Geneva Motor Show: A77 meets Minolta colours (test shots & chasers)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Geneva Motor Show: A77 meets Minolta colours (test shots & chasers)
5 months ago

Just returned from the press days. All .JPEG xFine straight from camera (no PP)

Some test shots of the Minolta 100mm F/2,8 with the A77.

Close your eyes... please ! (100% shot available) WB

Now open, thanks ! (100% shot available), wow Minolta and skin tones....

Hello !

Crop:

Nice... Sharp !

F/2,8 (but handheld)

100% crop:

It works...

You look at me ?!

100% crop:

More high-key like...

100% crop:

I fall in love ! What a camera ... ( )

100% crop:

Enjoy ! (All is calibrated for Retina display)

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Shoot RAW+ ...think JPEG »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michel J
Like?
Re: Geneva Motor Show: A77 meets Minolta colours (test shots & chasers)
In reply to Michel J, 5 months ago

More here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53253607

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,771Gear list
Like?

Hi Michel,

Without trying to sound rude... I do not see anything special about the colours in your post, if anything I see underexposure (caused by harsh overhead lights I guess) and weird white balance (probably the same plus colours from the stands).

I am only saying this as I am sure that you can deliver much better examples than this
--
James
http://www.outdoorsphotography.co.uk
http://www.jamestux.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamestux/
http://blog.jamestux.com

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
splashy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to JamieTux, 5 months ago

I love the girls and super love the Lexus.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
Michel J
Like?

JamieTux wrote:

Hi Michel,

Without trying to sound rude... I do not see anything special about the colours in your post,

I referred to earlier threads related to "Minolta colours" and lenses, it was just an anecdote about.

So if you haven't noticed something special about, that means all is correct about colours, that's the point.

(except the tricky WB ones, what I agree, for sure)!

if anything I see underexposure (caused by harsh overhead lights I guess)

No this is not the lights, it's me. I confess that I have to increase my technique to get a better exposure. It was the first "real life" testing with this camera. And "no RAW" so "no second chance"... ( )

In the other hand, It's me or sometimes the EVF (effects to "ON") doesn't return to us a completely faithful representation of the "real life" according to desired exposure? (It appeared one time to me, after I changed many times from "portrait" to "landscape", then I restarted the camera (turn it "OFF" and "ON" again), then everything gone be alright.)

and weird white balance (probably the same plus colours from the stands).

Yes, I tried to don't use flash nor LED panel. So sometimes I had a large amount of different K values (from 2900 K to 6000 K).

I am only saying this as I am sure that you can deliver much better examples than this

I'm working on it, thanks....

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Shoot RAW+ ...think JPEG »f

JamieTux
Like?

Michel J wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

No this is not the lights, it's me. I confess that I have to increase my technique to get a better exposure. It was the first "real life" testing with this camera. And "no RAW" so "no second chance"... ( )

I find that I need to overexpose by 2/3 stop to get good skin tones on portraits (I normally shoot raw and do it there to save the highlights!) with the A99, I imagine that the A77 would have similar metering.

In the other hand, It's me or sometimes the EVF (effects to "ON") doesn't return to us a completely faithful representation of the "real life" according to desired exposure? (It appeared one time to me, after I changed many times from "portrait" to "landscape", then I restarted the camera (turn it "OFF" and "ON" again), then everything gone be alright.)

Yeah - it takes a while for white balance to catch up too  I like EVF most of the time - but with extreme contrasts or quickly changing light it gets in the way a bit!

I'm sure you'll be fine - how do you find your reproduction work with it?

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Shoot RAW+ ...think JPEG »f

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
TomGallopavo
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?

Lightroom could do wonders on some of these.  I know...I have two little kids and take lots of snapshots inside on the fly....

TomGallopavo's gear list:TomGallopavo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +6 more
JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,705Gear list
Like?

I think also part of the issue is lens selection. The 100 2.8 macro is probably fine for outdoor photography portraiture, but indoors it may struggle to handle the light situation. Usable definitely, optimal, probably not.

A better lens out of Michel's options would have been the 50 1.7 in this case. An 85 1.4 lens would have been ideal in this environment.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 NEX5R Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +18 more
Michel J
Like?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, 5 months ago

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

I think also part of the issue is lens selection. The 100 2.8 macro is probably fine for outdoor photography portraiture, but indoors it may struggle to handle the light situation. Usable definitely, optimal, probably not.

A better lens out of Michel's options would have been the 50 1.7 in this case. An 85 1.4 lens would have been ideal in this environment.

True Jimmy, after I saw my shots it was to be my plan to get the 50mm F/1,7. I will use it today.

The DOF is tricky with the 100mm to follow the action fast, yes the 85mm should be better (but I didn't have one).

I also noticed that the era of Beercan, B-Beercan and secret HS is over for me, not really suitable for really HQ images with a 24MP APS-C (they are sharp --especially the 28-135mm-- but images seems "cottony" a tad, at the same time, like David Hamilton's rendering a little) and I have a total of 6 copy for all. So it's confirmed to my side.

But I don't want to sell (I want to use these lenses for the rendering and caractere they have, for some situations). And also I'm waiting for the FF generation next...

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

Michel J
Like?

JamieTux wrote:

Michel J wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

I find that I need to overexpose by 2/3 stop to get good skin tones on portraits (I normally shoot raw and do it there to save the highlights!) with the A99, I imagine that the A77 would have similar metering.

Thanks Jamie, I will take a better look to the histogram.

What kind of metering you use? Spot or Center-Weighted for this kind of shots?

Yeah - it takes a while for white balance to catch up too I like EVF most of the time - but with extreme contrasts or quickly changing light it gets in the way a bit!

If possible, I want to increase skills with .jpeg (exposure, WB, strategies to use light, fill-in, reflectors and so on) because I expect this workflow not require a lot of PP in the end, if I have to use the .raw.

I'm sure you'll be fine

aha, I'm not that guy who try to incriminate the equipment at first, if you know what I mean. So time will tell how much I'm bad ( )

- how do you find your reproduction work with it?

For the repro (offset printing for magazines, I mean), I really like the in-camera jpeg, because it makes images very fat in tones gradation and images are sooo rich in all ...

There is no doubt it's possible to achieve that from the .raw but it cost a lot in PP if you work with care (and not easy to find the budget for a small structure). Reason why I want to try it like this, at first.

And the more I use the A77, the more I think it was made for .jpeg and journalism applications. This camera amaze me every days.

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,705Gear list
Like?

Michel J wrote:

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

True Jimmy, after I saw my shots it was to be my plan to get the 50mm F/1,7. I will use it today.

The DOF is tricky with the 100mm to follow the action fast, yes the 85mm should be better (but I didn't have one).

I also noticed that the era of Beercan, B-Beercan and secret HS is over for me, not really suitable for really HQ images with a 24MP APS-C (they are sharp --especially the 28-135mm-- but images seems "cottony" a tad, at the same time, like David Hamilton's rendering a little) and I have a total of 6 copy for all. So it's confirmed to my side.

But I don't want to sell (I want to use these lenses for the rendering and caractere they have, for some situations). And also I'm waiting for the FF generation next...

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

I agree, I simply do not use my minolta lenses on the A77 at all for this reason since upgrading to some newer lenses. They are not bad, just not the best. They do however work fine on the 16 Megapixel cameras I have. I do use the Minolta glass on my a37 but generally in good light. The 50 1.7 is still pretty good indoors. The 50 2.8 is very sharp.

For the A77, I stick to the following lenses primarily: Sony 16 - 50 2.8, Zeiss 50 1.4, Sony 70 - 200 g. Prior to owning these lenses I would stick to minolta primes on the A77, such as the 50 1.7, 24 2.8 and 50 2.8 The primes still seem to be fine, but I think they would be better on a FF camera. My beercans get little use these days, as I always grab for the more expensive glass, in search of sharpness and nicer overall rendering. The Minolta 28 - 105 still gets used on occasion on the A37 when I know I want the flexible middle range reach, i.e. portraits and zoom flexibility.

Still, I am keeping all of my legacy glass for the time being as they may get a new lease on life on FF if I ever get there, and they can be fun to experiment with from time to time. Otherwise I may start selling some stuff to finance a new purchase, but have not decided yet.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 NEX5R Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +18 more
JamieTux
Like?

Michel J wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

Michel J wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

What kind of metering you use? Spot or Center-Weighted?

It doesn't make much difference really  the results come out quite dark - but I don't mind as the files are so clean and it means I get more highlight retention.  I have my own preset in Lightroom that turns the files into my images as I import them

Yeah - it takes a while for white balance to catch up too I like EVF most of the time - but with extreme contrasts or quickly changing light it gets in the way a bit!

I want to increase skills with .jpeg (exposure, WB, strategies to use light, fill in and so on) because I expect this workflow not require a lot of PP if I have to use the .raw.

Yes and no - it's consistency that's key as then you can use your own presets  I had a scary shoot last week where the client was looking at my laptop and got to see all of my images before me - there's still a few minutes of work per image despite the fact they loved them straight away!

aha, I'm not the guy who try to incrimate the equipment, if you know what I mean. So time will tell how much I'm bad ( )

I didn't say you were - I thought that I read that your job was reproduction photography, apologies if I got that wrong though.  It was a genuine question  I think at low ISO the Sony SLTs are pretty much perfect cameras for that job!

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

Michel J
Like?

JamieTux wrote:

Michel J wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

Michel J wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

What kind of metering you use? Spot or Center-Weighted?

It doesn't make much difference really the results come out quite dark - but I don't mind as the files are so clean and it means I get more highlight retention. I have my own preset in Lightroom that turns the files into my images as I import them

I want to increase skills with .jpeg (exposure, WB, strategies to use light, fill in and so on) because I expect this workflow not require a lot of PP if I have to use the .raw.

Yes and no - it's consistency that's key as then you can use your own presets

Yeah man! The answer I'm waited for. Thanks!

I had a scary shoot last week where the client was looking at my laptop and got to see all of my images before me - there's still a few minutes of work per image despite the fact they loved them straight away!

I exactly know what you mean. Thanks a lot! I will think about "concistency", now.After you thinking of it many time, everything becomes more tangible.

aha, I'm not the guy who try to incrimate the equipment, if you know what I mean. So time will tell how much I'm bad ( )

I didn't say you were -

Sure you didn't, it was a just touch of autodérision.

I thought that I read that your job was reproduction photography, apologies if I got that wrong though. It was a genuine question I think at low ISO the Sony SLTs are pretty much perfect cameras for that job!

You thought just right, it is.

But I learn every day something new, that was the point.

And yes, they are pretty much perfect (depending on the operator... lol). For short and for the repro (offset printing for magazines, I mean), I really like the Alpha in-camera jpeg, because it makes images very fat in tones gradation and images are sooo rich in all ...

There is no doubt it's possible to achieve that from the .raw but it cost a lot in PP if you work with care (and not easy to find the budget for a small structure). Reason why I want to try it like this, at first.

And the more I use the A77, the more I think it was made for .jpeg and journalism applications. This camera amaze me every days.

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

Michel J
Like?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, 5 months ago

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Michel J wrote:

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

I agree, I simply do not use my minolta lenses on the A77 at all for this reason since upgrading to some newer lenses. They are not bad, just not the best. They do however work fine on the 16 Megapixel cameras I have. I do use the Minolta glass on my a37 but generally in good light. The 50 1.7 is still pretty good indoors. The 50 2.8 is very sharp.

For the A77, I stick to the following lenses primarily: Sony 16 - 50 2.8, Zeiss 50 1.4, Sony 70 - 200 g. Prior to owning these lenses I would stick to minolta primes on the A77, such as the 50 1.7, 24 2.8 and 50 2.8 The primes still seem to be fine, but I think they would be better on a FF camera. My beercans get little use these days, as I always grab for the more expensive glass, in search of sharpness and nicer overall rendering. The Minolta 28 - 105 still gets used on occasion on the A37 when I know I want the flexible middle range reach, i.e. portraits and zoom flexibility.

Still, I am keeping all of my legacy glass for the time being as they may get a new lease on life on FF if I ever get there, and they can be fun to experiment with from time to time. Otherwise I may start selling some stuff to finance a new purchase, but have not decided yet.

Exactly noticed the same Jimmy. Thanks! Some of the best oldies but goodies Mino, fits well on the A37. Correct.

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

Michel J
Like?
In reply to TomGallopavo, 5 months ago

TomGallopavo wrote:

Lightroom could do wonders on some of these. I know...I have two little kids and take lots of snapshots inside on the fly....

Thanks,

Sure it can. But the goal was to makes everything with the in-camera jpeg (WB settings and so on) with the available light only.

Here with another interpretation of the WB, based on the ambient light:

100% crop:

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349Gear list
Like?

Michel J wrote:

Close your eyes... please ! (100% shot available) WB

Amazing sharp with very good bokeh as well.  But may I ask how you were lighting?  Surprised to see these indoor shots at ISO 100.

www.flickr.com/havoc315

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Michel J
Like?
In reply to havoc315, 5 months ago

havoc315 wrote:

Michel J wrote:

EDIT: 100% crop w/another interpretation of the WB, based on the ambient light:

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,

Amazing sharp with very good bokeh as well.

Thanks !

Surprised to see these indoor shots at ISO 100.

It is precisely because they are at ISO 100 that they are as good, I presume?!?!

Yeap! No secret, I shot on tripod (shutter speed was 1/40 for 100mm) this is the reason. (Only some I mentionned was handheld)

But may I ask how you were lighting?

I get ambiant light only, that was the goal of this first "real life test session" with this brand new A77.

Goal was also to get the best in-camera WB set. Now I can contradict all those kind folks who think that we can do whatever we want in PP shoting raw: it is not true. Then we had huge differences in K degrees from the main scene (and near). Nobody is able to remember what was the ambiant light, only based on a raw file and some shot on a color chart target. It's just impossible. It can work sometimes but not all the time.

My 0,02: today photography it's something very picky (with 24MP sensors APS-C). It's a permanent challenge to get excellence (and I'm far to get it in all situation... I'm learning). I think it's depending on a cumulation of different factors (choosing the good lens for your job, the use of the optimal from the available DR, mean perfect exposure, mean setup of the WB in-the-field, mean finding a good strategy about the available light (ambiant or not), mean specific workflow and so on...). I agree to use .RAW files, but not before having the skills to shoot perfectly with in-camera jpeg. Because that should help a lot, imho.

www.flickr.com/havoc315

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349Gear list
Like?

havoc315 wrote:

Michel J wrote:

EDIT: 100% crop w/another interpretation of the WB, based on the ambient light:

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,

Amazing sharp with very good bokeh as well.

Thanks !

Surprised to see these indoor shots at ISO 100.

It is precisely because they are at ISO 100 that they are as good, I presume?!?!

Yeap! No secret, I shot on tripod (shutter speed was 1/40 for 100mm) this is the reason. (Only some I mentionned was handheld)

But may I ask how you were lighting?

I get ambiant light only, that was the goal of this first "real life test session" with this brand new A77.

Goal was also to get the best in-camera WB set. Now I can contradict all those kind folks who think that we can do whatever we want in PP shoting raw: it is not true. Then we had huge differences in K degrees from the main scene (and near). Nobody is able to remember what was the ambiant light, only based on a raw file and some shot on a color chart target. It's just impossible. It can work sometimes but not all the time.

My 0,02: today photography it's something very picky (with 24MP sensors APS-C). It's a permanent challenge to get excellence (and I'm far to get it in all situation... I'm learning). I think it's depending on a cumulation of different factors (choosing the good lens for your job, the use of the optimal from the available DR, mean perfect exposure, mean setup of the WB in-the-field, mean finding a good strategy about the available light (ambiant or not), mean specific workflow and so on...). I agree to use .RAW files, but not before having the skills to shoot perfectly with in-camera jpeg. Because that should help a lot, imho.

www.flickr.com/havoc315

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

Surprised there was enough light for ISO 100, even at 1/40th of a second.
--
www.flickr.com/havoc315

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads