What's the big deal with the retro thing?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
John Rausch
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
What's the big deal with the retro thing?
9 months ago

Steam powered next? Wind-up maybe? I don't get it. Seriously, I'm not trolling, I want to know the appeal.

-- hide signature --

John Rausch

John Rausch's gear list:John Rausch's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
Segaman
Regular MemberPosts: 336Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the big deal with the retro thing?
In reply to John Rausch, 9 months ago

People like to live in the past.
It does look better than a dslr.
Its smaller.
And it looks cool for some people.

To me, its all these above hahahaha

Segaman's gear list:Segaman's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?

Seriously, what is a camera supposed to look like?

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
seukel
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?
In reply to Segaman, 9 months ago

It has the function ... Know what I mean?
--
Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
Oscar Wilde

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

Some people like and prefer it. It is as simple as that. I am one of those people as are many on this forum, at least until the model T came along.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 6,347
Like?

John Rausch wrote:

Steam powered next? Wind-up maybe? I don't get it. Seriously, I'm not trolling, I want to know the appeal.

-- hide signature --

John Rausch

People like me find it much easier to use - especially on a tripod. I guess we just grew up with knobs and dials.

Les Lammers
Like?
In reply to 57even, 9 months ago

The less buried in a menu the better IMHO. Taking a photo should be simple.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,733Gear list
Like?

John Rausch wrote:

-- hide signature --

John Rausch

Since most of the people with disposable money are, ehm, older, this is solely aimed to invoke warm and fuzzy memories in that generation. Who ever is buying gets the nod. Wait 30 years and the retro cameras will look like iphone. And everyone will say how retro it is.

There are not many buyers left who still remember steam powered cars so I dont think cameras will go that way either.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Conrad567
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
In reply to Segaman, 9 months ago

I come from the days of film.  I just have trouble remembering which unmarked button I set for ISO which dial to turn for my aperture, or shutter speed.  Sometimes I feel like navigating all of the menus is like trying to play a video game and I keep losing.  I just want to look down at the camera and say, "Oh yeah that's right, the shutter speed is here and the ISO is there and the F-stop is right there on the lens where I left it.  It makes shooting on the fly WAAAAYYYYY easier....IMO.

Conrad567's gear list:Conrad567's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +8 more
Savas Kyprianides
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,396
Like?

We've watched since its inception as digital cameras were streamlined to the extent that it was like handling a bar of soap with tiny, inset buttons. The retro, to me, is a spring back to a form factor akin to mechanical means that took into consideration the shape of human hands and the benefit of direct manipulation.

Conrad567
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
In reply to LaFonte, 9 months ago

I am in my 40's and have spent about half of my "picture taking" life shooting with Digital and half before that with the film slr's.  It is more than just nostalgia.  For those of us who have experienced both, we long for the simplicity of the analog dials and knobs.  The endless menus of the modern era cameras are just exhausting and take the fun out of shooting.

Conrad567's gear list:Conrad567's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +8 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,711Gear list
Like?

Fuji form follows function.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 9 months ago

Yes.

4054's gear list:4054's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
John Rausch
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?

Can anyone tell me how we can have custom settings for the important settings that can be recalled or operate a camera from a PC or APP if it has dials like the X-T1?

John Rausch

John Rausch's gear list:John Rausch's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
Les Lammers
Like?

No, and *I* don't have a need for it. But I don't see why it could not be done. One type of camera does not work for all and we have choices...a good thing.

Les Lammers
Like?
In reply to Savas Kyprianides, 9 months ago

Yeah buddy! That soap was slippery..not for me.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,532Gear list
Like?

To me a modern DSLR is bulky and ugly.  Some smaller cameras lack external controls, which i like.  I gave both retro and i guess modern if you call a Ricoh modern.  It is about what feels good in my hands.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 310
Like?

I'll take you at your word that you're not trolling, so I'd answer in two ways:

1. Dedicated dials instead of unmarked wheels are more intuitive, always available even when the camera is off, and make the camera easier and more fun to use.
  2. Blobby black plastic cameras are boring, soulless appliances. They're efficient, but so is a Ford Taurus. If you like that kind of car, that's fine. I just feel sorry for your loss and for the experiences you are missing.

So yes, as Luminous Landscape just pointed out a couple of days ago, the X-T1 may lose the ability to save a bunch of settings as a custom group. Boo-hoo. Mommy won't wipe my face clean any more.

I think the word retro is leading to you misunderstanding the appeal. It's not just that the cameras look nice and feel good (though those things are true) but it's that dials and aperture rings are actually a great way to control a multitude of settings.

If you don't understand, that's okay. There are lots of black blobs out there to choose from.

John Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,077Gear list
Like?

-- hide signature --

John Rausch

The Fuji cameras incorporate very modern technology, so I find references to steam power etc. rather miss the point.
--
john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,592
Like?
In reply to LaFonte, 9 months ago

LaFonte wrote:

John Rausch wrote:

-- hide signature --

John Rausch

Since most of the people with disposable money are, ehm, older, this is solely aimed to invoke warm and fuzzy memories in that generation. Who ever is buying gets the nod. Wait 30 years and the retro cameras will look like iphone. And everyone will say how retro it is.

There are not many buyers left who still remember steam powered cars so I dont think cameras will go that way either.

I think this is part of it, but retro has always had a bit of appeal to younger folks as well. Classic cars, vintage clothes, watches, guitars... Most things pass into history never to be revitalized. I don't expect to see cassettes or tube TV's come into fashion since they are clearly inferior to what modern technology has given us. On the other hand certain things have lived on for one reason or another. It could be just style, but there's often a functional aspect that modern tech has lost or is unable to replicate. Vinyl records still sound better than any of the common digital formats, fountain pens vary the weight of your lines, and Fuji's retro cameras give the user tactile controls over buttons and menus.

The think about retro is that not everyone is supposed to get it. That's part of what makes it cool. Why drive a classic car over a modern day one? Sure, the newest Mustang may blow a 64' out of the water when it comes to performance, features, reliability, comfort...., but which one will attract more girls?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads