Is image stabilization really the stuff?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,971Gear list
Like?
Is image stabilization really the stuff?
9 months ago

When I got my first camera with image stabilization I was amazed, a Olympus 510. I swore I would never own another camera without stabilization. But now the longer I do this the less I use or need it. I almost never find myself in a situation I need it.

When I am shooting landscapes it's always in low light and I am 100% on tripod. When I am shooting wildlife I can push the ISO so high and still maintain good image quality and sharp images without it on.

The high ISO capabilities of the newer Sony cameras has all but eliminated my need for image stabilization. I can see it with the a77 or the NEX cameras as they suffer some in the high ISO area. But I have read so many post complaining the a7/7R doesn't have it in body it's the deal breaker for many.

When I had the E-M1 it was a must as 1600 ISO was my limit for except able results. So how much do you really need it and for what? If I can shoot 8000 ISO I can honestly say I don't need it.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to cosmonaut, 9 months ago

My A-mount body has IBIS and my E-mount body relies on optical stabilization (I have one E-mount and one A-mount lens with optical stabilization). I can do without it.

The one lens I do use with optical stabilization is E 35/1.8. But my issue has to do with Sony falling in love with 1/60s for minimum shutter speed. It is faster than the minimum to worry about OSS with 35mm lens, but I would rather have faster shutter speed especially with longer lenses... an idea better implemented in a55: the minimum shutter speed that the camera tries to maintain is 1/equiv FL. So, a 35mm will get 1/60s, 50mm gets 1/80s, 70mm gets 1/125s, 135mm gets 1/250s...

And the ability to set minimum shutter speed should be there with Auto ISO. Stabilization? I am okay with it for casual snapshots but pretty much anything that moves deserves better.

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vinylly
Contributing MemberPosts: 550
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to cosmonaut, 9 months ago

The NEX-7 has the first stabilization I ever used.  I never had one on my old film cameras so this is a luxury and sense I use my legacy lenses from my film camera I still don't have stabilization.  But I try to keep shutter speed at about 1/100 and work with the aperture and ISO around it.  I use a Summilux R f/1.4 lens or a Summitron f/2 which work pretty well without image stabilization.  It would be nice though if the NEX-7 had in-body stabilization like the Oly OMD.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

spot on

.. not even providing it as an app when just about every decent dslr/CSC has it as std really shows Sony up badly

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,016Gear list
Like?
re: image stabilization? pretty useless for anything that moves (n/t)
In reply to cosmonaut, 9 months ago

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Ki
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183
Like?
Re: re: image stabilization? pretty useless for anything that moves (n/t)
In reply to jpr2, 9 months ago

What do you do in low light when tripod or monopod is not allowed?  I wouldn't mind using non-stabilized lenses all the time, but sometimes it might be necessary.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,840Gear list
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to cosmonaut, 9 months ago

Depends on what you shoot.  I think it is useless in most lenses of 100mm or wider. WHY?

You can handhold a 20mm lens to 1/15 second but the subject matter will be blurry if it is breathing.  If you are shooting landscapes there may not be anything alive in the shot, but the demand for small apertures is real unless you like blurry landscapes.

The need to shoot at slow shutter speeds is generally accompanied with a tripod as hand holding at half a second is a big challenge.

Where IS or VR is useful is shooting at 200mm and hand holding at 1/100.

 RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,971Gear list
Like?
Re: re: image stabilization? pretty useless for anything that moves (n/t)
In reply to Tom Ki, 9 months ago

The only place I can recall being a tripod was not allowed was a museum and I had enough light at 6400 ISO at the time. I found the IS on the E-M1 so unreliable I had to take multiple shots to ensure a crisp image. What good is it if it can't be depended on? I was getting about 75% keepers. My previous Olympus cameras done way better.

But I think sooner or later high ISO quality is going to be so good IS will almost become a useless feature.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gkstar
Regular MemberPosts: 286Gear list
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to RonFrank, 9 months ago

I am a casual shooter and IS is very nice to have. Agree it does not help with moving subjects, but for the rest - why should I carry and set up a trypod if I can do w/o it?

 gkstar's gear list:gkstar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LeicaBOSS
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
IBIS makes manufacturers LAZY
In reply to cosmonaut, 9 months ago

Here's my issue. IS is sometimes great to have. Travel photos, lower light shots, environmental portraits, hanheld tele-nature, mammals...

AND In-lens stabilization is amazing. for long teles - the panning and stnadard IS can provide 4 stops of amazing goodness and a smooth, clear image in the viewfinder.

But IBIS is just not as good - and when you have it - the manufacturers get lazy and don't put the superior OSS/IS in the lenses - so you're left with kind of crap-tier IS when you need it, and crap-tier IS when you don't.

The reality is that they won't give you both - so I take no IBIS + in-lens IS as my preferred choice.

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

 LeicaBOSS's gear list:LeicaBOSS's gear list
Leica M9 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gkstar
Regular MemberPosts: 286Gear list
Like?
Re: re: image stabilization? pretty useless for anything that moves (n/t)
In reply to cosmonaut, 9 months ago

cosmonaut wrote:

The only place I can recall being a tripod was not allowed was a museum and I had enough light at 6400 ISO at the time. I found the IS on the E-M1 so unreliable I had to take multiple shots to ensure a crisp image. What good is it if it can't be depended on? I was getting about 75% keepers. My previous Olympus cameras done way better.

But I think sooner or later high ISO quality is going to be so good IS will almost become a useless feature.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Very likely, though IS will remain a must when shooting video. Perhaps this is what you meant when you said almost

 gkstar's gear list:gkstar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
binauralbeats
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to cosmonaut, 9 months ago

Personally, I would prefer IBIS by far to in lens IS.  I use manual focus lenses and it would be very nice to have IS with them.  Hopefully sony and other manufacturers will add IBIS to some cameras.

-- hide signature --

-Really there is a God... And She loves you and wants you to buy camera gear!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,971Gear list
Like?
Re: re: image stabilization? pretty useless for anything that moves (n/t)
In reply to gkstar, 9 months ago

Point taken and I agree.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,971Gear list
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to RonFrank, 9 months ago

RonFrank wrote:

Depends on what you shoot. I think it is useless in most lenses of 100mm or wider. WHY?

You can handhold a 20mm lens to 1/15 second but the subject matter will be blurry if it is breathing. If you are shooting landscapes there may not be anything alive in the shot, but the demand for small apertures is real unless you like blurry landscapes.

The need to shoot at slow shutter speeds is generally accompanied with a tripod as hand holding at half a second is a big challenge.

Where IS or VR is useful is shooting at 200mm and hand holding at 1/100.

I shoot the 70-400mm on the a7R quite often at 5000 ISO with zero issues. I get plenty of shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,971Gear list
Like?
Re: IBIS makes manufacturers LAZY
In reply to LeicaBOSS, 9 months ago

LeicaBOSS wrote:

Here's my issue. IS is sometimes great to have. Travel photos, lower light shots, environmental portraits, hanheld tele-nature, mammals...

AND In-lens stabilization is amazing. for long teles - the panning and stnadard IS can provide 4 stops of amazing goodness and a smooth, clear image in the viewfinder.

But IBIS is just not as good - and when you have it - the manufacturers get lazy and don't put the superior OSS/IS in the lenses - so you're left with kind of crap-tier IS when you need it, and crap-tier IS when you don't.

The reality is that they won't give you both - so I take no IBIS + in-lens IS as my preferred choice.

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

Well I had zero issues with Olympus IS before the new 5 point what ever it is now. The new IBIS just isn't as good in my experience and I also agree I have used Nikon VR lenses and in lens IS is better. IMO.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Absence Of Faith
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to binauralbeats, 9 months ago

I've read somewhere that in lens stabilization is generally more effective than IBIS. Is this true?

 Absence Of Faith's gear list:Absence Of Faith's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,971Gear list
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to binauralbeats, 9 months ago

binauralbeats wrote:

Personally, I would prefer IBIS by far to in lens IS. I use manual focus lenses and it would be very nice to have IS with them. Hopefully sony and other manufacturers will add IBIS to some cameras.

-- hide signature --

-Really there is a God... And She loves you and wants you to buy camera gear!

Well the old argument that IS lenses cost more is a thing of the past or will be. Tamron is charging the same price for the new A mount 150-600mm that don't have it as they are for the Nikon and Canon mounts which have it. Go figure. So Tamron is sticking it to the Sony shooters or giving the Canon, Nikon shooters a freebie, sadly.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,569Gear list
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to Absence Of Faith, 9 months ago

Absence Of Faith wrote:

I've read somewhere that in lens stabilization is generally more effective than IBIS. Is this true?

Depends on the system, lens, camera and user....

I like having stabilization but it is not the be all and end all.

I have a OSS Sony A7 kit lens, A Nikon VR stabilized kit lens, a Panasonic GX7 with IBIS, A Pentax KX with IBIS, have had a Olympus EPL2 and Pentax K100D with IBIS.

I love Pentax IBIS in low light with APSC DSLRs....I find I do not need it so much though with the A7 simply because higher ISOs are so good.

GX7 is ok with IBIS, Nikon lens VR ok also.     The OSS in the kit lens is impressive so far (not that I use it much) but might help to make the A7 kit lens a decent AF video lens.

 neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigley Ling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,341Gear list
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to Absence Of Faith, 9 months ago

Absence Of Faith wrote:

I've read somewhere that in lens stabilization is generally more effective than IBIS. Is this true?

At the moment I have a Panny 100-300 MEga OIS lens on loan for use on my Oly E-M1. Now we have the case where there is option for either optical stabilization or in body stabilization. I found the IBIS in the EM-1 far superior to the Mega OIS when it came to stills. But for video I prefer the Mega OIS as it is alot quieter, anyone that has used an E-M1 will notice the IBIS when it is on. Plus the Mega OIS just seems more pleasant for video

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,636Gear list
Like?
Re: Is image stabilization really the stuff?
In reply to cosmonaut, 9 months ago

IMO, stabilization is nice to have, but it's not mandatory, all I need to do is increase my shutter speed or use a tripod/monopod.

 Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads