D4s still lacks wifi and gps!!!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Gordon Ripley
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Re: D4s still lacks wifi and gps!!!
In reply to golf1982, 8 months ago

Here's an idea, go to GOOGLE MAPS and zoom WAY in so that you can see exactly where you were standing to take a picture.  Right Click and select "What is here" and you will have your GPS coordinates shown in the upper left hand corner of the screen.  Caveat: Not always useful if, for example, you were in the woods somewhere and can't recall exactly where you were but then maybe there wouldn't have been any satellites available anyway!  Just a thought...

Gordon

Gordon Ripley's gear list:Gordon Ripley's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gordon Ripley
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gordon Ripley, 8 months ago

Forgot to mention that you can get an APP cheap for your Iphone that will also give you the GPS coordinates of your location...

Gordon Ripley's gear list:Gordon Ripley's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,238
Like?

golf1982 wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Still lacks wifi and gps. Basic and features found on years old hundred quid compacts!!!! It concerns me how nikon Just doesn't get it. please can someone tell nikon it is no longer 2005

Plenty of connectivity options exist for top-tier pro cameras. Professional photographers have been sending digital image files by wire and wireless for a number of years now. Nikon has marketed wireless file transmitters for these cameras, at least since the D2-series.

a wifi dongle is totally unacceptable in 2014. It should have been unacceptable 5years ago on any Dslr let alone the nikon flagship.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

LOL a dongle can actually be better since it allows you to not only choose if you want to have wifi or not for a particular situation but also has the potential benefit of being able to buy the next, improved version of the dongle instead have having to buy a whole new camera to get the updates to the wifi.

tomoo1000
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834
Like?
In reply to calson, 8 months ago

calson wrote:

And still lacks an autofocus system on par with the Canon 1D X (or Mark IV for that matter). It also still use two different types of flash cards which is unnecessary and a PITA.

funniest thing I've read all year a 1Dx owner would kill for the low light AF capabilities of a D4/s and as for the 1div  well lets just say it was all most as good as a d2x/h/s.

Phil.

-- hide signature --

NPS Member
One's life is not measured by the two dates upon your tombstone, but how you lived the dash in between them

Josh152
Like?
In reply to tomoo1000, 8 months ago

tomoo1000 wrote:

calson wrote:

And still lacks an autofocus system on par with the Canon 1D X (or Mark IV for that matter). It also still use two different types of flash cards which is unnecessary and a PITA.

funniest thing I've read all year a 1Dx owner would kill for the low light AF capabilities of a D4/s and as for the 1div well lets just say it was all most as good as a d2x/h/s.

Phil.

-- hide signature --

NPS Member
One's life is not measured by the two dates upon your tombstone, but how you lived the dash in between them

Yeah people forget that the 45 point system canon used before the newest cameras they have now was pretty much universally considered being behind the Nikon 51 point system in many ways.  In fact the AF is one of reasons Canon lost  a lot of users to the D3/D3s and why Nikon has the market share for sports shooters that it does now.  That said now that Canon has come out with their new system I'm sure Nikon will have a new AF system for the D5 that will be just as good if not better.  They keep leap frogging each other in this way so it is really pointless to worry about anyway.

ChapelThrill23
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to Rservello, 8 months ago

"As for wifi...it's a standard that is always changing. It doesn't make sense to put current wifi into a pro camera that could be used for 10-15 years."

I'm not sure if I buy these excuses. Do people really use cameras for 10-15 years in the digital era?  I really doubt many will be using these things four or five generations of camera from now. In terms of the wifi standards changing. That is true to some extent but things tend to be backwards comptable. Devices of mine that are about a decade old still work fine with new wireless networks. They might not be able to work at the speed a new router is capable of but they still work just fine. Certatinly I'd expect a new camera's wifi system to be comptable with what we will be using 3-5 years from now at minimum.

golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
In reply to Josh152, 8 months ago

Josh152 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Still lacks wifi and gps. Basic and features found on years old hundred quid compacts!!!! It concerns me how nikon Just doesn't get it. please can someone tell nikon it is no longer 2005

Plenty of connectivity options exist for top-tier pro cameras. Professional photographers have been sending digital image files by wire and wireless for a number of years now. Nikon has marketed wireless file transmitters for these cameras, at least since the D2-series.

a wifi dongle is totally unacceptable in 2014. It should have been unacceptable 5years ago on any Dslr let alone the nikon flagship.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

LOL a dongle can actually be better since it allows you to not only choose if you want to have wifi or not for a particular situation but also has the potential benefit of being able to buy the next, improved version of the dongle instead have having to buy a whole new camera to get the updates to the wifi.

you can turn wifi off. A dongle is costly, adds bulk to an already bulky camera and is liable to get knocked and damage it and the camera. It gets in the way ahen carrying and can be easily lost. it also exposes the port to the elements. All this and it has been built into my phone since 2007!!!

as for improvements have nikon ever updated the dongle?? Wifi dosent speed up that fast and older vertions are compatable.

If wifi were standard for dslr's people would also put more effort into designing inovitave companion apps that woukd do things most cannot invisige right now.

I cannot fathom why people try to defend nikon leavink a key feature off a camera of this cost so they can flog a vastly overpriced poor alternitive solution.

In technology companies have to inovate and keep up to stay relevent. Nikon should be on the cutting edge in this regard like they were with the digital switch. Its a shame because their bodies are generally excelent.

golf1982
Like?
In reply to ChapelThrill23, 8 months ago

ChapelThrill23 wrote:

"As for wifi...it's a standard that is always changing. It doesn't make sense to put current wifi into a pro camera that could be used for 10-15 years."

I'm not sure if I buy these excuses. Do people really use cameras for 10-15 years in the digital era? I really doubt many will be using these things four or five generations of camera from now. In terms of the wifi standards changing. That is true to some extent but things tend to be backwards comptable. Devices of mine that are about a decade old still work fine with new wireless networks. They might not be able to work at the speed a new router is capable of but they still work just fine. Certatinly I'd expect a new camera's wifi system to be comptable with what we will be using 3-5 years from now at minimum.

wifi is so ubiquitous now Backwards comparability will remain. sadly the real reason is that nikon can overcharge for a terrible solution to something that should be integrated.

MattiH
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to calson, 8 months ago

Afak gps and wifi would require the body to be partially made of plastic, like 6D and 70D.

MayaTlab0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,023
Like?
Re: D4s still lacks wifi and gps!!
In reply to LD_50, 8 months ago

LD_50 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

This camera is designed basically for the working professional who captures action subjects. The design has had input from many professionals within the fields it will be used for. They don't need wifi and gps and they didn't want it. Its a working mostly still life camera.

Larry

"People don't know what they want until you show it to them"

Steve Jobs

perhaps nikon should use at a few less focus groups

That quote is appropriate for Nikon's non-pro offerings but I would prefer they listen to their customers MORE often with the Dx and prosumer cameras.

I too believe that Nikon doesn't listen as much as they'd like to pretend it, otherwise they'd have revamped their custom memory banks a long time ago for example.

Still, Wifi and GPS could very well be useful.

golf1982
Like?
Re: FGS, It's not your instagram camera
In reply to wasserball, 8 months ago

wasserball wrote:

It's not your girlie camera where you want to send your selfie around the world. It's designed for the pro on assignment. If you want to send a picture from a war zone, you can use a point and shoot.

many just cannot see massive potential benefits for pro's. It is a good job the camera companies did not listen to this attitude when they changed from film to digital.

RicAllan
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?

golf1982 wrote:

If you want a P&S hundred quid camera... buy one.  If you want a swiss army knife, buy one... Many others have tried to make the point regarding the downside (and sometimes difficulty) with certain features low volume cameras so I'll stop there.

-- hide signature --

Ric

RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4s
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rservello, 8 months ago

Rservello wrote:

GPS isn't really a needed feature...so the added cost and additional components to break down is one reason to not include it in a pro camera.

Cost? Good GPS chips cost  < $5 in manufacturing quantities - and they shouldn't  break down.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
Re: I have read
In reply to Josh152, 8 months ago

Josh152 wrote:

That some events won't let in in with a wifi device and that there are different laws and regulations for wifi and gps in different countries and so Nikon would have to make different versions of the bodies for different countries including some that dont' have the GPS and Wifi due to import restrictions. Because of the comparative low volume sales, it may not be profitable for Nikon to have to make different versions like that.

Is this true or a myth? The GPS and Wi-Fi in my phone work in every country - I don't need to get a different phone when I travel. Do Nikon sell different versions of their add-on GPS and wi-fi units in different countries?

How do Canon manage to include these things on the lowly 6D?

As for events, would the security guards at events know that your camera had built in wi-fi? If you turned it off, it would also be undetectable.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
golf1982
Like?
In reply to LD_50, 8 months ago

LD_50 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

This camera is designed basically for the working professional who captures action subjects. The design has had input from many professionals within the fields it will be used for. They don't need wifi and gps and they didn't want it. Its a working mostly still life camera.

Larry

Steve Jobs

That quote is appropriate for Nikon's non-pro offerings but I would prefer they listen to their customers MORE often with the Dx and prosumer cameras.

Even for Apple the quote isn't very appropriate for their recent professional products (Final Cut, Aperture, Mac Pro).

The problem is most people when asked what they want will say more of the same, faster, better dr, better high iso... These are obvious iterations. , most people cannot imagine or see the benefit of an entirely new feature, unless it is shown to them in detail, so if you rely on focus groups too much you will never innovate and only ever iterate.

this thread is a perfect example with many people wary unable to understand the Benefit of WIFI, and giving the oddest reasons for no wanting it in cameras.

nikon will need to innovate to remain competative.

Joe Tam
Contributing MemberPosts: 520Gear list
Like?
Re: Dongles and WFTs
In reply to Rexgig0, 8 months ago

My work has taken me to many events large and small since I went digital in 1999. I have never had an issue with wifi transmission devices being prohibited even in courts.

Nikon has absolutely no reason to leave out Wifi except to gouge customers of $559+ for the wt-5. Kinda like their battery chamber covers for $29.

And I'm sure whatever wifi chip they put in eventually will not be obsolete during the lifespan of the camera.

my panasonic Gx7 has wifi and i have used it a lot to transferring images to ipad/iphone for captioning/transmission.  Wifi is very useful in a camera and is a benefit to a photographer's workflow.

I am not surprised Nikon did not include it in the D4s.  Nikon doesn't surprise me anymore.  They are timid.

No, not everywhere. Have you never been to a location that prohibits all forms of mobile communication devices? I work in the criminal justice system, so the first places that come to mind are prisons, jails, and detention areas. Some judges will prohibit such devices in their courtrooms. If I were to be tasked with approaching a suspicious device, that might be explosive, to get some images, I would leave my mobile phones behind, at a safe distance, and leave my portable radio switched to the "off" position. I am not (yet!) prohibited from having photography equipment with radio communication, but it would violate protocol, in most cases, for me to transmit images wirelessly, if these images were captured in the line of duty.

I am more familiar with Canon products; the Canon 6D, which normally has wi-fi, is available without it, and the 600EX-RT Speedlite, which has radio triggering, is also available as the 600EX, sans radio triggering.

I have traveled very little internationally, to date, so have not encountered places where radio equipment is prohibited by law, but have read about such places.

-- hide signature --

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +17 more
golf1982
Like?
In reply to RicAllan, 8 months ago

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

If you want a P&S hundred quid camera... buy one. If you want a swiss army knife, buy one... Many others have tried to make the point regarding the downside (and sometimes difficulty) with certain features low volume cameras so I'll stop there.

i hve not seen a single downside to intigrated wifi or gps. Both are really usefull features that should have been included years ago. the cost of inclusion would be negligable, unless of course you account for the lost money from sales of the massively overpriced Nikon wifi dongle!!

LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?

golf1982 wrote:

LD_50 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

Larry

Steve Jobs

Even for Apple the quote isn't very appropriate for their recent professional products (Final Cut, Aperture, Mac Pro).

The problem is most people when asked what they want will say more of the same, faster, better dr, better high iso... These are obvious iterations. , most people cannot imagine or see the benefit of an entirely new feature, unless it is shown to them in detail, so if you rely on focus groups too much you will never innovate and only ever iterate.

this thread is a perfect example with many people wary unable to understand the Benefit of WIFI, and giving the oddest reasons for no wanting it in cameras.

nikon will need to innovate to remain competative.

I agree that Nikon needs to innovate to remain competitive, but not in the pro space right now. The D4 or D4s are very competitive with the Canon 1Dx. I don't think the target audience for these cameras is looking for large changes.

The D800 is not matched in Canon's offerings, though I wish it were so that Nikon would be forced to innovate on its successor.

I've owned a D4, and will probably now pickup a D4s, but what I would really like is a 24-30 MP camera in the D4s body that shoots around 8 fps in full resolution. I would like integrated wi-fi and GPS (not sure why so many argue against these features--see Olympus OMD-EM1 for a similar camera to the D4 that includes a lot of useful features) as well as a radio flash triggering system. I'd prefer dual XQD slots and I'd like to see a single button that would quickly toggle between settings banks (replacing the QUAL button would work).

Overall I agree that Nikon (and Canon) need to push forward with new features in their DSLR lines in order to stay ahead of the market moving away from these types of camera systems.

It would impress me greatly for Nikon to take a chance on big changes to the D5 series, perhaps with a conservative upgrade along with a more forward thinking one which would include a hybrid OVF/EVF as well as automatic AF tuning.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +1 more
Josh152
Like?
Re: I have read
In reply to CFynn, 8 months ago

CFynn wrote:

Josh152 wrote:

That some events won't let in in with a wifi device and that there are different laws and regulations for wifi and gps in different countries and so Nikon would have to make different versions of the bodies for different countries including some that dont' have the GPS and Wifi due to import restrictions. Because of the comparative low volume sales, it may not be profitable for Nikon to have to make different versions like that.

Is this true or a myth? The GPS and Wi-Fi in my phone work in every country - I don't need to get a different phone when I travel. Do Nikon sell different versions of their add-on GPS and wi-fi units in different countries?

How do Canon manage to include these things on the lowly 6D?

As for events, would the security guards at events know that your camera had built in wi-fi? If you turned it off, it would also be undetectable.

Canon makes a 6D without wifi so it can't be a myth. Since the "lowly 6D" is cheaper therefore having a higher sales volume, and has very stiff competition from the D610 it maybe worth have the different versions for that particular camera. As far as phones go they are probably subject to different regulations made specifically for them. You could maybe sneak a wifi camera in the certain events but for other, more sensitive commercial and government things, that won't fly at all.

It could also be that the all metal construction of the D4 makes having built in wifi more difficult. Either way Nikon clearly made a very conscious choice not to put wifi in the D4. I am sure they have a good reason for doing so as there is clearly demand for such a feature and it would give them one up on Canon if they did. Speaking of Canon who have been putting wifi in more cameras and for longer than Nikon has they didn't put it in the 1DX either. Which makes me think there is a good reason why these types of cameras don't have it.

cluna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,403
Like?
In reply to mgblack74, 8 months ago

mgblack74 wrote:

I don't understand why you need GPS? We've figured out where we are by maps for many hundreds of years

GPS, extra metadata make sorting easier. In 40 years you would rather not ask, when and where did I take this picture

Wifi?

With pro level wifi as it should be, I wouldn't complain about not having to use a cable.

What is wrong with wanting it? Nothing

-C

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads