Bride and Attendants

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Sergeg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?
Bride and Attendants
7 months ago

Some post work done in Tiffen Dfx V3

A grab shot while a guest at mate's wedding.

Sergeg's gear list:Sergeg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D800 Pentax K-30 Canon EOS 650D +2 more
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,805Gear list
Like?
Re: Bride and Attendants
In reply to Sergeg, 7 months ago

Nice picture; I like the poses of the attendants and expression on the bride's face. But the post-processing is too much; it looks like they've been green-screened onto another backdrop or something.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rick_Hunter
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?

Pink Hummer limo. Jeese. What a bad taste.

Rick_Hunter's gear list:Rick_Hunter's gear list
Nikon D3S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Sergeg
Like?
In reply to paulski66, 7 months ago

Thanks, that's exactly the desired effect, I wanted to get rid of the distracting background.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D800 Pentax K-30 Canon EOS 650D +2 more
Sergeg
Like?
In reply to Rick_Hunter, 7 months ago
Charles Bittinger
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

I like the poses, the artistic haze and the picture in general. Well done

-- hide signature --

Charlie

TomC601
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,050
Like?
I like it too.
In reply to Charles Bittinger, 7 months ago
-- hide signature --

Regards,
Tom

VicC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,326Gear list
Like?

Nice picture, but bluring the background not very well done as you have gone over some of the outlines in the foreground. Try putting the original in "Retouching" and see what can be done. Vic

Charles Bittinger
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to VicC, 7 months ago

In this case its the overall blurring that gives this image the mystic quality I like so much. I know that's not everybody's cup of tea though.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,657Gear list
Like?

Sergeg wrote:

Thanks, that's exactly the desired effect, I wanted to get rid of the distracting background.

Yea, I hear you, but he's right, it's too much. Here's why: by doing it so much, you're drawing more attention to the post processing and background than the bride and attendants. No one thinks that cars and a street are all that weird or out of place, but blurry and over processed cars and street look very different from what we normally see and therefore stand out and draw attention away from your primary subject(s). Not only that, it's spilling over onto the ladies as well.

In short, it looks like you dripped water all over the page. Not a good look. A little could be nice, but this is over the top. I think you need to dial this back a good bit and place it farther away from the ladies.

Anyone who says they like this treatment is really responding to the general idea of soft focus which is always welcomed in wedding work. However, I think the proper application of this will be even more well received. It has to be carefully applied to enhance the overall image instead of taking it over.

And one more point - a bit difficult to change at this point, but certainly worth keeping in mind in the future - it's generally not a good idea to have people's heads right in front of trees and other vertical items. It's not as bad here as I've seen, but the negative aspect is still noticeable.

Sergeg
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 7 months ago

Thanks for your considered response, your are entitled to your views just as all the other respondents.

Sergeg
Like?

Charles Bittinger wrote:

In this case its the overall blurring that gives this image the mystic quality I like so much. I know that's not everybody's cup of tea though.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

It's always a very subjective thing, I wanted the fantasy feeling of the moment, so glad we agree.

Sergeg
Like?
In reply to VicC, 7 months ago

VicC wrote:

Nice picture, but bluring the background not very well done as you have gone over some of the outlines in the foreground. Try putting the original in "Retouching" and see what can be done. Vic

I agree, it was a freebie and a quickie, not a good philosophy, I know, was just plain lazy on this occasion. They had relies going back overseas, and I wanted to show them, poor excuse.

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,494Gear list
Like?

That purple Hummer was the first thing that attracted my eyes.  Rule of thirds applies.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Matsu
Contributing MemberPosts: 837Gear list
Like?
Redonkulous post processing

Just another way Instagram is ruining the photographic tastes of a whole generation. The awful part is that somewhere there's a bride to be who thinks that's a good photo.

Matsu's gear list:Matsu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
stevo23
Like?

Sergeg wrote:

Thanks for your considered response, your are entitled to your views just as all the other respondents.

Meaning you disagree, yes?

Sergeg
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 7 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Sergeg wrote:

Meaning I ignore, your 1 uploaded photo amongst 2000 self opinionated rants says it all.

stevo23
Like?

Sergeg wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Sergeg wrote:

Meaning I ignore, your 1 uploaded photo amongst 2000 self opinionated rants says it all.

Seriously? I was trying to understand your response. What exactly did I say that brings such a response? I was offering kind and honest critique. If you just wanted the mutual admiration society, I think you've already got that.

And for the record Mr. childish hothead - I've entered quite a few challenges, try looking there instead of the gallery. I've long since removed the full res versions, but you can still see most of what I've posted over the years. Quite a bit of stuff is missing though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads