A7r FE24-70 C&C

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,087Gear list
Like?
A7r FE24-70 C&C
6 months ago

I'm having a hard time deciding which of these to post on my web site.  If you like any of these 3 images, which one do you think is best?  Thanks in advance for any C&C:

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul
http://PixelsByPaul.500px.COM
"There's a good picture nearby. Find it. Take it. Share it."

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KBKB
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Re: A7r FE24-70 C&C
In reply to Paul Richman, 6 months ago

I like the first one the best.  I find the fence to be a more interesting foreground element than the ditch in the second and third photos.  In the second, I find the ditch to be really distracting; it just leads me off the edge of the photo.  I suppose the same might be said for the fence, but I don't find it so.

I also like the clouds in the first (and second) photos.  I think the tree at the right (in both the 1st and 2nd photos) helps to balance things out too.

KBKB's gear list:KBKB's gear list
Sony RX100 II RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jacimi
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?

Paul Richman wrote:

I'm having a hard time deciding which of these to post on my web site. If you like any of these 3 images, which one do you think is best? Thanks in advance for any C&C:

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

I like the first one best, seems better balanced with the fence in the foreground, I also like the ice on the fence and the additional detail in the foreground.  Fence leads the eyes to the barn in the background. Very nice.

Jacimi's gear list:Jacimi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
maxuci
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
definitely first (nt)
No text.
LeicaBOSS
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?

I will have to agree that the first is strongest. The fence provides a strong geometric diagonal that the creek just doesn't seem to accomplish.

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

LeicaBOSS's gear list:LeicaBOSS's gear list
Leica M9 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +17 more
noel58
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
Re: definitely first (nt)
In reply to maxuci, 6 months ago

Agree.

ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,450Gear list
Like?
No text.
 ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +3 more
Bob Pierce
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

I like #1 the best; the fence seems to keep the eye circling the farmhouse.

-- hide signature --

Bob Pierce

Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 904Gear list
Like?
The one with the fence...(nt)
No text.
 Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +12 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,624Gear list
Like?

Paul Richman wrote:

I'm having a hard time deciding which of these to post on my web site. If you like any of these 3 images, which one do you think is best? Thanks in advance for any C&C:

Paul - nice round about way to show us how well this lens is doing for you. I like them all, but if I have to choose, I want to see more of the water on the left, so I'm sort of torn between 2 and 3.

Paul Richman
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 6 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Paul - nice round about way to show us how well this lens is doing for you. I like them all, but if I have to choose, I want to see more of the water on the left, so I'm sort of torn between 2 and 3.

You noticed! Yes, I've grown fond of this lens. I shoot it mostly at F11, and then use InFocus to defeat much of the effects of diffraction. Central areas are extremely sharp at all FL, even 24 and 70.  I now also have a Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90 mm F/2.8-4.5 ASPH ROM Lens for midrange use.

I did also want feedback on these shots. I had preferred #3 as it gives a bigger view of the main subject, but was also torn by liking the ice covered fence in #1. I shot these this morning just after sunrise. The snow was all gone by noon.

Thanks for your feedback and insight!

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
kartikjayaraman
Contributing MemberPosts: 536Gear list
Like?

Nice captures Paul, I like #2 as the composition is the most pleasing to my eyes.

-- hide signature --
 kartikjayaraman's gear list:kartikjayaraman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?

Awesome you posted the full resolution shots! The quality IMO is really, really, really good. The level of detail throughout the frame on all 3 is absolutely astonishing. It makes me want this really badly.

However, it just costs too much, so I'm going to have to settle on the upcoming A6000. I'm not rushing into it either and might stick with my A3000 for a bit.

That lens must be one helluva lens though! For it to resolve THAT kind of detail (even though it's FF of course).

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Paul Richman
Like?
In reply to kartikjayaraman, 6 months ago

kartikjayaraman wrote:

Nice captures Paul, I like #2 as the composition is the most pleasing to my eyes.

Ah, finally a vote for #2.  Thanks!  You see why it's a tough decision for me.

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, 6 months ago

123Mike wrote:

Awesome you posted the full resolution shots!

Almost.  These are actually about half size, as that's the max DPR will upload.

The quality IMO is really, really, really good. The level of detail throughout the frame on all 3 is absolutely astonishing. It makes me want this really badly.

Yes, I love the detail this lens produces.  I shoot at F11 to pull into focus the corners and edges as much as possible, and then use Topaz InFocus to mitigate diffraction effects.  The result really pops!

However, it just costs too much, so I'm going to have to settle on the upcoming A6000. I'm not rushing into it either and might stick with my A3000 for a bit.

That A6000 looks exciting.

That lens must be one helluva lens though! For it to resolve THAT kind of detail (even though it's FF of course).

I'm mostly happy with it.

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,137
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, 6 months ago

123Mike wrote:

Awesome you posted the full resolution shots! The quality IMO is really, really, really good. The level of detail throughout the frame on all 3 is absolutely astonishing.

Unfortunately, the detail is marred by too much sharpening. Notice the halo around the barn in #1, for example. If you have the raw file, you could develop the shot with less sharpening.

JohnSingkit
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?

Paul Richman wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

You noticed! Yes, I've grown fond of this lens. I shoot it mostly at F11, and then use InFocus to defeat much of the effects of diffraction. Central areas are extremely sharp at all FL, even 24 and 70. I now also have a Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90 mm F/2.8-4.5 ASPH ROM Lens for midrange use.

I did also want feedback on these shots. I had preferred #3 as it gives a bigger view of the main subject, but was also torn by liking the ice covered fence in #1. I shot these this morning just after sunrise. The snow was all gone by noon.

Thanks for your feedback and insight!

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

I picked #3 despite less water, but more sky and, as you say, bigger view of the main subject, otherwise the snow-covered field in the foreground tends to dominate in #2. I do agree with stevo23 that more water on the left would have helped that, for sure. In #1, the fence takes the eye away from the vastness of the snow-covered field in relation to the main subject.

djrocks66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,097Gear list
Like?
The First

The first. I like the fence in the foreground.

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +8 more
mypic
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
#3#3#3#3

I like:)

mypic's gear list:mypic's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Alpha 7
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,636Gear list
Like?
Re: #3#3#3#3
In reply to mypic, 6 months ago

The first one Paul.

The other 2 have less contrast and that little stream is distracting from the main subject (the barn) and the sky colours are less pleasing.

The first is also ultrasharp to the corners.

Greg.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads