Is it time to call an attorney general about Nikon?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 14,269Gear list
Like?
6 months ago

There have been hundreds of posts about Nikon USA repair service. People send in equipment and the item seems to ALWAYS become "impact repair."

Here is a post about Nikon Professional Services doing this to pro shooters:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=42282

Of course, if you remember I was turned away by Nikon warranty when there was a month left on my D3 warranty. They claimed I got the camera wet.

-- hide signature --

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. --H.G. Wells

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,553
Like?
Re: Is it time to call a attorney general about Nikon?
In reply to bikinchris, 6 months ago

bikinchris wrote:

There have been hundreds of posts about Nikon USA repair service. People send in equipment and the item seems to ALWAYS become "impact repair."

Of course, if you remember I was turned away by Nikon warranty when there was a month left on my D3 warranty. They claimed I got the camera wet.

-- hide signature --

You're a funny guy.  I think you should call the president, why settle for the attorney general?  Call Putin while you're at it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167Gear list
Like?

Sure go for it. Meanwhile, I think I'll go shoot some photos.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
MalbikEndar
Regular MemberPosts: 161
Like?
In reply to j_photo, 6 months ago

Forget the president. Go straight to the UN Security Council.

LA Headshots
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Time to learn photography

bikinchris wrote:

-- hide signature --

Rather than complain about camera companies on the internets forums

-- hide signature --
 LA Headshots's gear list:LA Headshots's gear list
Apple Aperture
bikinchris
Like?
To the three posters above:
In reply to MalbikEndar, 6 months ago

MalbikEndar wrote:

I hope you three guys don't need to send anything into Nikon for repair.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,209
Like?
Re: To the three posters above:

bikinchris wrote:

MalbikEndar wrote:

-- hide signature --

my girlfriend had the same thing happen to her with her cell phone and we know it was never

ever near anything wet......

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,553
Like?

bikinchris wrote:

MalbikEndar wrote:

-- hide signature --

After 13 Nikon bodies and numerous Nikon lenses, I've never needed to send anything to Nikon for repair.  So, yeah, I have a jaded view about this.

Moondancer
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, 6 months ago

toomanycanons wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

MalbikEndar wrote:

-- hide signature --

After 13 Nikon bodies and numerous Nikon lenses, I've never needed to send anything to Nikon for repair. So, yeah, I have a jaded view about this.

Wait, but wouldn't that make you unqualified to comment on how good/bad Nikon service is since you've never used them?

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,149
Like?
Re: Is it time to call an attorney general about Nikon?

Don't understand the negative replies you're getting, both because Nikon's 'impact damage' claims are very troublesome but also because you're a long time poster and contributor to the forums. In my view Nikon is a) being overly picky on their arrival inspections, b) not designing their equipment well enough to withstand the normal rigors of use, c) has the most unlucky customers who drop/damage their equipment without realizing it, or d) is committing outright warranty fraud.

I've read a lot of online service threads in both forums and I can't recall more than one or two instances where Canon claimed impact damage on a warranty repair. I see a report of Nikon claiming it almost every other week.

j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167Gear list
Like?
In reply to Horshack, 6 months ago

I was being a bit flip, I admit. I don't know the OP. But I guess I don't quite see the point to the post. Doesn't the linked message say a used lens was dropped several times? Sounds like impact damage to me. And OP says the issue with his D3 has previously been discussed.

But, of course, the topic is a legitimate one. So I'll shut up now! No real offense intended.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
bikinchris
Like?
In reply to j_photo, 6 months ago

j_photo wrote:

I was being a bit flip, I admit. I don't know the OP. But I guess I don't quite see the point to the post. Doesn't the linked message say a used lens was dropped several times? Sounds like impact damage to me. And OP says the issue with his D3 has previously been discussed.

But, of course, the topic is a legitimate one. So I'll shut up now! No real offense intended.

No, the linked article was a longtime Nikon pro (who is a member of NPS) sent in a lens and had it repaired. He got it back and right away it didn't work right and he was told he would be charged AGAIN for impact damage, having never dropped the lens. he just took it out of the box. But if you do a search on this site, you will find dozens of instances where people sent in a camera for warranty repair and were charged for impact damage. It has happened enough that it seems to be a pattern of behavior on the part of Nikon.

SOME of it might be traced to poor packing. You cannot explain it all by that reasoning.

In my instance, I KNOW I never got my D3 wet. I had gotten my D2H bodies wet many times and never had trouble. In this case, the back glass over the LCD was fogging. I sent it in for warranty work and was told I got the camera wet and it was not covered. I was not the only one. Many people got that treatment from Nikon. Same thing with other complaints with other cameras. D800, D600 and some others. The owners were turned away and Nikon did not make it good. This is not right.

-- hide signature --

sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,332Gear list
Like?
Did you or anyone else posting in this thread send a lens in?
In reply to Moondancer, 6 months ago
No text.
 sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
Ronan_M
Contributing MemberPosts: 850
Like?

bikinchris wrote:

-- hide signature --

Honestly the most effective thing would be to vote with your wallet, sell your Nikon gear and get the Canon equivalent...

Moondancer
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Re: Did you or anyone else posting in this thread send a lens in?
In reply to sandy b, 6 months ago

Yes I did. Nikon service asked me to send in my D800 twice for left AF.

Phil_L
Senior MemberPosts: 2,807
Like?

bikinchris wrote:

SOME of it might be traced to poor packing.

Perhaps?

AFAIK Nikon USA is the only Nikon distributor offering a 5 year guarantee.

This coupled with Nikon's lapse in QC at manufacturing level and perhaps cost cutting at design is likely seriously impacting Nikon USA results and triggering restrictive "policies" on repair!?

-- hide signature --

Phil_L

lanefAU
Senior MemberPosts: 4,091Gear list
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, 6 months ago

toomanycanons wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

-- hide signature --

You're a funny guy. I think you should call the president, why settle for the attorney general? Call Putin while you're at it.

Ha! Ha! Putin, you can be sure, he would send his boys to surround the Nikon plant and snipers would be posted on the roof to pin anything that moves and at the end of the day, Nikon will give in and agree to give him a certificate for free service and free purchase for life. 

-- hide signature --

Veni Vidi Capi (I Came, I Saw, I Captured)
Ask not what the camera can do for you, but what you can do with the camera.
http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries

lanefAU's gear list:lanefAU's gear list
G1 X II Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,581
Like?

Without wishing to doubt the validly of anyone's claim about faulty goods etc human nature being as it is I very much doubt anyone would send an item in with the wording ' I just dropped this ' etc, it would be more like ' my ? has stopped working ' please fix it under warranty !  Having worked in retail for a while you become somewhat cynical when presented with a piece of equipment that is full of sand despite the owner claiming it has not been near a beach, I am sure Nikon/Canon etc have a archive of letters of explanation of similar  claimed ' manufacturing problems ' I am just trying to present a balanced viewpoint as to why manufacturers of any equipment are tightening up on what they consider a justified  warranty repair, they have seen all the user reasons many times and it must wear a little thin over the years.

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,723Gear list
Like?
In reply to MalbikEndar, 6 months ago

MalbikEndar wrote:

Why not have a CIA black ops team deployed to assault Nikon HQ?

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,723Gear list
Like?
In reply to Phil_L, 6 months ago

Phil_L wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

SOME of it might be traced to poor packing.

Perhaps?

AFAIK Nikon USA is the only Nikon distributor offering a 5 year guarantee.

This coupled with Nikon's lapse in QC at manufacturing level and perhaps cost cutting at design is likely seriously impacting Nikon USA results and triggering restrictive "policies" on repair!?

-- hide signature --

Phil_L

Canada used to? Other than that you are correct. Most countries get 12 months, some get 24 (the EU requires a 24 month minimum).

The most asinine aspect of Nikon warranty is the refusal to repair bodies outside the country of purchase.

So when I am shooting work in SE Asia and my $7500 D3s or $10,000 D3x crap out, I have to wait until I get back to NZ for repair....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads