D4s still lacks wifi and gps!!!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,573Gear list
Like?
yes GPS is pointless
In reply to mgblack74, 7 months ago

GPS is mostly pointless for folks that do not step out of their 1mile permanent living radius.

oh for them i wonder what the point of having D4 is either

Edit: shots added for example. Thanks to GPS on my DSLR's I am able to know exactly where I shot this in

Canyon Lands area

Where I shot this in Glaciar National Park

Where I took this in Alaska while camping in Denali NP

Where I took this in Badlands

Or in India

oh wait.. I don't know where I took this.. since I did not have my GPS

anyway.. having a GPS helps, especially when the info is in the exif

mgblack74 wrote:

I don't understand why you need GPS? We've figured out where we are by maps for many hundreds of years.

Wifi? Consumer models refresh every year, wifi tech progresses with it. The little units that come in the D5300 or accessories for the D3200 & D5200 are anemic at best. Meant to upload 24mp DX photos to your phone or tablet one every 5 seconds. These are too slow for the data that the D4/s needs to put into the webisphere.

Consider also that if the wifi part built in a D4s fizzles, then what? Send it in for repair for a part of the camera unrelated to taking pictures? Sure you can send it in during down time but how many events or gigs have gone by without the ability to send files wirelessly? The external wifi devices make sense for this class of camera (Dprobody). If it dies, you resort to plan B... LAN. You can keep shooting and just get another wifi unit without loss of time without the camera.

If someone is going to have a D4s for a few years it is possible that wifi tech evolves to become faster and smaller independant of the body it's meant to work with. I'd rather upgrade wifi thingamees than the whole cameras. As it is now we upgrade a body to get different resolution and low light performance properties. Imagine the uproar when a D5s comes out with improved internal wifi capability. People are bemoaning the D4s processor increase which is pretty integral to the photographic experience. I.e. It's the 2nd most important part of the camera. Imagine the uproar when a $15 tech boost means a $1000 price increase for a successive model.

Besides. Wifi built in is just something else the NSA can tap into.
--
"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mgblack74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,600Gear list
Like?
Re: D4s still lacks wifi and gps!!!
In reply to cluna, 7 months ago

cluna wrote:

mgblack74 wrote:

I don't understand why you need GPS? We've figured out where we are by maps for many hundreds of years

GPS, extra metadata make sorting easier. In 40 years you would rather not ask, when and where did I take this picture

Is it a problem now? Old time film photographers forgetting where the Grand Canyon is? I think in 40 years our biggest problem will be just the inability to read the NEF or JPEG files let alone not remembering where they were taken.

Wifi?

With pro level wifi as it should be, I wouldn't complain about not having to use a cable.

What is wrong with wanting it? Nothing

-C

-- hide signature --

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +7 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
In reply to Josh152, 7 months ago

Josh152 wrote:

LOL a dongle can actually be better since it allows you to not only choose if you want to have wifi or not for a particular situation but also has the potential benefit of being able to buy the next, improved version of the dongle instead have having to buy a whole new camera to get the updates to the wifi.

Wi Fi and GPS chips in manufacturing quantities are now *very* cheap.

Nikon's add on external "dongles" are expensive for what they are - and in use they prevent the use of other accessories that use the same port.

In some situations these dongles  are also prone to being knocked damaged - and damaging the connector on the camera as well

If people want to add improved external devices, Nikon could always provide  an option to disable the internal device and use an external one  - so there is no benefit in not having these features built-in.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Like?
In reply to MattiH, 7 months ago

MattiH wrote:

Afak gps and wifi would require the body to be partially made of plastic, like 6D and 70D.

Not the actual body - perhaps a small chamber or recess containing the GPS and wi-fi antenna - but that would not need to affect the integrity of the body. It's not as if the camera doesn't already have non-metal flaps and covers.

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Like?
In reply to Gordon Ripley, 7 months ago

Gordon Ripley wrote:

Forgot to mention that you can get an APP cheap for your Iphone that will also give you the GPS coordinates of your location...

Of course you can - but it is an added hassle  (a bit less if the camera had wi-fi and the camera  could use it to grab the GPS co-ordinates from the phone)

An advantage of in-built GPS is that the camera can add compass bearing and attitude info along with the GPS co-ordinates. This is not possible when getting the co-ordinates from a phone.

bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 14,567Gear list
Like?
And why not?
In reply to golf1982, 7 months ago

golf1982 wrote:

Still lacks wifi and gps. Basic and features found on years old hundred quid compacts!!!! It concerns me how nikon Just doesn't get it. please can someone tell nikon it is no longer 2005

And why not? IT IS THE VERY SAME CAMERA that it was before. Only slight refinements have been included. Get some knowledge of Nikon history.

-- hide signature --

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. --H.G. Wells

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
mgblack74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,600Gear list
Like?
Re: yes GPS is pointless
In reply to Devendra, 7 months ago

Does that happen often to you? Mistaking Alaska for India? You might need more than GPS my friend. I am amazed that you've been to these places, taken pictures there and, if not for GPS, you would have forgotten where you took them.
--

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +7 more
Jack Simpson
Forum ProPosts: 10,967Gear list
Like?
Re: D4s still lacks wifi and gps!!! Well, I'm just glad that ….

…. you didn't complain about the lack of a built-in flash

Cheers,

Jack

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax K-r Pentax Q7 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?

mgblack74 wrote:

cluna wrote:

mgblack74 wrote:

I don't understand why you need GPS? We've figured out where we are by maps for many hundreds of years

GPS, extra metadata make sorting easier. In 40 years you would rather not ask, when and where did I take this picture

Is it a problem now? Old time film photographers forgetting where the Grand Canyon is? I think in 40 years our biggest problem will be just the inability to read the NEF or JPEG files let alone not remembering where they were taken.

how is that a reason not to include a feature??

unfortunately many cannot see the benefit of a new feature until they have it In their hands.

Wifi?

With pro level wifi as it should be, I wouldn't complain about not having to use a cable.

What is wrong with wanting it? Nothing

-C

-- hide signature --

golf1982
Like?
Re: yes GPS is pointless

mgblack74 wrote:

Does that happen often to you? Mistaking Alaska for India? You might need more than GPS my friend. I am amazed that you've been to these places, taken pictures there and, if not for GPS, you would have forgotten where you took them.
--

You really don't want the feature do you. Fortunately if it ever comes you can turn it off. For everyone else, unfortunately  right now they cant turn it on.

try an iphone. I can go to a map and find every photo i have taken from one location, instantly. This is massively useful when trying to find a Picture and saves me time. A massively useful feature then. Sadly i cannot do this for my thousands of carefully organised DSLR shots.

golf1982
Like?
Re: And why not?
In reply to bikinchris, 7 months ago

bikinchris wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Still lacks wifi and gps. Basic and features found on years old hundred quid compacts!!!! It concerns me how nikon Just doesn't get it. please can someone tell nikon it is no longer 2005

And why not? IT IS THE VERY SAME CAMERA

is caps intended to imply you are shouting??  Why?

that it was before. Only slight refinements have been included. Get some knowledge of Nikon history.

wow you seem quite annoyed by this?

incidentally don't call over half a stop of high ISO, a different CPU and board, SRAW, improved focus, and a host of video features slight. I actually consider the d3s was a bigger update than the D4.

In any case why would adding wifi and gps not be added at a 2 year s update? Its pretty simple to do, and should have been their since before the D3

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. --H.G. Wells

George Payne Jr
Contributing MemberPosts: 549Gear list
Like?

Someone is ALWAYS gonna have something to complain about. So while everyone complains, I'm gonna go out and shoot with mine!

D4s, D4, D3, D800, D610
Nikon 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 VRII
Nikon 28 1.8G, 35 1.4G, 85 1.4G, 105 2.8 VR
4-SB900, 1-SB910
Eyes like a shutter, mind like a lens!

George Payne Jr's gear list:George Payne Jr's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290Gear list
Like?
Re: And why not?

golf1982 wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

And why not? IT IS THE VERY SAME CAMERA

is caps intended to imply you are shouting?? Why?

that it was before. Only slight refinements have been included. Get some knowledge of Nikon history.

wow you seem quite annoyed by this?

incidentally don't call over half a stop of high ISO, a different CPU and board, SRAW, improved focus, and a host of video features slight. I actually consider the d3s was a bigger update than the D4.

I agree that the D3s was a pretty significant performance upgrade over the D3 - but mainly in 3 areas: new sensor with 1+ stop better high ISO performance, sensor shake cleaning, and addition of video (subpar 720p, though).  So one could say that the D4s appears to perhaps even be a bigger upgrade over the D4 than the D3s was over the D3 - at least on paper; time will tell when we get feedback from actual users).  The D4s adds:

• New sensor with 1 stop standard ISO range improvement (same as D3s on paper) and 1 extra hi stop
  • New AF mode and improved AF algorithms for faster acquisition and tracking
  • New Image Processor with significant processing power upgrade
  • Higher capacity battery
  • Reworked ergonomics of body (grip, joysticks, vertical thumb grip)
  • Improved mirror mechanism - less slap and less blackout time
  • Improved AWB and spot WB
  • Faster burst rate (with better AF performance in bursts) and improved buffer
  • Faster ethernet port
  • New sRAW option
  • Significant improvements to video/audio
  • Ability to change autofocus modes via lens buttons on the super teles

So pretty decent list of upgrades versus the D4 if any of those areas of improvement are important to you...

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Jack Simpson
Forum ProPosts: 10,967Gear list
Like?
In reply to George Payne Jr, 7 months ago

George Payne Jr wrote:

Someone is ALWAYS gonna have something to complain about. So while everyone complains,

Now there's your one(1) picture being worth ...

I'm gonna go out and shoot with mine!

…. and a thousand words  Good stuff George

Cheers,

Jack

D4s, D4, D3, D800, D610
Nikon 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 VRII
Nikon 28 1.8G, 35 1.4G, 85 1.4G, 105 2.8 VR
4-SB900, 1-SB910
Eyes like a shutter, mind like a lens!

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax K-r Pentax Q7 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
vortex09
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?

golf1982 wrote:

I'm with you; it's asinine that either of these "features" are excluded from any DSLR released over the past several years. Unless it's a bare-bones $300 model where every corner is cut in the name of cost -- which, ironically, are the only Nikon models getting these features!

The ignorance in this thread is stunning. GPS is only for "girls posting selfies to Facebook?" How about easy geotagging of landscape photos shot in remote areas? Because Nikon declined to include an incredibly cheap GPS chip in the D610 (couldn't they have at least used it as a good cover for the fact this model is just a non-defective D600?), I now have to record my GPS track to a file on my phone, then try to sync the track file with photo timestamps later. Thanks, Nikon. And last I checked, I'm not shooting "girlie selfies" or concerned about posting to social media from the field.

As for wi-fi, that's more debatable given some of the issues raised here. Still, it ought to be included. I shot with a Canon 6D up until a couple months ago, and the ability to remote control with a smartphone was very handy in certain situations.

vortex09's gear list:vortex09's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D610 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
Joe Tam
Contributing MemberPosts: 515Gear list
Like?
In reply to vortex09, 7 months ago

Sad thing is my $400 GoPro Hero 3+ & $750 Panasonic GX-7 have built-in Wi-FI and my D4 $5500+ does not.  I played with my friend's 6d with the iPhone app and the feature comes very handy in many situations.

I have used the Go Pro and GX-7 on a Shur line paint pole with Kacey pole adaptor(use loctite btw) in many situations where I needed a higher perspective.  being able to get a feed of the camera sensor allows precise framing.  very useful.

GPS would be another bonus feature.  I would love to have Lightroom mapping feature show all the photos based on location from GPS data embedded in all my images.

vortex09 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

I'm with you; it's asinine that either of these "features" are excluded from any DSLR released over the past several years. Unless it's a bare-bones $300 model where every corner is cut in the name of cost -- which, ironically, are the only Nikon models getting these features!

The ignorance in this thread is stunning. GPS is only for "girls posting selfies to Facebook?" How about easy geotagging of landscape photos shot in remote areas? Because Nikon declined to include an incredibly cheap GPS chip in the D610 (couldn't they have at least used it as a good cover for the fact this model is just a non-defective D600?), I now have to record my GPS track to a file on my phone, then try to sync the track file with photo timestamps later. Thanks, Nikon. And last I checked, I'm not shooting "girlie selfies" or concerned about posting to social media from the field.

As for wi-fi, that's more debatable given some of the issues raised here. Still, it ought to be included. I shot with a Canon 6D up until a couple months ago, and the ability to remote control with a smartphone was very handy in certain situations.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +17 more
Pandaemas
Contributing MemberPosts: 554
Like?

While I understand that adding wifi and GPS seems blatantly easy and inexpensive, but I also understand that they are more "gimmick" to me than a real use for cameras.

While others have stated there are certain rules and regulations against having wifi and gps in a device, to me they are extra features that are not neccessary and may break down and cause the camera to function properly.

Just my 2c..
--
Instagram: NormanTJ
www.memorialucis.blogspot.com

CFynn
Like?
In reply to Pandaemas, 7 months ago

Pandaemas wrote:

While I understand that adding wifi and GPS seems blatantly easy and inexpensive, but I also understand that they are more "gimmick" to me than a real use for cameras.

While others have stated there are certain rules and regulations against having wifi and gps in a device, to me they are extra features that are not neccessary and may break down and cause the camera to function properly.

Both these technologies have reached a state where they are very reliable - much more so than many other components in a DSLR.

They should be even more reliable when built into a camera than they are when mounted externally where they can easily get knocked and need to rely on external cables and connectors

Do you really think it would be beyond the capabilities of Nikon engineers to design cameras in such a way that if either of these components failed it would not effect the normal functioning of all the other features of the camera?

CFynn
Like?
In reply to ChapelThrill23, 7 months ago

ChapelThrill23 wrote:

"As for wifi...it's a standard that is always changing. It doesn't make sense to put current wifi into a pro camera that could be used for 10-15 years."

I'm not sure if I buy these excuses. Do people really use cameras for 10-15 years in the digital era? I really doubt many will be using these things four or five generations of camera from now. In terms of the wifi standards changing. That is true to some extent but things tend to be backwards comptable. Devices of mine that are about a decade old still work fine with new wireless networks. They might not be able to work at the speed a new router is capable of but they still work just fine. Certatinly I'd expect a new camera's wifi system to be comptable with what we will be using 3-5 years from now at minimum.

People love to think up excuses to defend Nikon - or whichever their favourite manufacturer happens to be.

Nikon realise they can get people who buy D4 level cameras to pay extra money for expensive add-ons to get features they need - and selling those is profitable to Nikon. I suspect they will likely only move on including these features on this level camera when their main competitor does.

RicAllan
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?

golf1982 wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

If you want a P&S hundred quid camera... buy one. If you want a swiss army knife, buy one... Many others have tried to make the point regarding the downside (and sometimes difficulty) with certain features low volume cameras so I'll stop there.

i hve not seen a single downside to intigrated wifi or gps. Both are really usefull features that should have been included years ago. the cost of inclusion would be negligable, unless of course you account for the lost money from sales of the massively overpriced Nikon wifi dongle!!

Downside:

1) Two way connection means there's a way in, read TO HACK, the camera

2) As technology creeps along (right, creeps), today's standard soon becomes obsolete. If you buy cameras on the gee whiz factor, this may not be a big drawback but if you but it as a tool...

3) As someone else has already mentioned, if the wi-fi or gps malfunctions, you lose the whole camera during its repair

4) It adds cost some of us DO NOT WANT for features we will not use

5) It adds weight (a little bit here, a little bit there... adds up)

6) It adds size

7) It adds complexity impacting overall reliability

8) It does NOTHING for picture quality

Do you want me to go on....

Ric

-- hide signature --

Ric

RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4s
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads