FUJI X-T1 LIGHT LEAK Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
adfhg
Regular MemberPosts: 144
FUJI X-T1 LIGHT LEAK
4 months ago

I was gonna buy one right now but i'll wait to see what fuji is going to do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmpLPinIXQ

-- hide signature --

vic.
Stop bombarding me with your facts and sciences!

Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Summit_pg
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Re: FUJI X-T1 LIGHT LEAK
In reply to adfhg, 4 months ago

That looks worrisome. I do a lot of long exposures as well. Holding off on my purchase until I see more testing/results.

Summit_pg's gear list:Summit_pg's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,692Gear list

Just tested mine evrything ok here

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
adfhg
Regular MemberPosts: 144
In reply to baobob, 4 months ago

More people having the same problem here http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/19546-fuji-x-t1-light-leak/

-- hide signature --

vic.

tcphotog
New MemberPosts: 11

This has nothing to do with weather sealing.  The light leak only occurs if the weather sealed port door is already open.

A problem?  Yes, but easily overcome by covering the two ports at fault with tape for daylight long-exposures, and taking care not to shine a flashlight in the holes during night shooting with a wired shutter release.

Should be an easy fix for Fuji.  Sadly, the first black-mark engineering flaw on what is proving to be a fine camera.

I've had an X-T1 for over a week now.  Completely enamored with the fuji glass, and the image quality and handling of the X-T1.  I don't own a wired shutter release yet, and don't plan to any time soon since the wifi app is great and will meet my needs (no BULB, and limited to 30 second exposures via the app, which is fine for my shooting, but obviously not for everyone).

baobob
ABSOLUTELY TRUE : FUJI X-T1 LIGHT LEAK !!!!!!!!!!!!

I just checked mine, the microphone jack is the source of a big light leak and there will be a necessity of a corrcetive patch

On my sample only the jack is leaking

To morrow I'll post a macro wher you can distinctly see that a joint is :missing around the jackn astonishing !!!

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list

adfhg wrote:

I was gonna buy one right now but i'll wait to see what fuji is going to do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmpLPinIXQ

-- hide signature --

vic.

Perfect business opportunity. Will probably be filled soon by a Chinese company. Look for them on Ebay within a week. (In fact, they already made them and then released the video to show everyone how much they need them)

X-T1 LeakFix -

"Want to shoot long exposures using a cable release with your X-T1? Tired of your photos having purple fringing? Then you need LeakFix. Only $19.99. But wait, there's more. If you order NOW, we'll give you not one, not two, but THREE sets of plugs. Yes THREE! We'll even ship them anywhere in the world at NO ADDITIONAL COST! Yes, Free!"

If 5000 people who read these forums buy them, they make $100K in a month.

Product would be flat rubber plugs created to fit mic and HDMI ports in Google Sketchup by a 13 year old and printed on a 3D printer for $.06 each and another $.01 for a small ziplock bag to ship them in.

In fact, why wait, buy yours HERE .

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Re: ABSOLUTELY TRUE : FUJI X-T1 LIGHT LEAK !!!!!!!!!!!!

baobob wrote:

I just checked mine, the microphone jack is the source of a big light leak and there will be a necessity of a corrcetive patch

On my sample only the jack is leaking

To morrow I'll post a macro wher you can distinctly see that a joint is :missing around the jackn astonishing !!!

-- hide signature --

On mine, it leaks around the HDMI jack as well as the microphone jack. The USB jack seems to be immune to the problem.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Dorkington
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list

For curiosity's sake, I tested this on my X-E2, and there's no problems. So I'm guessing this is an isolated error for the X-T1's manufacturing. and will be relatively easy to fix on their part.

Dorkington's gear list:Dorkington's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,513Gear list
Anyone tried this on other cameras?

After all, if you shine a torch into the ports on other cameras they may have the same problem. In which case, this is not really a very big deal since without the torch noone would notice.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
baobob
In reply to bigpigbig, 4 months ago

I think your prediction will soon reveal to be true !!

Before Fuji provodes us a proper fix black scotch tape should cure it momentaneously ...

Not very brillinat however  in terms of IQ ... listen Fuji ???

-- hide signature --

bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list

baobob wrote:

I think your prediction will soon reveal to be true !!

Before Fuji provodes us a proper fix black scotch tape should cure it momentaneously ...

Not very brillinat however in terms of IQ ... listen Fuji ???

-- hide signature --

Baobob,

Not brilliant, but not a disaster either. Far from it.

When a fix for a very specific shooting scenario can be had with a small piece of tape, I think things will be OK.

Given Fuji's record of customer service, I expect they will make the plugs themselves and send them free to X-T1 owners.

"If you want to shoot long exposures, using a cable release, with a bright light source to the right of your camera, please use these plugs with our complements and apologies. Problem solved."

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
ketsang
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list

adfhg wrote:

-- hide signature --

vic.

I don't own the X-T1, just a few comments after reading this threat.

On the video, the light leak occurs when shining strong light into the microphone jack. In actual shooting situation when you are doing long exposure.....

1. There shouldn't be such strong light around when you need to do long exposure?

2. When you plug in your cable release into the microphone jack, wouldn't that seal the leak anyway?

Just some thoughts.

-- hide signature --

Ket Sang Tai
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ketsang/
www.kstphotography.net (under construction)

ketsang's gear list:ketsang's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,600Gear list
In reply to ketsang, 4 months ago

I just checked my XT1 which I received yesterday. No light leak like on the You Tube video. just the smallest of one at an odd angle that seems to be more the HDMI jack.

I checked my A7r as well and I also get the tiniest of light leaks. I used a powerful LED Ledlenser torch which is super bright.

I can't see it being an issue on exposures up to 30 seconds with the door closed. Over 30 seconds if it does cause a problem then a bit of blue non residue masking tape would handle it.

Black electrical tape has sticky glue that will make a mess.

Greg.

D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,344Gear list
Yep

And those dang Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 lenses are snapping right off the camera inside the bag by the hundreds too

Like someone else said on here, I can't imagine who would be doing long exposures with that flap open and nothing plugged into the ports to block the light anyway.  Perhaps someone is doing some long audio exposures???     Who knows.  And yes, for Pete's sake, use one of those smartphone or tablet thingys to control the camera via wi-fi.

Probably not an awesome idea to have a way for light to get in like that, but in a real shooting situation, I seriously doubt this would be an issue.   I suppose the youtuber just needs some more video hits or something.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
Elusivesouls
Forum MemberPosts: 94

adfhg wrote:

-- hide signature --

vic.

Go looking for flaws, and you will find them by the dozen.

Did we not realize the camera is built by man, and man is not perfect?

And if you did, why the surprise? You can take any product in your house and find a flaw.

I suspect Fuji will react and fix it - when, I have no idea, but that is beside the point as I feel that once that is fixed, we will have found a dozen more things for them to do and to not be happy about.

This is our nature; yet it continuously surprises, confounds, and shocks us when we do. People will always amuse me in how obvious things can be, and yet how oblivious we are to it all.

Makes me wonder how we manage to be in relationships or be happy at all, always looking for these flaws.

D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,344Gear list
Re: Yep
In reply to D200_4me, 4 months ago

By the way, it comes in through both the mic port and the HDMI port.  Seems the USB port doesn't let the light in, on my test.  But anyway, I thought I'd be overly dramatic about it in my last post, since it's the internet and you know, the net needs its drama

I don't use any of those ports under the cover for any reason, so my door will be shut 100% of the time.  Leak or no leak, it won't affect me.  Might be a little issue for some, but it's very easy to stop it with a piece of tape or whatever.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list

This could be a disaster for anyone using a 72R filter to shoot near IR. I had an adapter for a Nikon lens which had a light leak. Not noticeable at all for normal shooting but when I shot near IR with my Hoya 72R filter it would ruin the pictures. I found a few work arounds but in the end a $12 adapter fixed the problem. Here, this could make the XT1 a problem for IR without plugging up the leaks.

Well, you got weather proofing plus an ironic twist. Shame the box that captures light can also leak light 

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Elusivesouls
Forum MemberPosts: 94
In reply to Al Valentino, 4 months ago

Al Valentino wrote:

This could be a disaster for anyone using a 72R filter to shoot near IR. I had an adapter for a Nikon lens which had a light leak. Not noticeable at all for normal shooting but when I shot near IR with my Hoya 72R filter it would ruin the pictures. I found a few work arounds but in the end a $12 adapter fixed the problem. Here, this could make the XT1 a problem for IR without plugging up the leaks.

Well, you got weather proofing plus an ironic twist. Shame the box that captures light can also leak light

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Out of curiosity, how many other of your cameras have you thoroughly tested for light leaks? Would this have even occurred to you, had someone not pointed it out?

Do you do pixel test on all of your TVs and monitors?

Do you slam on the brakes of your car in rain after getting wet-weather tires?

Do you put a 25lb sack in your child's car seat and slam on the brakes to see if it will hold the weight as advertised?

I mean come on. Go look for flaws in every thing you own. It'll keep you busy for quite a while and I'm sure you'll have a ton of emails to write to all the manufacturers with your findings. Who knows, it could be quite fun.

I get WHY someone would do this and that it is necessary for improvement of the product, but honestly, half if not more of the people upset over it probably would have never even noticed it in all of their months or years of owning this camera and yet suddenly they are complaining about it - and worse yet, looking for it so they can complain about it.. That's what baffles me.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
In reply to Elusivesouls, 4 months ago

Elusivesouls wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

-- hide signature --

Out of curiosity, how many other of your cameras have you thoroughly tested for light leaks? Would this have even occurred to you, had someone not pointed it out?

Do you do pixel test on all of your TVs and monitors?

Do you slam on the brakes of your car in rain after getting wet-weather tires?

Do you put a 25lb sack in your child's car seat and slam on the brakes to see if it will hold the weight as advertised?

I mean come on. Go look for flaws in every thing you own. It'll keep you busy for quite a while and I'm sure you'll have a ton of emails to write to all the manufacturers with your findings. Who knows, it could be quite fun.

I get WHY someone would do this and that it is necessary for improvement of the product, but honestly, half if not more of the people upset over it probably would have never even noticed it in all of their months or years of owning this camera and yet suddenly they are complaining about it - and worse yet, looking for it so they can complain about it.. That's what baffles me.

What baffles me is you missed my point completely. It was about a light leak for IR with a filter where tiny amounts of visible light add up over the long exposure with a nearly black filter which passes the near IR spectrum.

For IR work light leaks are a killer, period. Also lenses with IR hot spots like the 18-55. That lens is bad for IR work while the 55-200 is excellent as is the 14 and 35 so not all lenses are IR friendly.

As for your other questions, No to all of the above. You would be hard pressed to find a post of me complaining about any of my camera or lens, ever. If you would have 'review peaked' you would have understood my concern.

-- hide signature --

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads