
pgerrish
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
New Canon Pixma iP8750, are ICC profiles possible as on Pro 100?
9 months ago

Recently went to UK NEC photo show purchase a Canon Pro 100 but was shown on Canon stand the new Pixma iP8750  which seemed to me my needs a bit more and is about 2/3 running costs. The print quality for A3 looked good but on Canon paper. My use will be as enthusiast (Olympus OM-D EM5 using Lightroom software on 2013 iMac) with currently small number of prints per month for personal use andI already have old Epsom A-1 CX6400.

I have never used ICC profiles (from my reading it is obviously quite a complex subject)  this seemed to be something I should move to to get upgrade on current set up. I was attracted to the Pro 100 because it seemed to have ICC profiles for wide range of non Canon papers but the iP8750 does not have any reference to ICC profiles at all.

Queries:

1. Any views or experience of iP8750?
  2. Is it likely that Canon will produce ICC profiles for iP8750 in time or will I be stuck with using the Printer Driver and Canon papers and effectively that means will be dependant on printer for colour matching.
  3. Are paper manufacturers likely to produce ICC profiles for iP8750?
  4. As my need to A3 would be rare should I look to just improving my current CX6400 for simple output and use online lab for specific special prints. Is it feasible to change Lightroom to control the color  (rather than printer driver) even though CX6400 is old printer and perhaps using some generic ICC profile in Lightroom to offer better matching.

For others I found this article  helpful but sure there are many others.

Thanks

Paul

Ricoh CX6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,609
Like?
Re: New Canon Pixma iP8750, are ICC profiles possible as on Pro 100?
In reply to pgerrish, 9 months ago

pgerrish wrote:

Recently went to UK NEC photo show purchase a Canon Pro 100 but was shown on Canon stand the new Pixma iP8750 which seemed to me my needs a bit more and is about 2/3 running costs. The print quality for A3 looked good but on Canon paper. My use will be as enthusiast (Olympus OM-D EM5 using Lightroom software on 2013 iMac) with currently small number of prints per month for personal use andI already have old Epsom A-1 CX6400.

I have never used ICC profiles (from my reading it is obviously quite a complex subject) this seemed to be something I should move to to get upgrade on current set up. I was attracted to the Pro 100 because it seemed to have ICC profiles for wide range of non Canon papers but the iP8750 does not have any reference to ICC profiles at all.

It's not that difficult to learn. Though you at least need a way to calibrate your monitor to a know standard ( not the factory setting which is OFF and incorrect fro editing )

This will require a hardware based calibrator. There are many choices.

However the PRO-100 driver has only CANON paper ICCs. Though if you are referring to 3rd party paper manufactures providing ICC profiles for this iP8750, you may be correct.

You can get PRO-100 ICC for just about any well known 3rd party paper.

Queries:

2. Is it likely that Canon will produce ICC profiles for iP8750 in time or will I be stuck with using the Printer Driver and Canon papers and effectively that means will be dependant on printer for colour matching.

Canon will NEVER produce ICC profiles for any except their own papers.

1. Are paper manufacturers likely to produce ICC profiles for iP8750?

No idea! It all depends on the demand. Get a X-Rite ColorMunki Photo and easily create your own.

1. As my need to A3 would be rare should I look to just improving my current CX6400 for simple output and use online lab for specific special prints. Is it feasible to change Lightroom to control the color (rather than printer driver) even though CX6400 is old printer and perhaps using some generic ICC profile in Lightroom to offer better matching.

You never know until you try but this printer does not compare to the PRO-100 or any CANON iPF printer. Apples and Oranges.

For others I found this article helpful but sure there are many others.

Thanks

Paul

-- hide signature --

My main printers ( there are more though )
2200/CX-7400/R-1900/R-2000/R-2400/R-2880/PRO-3800/R-340/R-380/SP-1400/Artisan- 725/Canon-Pro-9000MKII/Canon-PRO-9500 MKII / PRO-100
MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Johan Borg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003
Like?

pgerrish wrote:

I bought mine yesterday, gambling a bit since there isn't much of a review available yet. I also considered the Pro-100 and the IP8750 seems to fit my use case slightly better with the pigment ink for home office use combined with regular ChromaLife100+ for photo (same as Pro-100 but fewer inks). I also saved some money (you might not, depending on where you live) and the (original) ink cost is very similar per ml.

I bought the printer with the intention of mostly sticking to Canon papers since my printing volume isn't going to be that significant anyway. It's just for my personal use after all.

First impression is good, but I have only done a few small test prints on Pro Platinum paper, no A3+ yet. Out of the box the rendering seems a pretty close match to that on my Macbook Pro Retina, assuming the photos are viewed under natural/white light. I'm actually impressed how easy it was to obtain good results, although you will want to verify the print options and make sure none have defaulted back to wrong value (High quality didn't stick?).

B&W looks good and neutral to my untrained eyes, but without comparing directly it's hard to say whether the smaller ink drops of the IP8750 make up for the second gray ink of the Pro-100.

The Pro-100 is supposed to be very quiet, but the IP8750 isn't exactly noisy either. You'll need about the same desk space for the two printers, but the IP8750 is and feels a bit smaller regardless.

So far, so good

PS
This printer also goes by the name IP8720 and IP8740 and possibly other 87xx depending on the market, so worth searching those names as well for information.

pgerrish
Like?
In reply to Johan Borg, 9 months ago

JT- thanks for comments in genral about the profiles.

Johan- Your brief initial impressions are extremely helpful as have not found any other real reviews and it seems that your situation and usage will be similar to mine and reassuring to get some initial feedback. Looking in UK certainly the running costs look considerably cheaper than Pro 100 and this may encourage me to experiment a bit more. Accept what you say about about restricted  paper limitations and too early top say if there will be third party support.

Thanks for both replies.

Paul

Johan Borg
Like?

Quick update:

After some more time with the printer I’m still happy with the choice of iP8750. A3+ borderless on Canon’s Pro Platinum looks at least as good as anything I’ve received from a lab before, with the added benefit of my own careful handling of the paper (yes, they can scratch).

I’ve also had the chance to try out B&W text on plain paper, where the Standard quality setting printed surprisingly fast and with pretty good results. I’m not sure I’ll ever use Fine quality for text printing again although the difference is visible (darker rendering, slightly heavier font appearance), it is also much slower.

Marucha07
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?

Thank you very much for your input, Johan

I have too bought that printer some days ago and similar to you, it was a gambling decision, because there still are virtually no reviews of the machine...

Could you be more specific as to the ink-types you are using? Are those only original Canon?

Or are you using / intending to use some third-party ones?

What is your opinion about third-party-inks?

I've ordered a full refill-set from Octopus here in Germany and am going to give it a try this weekend.

Marucha07's gear list:Marucha07's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +1 more
Johan Borg
Like?
In reply to Marucha07, 9 months ago

Congratulations with your new printer! While the original ink for the iP8750 isn't the cheapest, it is widely available thanks to use in other Canon printers. There's even a shop selling that ink in the building where I live, even if they don't carry the printer itself.

So, yes, for my limited use and to keep things simple I intend to stay with Canon ink.

Dash29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047
Like?

City Express  inks in the UK have informed me that a continuous ink system for the IP8750 is being developed as we speak

pgerrish
Like?
In reply to Dash29, 9 months ago

Thanks. In end purchased the MG7150 but similar printing system as the iP8750 albeit A4 so will wait and see what is produced.

TheManfromMars
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to pgerrish, 8 months ago

I just bought a Pixma iP8750 which I want to use for hard proofing. Can anyone advise which paper type is best for this purpose. I've tried Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss and the ink simulation seems to fairly accurate, but the paper is far too whitened compared to standard commercial press coated stock which is what I want to simulate.

minhngoc233
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?

may in canon product is still the perfect choice

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,494
Like?
In reply to TheManfromMars, 8 months ago

TheManfromMars wrote:

I just bought a Pixma iP8750 which I want to use for hard proofing. Can anyone advise which paper type is best for this purpose. I've tried Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss and the ink simulation seems to fairly accurate, but the paper is far too whitened compared to standard commercial press coated stock which is what I want to simulate.

Most proofing paper is only available in rolls, and that is true of Canon’s 200 g/m² and 270 g/m² proofing paper. I think the same is also true of Innova, Fujifilm, and Pictorico/Mitsubishi.

Epson does have a proofing paper in sheets, but I think only in 13” x 19”. You could cut them down into smaller sheets, but you would need to get a custom ICC profile made if you really want to use it for proofing.

And I don't know of its availability on Mars.

Brian A

l_d_allan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, 8 months ago

jtoolman wrote:
You never know until you try but this printer does not compare to the PRO-100 or any CANON iPF printer. Apples and Oranges.

It may or may not matter to you, but this printer would appear to be unsuitable for ink refilling, especially compared to the refiller-friendly Pro-100.

• small ink capacity (probably 9ml compared to 13ml for the Pro-100)
  • completely opaque shell makes refilling more difficult
  • may or may not be cartridge resetters for CLI-551 carts (similar to CLI-251 in USA)

If you watch Canon's website, you can occasionally come across "buy one, get two free" sales on Canon paper. If you concurrently register your printer, you can get 50% off that, so it becomes "buy one, get five free". This lowers the cost per letter size sheet from 70¢ to about 12¢ in the USA. I don't know if that applies outside the USA.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/buy-one-get-four-free-when-you-buy-select-canon-photo-paper?cm_sp=SP-_-PRT-_-Text_BFbuy1get4&WT.mc_id=C126149

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
Jim Hess
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,829
Like?

It doesn't appear that Canon provides profiles for that printer. And if Canon doesn't provide profiles then it's unlikely that the driver will allow you to select profiles. It's also doubtful that any third-party paper providers would provide ICC profiles either. Just ensure that you have your monitor matching your printer output, and then follow the instructions with the printer.

l_d_allan
Like?
In reply to Jim Hess, 8 months ago

Jim Hess wrote:

It doesn't appear that Canon provides profiles for that printer.

That would surprise me. I've installed perhaps a dozen Canon printers, and the installation always resulted in plenty of generic profiles being installed. Typically, there will be a profile for each Media Type, and separate profiles for High-Quality (uni-directional / slow) and Standard (bi-directional / fast) for each Media Type ... perhaps 12 to 20+ generic profiles total per printer model.

Custom printer profiles are an issue when you use other than oem ink and/or other than oem paper. Red-River might have printer profiles for their paper for this printer, at least eventually.

And if Canon doesn't provide profiles then it's unlikely that the driver will allow you to select profiles. It's also doubtful that any third-party paper providers would provide ICC profiles either. Just ensure that you have your monitor matching your printer output, and then follow the instructions with the printer.

Profile selection happens with the post processing software, such as Photoshop, LightRoom, PSE, DPP, etc. Again, I have trouble conceiving of a situation where a modern, semi-premium printer like the A3+ iP8750 wouldn't support printer profiles.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
Jim Hess
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,829
Like?
In reply to l_d_allan, 8 months ago

Okay, so I didn't do a thorough search. I looked on the product page on the Canon website and there were none listed like there are for the Pixma Pro-100. I googled and apparently there are some available in the UK. But since I'm not interested, and really don't care, others can Google as well and find the links. The one I looked at said there were profiles for the ink for that printer. That's all I know, and that's all I'm going to find out.

l_d_allan
Like?
In reply to Jim Hess, 8 months ago

Jim Hess wrote:
apparently there are some available in the UK.

My impression is that with the CLI-8 generation and before, Canon had "universal" cartridges, print-heads, and printers. Starting with the CLI-221 generation, there was a corresponding CLI-521 generation in other parts of the world outside USA. Same for CLI-226 vs CLI-526, and CLI-251 vs CLI-551.

It carries over to incompatible chips and print-heads. I'm unclear why Canon does that. Confusing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads