Nikon and D600 dust and oil

Started 9 months ago | Questions
Nikonman46
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon and D600 dust and oil
9 months ago

I have had a D600 since July last year and recently it has shown signs of the Dust/Oil problems

having investigated what others had experienced with the same camera and what success the had had with Nikon and serving I decided to see what Nikon said in the US they would service and change any defective parts.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/01/27/nikon-is-replacing-some-d600-cameras-with-new-d610-models.aspx/

I have emailed Nikon UK but their response was very guarded and simply told me to use a blower on the mirror, they made some excuse that the D610 was not a replacement but a new camera due to the demand of a faster shutter speed! No mention that the shutter mechanism had been changed to get rid of the problem in the D600!

Not satisfied with this I phoned them and was told that i needed to send my camera back to them and they would inspect it, no mention of what they would do to rectify the fault.

Stymied again, Nikon seems not to want to admit the fault at all. Not much good if I decide to px it for a latter model sometime:-x

So packing my unit off to them tomorrow and see what happens

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600 Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,458Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon and D600 dust and oil
In reply to Nikonman46, 9 months ago

Nikonman46 wrote:

I have had a D600 since July last year and recently it has shown signs of the Dust/Oil problems

having investigated what others had experienced with the same camera and what success the had had with Nikon and serving I decided to see what Nikon said in the US they would service and change any defective parts.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/01/27/nikon-is-replacing-some-d600-cameras-with-new-d610-models.aspx/

I have emailed Nikon UK but their response was very guarded and simply told me to use a blower on the mirror, they made some excuse that the D610 was not a replacement but a new camera due to the demand of a faster shutter speed! No mention that the shutter mechanism had been changed to get rid of the problem in the D600!

Not satisfied with this I phoned them and was told that i needed to send my camera back to them and they would inspect it, no mention of what they would do to rectify the fault.

Stymied again, Nikon seems not to want to admit the fault at all. Not much good if I decide to px it for a latter model sometime:-x

So packing my unit off to them tomorrow and see what happens

You're a little behind on the news. Nikon has basically given a free shutter replacement warranty to ANYONE with a D600. But if it happens to only be dust, why not just blow it off with a blower?

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?

all ILCs get debris on their sensors eventually, since they aren't closed, sealed systems. so the appearance of "dust" after 6-8 months of use is not necessarily confirmation that you have the dreaded "dust issue." it simply means that you should learn how to clean your camera's sensor, for it will certainly need cleaning at some point.

as the other poster pointed out, however, nikon has released a service advisory within the past week or so acknowledging the problem with oil on some percentage of its D600 cameras (although the exact numbers are not known, not all D600s exhibit the problem). so you can send yours in and have the shutter mechanism replaced and the sensor and other affected parts cleaned -- whether in or out of warranty, and regardless of whether the camera is one of the affected units.

that doesn't mean you won't ever see "dust," but at least it'll be your own dust, and not nikon's.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,729
Like?

I didn't click on this thread.

Humours Dip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352
Like?

What makes you think it has oil or excess dust? Some dust is normal. Get a blower and a sensor brush.

Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,597
Like?
In reply to Humours Dip, 9 months ago

Humours Dip wrote:

What makes you think it has oil or excess dust? Some dust is normal. Get a blower and a sensor brush.

Not the best advice to be handing out. The issues are separate; dust, oil, or dust and oil.

Some people are not recognizing that their dirty sensor has oil spots, perhaps mixed in with dust, or just stand alone oil.

Using a blower for the first attempts, fine with me. Going from blower to sensor brush will smear the oil on the sensor and ruin the brush IF the problem has oil as a component of the problem.

Better to 1) try to blow it off, 2) then do a wet cleaning, then 3) use the brush if particles remain....probably dust in that case.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,644Gear list
Like?

I thought the recall for shutter replacement was worldwide. I took my D600 in to Nikon Canada a few days before the recall notice, just for routine service, no dust/oil issues mentioned, and they called me to say there will be a delay because they will be replacing my shutter. In fact, I will be going there on Friday to pick up my D4 and if the D600 is not ready, they said it will be shipped back to me free of charge.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,239Gear list
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, 9 months ago

toomanycanons wrote:

I didn't click on this thread.

I didn't give you a thumb-up.

-- hide signature --

Ivan

Razboi
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

Having been 'Royally' screwed by Nikon and their 'Dishonesty' in the distant past re: faulty resistors in their F2 AS cameras (of which i owned two) I was delighted to see them Finally acknowledge and respond honorably to the D600 defect -Most likely thanks to the power of the internet where they could not 'disappear' the 'zillion' complaints made by enraged customers and continue to outright lie> I personally called Nikon USA and Nikon Canada last January 2013 as (despite 'our' past) I had contemplated purchasing a D600. Both head offices claimed to have heard nothing!about the issue even though every top camera store I had called in North America had told me that their Nikon reps had discussed the defect with them. For the record, I met a former Nikon technician who told me that Nikon had ordered them to never acknowledge the faulty resistor in the F2AS adding that this was the reason Nikon came out with the F3 so quickly. The techie also laughed guiltily while recounting how they changed one customer's resistor 8 times ,never acknowledging the lie. I swear that this is Exactly what happened to me so I'd be adamant about getting the camera fixed at no charge.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads