Early color photography in the 1900’s

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880Gear list
Like?
Early color photography in the 1900’s
9 months ago

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2572671/Photos-vault-Amazing-colour-images-pre-revolutionary-Russia.html

An interesting article on early color photography

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +19 more
Dariousz
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Re: Early color photography in the 1900’s
In reply to Ian Stuart Forsyth, 9 months ago

Not sure whether the article itself is interesting, but the photography is simply amazing. Scans are so great, that while watching them photographs, I just felt like I was travelling back in time to those places. Shocking! Thanks for sharing this link

Dariousz's gear list:Dariousz's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Beverlin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328
Like?

Very interesting link.  Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

JRB

Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,517
Like?

Thanks for posting.

Is there any site that explains the technique more completely?

Joe

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 9 months ago

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Thanks for posting.

Joe

No I have not found any more details on how he done the 3 exposures with separate color filters, It would be interesting to see how this was done and also in the darkroom

-- hide signature --

The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +19 more
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,817Gear list
Like?

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Thanks for posting.

Joe

No I have not found any more details on how he done the 3 exposures with separate color filters, It would be interesting to see how this was done and also in the darkroom

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dellaert/aligned/

-- hide signature --

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,517
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 9 months ago

awaldram wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Thanks for posting.

Joe

I meant, how it was done originally? There was a reference to a viewing filter. What was this?

Joe

GossCTP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,142
Like?
How it was used

Joseph Tainter wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Thanks for posting.

Joe

I meant, how it was done originally? There was a reference to a viewing filter. What was this?

Joe

Somebody posted images from this photographer a few years ago, though these images are different from the ones I saw back then. Probably more have been digitized. There was no darkroom process for color back then, as there was no color film to print on. The images were meant to be projected on top of each other on a screen with a converging projector that had the color filters in it. If I recall correctly, the point of the commissioned works was to be shown across the country - possibly to school children. Nobody really looked at the prints again until digital came about. I think there was a lot of volunteer work in photoshop that resulted in this treasure trove of pre WWI photos coming to light.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

Rosember
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588Gear list
Like?

Joe, thanks for the link. I remember a movie about the the last German Kaiser Wilhelm II. called "Majestät brauchen Sonne" ("His Majesty needs sun." - Link for infos: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205245/) which includes a few sequences of color movie filmed with a similar technique. They used three cameras positioned very close to each other, each camera shooting through one of three primary color filters. The quality is breathtaking. My first thought under the impression of the color sequences was very stupid but might transport how shocking the effect was: "OMG, those people did not live in b/w, they were as real and colored as we are."

Rosember's gear list:Rosember's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads