Started 7 months ago | Discussions
vortex09
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
Re: D4s still lacks wifi and gps!!!
In reply to CFynn, 7 months ago

CFynn wrote:

ChapelThrill23 wrote:

"As for wifi...it's a standard that is always changing. It doesn't make sense to put current wifi into a pro camera that could be used for 10-15 years."

I'm not sure if I buy these excuses. Do people really use cameras for 10-15 years in the digital era? I really doubt many will be using these things four or five generations of camera from now. In terms of the wifi standards changing. That is true to some extent but things tend to be backwards comptable. Devices of mine that are about a decade old still work fine with new wireless networks. They might not be able to work at the speed a new router is capable of but they still work just fine. Certatinly I'd expect a new camera's wifi system to be comptable with what we will be using 3-5 years from now at minimum.

People love to think up excuses to defend Nikon - or whichever their favourite manufacturer happens to be.

Nikon realise they can get people who buy D4 level cameras to pay extra money for expensive add-ons to get features they need - and selling those is profitable to Nikon. I suspect they will likely only move on including these features on this level camera when their main competitor does.

We have a winner. Isn't it obvious? It's the same reason cheap motels have more amenities included than five-star hotels frequented by the rich and business travelers. They know they have a captive audience with fat wallets (in this case, D4s and D800/D600 buyers) and want to take full advantage.

vortex09's gear list:vortex09's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D610 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AlephNull
Contributing MemberPosts: 818Gear list
Like?
In reply to golf1982, 7 months ago

golf1982 wrote:

Still lacks wifi and gps. Basic and features found on years old hundred quid compacts!!!! It concerns me how nikon Just doesn't get it. please can someone tell nikon it is no longer 2005

Both these functions require an antenna. For radio signals.

The body of the D4s is made out of metal. It blocks radio signals.

These functions are better made as external boxes, complete with their antennae.

Is that easy enough to understand?

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D810
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
In reply to AlephNull, 7 months ago

AlephNull wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Still lacks wifi and gps. Basic and features found on years old hundred quid compacts!!!! It concerns me how nikon Just doesn't get it. please can someone tell nikon it is no longer 2005

These functions are better made as external boxes, complete with their antennae.

Not the reason. You can use an eye-fi card with the door closed without a problem.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
In reply to RicAllan, 7 months ago

golf1982 wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

If you want a P&S hundred quid camera... buy one. If you want a swiss army knife, buy one... Many others have tried to make the point regarding the downside (and sometimes difficulty) with certain features low volume cameras so I'll stop there.

i hve not seen a single downside to intigrated wifi or gps. Both are really usefull features that should have been included years ago. the cost of inclusion would be negligable, unless of course you account for the lost money from sales of the massively overpriced Nikon wifi dongle!!

Downside:

1) Two way connection means there's a way in, read TO HACK, the camera

2) As technology creeps along (right, creeps), today's standard soon becomes obsolete. If you buy cameras on the gee whiz factor, this may not be a big drawback but if you but it as a tool...

3) As someone else has already mentioned, if the wi-fi or gps malfunctions, you lose the whole camera during its repair

4) It adds cost some of us DO NOT WANT for features we will not use

5) It adds weight (a little bit here, a little bit there... adds up)

6) It adds size

7) It adds complexity impacting overall reliability

8) It does NOTHING for picture quality

Do you want me to go on....

Ric

-- hide signature --

Ric

1) Shut it off. This is no different than the dongle. Is be far more worried about my phone or computer than my camera.

Competitive pressure would take care of the size and weight concerns. There is plenty of opportunity to miniaturize components to make up for any added size or weight. Nikon would spend the R&D money to make this happen if they felt it was demanded by customers or if perhaps Canon adds it first to the 1Dx successor. Leica added GPS to the S body and there is no added size or weight or any drawback whatsoever.

As far as reliability concerns go, if you have a wifi or GPS failure, you wouldn't have to lose the camera to service unless you require those features. It sounds like you don't so why be concerned about their presence?

The cost of adding wifi or GPS would be negligible and would only require a price increase if Nikon wants to maintain equal margins. The D4s cost me more than the D4 did even without these features. Competition could take care of price concerns but probably won't since Nikon and Canon seem so conservative with updates and don't need a price war at this level of camera.

The standards argument is probably the weakest given that wifi chips remain backwards compatible and these cameras are refreshed like clockwork every several years. This reminds me of people complaining about new memory card standards. At this level of camera with so much effort put into speed and processing I can't imagine putting in my ten year old CF cards to bottleneck the whole thing.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +1 more
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
In reply to Pandaemas, 7 months ago

Pandaemas wrote:

While I understand that adding wifi and GPS seems blatantly easy and inexpensive, but I also understand that they are more "gimmick" to me than a real use for cameras.

While others have stated there are certain rules and regulations against having wifi and gps in a device,

please tell me where wifi is banned? even north korea have wifi??

to me they are extra features that are not neccessary and may break down and cause the camera to function properly.

how about autofocus. To some that is not necessary and could break down. i mean it is not "necessary "for taking pictures

the lcd light also might break, as might the lcd, should we remove these. Switches are probably most likely to break and the camera is covered with them, perhapse we should remove them. Actually an F1 is really all we "need" to take pictures. All other features are superflous, are you suggesting these should be ditched? Or is wifi somehow special?

Just my 2c..
--
Instagram: NormanTJ
www.memorialucis.blogspot.com

golf1982
Like?

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

If you want a P&S hundred quid camera... buy one. If you want a swiss army knife, buy one... Many others have tried to make the point regarding the downside (and sometimes difficulty) with certain features low volume cameras so I'll stop there.

i hve not seen a single downside to intigrated wifi or gps. Both are really usefull features that should have been included years ago. the cost of inclusion would be negligable, unless of course you account for the lost money from sales of the massively overpriced Nikon wifi dongle!!

Downside:

2) As technology creeps along (right, creeps), today's standard soon becomes obsolete. If you buy cameras on the gee whiz factor, this may not be a big drawback but if you but it as a tool...

3) As someone else has already mentioned, if the wi-fi or gps malfunctions, you lose the whole camera during its repair

4) It adds cost some of us DO NOT WANT for features we will not us

6) It adds size

Ric

-- hide signature --

Ric

i suggest you try the Nikon F. It is an excellent camera, takes excellent pictures and based on your comments above i think is the perfect camera for you.

AksCT
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
In reply to AlephNull, 7 months ago

Canon 6D has Magnesium Alloy body, with WIFI and GPS. While electronics for WIFI/GPS is within the body, antenna are based on external surface.

Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,573Gear list
Like?
Re: yes GPS is pointless
In reply to mgblack74, 7 months ago

mgblack74 wrote:

Does that happen often to you? Mistaking Alaska for India? You might need more than GPS my friend. I am amazed that you've been to these places, taken pictures there and, if not for GPS, you would have forgotten where you took them.
--
"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

It is amazing to realize that in this day and age, there are people with limited comprehension and enthusiasm to step beyond their 1mile living radius, while questioning those who have traveled across the world multiple times.

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
RicAllan
Contributing MemberPosts: 703Gear list
Like?
In reply to LD_50, 7 months ago

LD_50 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Downside:

6) It adds size

Ric

-- hide signature --

Ric

1) Shut it off. This is no different than the dongle. Is be far more worried about my phone or computer than my camera.

Competitive pressure would take care of the size and weight concerns. There is plenty of opportunity to miniaturize components to make up for any added size or weight. Nikon would spend the R&D money to make this happen if they felt it was demanded by customers or if perhaps Canon adds it first to the 1Dx successor. Leica added GPS to the S body and there is no added size or weight or any drawback whatsoever.

As far as reliability concerns go, if you have a wifi or GPS failure, you wouldn't have to lose the camera to service unless you require those features. It sounds like you don't so why be concerned about their presence?

The cost of adding wifi or GPS would be negligible and would only require a price increase if Nikon wants to maintain equal margins. The D4s cost me more than the D4 did even without these features. Competition could take care of price concerns but probably won't since Nikon and Canon seem so conservative with updates and don't need a price war at this level of camera.

The standards argument is probably the weakest given that wifi chips remain backwards compatible and these cameras are refreshed like clockwork every several years. This reminds me of people complaining about new memory card standards. At this level of camera with so much effort put into speed and processing I can't imagine putting in my ten year old CF cards to bottleneck the whole thing.

You argue in circles...  if I don't use them, i wouldn't send it in for repair...  but I still PAY.  Shut it off... like the NSA doesn't spy through our turned off pc's...  You overestimate the number of units produced to bring down size and cost, and it's still bigger and more costly than if it's not there.  And on and on...

They'll make what they feel the market wants, so far...  I win, you lose.

-- hide signature --

Ric

RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4s
RicAllan
Contributing MemberPosts: 703Gear list
Like?

golf1982 wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Downside:

6) It adds size

Ric

-- hide signature --

Ric

i suggest you try the Nikon F. It is an excellent camera, takes excellent pictures and based on your comments above i think is the perfect camera for you.

Quite a few of the features currently in the product DO relate to recording images...  but then you may be too busy obsessing over features only useful to a few to actually take pictures.

A statement was made that there were no reasons not to add those features. Nowhere did I insinuate that NO ONE would use them... only state that there ARE reasons some don't want them and reasons they might not be being added to this particuilar product.

Where the sun don't shine.

-- hide signature --

Ric

RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4s
LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?

LD_50 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Downside:

6) It adds size

Ric

-- hide signature --

Ric

You argue in circles...  if I don't use them, i wouldn't send it in for repair...  but I still PAY.  Shut it off... like the NSA doesn't spy through our turned off pc's...  You overestimate the number of units produced to bring down size and cost, and it's still bigger and more costly than if it's not there.  And on and on...

They'll make what they feel the market wants, so far...  I win, you lose.

-- hide signature --

Ric

No circles. If something fails that you don't use, it doesn't cause you any problems. This isn't untested or unproven technology with questionable reliability.

To your NSA point, there is no point in going down that road. You've already convinced yourself of the hacking threat for your DSLR.

The wifi and GPS equipment would add nothing noticeable in size or weight to a Dx sized body. This equipment is already in cameras and smaller devices and could be shared across Nikon's line. The market has already spoken and Nikon has created custom solutions that are more expensive and have more drawbacks for the user than would integrated ones.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +1 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?

RicAllan wrote:

6) It adds size

Cost, size, and weight? According to a BBC interview with one of the people who invented GPS, good GPS chips now cost about $1 due to their inclusion in millions of smart phones - I'd guess the cost of wi-fi chips has similarly dropped. They are pretty small too

Now how much are Nikon charging for their external "dongles"?

Yes, given the cost of the parts, what they are getting for these must add up.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
In reply to LD_50, 7 months ago

LD_50 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Downside:

6) It adds size

Ric

-- hide signature --

Ric

+1

Size, weight and cost concerns have already been taken care of due to the inclusion of wi-fi and GPS in millions and millions of smartphones. Good rear LCDs / OLEDs are now much cheaper for the same reason.

If camera manufacturers had to develop these things themselves, then the cost would have been high - but in this case all the hard work and major costs of development have been done for them.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
golf1982
Like?

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Downside:

6) It adds size

Ric

-- hide signature --

Ric

Quite a few of the features currently in the product DO relate to recording images... but then you may be too busy obsessing over features only useful to a few to actually take pictures.

A statement was made that there were no reasons not to add those features. Nowhere did I insinuate that NO ONE would use them... only state that there ARE reasons some don't want them and reasons they might not be being added to this particuilar product.

Where the sun don't shine.

-- hide signature --

Ric

Sorry but your comments just show a complete lack of understanding of this and other technology. read up on it. Seriously, wifi and gps are not things to fear, if you allowed yourself to look into the potential, you would surprise yourself as to their uses.

foto2021
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?

golf1982 wrote:

Still lacks wifi and gps. Basic and features found on years old hundred quid compacts!!!!

WiFi and GPS are features that amateurs love but professionals don't need. The D4s is a professional camera, self-evidently not one you should be considering.

If I may coin a phrase, it concerns me how amateurs just don't get it. Please can someone tell them that the Nikon D4s is not aimed at them.

-- hide signature --

Colin

golf1982
Like?
In reply to foto2021, 7 months ago

foto2021 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Still lacks wifi and gps. Basic and features found on years old hundred quid compacts!!!!

WiFi and GPS are features that amateurs love but professionals don't need. The D4s is a professional camera, self-evidently not one you should be considering.

If I may coin a phrase, it concerns me how amateurs just don't get it. Please can someone tell them that the Nikon D4s is not aimed at them.

-- hide signature --

Colin

Wow you really appear to dislike ametures!!! Grow up

If it were not for ametures buying the d4 it would cost a whole lot more

also many pro's want wifi and gps, hence the sales of the overpriced, poor solution that are dongles.

Jim Keye
Senior MemberPosts: 1,585
Like?

golf1982 wrote:

foto2021 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Colin

So it should be geared towards everybody? Should they have put scene modes in there for you too?

also many pro's want wifi and gps, hence the sales of the overpriced, poor solution that are dongles.

You wouldn't happen to have any sales figures there, would you? How many professional are buying those dongles?

WiFi and GPS have their place. The problem is that they also add cost and complexity. Camera designs are a tradeoff/balance. Some of us are already p!ssed about how many resources go into video features instead of still features. But on the whole, Nikon seems to think more pros don't use wifi and GPS than do. I'm inclined to agree with them.

golf1982
Like?
In reply to Jim Keye, 7 months ago

Jim Keye wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

foto2021 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Colin

So it should be geared towards everybody? Should they have put scene modes in there for you too?

my comment relates to the vitriol of the previous commenter towards ametures.

You wouldn't happen to have any sales figures there, would you? How many professional are buying those dongles?

WiFi and GPS have their place. The problem is that they also add cost and complexity.

sorry but this comment suggests your knowledge of technology is lacking.

Camera designs are a tradeoff/balance. Some of us are already p!ssed about how many resources go into video features instead of still features. But on the whole, Nikon seems to think more pros don't use wifi and GPS than do. I'm inclined to agree with them

no nikon don't include them because they can flog overpriced dongles for a huge markup. Sad but true.

Jack Zhang
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?

GPS: I don't get it why a Pro body must have GPS. It just eat up your battery.

WIFI: The good thing is D4s has LAN port. In stead of expensive WT5, you could just have a portable router which cost less that 30 dollars. it has build in power like 4000-10000 mah and it will add wifi ability on your d4 or d4s.

-- hide signature --

The only way to do great work is to love what you do.

falconeyes
Contributing MemberPosts: 938
Like?
In reply to mgblack74, 7 months ago

I think the major complaint still stands: Nikon failing to innovate.

I mean, with a body as huge and bulky as the D4/D4s, and given its price tag, it is rather shocking to see that no modular approach for expansion is available: like little nifty weathersealed bays in the spacious cabinet to hold all of Remote trigger, Studio flash trigger, Wireless tether, GPS or whatever a third party would innovate.

-- hide signature --

Falk Lumo

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads