Started 5 months ago | Discussions
maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,601
Like?
It's a fixer, but we love it!
5 months ago

After all, "location, location, location."

Balcony House, Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado

Here's the dilemma:  I used the D800 + 24-70 f2.8 zoom at 245 mm and f5.6, hand held.  Tripods not allowed.  Visiting this ruin involves a reservation and climbing steep ladders and crawling through narrow tunnels.  I could have gotten just as good an image from a Olympus or Fuji mirrorless, with less weight and size.  In the tunnel, I was proceeding on one hand and two knees, using one hand to hold the camera and keep it from banging on rock.

Image quality from the newer mirrorless cameras is good enough (for me) that image quality is not longer the major deciding factor in purchasing equipment.

Crown Fountain, Chicago, Illinois, Nikon D800 + 24-120 zoom:  f5.6, ISO 1400, 1/500 sec at 120 mm

I think I could be happy using a mirrorless camera for 80% of my images, saving the D800/E for tripod mounted landscapes I might want to print the size of China, and for sports and wildlife.

For cities, ancient and modern, for European vacations, for macros of flowers, for museums, for candids and family, I say pack light.

I have always strived for the best I could be or do or buy.

Now, I'm escaping from the "tyranny of only using the best."  Good enough is good enough.  And it's a lot less expensive.

The next time I visit my fixer mountain chateau I'll be using a smaller camera.  You'll never know the difference.

maljo

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,716Gear list
Like?
Re: It's a fixer, but we love it!
In reply to maljo@inreach.com, 5 months ago

Maybe the A7r?  It has its problems, but it has the same sensor as the D800 without the AA filter.

Or, the A7...

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?

D800 + 24-70 f2.8

That's a pretty bulky combo for travel. I do walk around a lot with the D800 with a lightweight prime.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Nevada Landscapes
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?

maljo@inreach.com wrote:

Tripods not allowed. Visiting this ruin involves a reservation and climbing steep ladders and crawling through narrow tunnels. I could have gotten just as good an image from a Olympus or Fuji mirrorless, with less weight and size. In the tunnel, I was proceeding on one hand and two knees, using one hand to hold the camera and keep it from banging on rock.

I use a 17 oz. 4 1/2" x 2 5/8" x 2 3/4" Sony RX1 in these type situations (especially multi-day backpacking trips where size and weight are crucial) and I have been very pleased.  As a plus, you don't lose the option of big prints either with its full-frame sensor and fantastic lens.  The RX1 can be had for decent used prices these days.

Nevada Landscapes's gear list:Nevada Landscapes's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha 7R
Tommot1965
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?

dont bump the iso too much than mate ...otherwise your EM1 will look very bad next to the output of the D800..but yes I agree at Base ISO most shots will look as good with the new mirrorless cameras for holiday snaps

the 24-70 is a big lump of glass...perhaps look for a lighter lens while traveling ..a variable aperture zoom perhaps

Chikubi
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?

That's why I just picked up an X-T1. A fraction of the size and weight of my D3, but with outstanding IQ and a decent build quality as well. Horses for courses - it's good to have choices at hand.

maljo@inreach.com
Like?
An excellent choice!
In reply to Chikubi, 5 months ago

I'm tempted by the XT1 myself.

maljo

maljo@inreach.com
Like?
Good points, all, thanks
In reply to Tommot1965, 5 months ago

maljo

Chikubi
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?
Re: An excellent choice!

maljo@inreach.com wrote:

I'm tempted by the XT1 myself.

maljo

So far, it seems like a decent camera. I haven't had a chance to take it out and really try it yet, but playing around with it over the last day or so I think it'll work out nicely. Unfortunately, mine has the light leak issue that's cropped up, but it's not fatal to the camera for my normal shooting, so I can deal until they come up with a fix. Otherwise, I'm quite pleased so far, and the size/weight is really handy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads