Has anyone bought a D800E in the past couple of months?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
systemguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?
Has anyone bought a D800E in the past couple of months?
6 months ago

Hello

Please excuse the question:

I am thinking about buying a D800E.  I have the D800.

I would like to know if the left focus point issue still exists, or if time has enabled Nikon to eliminate this with the newer cameras entirely.

I have not been following this but after my search in the forum, my impression is the the issue still exists.

Am I right?

Thx.

systemguy's gear list:systemguy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Nikon D800 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +16 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
essemmlee
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
Re: Has anyone bought a D800E in the past couple of months?
In reply to systemguy, 6 months ago

I have a 2 month old D800E. No issues at all. Sharper than a very sharp thing on both sides, top and bottom, and in the middle.

A very pleasant camera.

Steve website: www.cameragearforsale.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dgc4rter
Regular MemberPosts: 475Gear list
Like?

I bought a D800E back in October last year. Absolutely fine! All focus points are bang on.

dgc4rter's gear list:dgc4rter's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
AxelsHumanDad2
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

I bought my D800E in October. I was never satisfied with what it produced compared to my D300 using the same 24-70 f/2.8. The images were soft overall, requiring more sharpening applied in ViewNX; +10 for D800E vs. +4 for my D300. I couldn't get it dialed in to where I was satisfied. Figuring I bought myself an expensive backup to my D300 I sent the `800 and the 24-70 to Nikon last month. Three weeks later(including shipping both ways) it is back and according to my primitive, preliminary tests it looks spot on now. I never went into it to check for the left focus issue as mine was off everywhere.

~Mike~

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,023Gear list
Like?

from B & H.  Most lenses 0 AF fine tune.   Outside points equal, but very slightly softer than the center.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

jsr4522
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?

Purchased one in December with no left-side AF issues. Sharp and accurate focus on all focus points.

systemguy wrote:

Hello

Please excuse the question:

I am thinking about buying a D800E. I have the D800.

I would like to know if the left focus point issue still exists, or if time has enabled Nikon to eliminate this with the newer cameras entirely.

I have not been following this but after my search in the forum, my impression is the the issue still exists.

Am I right?

Thx.

LFBera
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
In reply to AxelsHumanDad2, 6 months ago

AxelsHumanDad2 wrote:

I bought my D800E in October. I was never satisfied with what it produced compared to my D300 using the same 24-70 f/2.8. The images were soft overall, requiring more sharpening applied in ViewNX; +10 for D800E vs. +4 for my D300. I couldn't get it dialed in to where I was satisfied. Figuring I bought myself an expensive backup to my D300 I sent the `800 and the 24-70 to Nikon last month. Three weeks later(including shipping both ways) it is back and according to my primitive, preliminary tests it looks spot on now. I never went into it to check for the left focus issue as mine was off everywhere.

~Mike~

Since you´ve sent both your D800 and your 24-70mm to Nikon, have you checked if they´ve adjusted the AF fine tuning for this lens?

-- hide signature --
 LFBera's gear list:LFBera's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,481Gear list
Like?
Re: What left focus problem?

Having looked at 169 images posted on this forum claiming a D800 focus issue none tested to a standard which confirmed a focus issue!

169 to nil seems to indicate while the odd camera might have an issue there seems little evidence on this forum it is common. If it exists, the lack of pictures showing it exists seems to indicate it is rare.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
We all aspire to take great photos but may always achieve this perhaps due to a lack of application, a lack of knowledge, or even a lack of talent.
The best photographers probably work quite hard at their photography.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
onasj
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 6 months ago

There was absolutely a very real left focus defect with some, not all, D800s and D800Es.  I ordered a D800E last June from Amazon and it had the problem.  This is not a subtle defect-- put three focus test charts up on a wall, align your camera on a tripod, and focus on each chart using left edge, middle, and right edge focus points.  The first D800E I received had a very obvious problem with only the left edge focal point.  So obvious that you could see it easily when the photo was displayed to fit a standard 1920x1200 computer monitor.  The middle and right focus points were perfect.

I returned that D800E to Amazon and they kindly shipped me two new D800Es.  Both of those were perfect.

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Having looked at 169 images posted on this forum claiming a D800 focus issue none tested to a standard which confirmed a focus issue!

169 to nil seems to indicate while the odd camera might have an issue there seems little evidence on this forum it is common. If it exists, the lack of pictures showing it exists seems to indicate it is rare.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
We all aspire to take great photos but may always achieve this perhaps due to a lack of application, a lack of knowledge, or even a lack of talent.
The best photographers probably work quite hard at their photography.

Emil Varadi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047Gear list
Like?
Bought it last month from Adorama...

... works like a breeze.

Emil Varadi's gear list:Emil Varadi's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Ricoh GR Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Marc Heijligers
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 6 months ago

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

This assertion lacks fundamental logic or experimental data for all the 169 cases; we can simply ignore it.

The left focus problem in the meantime has been acknowledged by Nikon. Maybe you should rewind your clock, and return to the current time zone.

AxelsHumanDad2
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to LFBera, 6 months ago

LFBera wrote:

AxelsHumanDad2 wrote:

~Mike~

Since you´ve sent both your D800 and your 24-70mm to Nikon, have you checked if they´ve adjusted the AF fine tuning for this lens?

The AF fine tune in the menu is zero. Before sending it back, using Focal software and my own D.I.Y. tests I was all over from 0 to -20 in the menu. I never could repeat the same results.

It bugged me because the lens was super sharp on my D300 but less than stellar on my D800E. I'm convinced in my case, the camera was soft. I haven't tried the lens on my D300 since it returned from Nikon. I'm curious to see if the images from the cam-lens combo have changed at all.

I am happy with my D800E now.

For the cam: RPR Mirror Box, ADJ Auto Focus Operation, ADJ Mirror Angle, CHK a bunch of other things, General Check & Clean.

For the lens: ADJ Auto Focus Operation, CKD Resolution, CKD Exposure, CKD Infinity Focus, CKD Focusing Mechanism, CKD Zooming Mechanism, CKD Aperture Lever, General Check & Clean

~Mike~

Humours Dip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352
Like?
In reply to Marc Heijligers, 6 months ago

Marc Heijligers wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

This assertion lacks fundamental logic or experimental data for all the 169 cases; we can simply ignore it.

The left focus problem in the meantime has been acknowledged by Nikon. Maybe you should rewind your clock, and return to the current time zone.

He also denies that some D600s had oil, believing that most reports were false. His views can be summarised as 'Nikon are always right, most users are ignorant and misguided, except himself, and a few others'.

Marc Heijligers
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
In reply to Humours Dip, 6 months ago

Humours Dip wrote:

Marc Heijligers wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

His views can be summarised as 'Nikon are always right, most users are ignorant and misguided, except himself, and a few others'.

If we have to believe Leonard, the focus system of Nikon cameras would be completely useless. I would therefore say he heavily criticizes Nikon instead. Nikon confirms left-focus and dust problems. Leonard hasn't reached the level to identify those problems.

His only "defense" is a reference to conceptual pictures in a manual, not being able to deliver technical argumentation or test material to validate his assertions to deny all tests shown here.

I wouldn't connect him to the Nikon brand. It's more of a religious thing than based on facts, and more about himself.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads