Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Jennyhappy2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,291Gear list
Like?
Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X
6 months ago

So who is debating between the Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X?  Seems like the winner may be who gets to the market first, but the P8000 will likely be smaller with a faster lens.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,554
Like?
Re: Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X
In reply to Jennyhappy2, 6 months ago

G1X has a viewfinder.  P8000 doesn't.  G1X wins.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jennyhappy2
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, 6 months ago

LOL, not that is funny...the viewfinder is OPTIONAL and looks hideous.  Though I am not surprised Canon, like Nikon, chose to a built it finder as it is reflective of what most consumers are looking for, also helping to reduce the overall size.

toomanycanons wrote:

G1X has a viewfinder. P8000 doesn't. G1X wins.

toomanycanons
Like?

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

LOL, not that is funny...the viewfinder is OPTIONAL and looks hideous. Though I am not surprised Canon, like Nikon, chose to a built it finder as it is reflective of what most consumers are looking for, also helping to reduce the overall size.

toomanycanons wrote:

It's true (I think) the P8000 has an optional viewfinder.  The G1X OVF is built-in.  So---I'm looking for the funny part.

Jennyhappy2
Like?
Re: Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X Mark II

The G1X Mark II has an optional EVF-DC1 electronic viewfinder.

Something tells me you are referring to the old G1X which will be coming obsolete.  This comparison is both of the upcoming models, see original message.

toomanycanons wrote:

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

LOL, not that is funny...the viewfinder is OPTIONAL and looks hideous. Though I am not surprised Canon, like Nikon, chose to a built it finder as it is reflective of what most consumers are looking for, also helping to reduce the overall size.

toomanycanons wrote:

It's true (I think) the P8000 has an optional viewfinder. The G1X OVF is built-in. So---I'm looking for the funny part.

toomanycanons
Like?
Re: Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X Mark II

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

The G1X Mark II has an optional EVF-DC1 electronic viewfinder.

Something tells me you are referring to the old G1X which will be coming obsolete. This comparison is both of the upcoming models, see original message.

toomanycanons wrote:

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

It's true (I think) the P8000 has an optional viewfinder. The G1X OVF is built-in. So---I'm looking for the funny part.

You're right, I'm referring to the G1X which is the camera your title mentions and your first reply mentions.  So---we're talking about the G1X II?  I get it now.

wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,575
Like?
Will be interesting to compare them ...

if they turn out to be so similar as rumors suggest.

I'd just hope for the rather unlikely possibility that the P8000 could be weather sealed - the lens specs from ultra-wide to portrait telephoto on both would be great for an outdoors walkabout camera.

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Michel Cojan
Regular MemberPosts: 467Gear list
Like?

toomanycanons wrote:

Hmmm... what makes you affirm the P8000 has no (E)VF? The camera is still a "rumour" (or am I missing something?).

Michel Cojan's gear list:Michel Cojan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800
panamforeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

So who is debating between the Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X? Seems like the winner may be who gets to the market first, but the P8000 will likely be smaller with a faster lens.

And the source of this info? I know you were right about the G1XII, and I give you that. But when you say it (P8000) will "likely" be smaller with a faster lens........Is that a guess, or a wish?

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
In reply to panamforeman, 6 months ago

panamforeman wrote:

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

So who is debating between the Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X? Seems like the winner may be who gets to the market first, but the P8000 will likely be smaller with a faster lens.

And the source of this info? I know you were right about the G1XII, and I give you that. But when you say it (P8000) will "likely" be smaller with a faster lens........Is that a guess, or a wish?

This is the info regarding the faster lens, if true: http://nikonrumors.com/category/nikon-p8000/

"The lens could be even faster than previously reported: f/1.8 – 3.0 Maximum shutter speed: 1/8000 sec. The P8000 will use a new 1″ Aptina sensor Expeed 3 imaging processor Magnesium body Comfortable grip similar to the Nikon P5100 and P6000 models"

So far, the P8000 features and specs are looking better than the G1X MkII, but the most important thing is how the IQ compares. That is them main criteria for me, although if the features and specs on the P8000 are MUCH better and IQ is within +-5% (or so) of the G1X MkII, I just may get the P8000 anyway.

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

richardrap
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?

Why to debate on something that just does not exist yet but rumours !!!???
Look further and debate on P9000 vs GX2

richardrap's gear list:richardrap's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P60 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Pentax K100D +2 more
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,014Gear list
Like?

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

The (rumored) 1/8000 shutter speed would certainly be an advantage (no need to drop below f:8 in broad daylight).  But G1x's sensor is significantly larger.

In 35mm terms:

G1X II's lens is equivalent to 24mm f:3.6 - 120mm f:7.

P8000's lens is equivalent to 24mm f:4.9 - 120mm f:8.

So far, we don't have enough information to compare the two.  AF speed, body size and weather sealing (or lack thereof) could make a big difference.  I wonder which one will have more DR?

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
mallbuedel
Contributing MemberPosts: 921Gear list
Like?
In reply to BorisK1, 6 months ago

BorisK1 wrote:

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

The (rumored) 1/8000 shutter speed would certainly be an advantage (no need to drop below f:8 in broad daylight). But G1x's sensor is significantly larger.

In 35mm terms:

So far, we don't have enough information to compare the two. AF speed, body size and weather sealing (or lack thereof) could make a big difference. I wonder which one will have more DR?

Your f/stop calculations are a bit strange IMO.

I'm sitting at my desk and light from the window falls on it. Do you think the lit area gets darker if I use a smaller desk?

BorisK1
Like?
In reply to mallbuedel, 6 months ago

mallbuedel wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

The (rumored) 1/8000 shutter speed would certainly be an advantage (no need to drop below f:8 in broad daylight). But G1x's sensor is significantly larger.

In 35mm terms:

So far, we don't have enough information to compare the two. AF speed, body size and weather sealing (or lack thereof) could make a big difference. I wonder which one will have more DR?

I'm sitting at my desk and light from the window falls on it. Do you think the lit area gets darker if I use a smaller desk?

I think, if brightness stays the same, a smaller desk will collect less total light.

My calculations are quite simple:

35mm Equivalent aperture = SQRT((36*24)/(SensorWidth*SensorHeight))*Aperture

For P800, SensorWidth = 13.2mm, SensorHeight = 8.8mm, Aperture is from 1.8 to 3.0

For G1X, SensorWidth = 18.7mm, SensorHeight = 14mm, Aperture is from 2.0 to 3.9

Plug the numbers into a calculator of your choice, you'll get the same result.

Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Mark9473
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?

BorisK1 wrote:

mallbuedel wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

In 35mm terms:

I think, if brightness stays the same, a smaller desk will collect less total light.

The equivalent f/stop only gives information on depth of field. It's not really needed as you can get to the same information by using actual lens focal length (not 35mm equivalent) together with actual f/stop.

It can be an indication of comparative noise levels if the sensor technology is the same, which is not the case here. This is the "total light" argument but it is flawed in case of different sensor technology.

It has no relation to the f/stop as it determines exposure; for this the actual f/stop as indicated on the lens is what matters.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus SZ-10 +1 more
BorisK1
Like?
In reply to Mark9473, 6 months ago

Mark9473 wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

mallbuedel wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

In 35mm terms:

I think, if brightness stays the same, a smaller desk will collect less total light.

The equivalent f/stop only gives information on depth of field. It's not really needed as you can get to the same information by using actual lens focal length (not 35mm equivalent) together with actual f/stop.

It can be an indication of comparative noise levels if the sensor technology is the same, which is not the case here. This is the "total light" argument but it is flawed in case of different sensor technology.

It has no relation to the f/stop as it determines exposure; for this the actual f/stop as indicated on the lens is what matters.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Both cameras use the latest model sensors.  Granted, they use different technology, but I'd be surprised if their noise levels are different by more than 1/2 stop or so.

Still, you're quite right in that the light sensitivity gives only a ballpark estimate.  We won't know the exact relationships until both cameras are tested.

CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,392
Like?
Re: Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X mkII

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

If rumored specs are true, I would probably choose the Nikon for smaller size, if it's not slow performing.

Both have less than competitive sensors, based on rumors. Canon technology is way behind Sony and even Fuji.

Bottom line: I am glad the camera industry is still making models like these. I prefer cameras with built-in lenses.

mallbuedel
Contributing MemberPosts: 921Gear list
Like?

BorisK1 wrote:

-snip-

We aren't speaking of total light here, but of the amount of light falling on a certain surface. The amount of light available  with a certain aperture and same conditions  has the same intensity per square unit on whatever surface you choose,  big or small desk, 1" sensor  or a 1/1.7 one.

Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?

BorisK1 wrote:

Both cameras use the latest model sensors. Granted, they use different technology, but I'd be surprised if their noise levels are different by more than 1/2 stop or so.

Ummm... No, both cameras do not use "the latest model sensors". The G1X2 uses a 2 year old, very low efficiency sensor, same as in the G1X. The P8000 will be getting a much more technically advanced senor, like the new 1" Aptina sensor. Now, if you read the specs on that, it puts the G1X2 sensor to shame in every aspect besides size. If this is the new Aptina sensor announced a new 14MP 4k 1" sensor the P8000 will be getting, it may be as good (or better than) the Sony 1" sensor, the video sure is!

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/04/20/will-the-nikon-1-v3-use-the-new-aptina-14mp-4k-sensor.aspx/

It can output full 14MP resolution at 80fps and is capable of shooting 1080p at 120 fps and 4k video at 60 fps. If the still IQ is anything like the video quality, it just may make G1X2 obsolete before it even hits the shelves

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

BorisK1
Like?
In reply to mallbuedel, 6 months ago

mallbuedel wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

-snip-

We aren't speaking of total light here, but of the amount of light falling on a certain surface.

Not "We". You are talking about the amount of light per unit area.  Which is determined by the actual aperture value.

I was talking about the overall amount of light.  Which is what you get when you take the light per unit area and multiply it by the area in question.

The amount of light available with a certain aperture and same conditions has the same intensity per square unit on whatever surface you choose, big or small desk, 1" sensor or a 1/1.7 one.

Agreed.

Now, to get a ballpark comparison of the amount of noise you'd get from the two cameras, you need to think in terms of light gathering capacity.  If the sensors' S/N ratios are equal, the sensor that gets more total signal will show less noise.  For the same amount of light per unit area, a sensor with twice the area gets twice the total amount of light, and hence, will have half the noise in the final image.

All I did was compare the two cameras' light gathering capacity.

Of course, I have no way of knowing the sensors' S/N ratios.  Until that information becomes available, this ballpark comparison is probably the best we can do.  We do know that both cameras are released within the same timeframe, so they should both be using fairly equivalent sensor tech, so there shouldn't be a huge difference in S/N ratios.  But this is just speculation on my part.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads