Olympus OM-D E-M10 or Sony A6000?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Jkim7
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
Olympus OM-D E-M10 or Sony A6000?
9 months ago

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between these two mirror less cameras that have recently been announced. I'll be buying the camera mid-april and I was wondering which camera you guys would buy. I'm a beginner photographer so I thought I'd ask reddit.

Both seem to be at the exact same price point. The A6000 seems to have better specs while I guess the M43 system has more lens? I heard that E mount has enough lens and a wide variety also that there will be everything I need at similar prices to M43 lens, with similar quality.

Thank you!!

Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kiichiro
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M10 or Sony A6000?
In reply to Jkim7, 9 months ago
  • Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between these two mirror less cameras that have recently been announced. I'll be buying the camera mid-april and I was wondering which camera you guys would buy. I'm a beginner photographer so I thought I'd ask reddit.

Both seem to be at the exact same price point. The A6000 seems to have better specs while I guess the M43 system has more lens? I heard that E mount has enough lens and a wide variety also that there will be everything I need at similar prices to M43 lens, with similar quality.

Thank you!!

I would get the a6000 since the em10 didn't get the 5 axis ibis. Also the a6000 can use one of the best lenses ever made the FE55 f1.8.  On the a6000 it'll be around 82mm which is a good range for portraits and can also be used once you upgrade to a full frame camera.

I I really like the 5axis OMDs and if you want to save some money you can buy used OMD EM5 and used 25mm f1.4. They can be bought for around $800.

Kiichiro's gear list:Kiichiro's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
plasnu
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thank you!!

Yes, it is always a good idea that to choose lens first, then body. If you don't know what lens to get, probably M43 is a better choice.

Zeisschen
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?

M43 has more lenses but many of them are at the same focal length (same lens from Olympus or Panasonic). However E-mount now has around 25 lenses throughout all ranges that are important for amateurs.

I'd suggest you to compare the cameras with your favourite lens in your hand in the store.

Zeisschen's gear list:Zeisschen's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +4 more
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thank you!!

First, Both cameras are capable of taking great photos, be wary of anyone who says differently.  As far as lenses, both systems have more lenses then you'll likely ever be able to afford, or want to carry around with you.

Olympus has a very nice selection of Primes: 12/2, 17/1.8, 25/1.8, 45/1.8, 47/1.8 (Panasonic has a few nice ones as well).  Olympus zooms (except the 9-18 and new 12-40/2.8) aren't my favorite, but they're OK.  The only real issue I have with Olympus is that they don't have an electronic (first curtain) shutter like the Sony Nex/Axxxx series do.  I nearly bought an E-PL1 but the shutter shock issue at many shutter speeds prevented me from doing so.  While I haven't looked into the newer Pens yet, I know that they have a 2 sec delay option, but that won't work for me in some instances.  Regardless, I would probably try before you buy.  Take a series of shots at 1/80, 1/100, 1/125, 1/160, 1/200 sec and see how much (if any) blur you can see, take the shots with the lenses you'd likely uses now and purchase within 1-2yrs time.

As for the Sony, this is what I'll probably end up getting.  (I was also looking at the Fuji X-A1.)  Sony also make some very good lenses, 10-18/4, 16-70/4, SEL18-200 (my copy was great), 24-70/4, 70-200/4 (probably), 24/1.8, 35/1.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.8, 55/1.8.  The 20/2.8, 55-210 are pretty good too.  The only weakness IMO is the kit lenses, 16-50 and 18-55, I wish they were a little better, but for most things they'll probably be fine - at least until you upgrade.

The choice, ultimately will have to be yours; I like the Sony, they're the first Mirror-less ILC maker that has come up with my ideal walk-around lens (16-70/4), I just wish it was a little cheaper.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Ttriple
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to NowHearThis, 9 months ago

NowHearThis wrote:

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thank you!!

First, Both cameras are capable of taking great photos, be wary of anyone who says differently. As far as lenses, both systems have more lenses then you'll likely ever be able to afford, or want to carry around with you.

Olympus has a very nice selection of Primes: 12/2, 17/1.8, 25/1.8, 45/1.8, 47/1.8 (Panasonic has a few nice ones as well). Olympus zooms (except the 9-18 and new 12-40/2.8) aren't my favorite, but they're OK. The only real issue I have with Olympus is that they don't have an electronic (first curtain) shutter like the Sony Nex/Axxxx series do. I nearly bought an E-PL1 but the shutter shock issue at many shutter speeds prevented me from doing so. While I haven't looked into the newer Pens yet, I know that they have a 2 sec delay option, but that won't work for me in some instances. Regardless, I would probably try before you buy. Take a series of shots at 1/80, 1/100, 1/125, 1/160, 1/200 sec and see how much (if any) blur you can see, take the shots with the lenses you'd likely uses now and purchase within 1-2yrs time.

As for the Sony, this is what I'll probably end up getting. (I was also looking at the Fuji X-A1.) Sony also make some very good lenses, 10-18/4, 16-70/4, SEL18-200 (my copy was great), 24-70/4, 70-200/4 (probably), 24/1.8, 35/1.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.8, 55/1.8. The 20/2.8, 55-210 are pretty good too. The only weakness IMO is the kit lenses, 16-50 and 18-55, I wish they were a little better, but for most things they'll probably be fine - at least until you upgrade.

The choice, ultimately will have to be yours; I like the Sony, they're the first Mirror-less ILC maker that has come up with my ideal walk-around lens (16-70/4), I just wish it was a little cheaper.

-- hide signature --

NHT

The OP needs to understand the advantages of having a larger sensor size. To me that is more important than how many lenses are currently available in each camp. Sony doesn't have as many lenses as m4/3 at the moment but it has more than enough for you to enjoy photography and you can use ALL of Sony's lenses on the E-mount and even legacy lenses with the right adapter. What m4/3 cannot compete with APS-C cameras is the sensor size. The larger the sensor in the camera, the better the image quality. APS-C sensors will give you better dept of field, lower noise, and more dynamic range. M4/3 tend to have a flatness to them that I noticed due to the sensor size. That is something that cannot be changed even if you have the best lens available on the market for the m4/3. I would go for APS-C sensor and then Fullframe later on once the price and technology in Sony's FF E-mount cameras had improved.

Ttriple's gear list:Ttriple's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,598Gear list
Like?

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thank you!!

You did not say what was important to you.

Features...don't know.

Video-making...the nod goes to the A6000.

Focus-tracking...A6000.

Ergonomics....definitely the A6000.

Picture quality..colors, etc....maybe a tie.

Detail, low light, high ISO...the A6000.

Compact numerous lightweight lens choices...the E-M10.

IS stabilization...the A6000 uses OSS in the lenses which is superior to the E-M10's 3-axis IBIS.

Controls/UI...maybe the E-M10. Menu choices...definitely the E-M10.

Eventual resale value...the A6000.

Appearance...I prefer the A6000's NEX-rangefinder look but everyone has a different opinion.

Cheers,

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,854Gear list
Like?
  1. Wait for full reviews before deciding
  2. m43 has better lens lineup
  3. Try out a touchscreen camera for a bit. For me it is nicer in practice than I expected
  4. I don't know what lenses you want or your budget, but on the budget end the first series Sigma 19mm and 30mm f2.8 are terrific & cheap on E-mount, and the Olympus 40-150 telezoom is an amazing value on m43. The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake is a favorite and has no E-mount equivalent. The 50mm f1.8 Sony is great but the 35mm f1.8 Sony is over-priced.
  5. Sony does really well supporting legacy lenses. 1.5X lens factor. Good focus peaking.
 tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,841Gear list
Like?

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thank you!!

I see E-M5 body @ overstock for $760.... way better value than E-M10 or A6000

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,237Gear list
Like?
I chose NEX for the wide angle

One thing I was looking for was a 10mm linear zoom that takes filters and no mirrorless system had such a thing until Sony announced the 10-18, so that decided it for me.

m43 has a 9-18 which isn't wide enough for me and a 7-14 which can't take a filter rendering it useless AFAIC (and I'm suspicious of bulbous WA lens designs anyway because the protruding primary tends to pick up flare and glare.) Compounding the m43 wide-angle situation is the very unaesthetic 4:3 aspect ratio which always needs cropping to something more rectangular for decent landscape compositions--in so doing you lose even more WA.

The 16-50 kit was another draw--great range for a carry-anywhere lens and compact. Again, m43 nearest compact lens is 19mm at the wide end--not nearly wide enough for that type of zoom IMO.

One advantage the m43 system has is in telephoto. There are two 300mm zooms and I'm not holding my breath for Sony to make a 300mm zoom. So if you want to do birding or wildlife with a telephoto, I think m43 is a better choice as long as you're not too demanding about shooting action towards or away from the camera.

Another advantage of m43 is there are some nice compact wirelessly controllable system hotshoe flashes. The wireless system hotshoe flashes for the NEX are mostly fairly large (although there are plenty of inexpensive non-system options out there.)

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 3,101
Like?

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

It is very hard to tell what camera is best for you Both cameras will be capable of taking great pictures. One thing you have to remember : you take the picture, not the camera. When you are a beginner there is a lot ore to learn then only to use your camera, things that are way more important then a hardly noticable better IQ. Best thing is: go to a shop, try both cameras and go for the one you like the handling best. There are a few things you must closely look at:

EVF: is it comfortabe, do you like the position, how are the colors and the sharpness (adjust the EVF focus to your eye)

Grip: do you like the grip, is it comfortable etc.

Placement of the dials and buttons: are they in the right place for you, do they feel right to you  etc.

Menu: go in the menu of the camera and try it out.

LCD: is it easy to move the LCD up or down, look the colors and sharpness good, etc.

Try all this on a real xamera, don't try to read it from soecs or other users. Specs don't tell everything and others have different hands, needs and expectations....

oth seem to be at the exact same price point. The A6000 seems to have better specs while I guess the M43 system has more lens? I heard that E mount has enough lens and a wide variety also that there will be everything I need at similar prices to M43 lens, with similar quality.

When you allready knows what lenses you want or need then it is wise to build your system on paper and look what the total system will cost. Remember that you have to pay twice the price for a10% better IQ  when buying a lens... For both systems are good lenses, but for the M43 more lenses. This is only important when that system has the lens you want and the othersystem not.

successand have fun!

Thank you!!

telefunk
Regular MemberPosts: 421
Like?
In reply to Ttriple, 9 months ago

The difference between an APS sensor and 4/3 are negligeable. Both are small compared to FF, which itself was considered small in the film days. I myself use even smaller for art galleries or magazine prints because there are certain advantages to each size.

NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ttriple, 9 months ago

Ttriple wrote:

NowHearThis wrote:

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thank you!!

First, Both cameras are capable of taking great photos, be wary of anyone who says differently. As far as lenses, both systems have more lenses then you'll likely ever be able to afford, or want to carry around with you.

Olympus has a very nice selection of Primes: 12/2, 17/1.8, 25/1.8, 45/1.8, 47/1.8 (Panasonic has a few nice ones as well). Olympus zooms (except the 9-18 and new 12-40/2.8) aren't my favorite, but they're OK. The only real issue I have with Olympus is that they don't have an electronic (first curtain) shutter like the Sony Nex/Axxxx series do. I nearly bought an E-PL1 but the shutter shock issue at many shutter speeds prevented me from doing so. While I haven't looked into the newer Pens yet, I know that they have a 2 sec delay option, but that won't work for me in some instances. Regardless, I would probably try before you buy. Take a series of shots at 1/80, 1/100, 1/125, 1/160, 1/200 sec and see how much (if any) blur you can see, take the shots with the lenses you'd likely uses now and purchase within 1-2yrs time.

As for the Sony, this is what I'll probably end up getting. (I was also looking at the Fuji X-A1.) Sony also make some very good lenses, 10-18/4, 16-70/4, SEL18-200 (my copy was great), 24-70/4, 70-200/4 (probably), 24/1.8, 35/1.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.8, 55/1.8. The 20/2.8, 55-210 are pretty good too. The only weakness IMO is the kit lenses, 16-50 and 18-55, I wish they were a little better, but for most things they'll probably be fine - at least until you upgrade.

-- hide signature --

NHT

The OP needs to understand the advantages of having a larger sensor size.

Not to play Devils Advocate, but the smaller 4/3rds sensor has advantages too, most notably getting a long telephoto reach from a small 5-6" lens. Without resorting to adapters you can get a 600mm reach on M43 right now, in Sony E mount: 320mm is your max. That'll matter to some amateur wildlife photographers.

To me that is more important than how many lenses are currently available in each camp. Sony doesn't have as many lenses as m4/3 at the moment but it has more than enough for you to enjoy photography and you can use ALL of Sony's lenses on the E-mount and even legacy lenses with the right adapter. What m4/3 cannot compete with APS-C cameras is the sensor size. The larger the sensor in the camera, the better the image quality.

That statement is too broad. My old Nikon D40 gets beat in every way from every new M43 camera out there, even the Sony RX100 MK2 out performs it. (check DXO). Many M43 sensors perform better than Canon's larger APS-C sensors.  It's safe to say most of the Olympus and Panasonic can take every bit a good photo as any APS-C camera out there.  And any differences between them are getting smaller and smaller.

APS-C sensors will give you better dept of field, lower noise, and more dynamic range.

And looking again at DXO, comparing something like the EM5 to the A5000, they are pretty close. Less than 1/3rd of a stop diff in ISO performance, only 1 bit difference in Color, and .7EV difference in DR. That's pretty miniscule, and that's coming from a Sony guy.  Me being a landscape photographer means I want a larger DOF most of the time anyway, the smaller sensor would help with that, but many of Sony's lenses seem their sharpest at F8 anyway so that works out for most things.

M4/3 tend to have a flatness to them that I noticed due to the sensor size.

I just don't see that.  I see a shutter shock issue at certain speeds (but haven't tested the new cameras to see if it's still there) but I've taken some great looking shots using the 12/2 and 45/1.8.  I've got a shot of a cherry red Ducati that is just mind popping, if I can find it I'll post it.  No flatness to that image.

That is something that cannot be changed even if you have the best lens available on the market for the m4/3. I would go for APS-C sensor and then Fullframe later on once the price and technology in Sony's FF E-mount cameras had improved.

To each his/her own, the last thing I would ever want is FF.  They cost too much, There's nothing wider than 24mm in mirrorless right now in FF - and if there ever is, it'll still costs too much.

• A6000 + 16-70/4 = $1650
  • A7 + 24-70/4 = $2900
  • A6000 + 50/1.8 OSS = $950
  • A7 + 55/1.8 = $2700
  • A6000 + 35/1.8 OSS = $1100
  • A7 + 35/2.8 = $2500

If you want FF, and have the money for it, great, go for it.  Me, I'd pocket the savings and use the cash to towards a trip where I can use my new gear.

Another thing, even if in the future, if FF prices drop, so will APS-C and M43.  However, the thing that most people forget is that lens prices don't seem to drop that much and (some actually increase).

-- hide signature --

NHT

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,598Gear list
Like?
In reply to telefunk, 9 months ago

telefunk wrote:

The difference between an APS sensor and 4/3 are negligeable. Both are small compared to FF, which itself was considered small in the film days. I myself use even smaller for art galleries or magazine prints because there are certain advantages to each size.

NOT negligible. The FF sensor is 2X the surface area of the Sony APS-C sensor. The Sony APS-C sensor is 50% larger in area, than the M43 sensor.

Do the math.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,481Gear list
Like?

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thank you!!

You can wait for DxOmark to review both cameras.

As a reference, DxO sensor ratings:

• 16Mp EM-1 = 70
  • 24Mp Nex-7 = 81
  • 24Mp A7 = 90
  • 26Mp A7r = 95

The E-M10 has a touch screen, and is generally easiest to use, in part due to the shallower DOF. (Good) lenses cost about the same between the systems, and are fairly comparable. Both systems have likely more lenses that you can absorb immediately. If you like tele, there is more choice for the E-M10, if you like wide, the A6000 has an edge (including legacy and likely RF lenses).

If you plan to use it under low light, do get a fast lens, and pick the larger sensor - it makes a difference (=faster shutter times). AF difference between the E-M10 and A6000 are expected to be negligible (with the proper lens).

Also, check the EVF - the A6000 is Nex-6/7 (ie. E-M1) like, the E-M10 has a much smaller viewing area.

You are asking on a Sony forum - many of us (I am) are getting the A6000 - does that say enough?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,511
Like?
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

captura wrote:

telefunk wrote:

NOT negligible. The FF sensor is 2X the surface area of the Sony APS-C sensor. The Sony APS-C sensor is 50% larger in area, than the M43 sensor.

Do the math.

Sigh. And the math says what about IQ? You know darn well it doesn't say a thing.

Nothing's worse than when a newbie asks a reasonable question and the old guard--who knows better--perpetuates lies.

Yes the APS-C sensor is larger, but no it doesn't make much difference to IQ. The OP should feel free to corroborate that him/her self, since this is the SONY forum so the zealots will quickly rise to defend their brand and put down any other (especially m43). As I've written many times, both on here and in the m43 forum, I own cameras from both systems and the images are, for all practical purposes, indistinguishable. By far the biggest factor is the lens on the camera. By far.

But if it makes you feel superior to have a bigger sensor, then go for it.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,481Gear list
Like?
In reply to tjuster1, 9 months ago

tjuster1 wrote:

captura wrote:

telefunk wrote:

Do the math.

Sigh. And the math says what about IQ? You know darn well it doesn't say a thing.

Sigh, who is perpetuating myths now?

Nothing's worse than when a newbie asks a reasonable question and the old guard--who knows better--perpetuates lies.

Not really, it is answers like yours that confuse the newbees and make people believe in myths.

Captura is right, the APS-C sensor is nearly twice the size, and check the DxOmark sensor ratings - it matters.

Yes the APS-C sensor is larger, but no it doesn't make much difference to IQ. The OP should feel free to corroborate that him/her self, since this is the SONY forum so the zealots will quickly rise to defend their brand and put down any other (especially m43).

So we are condemned for speaking up? On the Sony forum?

As I've written many times, both on here and in the m43 forum, I own cameras from both systems and the images are, for all practical purposes, indistinguishable. By far the biggest factor is the lens on the camera. By far.

Sure, get the most expensive f/1.4 lenses to catch up with the very good f/1.8 lenses on the APS-C cameras. More money. Still, you only get 16Mp. The A6000 has 24Mp. But you conveniently forget that - after all it is only math.

But if it makes you feel superior to have a bigger sensor, then go for it.

Per my math, larger sensor + more megapixels - sounds like a winner. Or, hasn't the Nex-7 reigned in IQ since its introduction? Or is that also only math?

Math wins over myths, every time.

The OP should decide on his/her needs, and pick the format that fits. Making them equal sounds a bit like a stretch, on all accounts.

Like I said in my other answer - April is another month away - wait for reviews to come out, check the DxOmark sensor ratings when published, visit a store to compare. Forget the myths...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,887Gear list
Like?

Definitely not the EM10 with only 3 Axis Stabilisation, unless you are going to use Panasonic Lens with OIS (In Lens Stabilisation)

The A6000 sounds like a better choice for a beginner, it should be a very good camera and the E-Mount Lens are cheap as well...

IF you don't like it much you can easily sell it and go m43...

The EM5 is an excellent camera, but for lower light venues you have to buy the most expensive m43 lens unless you use flash...

The Nex-6 can be had for cheap as well, there are a lot of nice photos with the Nex-6 as well...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,887Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

captura wrote:

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thank you!!

You did not say what was important to you.

Features...don't know.

Video-making...the nod goes to the A6000.

Focus-tracking...A6000.

Ergonomics....definitely the A6000.

Picture quality..colors, etc....maybe a tie.

Detail, low light, high ISO...the A6000.

Compact numerous lightweight lens choices...the E-M10.

IS stabilization...the A6000 uses OSS in the lenses which is superior to the E-M10's 3-axis IBIS.

Controls/UI...maybe the E-M10. Menu choices...definitely the E-M10.

Eventual resale value...the A6000.

Appearance...I prefer the A6000's NEX-rangefinder look but everyone has a different opinion.

Cheers,

Steve

Excellent synopsis...+1

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Ttriple
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to NowHearThis, 9 months ago

NowHearThis wrote:

Ttriple wrote:

NowHearThis wrote:

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thank you!!

-- hide signature --

NHT

The OP needs to understand the advantages of having a larger sensor size.

Not to play Devils Advocate, but the smaller 4/3rds sensor has advantages too, most notably getting a long telephoto reach from a small 5-6" lens. Without resorting to adapters you can get a 600mm reach on M43 right now, in Sony E mount: 320mm is your max. That'll matter to some amateur wildlife photographers.

To me that is more important than how many lenses are currently available in each camp. Sony doesn't have as many lenses as m4/3 at the moment but it has more than enough for you to enjoy photography and you can use ALL of Sony's lenses on the E-mount and even legacy lenses with the right adapter. What m4/3 cannot compete with APS-C cameras is the sensor size. The larger the sensor in the camera, the better the image quality.

That statement is too broad. My old Nikon D40 gets beat in every way from every new M43 camera out there, even the Sony RX100 MK2 out performs it. (check DXO). Many M43 sensors perform better than Canon's larger APS-C sensors. It's safe to say most of the Olympus and Panasonic can take every bit a good photo as any APS-C camera out there. And any differences between them are getting smaller and smaller.

APS-C sensors will give you better dept of field, lower noise, and more dynamic range.

And looking again at DXO, comparing something like the EM5 to the A5000, they are pretty close. Less than 1/3rd of a stop diff in ISO performance, only 1 bit difference in Color, and .7EV difference in DR. That's pretty miniscule, and that's coming from a Sony guy. Me being a landscape photographer means I want a larger DOF most of the time anyway, the smaller sensor would help with that, but many of Sony's lenses seem their sharpest at F8 anyway so that works out for most things.

M4/3 tend to have a flatness to them that I noticed due to the sensor size.

I just don't see that. I see a shutter shock issue at certain speeds (but haven't tested the new cameras to see if it's still there) but I've taken some great looking shots using the 12/2 and 45/1.8. I've got a shot of a cherry red Ducati that is just mind popping, if I can find it I'll post it. No flatness to that image.

That is something that cannot be changed even if you have the best lens available on the market for the m4/3. I would go for APS-C sensor and then Fullframe later on once the price and technology in Sony's FF E-mount cameras had improved.

To each his/her own, the last thing I would ever want is FF. They cost too much, There's nothing wider than 24mm in mirrorless right now in FF - and if there ever is, it'll still costs too much.

• A6000 + 16-70/4 = $1650
  • A7 + 24-70/4 = $2900
  • A6000 + 50/1.8 OSS = $950
  • A7 + 55/1.8 = $2700
  • A6000 + 35/1.8 OSS = $1100
  • A7 + 35/2.8 = $2500

If you want FF, and have the money for it, great, go for it. Me, I'd pocket the savings and use the cash to towards a trip where I can use my new gear.

Another thing, even if in the future, if FF prices drop, so will APS-C and M43. However, the thing that most people forget is that lens prices don't seem to drop that much and (some actually increase).

-- hide signature --

NHT

Here is what the OP should do. Go to the m4/3 forum and look at the pics posted there and go to this forum and look at the pics posted by APS-C camera models. Also go on Flickr and search for pics taken with m4/3 cameras and APSC cameras from SONY and you will notice that in general, the APS-C sensor gives better dept of field than the smaller m4/3 sensor. I also noticed that the noise performance is better on APS-C sensor as well. The color fidelity and details and dynamic range as well. That is why I decided to go with the NEX6 instead of the OMD-EM5 at the time I was shopping for my camera. Use your own research and let your eyes decide IF image quality is what you are after. I did and I never regret it. Prices are good with SONY also since SONY build most if not all of the components on their camera in-house so they can sell them cheaper than the competition. At the end of day, you will get to make the final decision. Not the fanbois on these forums.

Ttriple's gear list:Ttriple's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads