FUJI X-T1 LIGHT LEAK Locked

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,025Gear list
Re: MUCH WORSE THAN WHAT I THOUGHTS 2 PHOTOS !!!!
In reply to bigpigbig, 9 months ago

Thx for reply and clarification, I do appreciate, 

I completely agree with your statement it's easy to cope

I'm mainly defneding the consumer point of view that is to say not to admit such an issue without an official fix Canon did it (with black scotch tape .... biyt that worked) and Nikon did not shame on it!

Anyway the debated was and is useful since it brings info toboth users and Fuji

Cheers

Bob

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,477Gear list

bigpigbig wrote:

Sorry. Didn't mean to be rude, or offend you.

It was more a reply to the Internet at large.

It is NOT a huge issue. It will affect .001% or less of the total shots taken worldwide.

That's it.  In real life, in-person conversations, I don't think people talk to each other like this about gear problems.  The 'internet' in general tends to be overly dramatic in the way 'it' describes problems.  Fuji absolutely should fix this, of course.   No one is excusing them for the light leak.  I tend to be very low key though, so maybe that's why too much CAPS lock and !!!! annoys me.   I just want to hear about the problems in a matter of fact type of way and avoid all the drama.  Then I can decide for myself if it will be a big problem for me or not.  I already saw someone in another place (in response to this light leak) claiming Fuji had monkeys working in their quality control dept.  Really?  They can't say add anything intelligent to the conversation, so they start belittling the company as a whole and all the people that try to do a good job there.

Ah, humans.....

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
baobob
In reply to D200_4me, 9 months ago

Interesting thoughts indeed

That said the consumer point of view needs to be defended

For the moment it is easy to cope with the issue

But we do need to get an effective answer from Fuji, this is our due after we paid for an high end product

What could be accepted may be for a cam at 150$ cannot for such a product.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
dotjon
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Re: FUJI X-T1 LIGHT LEAK
In reply to Sal Baker, 9 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

dotjon wrote:

And again another issue caused by manufacturers adding a retarded video feature on a still camera. I blame the stupid consumers who think they can shoot watchable video handheld on any still camera. Ooh, HD video awesome uuh. You could as well use a cell phone.

Trying to cramp video features on still cameras only results in design compromises and more horrible video on youtube. Stop this madness. Make better still cameras and better video cameras by keeping these separate.

A camera can't have a high-refresh rate EVF without cramming video into the camera. The issue being discussed is not related to the video in a camera, it's caused by the I/O ports that any digital camera needs, with video or without. It's helpful to focus on the real problem at hand. Fuji will no doubt fix the problem going forward, and offer a fix for those currently afflicted. Just like Canon did with their $3,500 5DIII light leak.

Sal

The IO ports in question here are microphone input and HDMI output, which aren't needed for still photography. Yes obviously there is video technology to produce images for the LCD and EVF, but it does not mean that there needs to be subpar video recording functionality crammed in.

Video in a still camera just doesn't work, it only complicates the design and leads to inevitable compromises.

dotjon's gear list:dotjon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
D200_4me
In reply to baobob, 9 months ago

baobob wrote:

Interesting thoughts indeed

That said the consumer point of view needs to be defended

For the moment it is easy to cope with the issue

But we do need to get an effective answer from Fuji, this is our due after we paid for an high end product

What could be accepted may be for a cam at 150$ cannot for such a product.

-- hide signature --

I understand. Given Fuji's reputation for going out of their way to keep people happy with firmware updates on old cameras, I'm sure they'll take care of this if someone calls them about it. There's no way they'd refuse to fix or replace these cameras. I just don't see that happening. It's a very obvious and easy to replicate problem. I'll think about it, but for me and my X-T1, I won't be sending it in anytime soon. Perhaps several months from now when the warranty is still good and the thrill of the new camera is gone, I may send it in and let them fix it. This would never affect my shooting, but the ONLY thing I'd be concerned about is resale value if someone knew about this issue and asked me about it. I'm not the type of person that would sell the camera to someone and lie to them (saying it didn't have the problem). So, just for that reason, I 'might' send it in several months from now to be fixed.

By the way, I checked my X100S and Olympus E-M1 to see if I could find any light leaks with a bright LED flashlight shining into the ports under the open flaps.   Both cameras were ok.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
fongg
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
In reply to fongg, 9 months ago

Just tested my copy of X-T1. Yes, it experienced the purple color when I pointed a strong LED light towards the opened side door. Yes, I do do long exposure with ND filters under bright sunlight or at night. Do I use cable release? Can, but a self timer is just way more handy. And X-T1 allows remote control with iPhone. Even better. An issue to me. No. It is me using the equipment, not the other way round.

Just like people complaining how low-tech Sigma DPxM is. The ISO performance sucks. The battery sucks. The control sucks. The file saving takes 10 seconds. RAW files are not supported by 3rd-party softwares. So what? I appreciate the beauty of its low ISO IQ, so I bring along my tripod to ensure the lowest ISO possible, and be patient when taking every shots. If I can wait 30s or longer to do a long exposure, why do I bother with the slightly longer file saving time.

And then my Leica M9P. It's the lowest tech camera I've ever used. It doesn't have AF. No fancy filters. No face detection. No video. ISO performance is not good. File saving freezes once a while. CCD sensor coating has got issue. So what? It takes gorgeous pictures under controlled use. And it costs what? 6 units of a X-T1. Do I expect to be problem free? Never.

There come people jumping ups & downs with issues like this every time, and interestingly some don't even own the specific model. People just like digging out flaws and complaining. Name one single product that is 100% flawless and to the full satisfaction of all people. Many usually don't even realize that there is an issue until someone else points it out somewhere, e.g. Youtube, and then start making a big fuss of it.

Many (incl. myself) want a perfect piece of equipment, while they don't/can't even make good pictures with the equipment. And there are people out there spending more time on phototaking and making gorgeous pictures with their outdated/broken/junk equipment. People call Fuji/X-T1 a shame. What or who exactly is a shame?

With today's pace of new product launch, some/many may even have long sold their X-T1 before Fuji comes up with a solution. So why bother too much with an issue that may affect less than 1% or even nil of one's work (this is for those who really/heavily use their X-T1). Canon 5DIII, Nikon D800E and even Leica M9/M9P/M240 have their own issues. I certainly won't call the X-T1 a high-end one and thus expect it to be problem free.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not pinpointing to anyone. I just want to say that we should all move on, and spend more time on taking photos using the camera(s) we have on hand, than keep on complaining this and that.

Happy shooting, or angry issue-testing & complaining. Either way will do. Solely one's own choice.

Don't like what I said? Just ignore me and move on then.

fongg's gear list:fongg's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS 7D Leica M9-P Fujifilm X-T1
baobob
This would never affect my shooting, but the ONLY thing I'd be concerned about is resale value if someone knew about this issue and asked me about it. I'm not the type of person that would sell the camera to someone and lie to them (saying it didn't have the problem). So, just for that reason, I 'might' send it in several months from now to be fixed.

That is indeed an important reason to get a fix, I don't usenay of the connectors involved

Rememberthe bad example ofthe Nikon 600 At last they wiull fix it after more than 1 year in the meantime impossible to sell the camera 0 value

-- hide signature --

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,650
More of your impeccable logic...
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, 9 months ago

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

... don't plug the camera into my computer because I do firmware updates and file downloads from the card.

Thank heaven. If you plugged the camera into your computer to do firmware updates, think of all the photos that you would get showing light leaks that were shot while updating the firmware. You need to rethink this, if you can.

D200_4me

baobob wrote:

That is indeed an important reason to get a fix, I don't usenay of the connectors involved

Rememberthe bad example ofthe Nikon 600 At last they wiull fix it after more than 1 year in the meantime impossible to sell the camera 0 value

Unfortunately, I have a personal experience with how bad the resale value is on the D600 (even one that's already been fixed)     It's a shame, because it's an excellent camera.  Just has a bad reputation now.

-- hide signature --
Maximus176
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Re: MUCH WORSE THAN WHAT I THOUGHTS 2 PHOTOS !!!! Hysteria

Calm down and have a cup of tea!!!!

Honestly the hysteria here is a joke, I agree its a problem but a real minor one tbh. My camera came from B@Hin the states, so Im fubarred if mine has to go back. Fortunately I don't have a light leak, and if I did I would just bob a bit of tape over the offending port.

Back in the day, I remember myself moaning about software issues with the X100, poor af etc. To their credit Fuji have been exemplary in provideding users with regular firmaware updates and fixes. I cannot recall any other manufacturer who have put customers first in such a way.

http://www.thebigpicturegallery.com/blog

Maximus176's gear list:Maximus176's gear list
Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
TakePictures
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Be prepared for a delayed full review...
In reply to adfhg, 9 months ago

That's what you get if you torture your camera and post the result on these forums...

TakePictures's gear list:TakePictures's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300 Apple Aperture
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678Gear list
Fixed

Apparently:

"Fuji knows about the issue, and a service directive has been in place for several weeks. It’s an easy fix.”

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
brooklyn geezer
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Re: Fixed

bigpigbig wrote:

Apparently:

"Fuji knows about the issue, and a service directive has been in place for several weeks. It’s an easy fix.”

This is from Fuji?  What do they tell you to do?

unknown member
(unknown member)
In reply to adfhg, 9 months ago

adfhg wrote:

I was gonna buy one right now but i'll wait to see what fuji is going to do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmpLPinIXQ

-- hide signature --

vic.
Stop bombarding me with your facts and sciences!

I just tested my A7R and there's no light leak at all

Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Re: Anyone tried this on other cameras?
In reply to 57even, 9 months ago

57even wrote:

After all, if you shine a torch into the ports on other cameras they may have the same problem. In which case, this is not really a very big deal since without the torch noone would notice.

The issue was first noticed in real world use, then demonstrated by shining a light into the camera.

Real Example

Why do some people repeatedly insist that such real issues don't exist? The sharing of these issues and how to deal with them is one of the great benefits of participating in a gear forum. I hate wading through all the apologists posts to find useful information. If you can't stand to read about the weaknesses of a camera, then don't open threads that discuss those weaknesses. If it is not an issue for you, then move along.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
D200_4me
Re: Fixed
In reply to brooklyn geezer, 9 months ago

brooklyn geezer wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Apparently:

This is from Fuji? What do they tell you to do?

Some guy posted that on the Fuji rumors site (I saw it too).  Whether he knows that for a fact or not, I'm not sure.  But I'm quite sure if Fuji doesn't already know, they will soon and they will take care of this under warranty.

-- hide signature --
Richard Spangler
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
In reply to LWS2013, 9 months ago

Again fuji will fix thsi in future production that will force most of us to have to send ours in for repair if we want to sell it in the future as a buyer may ask if it has the issue. I for one don't won't to have to send it off somewhere or deal with taking a possible loss on resale value so I will send it back to amazon.

Sure it will not affect my shooting and it is easily fixed but it is not a perfectly working high end camera that it should be.

If they all did it and fuji doesn't do anything about it then I can accept that. But I know they will fix it implying it was a defect or QC issue.

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 6,300Gear list
Re: Anyone tried this on other cameras?
In reply to Randy Benter, 9 months ago

Randy Benter wrote:

57even wrote:

After all, if you shine a torch into the ports on other cameras they may have the same problem. In which case, this is not really a very big deal since without the torch noone would notice.

The issue was first noticed in real world use, then demonstrated by shining a light into the camera.

Real Example

Why do some people repeatedly insist that such real issues don't exist? The sharing of these issues and how to deal with them is one of the great benefits of participating in a gear forum. I hate wading through all the apologists posts to find useful information. If you can't stand to read about the weaknesses of a camera, then don't open threads that discuss those weaknesses. If it is not an issue for you, then move along.

Since this is not your forum I don't really think you are in a position to dictate what I can and cannot read or say, or complain when other people don't share your reaction. That's what happens in forums.

My point was how many other cameras would do the same under the same circumstances? Have you tried this with all your other cameras? My D800 has a VF blind for long exposures. Most DSLRs don't. You have to use a cheap plastic cap over the VF that most no longer supply. Does that make them all faulty?

There is an issue, so thanks for mentioning it. Now how is mentioning it 400 X going to change the fact? It's out of the bag, so Fuji will either fix it, or you will have to get creative with the tape.

It is NOT a big deal even if you want to make it one, especially as most people can't even seem to replicate it.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Teapot, meet Tempest
In reply to 57even, 9 months ago

57even wrote:

There is an issue, so thanks for mentioning it. Now how is mentioning it 400 X going to change the fact? It's out of the bag, so Fuji will either fix it, or you will have to get creative with the tape.

It is NOT a big deal even if you want to make it one.

Oh, the humanity.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,865Gear list
In reply to dotjon, 9 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

dotjon wrote:

And again another issue caused by manufacturers adding a retarded video feature on a still camera. I blame the stupid consumers who think they can shoot watchable video handheld on any still camera. Ooh, HD video awesome uuh. You could as well use a cell phone.

Trying to cramp video features on still cameras only results in design compromises and more horrible video on youtube. Stop this madness. Make better still cameras and better video cameras by keeping these separate.

A camera can't have a high-refresh rate EVF without cramming video into the camera. The issue being discussed is not related to the video in a camera, it's caused by the I/O ports that any digital camera needs, with video or without. It's helpful to focus on the real problem at hand. Fuji will no doubt fix the problem going forward, and offer a fix for those currently afflicted. Just like Canon did with their $3,500 5DIII light leak.

Sal

The IO ports in question here are microphone input and HDMI output, which aren't needed for still photography. Yes obviously there is video technology to produce images for the LCD and EVF, but it does not mean that there needs to be subpar video recording functionality crammed in.

Video in a still camera just doesn't work, it only complicates the design and leads to inevitable compromises.

Faulty I/O port implementation appears to be the problem, there would be ports even without video. Many Fuji users want even better video in their cameras. This is a tired debate. I used the 5DII for personal and professional video work for 4 years. It was also used to shoot TV network and cinema dramas and combat documentaries (not by me). This only proves that video in digital cameras is useful and desirable to many, just not necessarily to everyone.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads