NEX-7 vs A6000, any real difference other than PDAF?

Started 9 months ago | Questions
Vieito
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
NEX-7 vs A6000, any real difference other than PDAF?
9 months ago

I don't currently own either of these but was thinking of getting my hands on a second hand NEX-7... then I saw the A6000 announcement and got a bit confused on whether I should wait for it or not.

I understand the A6000 has better phase detection autofocus and a lower resolution viewfinder.

I would use this to shoot mostly landscapes, so if that is the extent of their differences I see little reason to wait for the A6000.

Thoughts? Is there anything else I'm missing at all?

(I'm thinking stuff that could affect the quality of my shots, not stuff like wifi).

Thanks

Vieito's gear list:Vieito's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483
Like?
Re: NEX-7 vs A6000, any real difference other than PDAF?
In reply to Vieito, 9 months ago

For shooting landscape the largest potential improvement would be the possible elimination or reduction of perimeter color shift from some wide angle lenses that was sometimes a problem for N7 users.  There seems to be some information to suggest that Sony may have corrected this N7 problem on the A6000.  We'll need to await testing to know for sure.

There is also a clear claim of better low light performance, but whether this is an issue for you is only for you to know.

However, the claimed big jump in auto-focus speed will affect you in another way if you buy the N7: It will probably cause a pretty big residual value drop in your N7 shortly after A6000 becomes widely available.  This is because the A6000 body is hitting the market at so much lower price than the N7 was at first.  The N7 used price is still being supported by its list price, which is about to become entirely artificial.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,837Gear list
Like?

AF is a big hit assuming it works well. No one seems to understand how to demonstrate this well.

A 24mpix sensor is the other big item. That may make it a bit nosier, waiting on reviews.

The other improvements are minor depending on how you use the camera.

If neither of these matters to you the Nex6 is a good value.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D1X Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +5 more
Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 729Gear list
Like?

Vieito wrote:

I don't currently own either of these but was thinking of getting my hands on a second hand NEX-7... then I saw the A6000 announcement and got a bit confused on whether I should wait for it or not.

I understand the A6000 has better phase detection autofocus and a lower resolution viewfinder.

I would use this to shoot mostly landscapes, so if that is the extent of their differences I see little reason to wait for the A6000.

Thoughts? Is there anything else I'm missing at all?

(I'm thinking stuff that could affect the quality of my shots, not stuff like wifi).

Thanks

It depends on what lenses you are using and if you mostly shoot in RAW or JPEG?

A6000 has gapless onsensor microlens design which should give a slightly better IQ with manual wide angle glass (less fringing issues), better high ISO performance, less noisy pictures (again if you shoot in low-light or not?), better dynamic range (a bit better, not a huge difference). Also A6000 has improved color filter that is supposedly giving more real colors, but then again how much work do you really do with tweaking and post-processing hues and what not in PS or LR (it may not be that important to you if you are not doing some calibration press work).

It also has quad-core chip (Bionz-X) same as in A7/R. Thus, new improved JPEG engine with better noise reduction like selective noise reduction that for example can reduce noise in underexposed areas, while leaving untouched the rest. It is a noticeable difference for JPEG shooters. Not so much for RAW.

A lower resolution EVF is a good thing because it improves battery performance and also has higher refresh rate and is a better EVF for low-light. As for pure resolution it remains to be seen how it will perform in real life, but so far the reviewers said only good things about it in comparison to NEX-7's EVF. However, theoretically, given the same tech. lower res should be "bad" for manual focus peaking (the thing is that it has improved tech inside, like better optics in front of EVF, better refresh rate, less noisy in low-light and so on). So it's hard to tell which EVF is really better. Time will tell.

So I expect A6000 to beat NEX-7 IQ by a small margin in DXO testings (maybe a bit better score, a bit better dynamic range due to gapless microlens design sensor, a substantially better high ISO performance compared to NEX-7).

Also with A6000 you'll have some other bonus options that NEX-7 doesn't have like dedicated MR mode on top dial, C1 & C2 dedicated buttons on body, and in total 7 customizable buttons - that should make usage and handling a bit more advanced compared to NEX-7.

Another small things: A6000 weight 344g vs 354g for NEX-7 (due to magnesium alloy of A6000). In camera MFNR, +/- 5 EV bracketing for AE and WB, Wi-Fi and NFC (which you said you don't care about), much bigger buffer that allows shooting/writing/viewing with less waiting. And finally improved focus algorithm (not only speed) but supposedly precision too. So again if you shoot in manual you may not care about it.

IMHO, fair price for A6000 is around $1000, but Sony really is pressing the competition, so I see no point to go for NEX-7, given the ridiculously low price of A6000 unless you really want to save a couple of bucks going with NEX-7 or if tri-navi is your fetish. Also, as other posters mentioned A6000 is a much better value/price, you get more camera for the money and A6000 will retain its value much better in the long run.

pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?

I´m looking for a nex6 or a6000, I´m pretty sure the nex6 would be sufficient for me, but I HATE the old newbish looking menus so much, while in the a6000 the option to select the video af speed transactions makes me want it even more, similar to the 70d but you can make it fast or slow.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,555Gear list
Like?

Vieito wrote:

Thanks

Just looking at the specs, I see no reason for you to get a NEX-7 as the newer camera should be better for what you want....everything else looks fairly similar.

The A6000 party trick (AF) may not be for you but the rest of it looks no worse really and I would expect IQ to be a bit better.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=sony_a6000&products=sony_nex7

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,573Gear list
Like?
In reply to Donny out of Element here, 9 months ago

Donny out of Element here wrote:

Vieito wrote:

Thanks

It depends on what lenses you are using and if you mostly shoot in RAW or JPEG?

A6000 has gapless onsensor microlens design which should give a slightly better IQ with manual wide angle glass (less fringing issues), better high ISO performance, less noisy pictures (again if you shoot in low-light or not?), better dynamic range (a bit better, not a huge difference). Also A6000 has improved color filter that is supposedly giving more real colors, but then again how much work do you really do with tweaking and post-processing hues and what not in PS or LR (it may not be that important to you if you are not doing some calibration press work).

It also has quad-core chip (Bionz-X) same as in A7/R. Thus, new improved JPEG engine with better noise reduction like selective noise reduction that for example can reduce noise in underexposed areas, while leaving untouched the rest. It is a noticeable difference for JPEG shooters. Not so much for RAW.

A lower resolution EVF is a good thing because it improves battery performance and also has higher refresh rate and is a better EVF for low-light. As for pure resolution it remains to be seen how it will perform in real life, but so far the reviewers said only good things about it in comparison to NEX-7's EVF. However, theoretically, given the same tech. lower res should be "bad" for manual focus peaking (the thing is that it has improved tech inside, like better optics in front of EVF, better refresh rate, less noisy in low-light and so on). So it's hard to tell which EVF is really better. Time will tell.

So I expect A6000 to beat NEX-7 IQ by a small margin in DXO testings (maybe a bit better score, a bit better dynamic range due to gapless microlens design sensor, a substantially better high ISO performance compared to NEX-7).

Also with A6000 you'll have some other bonus options that NEX-7 doesn't have like dedicated MR mode on top dial, C1 & C2 dedicated buttons on body, and in total 7 customizable buttons - that should make usage and handling a bit more advanced compared to NEX-7.

Another small things: A6000 weight 344g vs 354g for NEX-7 (due to magnesium alloy of A6000). In camera MFNR, +/- 5 EV bracketing for AE and WB, Wi-Fi and NFC (which you said you don't care about), much bigger buffer that allows shooting/writing/viewing with less waiting. And finally improved focus algorithm (not only speed) but supposedly precision too. So again if you shoot in manual you may not care about it.

IMHO, fair price for A6000 is around $1000, but Sony really is pressing the competition, so I see no point to go for NEX-7, given the ridiculously low price of A6000 unless you really want to save a couple of bucks going with NEX-7 or if tri-navi is your fetish. Also, as other posters mentioned A6000 is a much better value/price, you get more camera for the money and A6000 will retain its value much better in the long run.

The A6000 is certain to have "Airplane Mode" like the NEX-5T and the A7r before them. This should give the A6000 a big improvement in battery life over the NEX_6.

A7r tester : "What might be the difference: I immediately put the camera in ‘airplane mode’, which cuts the WiFi and NFC. I know from my smart phone that those options can draw a lot of energy. Also I put the ‘Auto Review’ to off. I guess these small tweaks can make a big difference."

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sar-readers-a7-and-a7r-test-roundup-chad-mike-pascal-lawrence-buzz-sanji-tobin-paul-michel-alik/

"One guy posted incredible battery life performance with the A7:

"I want to leave a comment about the battery life. yesterday I used the A7 for a real life test with the 35 mm FE lense and the nokton during a concert. I was testing a lot of things, MF and AF and so on. so I took a loot of pictures. and, I’m not kidding, I shot 1303 pictures with just one battery and I still have 27% power left in the battery."

Anyone else care to try and confirm or deny these reports. It's incredible that review sites don't test in airplane mode. I'm certainly going to keep wifi and nfc off while I'm shooting.

-- hide signature --
 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Samsung NX1000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +10 more
Juhaz
Regular MemberPosts: 324Gear list
Like?

Vieito wrote:

The firmware improvements. Ability to shoot HDR/bracketing with remote control could be useful for landscapes every now, and speaking of remote control, having a wired one available can't hurt. Apps might also come in handy every now and then for timelapses, etc.

Juhaz's gear list:Juhaz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,171Gear list
Like?
In reply to Juhaz, 9 months ago

Juhaz wrote:

Vieito wrote:

The firmware improvements. Ability to shoot HDR/bracketing with remote control could be useful for landscapes every now, and speaking of remote control, having a wired one available can't hurt. Apps might also come in handy every now and then for timelapses, etc.

I like to use the display level on the N7 for landscapes. I can't find that the A6000 has the feature. It would be an odd omission since it was present on the NEX-6 and 7. The specs for the A6000 don't list it as an option and all of the focus tests/reviews that show the screen don't have it. Here are the specs found on Sony's website for the display options.

• Graphic Display, Display All Info., No Disp. Info., Histogram
 PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7R
calxn
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?
Link?
In reply to wb2trf, 9 months ago

There 'seems' to be information?  I've been tracking this camera and have seen no evidence of improved corners.  Please provide links so I can read also.  Thanks.

Vinylly
Contributing MemberPosts: 550
Like?

I currently own the NEX-7 and have no intentions in trading it off for an A6000.  I like the 'tri-navigation system' and I'm used to it.  I also do city and landscapes.

jep10
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 9 months ago

I hope the A6000 has the display level. I use that feature virtually all the time.

jep10's gear list:jep10's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D610 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +6 more
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,912Gear list
Like?
In reply to jep10, 9 months ago

jep10 wrote:

I hope the A6000 has the display level. I use that feature virtually all the time.

I use it a lot as well - I hope we can get an answer on this question

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?

Don't really know... but my thoughts are...

A significant difference, IMO, is menu structure, now aligned with A7/R.  Then probably sensor upgrade, a lot of progress is being made lately.... when a 20 MP A3000 gets better lens scores on DxO than a (3 year old) 24MP NEX 7, I think sensor upgrade is the reason why. Accordingly, I'll predict the new 24MP sensor in the A6000 will outperform the NEX 7 24MP, even with the added PDAF.

Then.... I see an attempt to synch with FF E-mount A7/R  with established NEX.... over than the obvious lenses, flashes, and accessories... in buttons, controls,  and menu items  with A7/R that they see the future.... FF and APS-c can compliment each other.

Biggest difference....  loss of tri-navi and high res. EVF are sort of obvious and a deal breaker for many ... and maybe they should be... are they a hint of an A7000?

-- hide signature --

Dave

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,999Gear list
Like?
re: yes, dropping the electronic level would be pretty significant...
In reply to parallaxproblem, 9 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

jep10 wrote:

I use it a lot as well - I hope we can get an answer on this question

...downgrade for me as well - and hard to justify too

jpr2

Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,249Gear list
Like?

Don't know what all this is about. According to dpreview's side by side comparison, both have 24Mp sensors and the EVF resolution is not likely to be an issue, though the magnification may well be. It would appear that the main possible advantages of the a6000 are the availability of phase detection focus, if faster focus is required, the updated processor and small improvements here and there.

I really like my NEX 7 mainly because of the body format, which suits me fine. I also do a lot of landscapes and find the NEX 7 and 10-18 lens superb, being more versatile (and a lot lighter and more easily handled) than my D700 and 24mm.

wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483
Like?
Re: Link?
In reply to calxn, 9 months ago

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52351544

Your link. This is about the technology on the a7r, but Sony says the A6000 has this

wwwOKCOMEONcom
Regular MemberPosts: 458
Like?
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

did u use manual lens most ?
did u off Play Memories ?

DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,882
Like?
Autofocus

You're going to get yay or nay responses to both models. I've owned the NEX-7 and image quality is superior for its size but auto focusing in low light is almost non existent. You have to resort to manual focus With focus peaking in a grainy EVF.

I'm curious to see if this new alpha model will correct this. The improved menu, ability to auto bracket with remote, expanded EV and other features are a welcome addition,

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads