Poll: What are your plans in light of the Quattro series?

Started 4 months ago | Polls
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,516Gear list
Like?
Poll: What are your plans in light of the Quattro series?
4 months ago
No text.
 Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
POLL
Will postpone DPM purchase to get Quattro, tweaked sensor.
12.4% 11  votes
Will wait for Quattro reviews to decide.
52.8% 47  votes
Will get DPMx now to take advantage of lower prices, sensor.
20.2% 18  votes
Will let cocker spaniel sleeping on sofa decide.
14.6% 13  votes
  Show results
Corkcampbell
Like?
Additional information
In reply to Corkcampbell, 4 months ago

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,681
Like?
Re: Additional information

#5. wait for the dslr version

Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,312Gear list
Like?
Re: Poll: What are your plans in light of the Quattro series?

I've done two things:

1.  Bought DP3M, delighted with it

2.  Bought another lens for my Fuji X-E1

No plans to buy anything Quattro at the moment, neither car nor camera.

If Sigma brings out something that contrast autofocuses and has provision for SA-mount lenses, I'll be interested, Quattro or not.  In hopes of that I'm holding onto a couple of SA-mount lenses because I want to be ready if it ever happens.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
Sorry, didn't think of it - I like the portability of the DP series. (nt)
In reply to mike earussi, 4 months ago

no text

-- hide signature --

Roger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,864Gear list
Like?

Keeping shooting what I have including my other cameras till they break then decide.  If there is a Q DSLR (big if) and the price I'll take a look at it.

I have more than enough gear to shoot anything.  I don't need anything new.

Regards

Roger J.

justascot
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
Re: #6
In reply to Roger, 4 months ago

I've also just bought a DP3m, also delighted with it, to the extent I may buy the DP1m which I wasn't considering at all until I bought the DP3m. I had wanted the DP3m sinc its announcement but due to other circumstances hadn't been able to buy until now. My wife had the DP2s so the DP2m didn't appeal for that reason, had no interest in the DP1 models, however the colour and the level of detail from the DP3m has made me have another look at the DP1m.

In a compact camera I think the Merrils are good enough for my needs, I'm not sure I feel the need to upgrade to a Quattro.

However I have been looking to upgrade my aging SD14 to the SD1m, and a Quattro with better higher ISO performance would possibly appeal, however if the announcement on a new dslr model isn't forthcoming soon I may just settle for the SD1m and wait for any upcoming new models to fall in price before I buy in.

I've never been one that needs to have the latest and greatest but I can see the benefits that a Quattro could have for me in a dslr model, but the specifications and the capabilities would have to be proven first before I spend the cash. I like to make investments, not jump on speculations. At this stage without seeing results Its all speculation.

Steven

justascot's gear list:justascot's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
Yeah, I'm also thinking of the DP1M. Or Quattro equivalent.
In reply to justascot, 4 months ago

For about a year I assumed I would want a DP3, but I realize now that my DP2M can take care of those needs. I will watch the prices and probably follow the advice of the cocker spaniel, Bobo, who, in the past, as given excellent photo hardware advice, especially after I've had a couple of drinks.

-- hide signature --

ekaton
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?

I have the DP2M and DP3M since release into the market an am now trying to fish a DP1M at a bottom price. I simply can`t imagine that the quattro can improve on the IQ of the Merrills. Performance wise we will see, but the slow write speed and limited battery capacity of the current generation of Sigma`s pocket IQ monsters never bothered me. Otherwise, ergonomics and the straight forward UI of the Merrills are just fine for me.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill RX100 III Leica M9 +1 more
Lord metroid
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list
Like?

I really love with image quality and camera design of the SIGMA DP2 Merrill.

However, I need to prioritize my hard earned money for other projects at the moment and I have no immediate need for a new camera. The SIGMA DP2s that I currently own will have to be plenty sufficient for the time being.

I have a planned a giant 3 month long vacation to Japan in spring of 2015. I feel that it would be a shame to use the SIGMA DP2s for that adventure. So, I have cometh to the conclusion that the right time to get a new camera is either just before I leave or just when I have arrive in Japan.

There is plenty of time to compare the SIGMA DP2 Merrill to the SIGMA DP2 Quattro. So I eagerly bide my time.

Lord metroid's gear list:Lord metroid's gear list
Sigma DP2s
tornwald
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
Re: Additional information

What might be even of greater importance for me to wait and see how the new sensor performs is this alleged hybrid viewfinder Sigma is working on. It's not the speed, the bad iso capabilities or the horrible batery life on the DPM's that are an obstacle for me. I can perfectly cope with these issues.
It's the shooting experience that is the most important for me. I like to shoot handheld, documenting the world around me. What I miss the most is a big and clear viewfinder for carefully composing the image. To be able to see what you want to photograph, to see where you want to focus in the image.
It's about having control. I love the DPM's, but I end up using them as a point and shoot camera, looking at the back screen to see what my image is going to be, while they are just exacly not a point and shoot camera. The deserve to be a compact medium format camera. Now, if only they would handle like one.

tornwald's gear list:tornwald's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro
James05
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?

Wait until a version with a built in viewfinder (one that you put up to the eye) becomes available.

jrdigitalart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,968
Like?
What, nothing for Bobo?

Corkcampbell wrote:

. . . probably follow the advice of the cocker spaniel, Bobo, who, in the past, as given excellent photo hardware advice, especially after I've had a couple of drinks.

I would have thought that Bobo would at least have reached the same inebriated level as its master, in order for a "mutual understanding" of the solution at hand. ;~)

-- hide signature --

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs
Cherish your privacy? Avoid (sp)iPhones.
You are welcome to visit my portfolio here:
http://www.pbase.com/jrdigitalart

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,150Gear list
Like?
Another possibility, buy now for IR later

One thought here, is that with Merrill prices getting cheap it may be a good idea to buy one now, use it, then convert to IR use if you do get a DPQ (or even an SDQ) later.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
SigmaTog
Contributing MemberPosts: 559
Like?
In reply to James05, 4 months ago

James05 wrote:

Wait until a version with a built in viewfinder (one that you put up to the eye) becomes available.

Too slow !

You need a tripod, so use the LCD.

OR better still use the 'Live View' with tethering, if it is going to be available

ΣigmaTog

Corkcampbell
Like?
Bobo has his own camera system and doesn't care about Foveon.
In reply to jrdigitalart, 4 months ago

Of course, he can't see colors...

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo; I'm better with my Sigma cameras than my iPhone.

-- hide signature --

Corkcampbell
Like?
The original DP2 series cameras are excellent, all three models.
In reply to Lord metroid, 4 months ago

I still have one of the first DP2 cameras to arrive, and it works fine. I keep meaning to put it on eBay but can't seem to part with it, and it has the built-in flash which comes in handy once in a while.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,698Gear list
Like?
Not covered in the poll but....

My plan is *maybe* order one, and give it a real push.

- If it blotches green and magentas like current Merill it goes back

- If B&W can't be used reasonably well to ISO 6400 it goes back (note: I found Merrill with B&W can be used pretty well at ISO 1600 and in a push to ISO 3200, so I am not expecting perfection, just something I can use with some nice grain)

- Not hopeful about decent ISO 1600 in color, but ISO 800.  That's ok- goes in line with my expectations.  But it needs to do B&W well.

- Size is still a concern but not expected a deal breaker.

Before ordering one I would most likely try to convert a few raw files and play with them as soon as there are available.

I feel 50/50 as I may just continue using the Ricoh GR/Pentax Q7 combo I have been using with an occasional Fuji X-E1.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,428
Like?

I have all DPxM so for me it will be to get dp2Q and wait for SD1Q.
--
Lightwriting with Sigma

PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,535
Like?

Corkcampbell wrote:

Hope that Sigma releases a Q DSLR in a Canon-mount option

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads