Thinking about getting the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II for portraits! Any advice is appreciated

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
bmcdad
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
Thinking about getting the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II for portraits! Any advice is appreciated
7 months ago

I rented the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR I for my trip to West Africa and fell in love with the lens. I'm now thinking seriously about purchasing the lens (VRII) to utilize in my Wedding/Portrait work. What do you guys think? would anyone with the lens on a full frame body recommend it for portrait work?

Here's the link to the images I took with the lens in Africa and the D3.

http://billmcdad.com/thank-you-africa-2/

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bartolyni
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking about getting the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II for portraits! Any advice is appreciated
In reply to bmcdad, 7 months ago

These shots were taken many years ago and you still haven't made up your mind? When you first uploaded the link ,years ago, you lead me to believe that you already owned this lens then. Zeiss 135 is lighter and cheaper with similar results.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bmcdad
Like?
Re: Thinking about getting the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II for portraits! Any advice is appreciated
In reply to bartolyni, 7 months ago

I appreciate your input regarding the Zeiss. I need the AF in the 200mm... I'm hesitating because of the price tag obviously.

bartolyni wrote:

These shots were taken many years ago and you still haven't made up your mind? When you first uploaded the link ,years ago, you lead me to believe that you already owned this lens then. Zeiss 135 is lighter and cheaper with similar results.

anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,036
Like?

I've got both the 200/2G VR-I and the Zeiss 135/2 Apo. Both quite excellent lenses obviously, living near the top of what is possible with lens design, although rendering is different as one would expect.

I used the 200/2 for portraiture and believe it or not, headshots, but holy hell does that thing get tiresome to hand hold. I'm likely to use the Zeiss more, even though it's manual focus, for people work though.

-m

bmcdad
Like?
In reply to anotherMike, 7 months ago

Thanks so much for the info... in your opinion of weight is not a factor which lens would you pick for the look? the Zeiss or the Nikon?

anotherMike wrote:

I've got both the 200/2G VR-I and the Zeiss 135/2 Apo. Both quite excellent lenses obviously, living near the top of what is possible with lens design, although rendering is different as one would expect.

I used the 200/2 for portraiture and believe it or not, headshots, but holy hell does that thing get tiresome to hand hold. I'm likely to use the Zeiss more, even though it's manual focus, for people work though.

-m

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,783
Like?

Nice photo with the rented lens!    You didn't ask, but did you consider the 70-200 VRII?  I would be more versitile.

-- hide signature --
A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188
Like?

bmcdad wrote:

I rented the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR I for my trip to West Africa and fell in love with the lens. I'm now thinking seriously about purchasing the lens (VRII) to utilize in my Wedding/Portrait work. What do you guys think? would anyone with the lens on a full frame body recommend it for portrait work?

-- hide signature --

I have never used that lens so cannot help you with your decision. But darn those are some fine images.

-- hide signature --
Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,243
Like?

What do you guys think?

I Think You should rent this Lens again and Test it on a simulated Wedding and Portrait Work.

would anyone with the lens on a full frame body recommend it for portrait work?

(If You have the Endurance to hold this Lens + Camera, then i would Say: Yes).

Poor Peoples.

Paul P K
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
Absolutely worth it: some shots with the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR Version I
 Paul P K's gear list:Paul P K's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon D2X Nikon D1H +19 more
Tom Cooper
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Absolutely worth it: some shots with the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR Version I
In reply to Paul P K, 7 months ago

I do have that lens and use it with a D4.  Great lens.  I do leave it behind some times due to weight, but then wish I had brought it along.  The biggest disadvantage is having to carry it by the lens instead of the camera body, it is just a little awkward for hand held, but it has it's own strap for that.

Tom C

Scott McMorrow
Regular MemberPosts: 361
Like?

Based on DxO data, this lens has the highest resolution of any Nikon lens made. Only the Zeiss 135mm APO and the Otus outperform it.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52896885

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,518Gear list
Like?

I had the VR1 and loved it too for sports, particularly water polo and wrestling. The drawback is its limited usage, size, and weight. After hand holding this monster, a monopod is definitely a relief for a guy who has not trained in the weight room. But, even though I convinced myself that the 70-200mm at 200mm is almost as good, I would love to buy mine back from the buyer at around $3500. I will not pay a premium for the VR2 with the nono coating.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +3 more
amateurphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
In reply to wasserball, 7 months ago

I don't have this lens but carry out both portraits and wedding shoots.

yes, the 200f2 I believe will be a gem of a lens but

1) if you are doing a studio shoot - do you physically have enough space, I have shot with a 70-200 before and sometimes the studios I shoot in don't have enough space.

2)  Long day shoots I would think this lens would be very heavy hand holding. Of course could mount on a tripod, but something else to trip over in the studio.

3)  Wedding portraits, okay I guess as you have time to change the lens, but otherwise if you are shooting the event type weddings then carrying a 24-70, 70-200 + flashes and two bodies and 200f2 is a bit heavy!

Personally I use the 85 f1.4, 105DC2 for head portraits and if space prevails the 70-200 on a D800E.

anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,036
Like?

Couldn't pick between them honestly. Focal length preference and/or task preference would rule over rendering differences.

-m

RicAllan
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?

In my mind, it boils down to wheher it gives you the working distance you prefer for the subjects you shoot.... only you can determine that.

-- hide signature --

Ric

RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4s
Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,501Gear list
Like?
And the Sigma 150mm?

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/304-sigma-af-150mm-f28-apo-ex-hsm-macro-dg-d-review--test-report?start=1

regards

-- hide signature --

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

Gittix
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?

Just buy it and don't look back. If you can stand the weight and the subject distance, the results speak for themselves. Subject tack sharp, beautiful bokeh, and the compression 200mm gives you is awesome. The subject distance and awe factor at the size is the only drawback working with portraits.

As earlier suggested, you may want to consider a gently used VRI at about $4000. Aside from the nano coating I don't think there is much difference. I couldn't quite swallow a new one.

Gittix's gear list:Gittix's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Tommot1965
Contributing MemberPosts: 898Gear list
Like?

amazing images of what looks like a very poor people ...Id say if you can buy it..do so

SVPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?

Outdoor portraits - sure.

Indoor portraits - no - you will rarely have the space to use a 200mm prime inside a studio.

For weddings - no - unless you are second shooting or have an assistant that carries all your gear for you and hands you what you need when you need to shoot or you are uncle bobbing.

RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,257Gear list
Like?
I use the 200 VR (I) whenever I can for people/portraits

bmcdad wrote:

-- hide signature --

HI!

I've used the "I" version of the 200VR on D3 and D4 bodies. The lens excels at people shots.

I don't do studio work, but here are some shots from a local Renaissance Fair, almost all taken with the 200 Vr (I) (and a few with the Zeiss 135/2 toward the end of the gallery):

Renaissance Fair

And some other 200VR shots here (including a few of the above Ren Fair shots):

200VR Pics:

Just make sure that you are OK with the size and weight of the lens. I don't have a problem with it, but others might:

Also, not every wedding venue will have the working distance you might want.

Outdoors, one can always use "sneaker zoom !

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/80s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso200

I did try to shoot some limited wedding shots with it, but realized that I preferred the 70-200VR for that. Maneuvering the 200VR around a wedding seemed a bit much, at least for me.....

Best Regards,

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads