Df owners - how is the low light focus capability

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Fotoloco
Regular MemberPosts: 439
Like?
Df owners - how is the low light focus capability
7 months ago

I have a D4 - LOVE IT!!! Use for business - mostly portraits, but also motocross etc. I am considering getting a Df for travel and personal use. Do not need the Df to do motocross tracking focus, but I will be using it at night on city streets, restaurants/clubs etc. I am use to the D4 focusing in near dark. I have seen the focus of the Df bashed in some reviews, but I think they are bias because same reviewers do not bash the D600/610 focus which is the same? What has your real life experience been.

Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Waynerm002
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
Re: Df owners - how is the low light focus capability
In reply to Fotoloco, 7 months ago

I find it does some hunting if it is really dark and you are using one of the outer focusing points.  As I learned in the early days, I would use the center circle to focus and recompose.  Haven't had any issues to complain about.

Waynerm002's gear list:Waynerm002's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,199
Like?

Fotoloco wrote:

I have a D4 - LOVE IT!!! Use for business - mostly portraits, but also motocross etc. I am considering getting a Df for travel and personal use. Do not need the Df to do motocross tracking focus, but I will be using it at night on city streets, restaurants/clubs etc. I am use to the D4 focusing in near dark. I have seen the focus of the Df bashed in some reviews, but I think they are bias because same reviewers do not bash the D600/610 focus which is the same? What has your real life experience been.

The review differences are likely because the Df doesn't have a focus assist light, whereas the D6xx do. The D4 doesn't have one either so if you're able to focus well on the center point with the D4 then the Df should be fine as well, although the Df/D6xx is spec'd for -1EV vs -2EV for the D4.

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,939Gear list
Like?

If you use all of the AF points there is no doubt that the D4 is superior. Compared to my D800 using centerpoint, the Df is only slightly behind.

The bottom line is that the Df AF works very well, required no lens calibration (even with my 3rd party lenses) and has been the best shooting experience out-of-the-box since my D700.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
eric guzman
Contributing MemberPosts: 637
Like?

I have tried in a party that was very dark (candle illuminated) with the Sigma 35 1.4 and the Nikon 85 1.4g and it hunted in same cases (not always), I'd say in most bars or restaurants or streets at night, you would not have a problem, again, as someone else posted , using the center focus points will increase your chances of success.

j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198Gear list
Like?

I shot a rented Df next to a D800 at a 48-hour theater festival in January. Lighting conditions varied, sometimes having to shoot as high as 12800 iso. I didn't have any focus problems with the Df. I was shooting AF-C, 9 point dynamic, center focus point, and focus/recompose. Maybe it's not as good as the d4, but it certainly met my requirements.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Murray Bowles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,956
Like?
In reply to j_photo, 7 months ago

Hard to say. I find it struggling more often than my D300, but then I'm also shooting in darker places. One thing -- using the center AF point and the SB900 AF-assist, it seems to fail (either to not focus or to misfocus) more often than the D300.

scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,558Gear list
Like?

I haven't had any focus hunting in a variety of situations, night or day, good light or horrible.  I would discount any folks comments or theories that haven't used the camera.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Rolf_52
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?

Fotoloco wrote:

I have been traveling in Thailand and Myanmar recently shooting a lot after sunset with Df + Nikon 85 f1.4G and Sigma 35 f1,4. I am very pleased with the Df except for the battery door which is flimsy. AF is excellent and high ISO rendering the best I have experienced (tried D700, D800 and D4).

/Rolf

Rolf_52's gear list:Rolf_52's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D800E Nikon Df Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 Sports
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?

Fotoloco wrote:

I absolutely love my Df but have found instances where the focus fails in low light. Specifically in pubs/bars and at one wedding I was at recently. But its only when there really is very little light. But 99% of the time, it works flawlessly.

tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Ontario
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to tkelly11, 7 months ago

In very dark enviroment try live view. I'm serious. When you have 1.4 lens attached live view will use all the light the lens give. Phase detections sensors use only f5.6 no matter what lens you are using.

Fotoloco
Like?
In reply to tkelly11, 7 months ago

Thanks to all. Since this will be for personal use, it does not have to be perfect. If it fails on occasion then...oh well. There is a part of me saying just get the D800, but then it feels like I may as well just use the D4.

how is the Df received by potential subjects? Is it small enough to be non threatening or is it still in that get that thing away from me group?

j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198Gear list
Like?

Fotoloco wrote:

Thanks to all. Since this will be for personal use, it does not have to be perfect. If it fails on occasion then...oh well. There is a part of me saying just get the D800, but then it feels like I may as well just use the D4.

how is the Df received by potential subjects? Is it small enough to be non threatening or is it still in that get that thing away from me group?

F: On the "feel good" meter, the Df was for me off the charts (in a good way). I can't quite justify the cost right now, but I wish I had one. It was fun to shoot with and had fantastic IQ and I liked the less bulky form factor.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Fotoloco
Like?
Re live view. Can you set use center point, aim, half depress, recompose, & shoot
In reply to j_photo, 7 months ago

Just like using viewfinder except u have to fold different?  I know what live view is, just nevrefused it on D4.

in other words, how do you choose focus point in live view? My guess is since no touch screen it is same way you would choose focus point when looking three viewfinder.

this may take some getting use to, but could be a great way to go. Isn't live view very accurate too? No chance for front/back focus?

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,599Gear list
Like?

Kit prime @f/1.8, 1/50th @ ISO 25600.

Focus is iffy unless it's very strong contrast in the subject.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads